What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you acknowledge strangers? (1 Viewer)

I typically...

• wave

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • head nod up

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • head nod down

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • smile

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • say some variation of "hey/hello"

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • turn away quickly and act like you weren't looking at him.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • keep staring but don't acknowledge him.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
Example scenario:  You walk outside to get the mail and see a landscape worker on your neighbor's lawn.  You also catch his attention so now you're both looking at each other.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Stranger: nod down with some sort of "hi".   

I only do a nod up if I know the person and am excited to see them.      

nod and “morning” “afternoon” “evening” 

I just realized my head nod is just a downward notion and not a up down nod, hmmm

normally i just start singing thriller and do entire dance routine and sometimes if i am lucky 25 to 30 of my fellow brohans who happen to be in the area will show up dressed up like zombies and mummies and warewolfs and join in for a perfect rendition take that to the bank brohans 

I don't even think I know how to head nod down? Always a nod up for me

I was also trying to figure this out.  I had to actually go through the motion to see what I do and realized I never do a head nod down.  That seems like a bow or an affirmative nod.  Not an acknowledgement as a greeting.  

I was also trying to figure this out.  I had to actually go through the motion to see what I do and realized I never do a head nod down.  That seems like a bow or an affirmative nod.  Not an acknowledgement as a greeting.  
its a lot like a curtsey take that to the bank bromigo

Nod up has more of a “I’m open to having a duel” fee to it. 

Nod down is “ Hello”, begrudgingly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even think I know how to head nod down? Always a nod up for me
Weird. It's the opposite for me. Always a nod down. 

Will maybe do a "good morning" or a "hey how are ya?" if the business empatically nods back and holds eye contact for more than a brief moment. 

head nod up. 

If I get a response back then I'll flash the peace sign across my chest horizontally. 

normally i just start singing thriller and do entire dance routine and sometimes if i am lucky 25 to 30 of my fellow brohans who happen to be in the area will show up dressed up like zombies and mummies and warewolfs and join in for a perfect rendition take that to the bank brohans 
That rendition ain't perfect until you get a Vincent Price impersonater and they don't have those at the bank. 

• Sad
Reactions: SWC
I've done a lot of that depending on my mood and often combinations (except staring).

But then again, I live in the Midwest where we actually consider other human beings as something of value.

Agree with this. Nod up is a genuine "happy to see you" reaction. Nod down is more "damn, you caught me looking". Im definitely more of a nod-downer.
Nod down is more of a "tip of the cap" type gesture for me.  I use it on occasion.  

I've done a lot of that depending on my mood and often combinations (except staring).

But then again, I live in the Midwest where we actually consider other human beings as something of value.
It's funny, I've spent significant time living in both Minnesota and eastern PA and there is a stark contrast to how people interact with one another (I've now lived in AZ for 13 years but there isn't really any sort of comprable significance to how people act towards one another). 

In Minnesota, my experience is that people are incredibly nice to one another (including strangers) when they directly interact, but they're more prone to be critical of each other behind their backs. 

In Pennsylavnia, my experience is that people are blunt and rude to one another (and would never think of acknlowedging a stranger) directly, but don't really talk much #### about each other behind closed doors. 

I'm not sure which is better. In PA it's certainly less pleasant being on the roads and in public, but you're never left wondering about how somebody actually thinks of you whereas in Minnesota you could find out years later that somebody didn't like you all along and you never knew it. 

It's funny, I've spent significant time living in both Minnesota and eastern PA and there is a stark contrast to how people interact with one another (I've now lived in AZ for 13 years but there isn't really any sort of comprable significance to how people act towards one another). 

In Minnesota, my experience is that people are incredibly nice to one another (including strangers) when they directly interact, but they're more prone to be critical of each other behind their backs. 

In Pennsylavnia, my experience is that people are blunt and rude to one another (and would never think of acknlowedging a stranger) directly, but don't really talk much #### about each other behind closed doors. 

I'm not sure which is better. In PA it's certainly less pleasant being on the roads and in public, but you're never left wondering about how somebody actually thinks of you whereas in Minnesota you could find out years later that somebody didn't like you all along and you never knew it. 
in wisconsin we all talk crap about minnesota but it isnt behind your back we just tell the truth that minnesota should be bulldozed in to a huge crater filled with water and turned into a bass fishin hole take that to the bank brohans 

in wisconsin we all talk crap about minnesota but it isnt behind your back we just tell the truth that minnesota should be bulldozed in to a huge crater filled with water and turned into a bass fishin hole take that to the bank brohans 

What do you say about the FIPS?

But then where would Wisconsin's brightest students go to get a good college education?

But then where would Wisconsin's brightest students go to get a good college education?
it wouldnt impact them take that to the bank brohan 

Usually nod down and give them a confident "good morning", and then without fail about 30 seconds later realize it's actually afternoon or evening. 
I don't know if it was shtick or habit, but I knew a waitress that would always answer the phone "Good Morning", even if it was ten o'clock at night.

Nod down for hello to strangers. I nod up only if the other person did so first. Generally I find it rude for someone to stick their nose up in the air.

Big fan of the head nod up sometimes combine that with a quick little wave, by wave I mean hand up and back down, not any side to side b.s.

Users who are viewing this thread