What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gruden resigning (1 Viewer)

Trust me. They have someone reading them. If they needed to, there's a list ready to go to justify firing every employee and it starts with emails and browsing history.
Far more likely there’s AI searching for content than having people actually read every email from every person in the system. I know when we have needed emails as evidence it takes entirely too long to get the relevant emails. Even for criminal matters (which doesn’t apply here)

Guarantee my employer would fire a supervisor expressing these opinions to colleagues. 
Depends who knows about, how much money that supervisor brings to the company, how much would it cost to replace him. If it's not really widely known and not very many people are complaining, they can let that slide for years until the guy started slipping in providing value to the company. Then suddenly "oh look what we found, Steve. Time for you to go."

Far more likely there’s AI searching for content than having people actually read every email from every person in the system. I know when we have needed emails as evidence it takes entirely too long to get the relevant emails. Even for criminal matters (which doesn’t apply here)
Absolutely. It's not people reading them. It's a query compiling them for key words and then someone reviews it periodically. 

Right, my company has over 16,000 email accounts to manage and we aren’t a tech company. Nobody in the world has time to read all those emails. 

here is where i take issue with it, is Gruden the only employee that supposedly sent out emails like this? i say supposedly because i have not seen any as of yet. if there are other people in the company that have emails like this but espn is not outing them now then i take issue with they are only witch hunting one guy.

Anyone pretending they weren't 100% aware of Grudens language and personality is kidding themselves.

It is absolutely part of what we all grew to love about the guy.  The reason he was so successful as a MNF announcer.

Who gives a #### if there were a million emails?
I never remember him making fun of gays or sending nudes of cheerleaders on MNF.

Coaches aren't union or management. They're in a never-never land because the football industry apparently exists outside of the word industry.

Whether that is right or not is up to you.
Every worker is able to organize, unless they are in a protected class of employee. That they choose not to is on them. 

There absolutely could (and maybe should) be a NFL Coaches union.

Told ya so

2020 cancel culture is real
Yes/no the first email could be plausibly explained. I called it a non-story in the Raiders thread because it was.

Read the others and it is obvious he became poison by his own actions. He is the only one to blame here.

That was some juvenile, highly offensive ##$#. Good people don't speak like that even in private emails.

One thing that continually shocks me is how people still don't understand that anytime you put something in digital form out on the internet it never comes back E-V-E-R!

Ever since the advent of email and social media two decades, or so,  ago I have told my employees, family, friends and anyone who would listen to never, ever put anything in an email, text, post etc that you wouldn't want to end up on the front page if the New York Times.

It's rule #1 of digital posting.

I am sure I have said the same in FBG forums a dozen times over the years.

As a Raider fan I'm disappointed this happened in-season, mostly because there isn't a viable replacement in house.

But I have no problem with him being gone. He deserved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not cancel culture.  this guy is/was an idiot and got caught.  plain and simple.  

i tell my 15 year old ALL THE TIME, don't ever post or send anything that you'll regret later.  "if your nana wouldn't like it, don't post/send it"   the internet is forever

Cancel culture's excuse is consequences..... consequences for him being exactly who we knew he was.  Exactly the screw the world hard ### personality the world adored.

Anyone pretending they weren't 100% aware of Grudens language and personality is kidding themselves.

It is absolutely part of what we all grew to love about the guy.  The reason he was so successful as a MNF announcer.

Who gives a #### if there were a million emails?
I have a tough time believing you loved racial slurs, misogyny and homophobic behavior about him. I sure that’s not what you’re trying to say.

Depends who knows about, how much money that supervisor brings to the company, how much would it cost to replace him. If it's not really widely known and not very many people are complaining, they can let that slide for years until the guy started slipping in providing value to the company. Then suddenly "oh look what we found, Steve. Time for you to go."
 Businesses vary but you’re not wrong. 

it's not cancel culture.  this guy is/was an idiot and got caught.  plain and simple.  

i tell my 15 year old ALL THE TIME, don't ever post or send anything that you'll regret later.  "if your nana wouldn't like it, don't post/send it"   the internet is forever
We often refer to the Washington Post test. Same idea. Don’t do or say #### you would be embarrassed to see on the front page. 

Yes/no the first email could be plausibly explained. I called it a non-story in the Raiders thread because it was.

Read the others and it is obvious he became poison by his own actions. He is the only one to blame here.

That was some juvenile, highly offensive ##$#. Good people don't speak like that even in private emails.

One thing that continually shocks me is how people still don't understand that anytime you put something in digital form out on the internet it never comes back E-V-E-R!

Ever since the advent of email and social media two decades, or so,  ago I have told my employees, family, friends and anyone who would listen to never, ever put anything in an email, text, post etc that you wouldn't want to end up on the front page if the New York Times.

It's rule #1 of digital posting.

As a Raider fan I'm disappointed this happened in-season, mostly because there isn't a viable replacement in house.

But I have no problem with him being gone. He deserved it.

"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink,"

I have a tough time believing you loved racial slurs, misogyny and homophobic behavior about him. I sure that’s not what you’re trying to say.

Of course not and everyone that knows Gruden has stood up for him not being any of those things.

I'm sure you knew that before posting this.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is where i take issue with it, is Gruden the only employee that supposedly sent out emails like this? i say supposedly because i have not seen any as of yet. if there are other people in the company that have emails like this but espn is not outing them now then i take issue with they are only witch hunting one guy.
I doubt ESPN is scanning the email content of all employees, and by policy I doubt they allow this. I think it's safe to sat that Gruden triggered an action where lawyers requested an eDiscovery request of his email. 

You make it sound like someone is sitting at a  desk and has free reign to browse everyone's email on a whim. ... which may be true at a small enterprise, but I suspect ESPN is sufficiently lawyered-up to prevent this type of event.

especially if the emails grossly disparage the CEO

Also depends on the recipient. Reportedly emails were sent to executives in the WFT org. 

So even if Gruden sent them from a private email, he may have sent them to a corporate recipient. 
That's an absurd and obscene (in the literal meaning of the word obscene, meaning "of the private sphere") standard to set. Let's ignore process and privacy and get to the heart of whether or not you're a bigot. That's what people seem to be saying to me.

Think about it. If a subject you believed in was considered taboo by the powers-that-be, and you expressed righteous dissent from the side of the subject not considered taboo, how would you feel if your work terminated your employment in an entirely different industry.

I don't like this at all because I think it has really far-reaching consequences.

For instance, I've been called "anti-trans" on this board by people who take radical positions about the issue. I would not want them controlling my employment in another industry.
This is a face of an organization, PR is part of that. Not to mention how this would impact his ability to lead a locker room. 

Haven’t read all the stuff yet but I’m guessing it’s pretty bad stuff.

This is a face of an organization, PR is part of that. Not to mention how this would impact his ability to lead a locker room. 

Haven’t read all the stuff yet but I’m guessing it’s pretty bad stuff.

We already know his locker room (past and present) had his back.

The locker room excuse is coming from a whole lot of people not in that locker room.

So true.

Most overrated coach IMO

Mayock belongs on NFLN

They made personnel decisions like it was 1970
Agreed. I thought Gruden got way too much credit for a dude who basically beat his old team using his old playbook with a team Tony Dungy built in TB. 

overrated coach for sure. 

I am curious about something: suppose that, instead of Jon Gruden, this was Tom Brady (or another major star on the field.) Would he be released? 

How much of this was the Raiders owner seeing the writing on the wall in year 4 of a 10 year, $100m contract and telling Goodell to give him a get out of jail free card. Saved a cool $65m. And I guarantee Mark Davis agreed with and said every same damn thing himself that Gruden has. 
totally agree with the first part.

not sure about the 2nd part.  dumb and dumber is a weird dude.  but  i've gained a bunch of respect for him over the last few years.  the no vax decision in regards to attending the stadium, took guts.  and his dad was seriously ahead of his time regarding minorities and women.  i obviously don't know the guy, but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I doubt ESPN is scanning the email content of all employees, and by policy I doubt they allow this. I think it's safe to sat that Gruden triggered an action where lawyers requested an eDiscovery request of his email. 

You make it sound like someone is sitting at a  desk and has free reign to browse everyone's email on a whim. ... which may be true at a small enterprise, but I suspect ESPN is sufficiently lawyered-up to prevent this type of event.
Agreed - either Gruden, or the recipient(s) of the emails. 

Once targeted, it’s too easy to scan using AI. 

Users who are viewing this thread