What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Battery Powered Mower Guys (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
I could not find a thread on this, link if you know of one.

Potentially buying a house with a small yard, small enough I think it would make sense to get a battery powered mower and avoid the gas cans, getting gas, etc.

Looking for some education and direction or suggestions on brands. Lot is about 1/4 acre and maybe a 1/3 of it has grass. It might take me 15 minutes to push mow it. 

Thanks in advance! 

Have an 80v Kobalt (Lowes brand).  Like it a lot.  Takes me a little over an hour to mow.  I would think battery powered would be prefect for you.  Are you interested in any other accessories?

I've only had it for 2 seasons so can't say much about durability.  Love the low maintenance, less noise, and not having to worry about having gas.

I had one. Worked like a champ for about 10 years with a yard a bit bigger than yours. Was a Black and Decker.

At the end it started having some trouble getting through grass that it previously didn’t have problems with I’m guessing due to battery getting weaker. 

Would buy again, Home Depot has plenty of options.

Would not do a hedge trimmer electric though. Bought one of those and that thing was worthless. Need the HP I guess for that work.  

You aren’t in Texas, are you? I’d sell you mine. It’s very good. Just after a few months I decided to get a company to do it. 

Have about 1/4 acre grass and would never go back to gas. I'd make sure self propelled (they mostly all may be nowadays but my first wasn't)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the two previous models to this one.  I absolutely loved them.  I never thought I'd care about a lawn mower.  They were much quieter than a gas mower, lighter, and easier to use.  It has two batteries, so you won't run out of juice.  And it mulches very well, so none of that annoying bagging of leaves.

I had Amazon deliver it right to my porch.  Mr R opened the side, removed some packing, lifted the handle into place, and rolled it out.  So keen.

I'm all in (for the most part) on the electric lawn equipment. I love the EGo brand that is sold at Lowes and online. The upside/downside is the batteries. Unless you want a ton of batteries and chargers, you need to stick to 1 brand. 

I have a 1/3 of an acre in NY. So I mow seasonally, do leaves in the fall and have some decent sized trees to keep trimmed. 

Overall, one huge benefit to all the equipment is simple starting. No pull cords or anything that would require throwing out a shoulder or hitting yourself in the face on the recoil. lol Its funny b/c after the lawn mower, my main reason to buying the electric gear is b/c my wife wanted to help with the lawn and I was sick of having to start all the equipment for her. 

I started with the mower, got it on a floor model clearance at HD (when they still sold Ego). Its super quite (someone walking by once stopped to ask if the mower was even on) , easy to adjust the height, and with the largest battery I can usually get my whole lawn done in 1 shot unless the grass is super high. However the best benefit is storage. With no fluids to worry about, I can fold it up to the size of a suitcase and take up very little shed space which is huge in the winter when I'm storing all my lawn furniture in there. 

My 2nd unit was the string trimmer. Holy heck, it is as powerful--if not more--than a gas one. Super light even with the smaller sized battery. My only problem is that I got it before they came out with the interchangeable pole. But I'll get to that.

My 3rd was the backpack blower.  I'll be honest, its not as good as gas powered. Its great for all the things listed above--easy start, lightweight, quiet, etc--but it just isnt as powerful as my gas powered. Esp in late fall when I'm doing heavy leaf blowing. I still keep my gas powered for this reason. But its great for easy summer work like blowing off the patio or the driveway when its mostly grass clippings or small sticks, etc. 

Next, we recently bought the edger. I'll be honest, its still in the box, I have not used it. But it has the interchangeable pole, which is huge b/c my next purchase will be the pole chain saw and I won't need to buy the main head part again, just the attachment. 

As for batteries, they are mostly interchangeable. I have 1 large one and 2 smaller ones. The large one will get me a full cut on the lawn, or a few hours out of the blower. Both units take a smaller battery as well, so if I cant get a full cut out of the big one, I can pop in a smaller one to finish up while the big one is recharging. Besides the trimmer (which for me takes very little battery time) I very rarely use all of the equipment in the same day, so like I won't be using the pole saw the same day as I mow, so I really don't need to buy a whole new battery just for the saw. 

Have an 80v Kobalt (Lowes brand).  Like it a lot.  Takes me a little over an hour to mow.  I would think battery powered would be prefect for you.  Are you interested in any other accessories?

I've only had it for 2 seasons so can't say much about durability.  Love the low maintenance, less noise, and not having to worry about having gas.
I don’t know about accessories yet. I may look at the price of mower and the accessories and then see how much it will cost to have a company cut the grass and maintain the yard. 

I had one. Worked like a champ for about 10 years with a yard a bit bigger than yours. Was a Black and Decker.

At the end it started having some trouble getting through grass that it previously didn’t have problems with I’m guessing due to battery getting weaker. 

Would buy again, Home Depot has plenty of options.

Would not do a hedge trimmer electric though. Bought one of those and that thing was worthless. Need the HP I guess for that work.  
10 years is impressive to me. Did not think they would last that long. 

I had the two previous models to this one.  I absolutely loved them.  I never thought I'd care about a lawn mower.  They were much quieter than a gas mower, lighter, and easier to use.  It has two batteries, so you won't run out of juice.  And it mulches very well, so none of that annoying bagging of leaves.

I had Amazon deliver it right to my porch.  Mr R opened the side, removed some packing, lifted the handle into place, and rolled it out.  So keen.
So you have had two battery powered mowers? What was their life span? Did you get the second one because the first one died? 

I'm all in (for the most part) on the electric lawn equipment. I love the EGo brand that is sold at Lowes and online. The upside/downside is the batteries. Unless you want a ton of batteries and chargers, you need to stick to 1 brand. 

I have a 1/3 of an acre in NY. So I mow seasonally, do leaves in the fall and have some decent sized trees to keep trimmed. 

Overall, one huge benefit to all the equipment is simple starting. No pull cords or anything that would require throwing out a shoulder or hitting yourself in the face on the recoil. lol Its funny b/c after the lawn mower, my main reason to buying the electric gear is b/c my wife wanted to help with the lawn and I was sick of having to start all the equipment for her. 

I started with the mower, got it on a floor model clearance at HD (when they still sold Ego). Its super quite (someone walking by once stopped to ask if the mower was even on) , easy to adjust the height, and with the largest battery I can usually get my whole lawn done in 1 shot unless the grass is super high. However the best benefit is storage. With no fluids to worry about, I can fold it up to the size of a suitcase and take up very little shed space which is huge in the winter when I'm storing all my lawn furniture in there. 

My 2nd unit was the string trimmer. Holy heck, it is as powerful--if not more--than a gas one. Super light even with the smaller sized battery. My only problem is that I got it before they came out with the interchangeable pole. But I'll get to that.

My 3rd was the backpack blower.  I'll be honest, its not as good as gas powered. Its great for all the things listed above--easy start, lightweight, quiet, etc--but it just isnt as powerful as my gas powered. Esp in late fall when I'm doing heavy leaf blowing. I still keep my gas powered for this reason. But its great for easy summer work like blowing off the patio or the driveway when its mostly grass clippings or small sticks, etc. 

Next, we recently bought the edger. I'll be honest, its still in the box, I have not used it. But it has the interchangeable pole, which is huge b/c my next purchase will be the pole chain saw and I won't need to buy the main head part again, just the attachment. 

As for batteries, they are mostly interchangeable. I have 1 large one and 2 smaller ones. The large one will get me a full cut on the lawn, or a few hours out of the blower. Both units take a smaller battery as well, so if I cant get a full cut out of the big one, I can pop in a smaller one to finish up while the big one is recharging. Besides the trimmer (which for me takes very little battery time) I very rarely use all of the equipment in the same day, so like I won't be using the pole saw the same day as I mow, so I really don't need to buy a whole new battery just for the saw. 

What type of $ do you think you have in  for the whole set? 

What type of $ do you think you have in  for the whole set? 
hmmm...I want to say the mower was a bout $250ish. It was a floor model/open box deal. I found out I got screwed on the battery, they gave me one of the medium sized one b/c it was out of the box and thats the only one they could find in the store. I tried to complain but they told me the best I could do was return it, but I decided not to. I looked to buy a large individual battery but they are super expensive, like $300+

The string trimmer was prob $200 and it came with the smallest battery. 

The backpack blower was about $400, but the real deal was that it came with the big battery. So knowing what the battery cost on its own, I was really getting the blower for $100 and now had the big battery for my mower. 

The edger was about $180 w/o the battery 

and the pole saw will be about $150, just the attachment to use with the edger head. 

Its really a battery game. As mentioned, alone they are really expensive. So you need to think about your usage and mix and match battery vs equipment use to make the most out of the gear w/o blowing a ton of money. I went slow, I think the mower is 3 years old now (and running fine) and I added a new piece each season. 

So you have had two battery powered mowers? What was their life span? Did you get the second one because the first one died? 
The first one lasted about fifteen years.  We gave the second one away when we moved and got a lawn service.   Usually, "new and improved" doesn't mean a whole lot, but technology had really moved on.  They were easy to use, quiet, and didn't weigh all that much.  That second one went through our Texas grass like a hot knife through butter.  The mower I linked comes with two batteries.  They were easy to use.  Mr R really hated the string starters.  The electric starter is totally easy.

I also had a cordless Black and Decker edger/weed eater.  Very nice.

Northern Virginia.

What does the company do for you? Just cut the grass? How often? How much? 

My yard is mostly xeriscaped. The grass is just a smaller portion of the yard so that the dog has somewhere to do his business. 

The company cuts the grass, edges, weeds. They don't do a fantastic job - but I really hate doing that stuff.

If you really think it will only take ~15min it would be very tempting to get one of these and simply hang it on the wall of the garage I would think.....

https://www.amazon.com/Great-States-815-18-18-Inch-5-Blade/dp/B0007ZK5V2/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=push+mower&qid=1634037755&sr=8-6
Our grass would laugh at that.  The first thing my dad did when we moved here was go and get a real lawn mower.  The push thing worked in Chicago but not here.

(We got rid of the snow shovel, too.)

Same here -- same mower, same yard size, approximately the same time frame (I'm on season 3).  I can cut my whole yard on one charge, although it gets pretty tight if the grass is unusually tall.  One the rare occasions where I need to re-charge, it basically amounts to a 20 minute break just to let the battery get enough juice to finish it off.

As you note, there's essentially no maintenance.  I haven't even re-sharpened the blades yet although I should really do so before I put the mower away for the winter.  The mower is quiet enough that I could cut grass at 2:00 in the morning and nobody would know.  It's easy to listen to music or podcasts or whatever without needing to turn up the volume to deafening levels.  And it's nice not having to keep gasoline around.  I would not even consider going back to a gas-powered mower now that I'm used to electric.

Eco Brand anything is the best option.  In my opinion they make the best batteries....and their batteries fit all their equipment.  

I've been thru Ryobi batteries.  If you run it dead its hard to get it back charging.  If you never run it dead its been okay, but 3 or 4 times I've had to put it on and off the charger 50+ times to get it to get enough juice to start charging again.  

I have a Kobalt 80v weed eater and blower, again the batteries suck.  The charging base over charges them.  You have to remember to pull it off the charger or it will be all but dead when you need it.  

I had a greenworks mower at one point and it was fine, but its only for light use.  No issues, just wasn't powerful.  

Currently trying to replace all my tools with ECO brand.  I just got the hedge trimmers and they're awesome. Better than any plug in trimmers I've ever used.  The charging base is sophisticated.  It has some sort of cooling fan on it and will shut off when the battery is charged.  

I got the EGO 650 clearanced when HD stopped carrying them... that thing is a monster... every bit as powerful as my old gas blowers

hmmm...I want to say the mower was a bout $250ish. It was a floor model/open box deal. I found out I got screwed on the battery, they gave me one of the medium sized one b/c it was out of the box and thats the only one they could find in the store. I tried to complain but they told me the best I could do was return it, but I decided not to. I looked to buy a large individual battery but they are super expensive, like $300+

The string trimmer was prob $200 and it came with the smallest battery. 

The backpack blower was about $400, but the real deal was that it came with the big battery. So knowing what the battery cost on its own, I was really getting the blower for $100 and now had the big battery for my mower. 

The edger was about $180 w/o the battery 

and the pole saw will be about $150, just the attachment to use with the edger head. 

Its really a battery game. As mentioned, alone they are really expensive. So you need to think about your usage and mix and match battery vs equipment use to make the most out of the gear w/o blowing a ton of money. I went slow, I think the mower is 3 years old now (and running fine) and I added a new piece each season. 
I need to get the edger and blower.  One more battery just for the sake of letting the kids help.  

I swear I've been thru them all, ECO absolutely blows the other away.  

I got the EGO 650 clearanced when HD stopped carrying them... that thing is a monster... every bit as powerful as my old gas blowers
thats the hand held one, right?  Maybe that one is better, but the backpack is just ok. It has a Boost button which works well, but they say it drains the battery faster, and when we are blowing heavy maple leaves here in the NorthEast in fall, that wouldn't get me through it. 

Blackdot. 

Currently have an old Honda GCV-160 Self Propelled mower that's about 20-25 years old. Left it out an entire winter in rain/snow. Still fired up. Cylinder head has been half blown out on it for about 7-8 years so it's loud as hell... mechanic said could last another year or could keep running forever.

So far, it's still going and still ####### starts on the first pull pretty much every time :lol:   

EVENTUALLY whenever this thing dies I'm going electric self-propelled since we've got a small lot. Takes me about 15-20 mins. 

Currently have Greenworks 40V Chain-saw & Pole saw that I'm a big fan of. Solid power and reliability for a few seasons now. Would prefer to stick with that ecosystem for battery simplicity.. however if 80V is really needed then I'd be okay with changing out Brands/platforms. 

• Laughing
Reactions: KGB
I have everything Ryobi and will not go back to gas.  Everything I have uses the same batteries so I have never run out of juice.

I started with the string trimmer with exchangable attachments to replace my Ryobi gas unit.  All of the same attachments I already own (hedge trimmer, blower and  edger) still work.  The only time I have an issue is edging when I have not done it in a few weeks.  If I try to go too fast the unit stalls, but after about 30 seconds it starts again.

I then bought the mower and it works great.  It is very lightweight and easy to use.  It is all plastic and seems like it will be much less durable than the Honda I replaced, but so far I have had it two seasons without issue.

I finally added a pole saw which works great for trimming the trees up to 2-3 inches in diameter. 

Looks like lots of people are happy with Ego brand electric tools. I've got a Ryobi mower, trimmer, leaf blower, and chainsaw and am very happy with them as well. We've had the mower 4 summers and it handles our 1/3 of an acre well. Mine is NOT self-propelled but that doesn't bother me because the mower is super light and is easy to push. 

I'm anxiously awaiting the day somebody creates an electric two-stage snow blower at a reasonable cost. That'll be sweet if/when those are available and strong enough for a MN snow. 

thats the hand held one, right?  Maybe that one is better, but the backpack is just ok. It has a Boost button which works well, but they say it drains the battery faster, and when we are blowing heavy maple leaves here in the NorthEast in fall, that wouldn't get me through it. 
Yep... hand held.  What CFM is your backpack?  That makes all the difference.  650 handles my MidWest maple leaves just fine.

Got an Ego about 4-5 years ago. It takes me about an hour to mow. It used to make it the whole hour. Just this year, it started being hit-or-miss depending on how high the grass is and whether Im bagging (stopping and starting more often). So battery life is an issue. I also had to have it repaired once (cable broke). It was under warranty, so I took it back to HD. Took about 2 months to fix it, so that was a PITA. I really do like it much better than a gasser though. All things considered, I would buy again.

I mow about 4-5 acres and am really thinking of going EV ZT this year.  I use a Commercial gas 60" now and I'm not spending $20k+ for a Commercial EV ZT to keep that 60"+ deck.  Really want one of these 52" EGOs since I have other EGO products and love them.  Plus the batteries are all interchangeable.  Finding one might be really tough though.   

Anyone have one of the Ryobi or Cub EV ZT's?  Those seem to be a lot more avail and sometimes can even find in stock at a HomeDepot.  

As many have alluded to, you want to get the same brand of trimmer/blower so you can switch them out when one gets low or overheats. 

Anyone have a robot mower yet?  Our rider is on its last leg and I really want to just get a robot to mow.  2 challenges for me are yard size (about .75 acre) and in ground dog fence which means the wires could potentially cancel each other out.  Need a GPS unit, which seems not be be available in the US yet.

Hey Mrs R - you still enjoy this one?  I'm looking for a Father's Day gift for myself and have settled on an electric mower.  This is the right price point for me.  

Hey Mrs R - you still enjoy this one?  I'm looking for a Father's Day gift for myself and have settled on an electric mower.  This is the right price point for me.  
I would, but we moved four years ago.  We inherited yard guys from the previous owner.  I don't miss mowing, but I kind of miss the mower.

I was just at a local shop having an old Ryobi blower fixed and a Stihl hedge trimmer.  I asked them about the battery equipment (Stihl) and they said compared to the icb they have very little problems so far.

I was just at a local shop having an old Ryobi blower fixed and a Stihl hedge trimmer.  I asked them about the battery equipment (Stihl) and they said compared to the icb they have very little problems so far.
In the recent months I bought the ryobi electric mower (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40V-HP-Brushless-20-in-Cordless-Electric-Battery-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Mower-with-6-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-RY401180VNM/317061072) and have added their edger and hedger from the 40v line.  All three have worked excellent.   

I got the EGO self propelled. I can cut  my smallish yard and have about a third battery leftover.

Only thing about it thart don't like is the turning is clunky. You have to take your hand off the self propelled button but keep a hand on the dead man's control.

Looking to switch from gas to electric for all my lawn care stuff...my gas Troy-bilt trimmer/edger finally bit the dust and I'm shopping for cordless trimmer/edger combos for now, and will add hedge trimmer and mower next spring...I've got a nice little gas leaf  lower thats only a couple years old, so I'll keep that until it dies....

Anyone use Worx products? They seem to make every list of best electric trimmers/edger, more specifically this one:

Worx WG170 GT Revolution 20V 12 Inch Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower (Batteries & Charger Included)

https://a.co/d/0RPIn5c

Since I'd want to stick with one brand for battery compatibility, I'm looking for opinions on the Worx brand overall or if I should play it safe and go with a better known bra d like Ryobi, EGO, Black & Decker, etc.

Looking to switch from gas to electric for all my lawn care stuff...my gas Troy-bilt trimmer/edger finally bit the dust and I'm shopping for cordless trimmer/edger combos for now, and will add hedge trimmer and mower next spring...I've got a nice little gas leaf  lower thats only a couple years old, so I'll keep that until it dies....

Anyone use Worx products? They seem to make every list of best electric trimmers/edger, more specifically this one:

Worx WG170 GT Revolution 20V 12 Inch Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower (Batteries & Charger Included)

https://a.co/d/0RPIn5c

Since I'd want to stick with one brand for battery compatibility, I'm looking for opinions on the Worx brand overall or if I should play it safe and go with a better known bra d like Ryobi, EGO, Black & Decker, etc.
As I've said upthread, I'm very happy with my Ego lawn care products. Def smart to stay with the same brand for battery reasons and so far I am not disappointed in any of the products I've bought from them. 4+ years now on my mower and the battery still stays strong

IDK about Workx but I know my local lowes carries Ego so if I need something i can pretty much get it right away.

As I've said upthread, I'm very happy with my Ego lawn care products. Def smart to stay with the same brand for battery reasons and so far I am not disappointed in any of the products I've bought from them. 4+ years now on my mower and the battery still stays strong

IDK about Workx but I know my local lowes carries Ego so if I need something i can pretty much get it right away.
Lowes and Ace are the primary distributors of Ego... but you can get them online too from many places.  As I've also mentioned above... love my Ego tools.

Users who are viewing this thread