What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 6 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

A couple notes:

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Joe Burrow @ Det or Kareem Hunt v Arizona

3) Of course important league considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

ETA: 4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

So, let's hear 'em!

Thanks as always to @Helaire-ious for starting this.

As always I am keeping a running total of my "correct" calls of head-2-head questions (I am not going to try and track accuracy when picking from larger sets "choose 2 of these 5" type questions) and I am comparing my guesses with a random coin flip just for fun. I use my league's scoring system (PPR, 15 yards rush/receiving = 1 point, 50 yards passing = 1 point, 4 pts/pass TD, 6 pts/rush TD, with some minor yardage bonuses for TD length).

Last week in head-2-head calls I went 24-17, the coin toss went 17-24

On the season I am 57-47 in my head-2-head calls and the coin toss is 45-59

I think I'm going McLaurin, DeVonta Smith, and Claypool in my 1/2 point PPR. Need to decide on a flex between AJ Brown and Kadarius Toney (depending on the injury report). Leaning Toney if everything checks out, but curious to see some opinions...

I think I'm going McLaurin, DeVonta Smith, and Claypool in my 1/2 point PPR. Need to decide on a flex between AJ Brown and Kadarius Toney (depending on the injury report). Leaning Toney if everything checks out, but curious to see some opinions...
I can't argue with your choices, they make sense for the most part.  Just curious why no faith in Brown? I hate to try and lock down timing of these things but I imagine a correction is coming for AJ with Buf & KC on deck.

I'm not a huge DeVonta backer because I really don't trust Hurts as a passer yet and short weeks are always more difficult to predict.  But TB is a great matchup and Smith has been getting looks.

For me it comes down to AJ v Smith, I lean Smith ATM but in my mind it's close.

I'm facing some tough choices & RB this week. I need to choose two of these guys.

Josh Jacobs @ Den - this would normally be an easy call but...well y'know

Javonte v LV

Zack Moss @ Tenn

Damien Williams v GB

I could sit one of these guys at Flex but my only option would be Henry Ruggs and I just don't know what to do with LV players ATM

Right now I have Jacobs & Williams in my lineup, but could easily see going with Moss & Javonte.

I'm facing some tough choices & RB this week. I need to choose two of these guys.

Josh Jacobs @ Den - this would normally be an easy call but...well y'know

Javonte v LV

Zack Moss @ Tenn

Damien Williams v GB

I could sit one of these guys at Flex but my only option would be Henry Ruggs and I just don't know what to do with LV players ATM

Right now I have Jacobs & Williams in my lineup, but could easily see going with Moss & Javonte.
Love Javonte talent-wise but Gordon just limits his upside IMO. Both he and Moss are kind of right around 10-14 carries with maybe a couple of catches mixed in. I think they're maybe a little too TD dependent. Damien could be argued to be in the same category since Herbert got so much work, but I like his potential to have 7 or 8 catches if the game script gets away from Chicago and still give you a nice game. And Jacobs is still the bellcow. Drake is supposed to be the receiving back, but he doesn't seem to eat into Jacobs volume too badly. I'd expect the Raiders to play hard, as the coach is gone and everyone should be playing for jobs. Can't imagine anyone wanting to put bad film out there.

ETA--changed my mind a day after in a later post. An example of the 2nd-guessing we all experience each week with these decisions 

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston turmOiler said:
Love Javonte talent-wise but Gordon just limits his upside IMO. Both he and Moss are kind of right around 10-14 carries with maybe a couple of catches mixed in. I think they're maybe a little too TD dependent. Damien could be argued to be in the same category since Herbert got so much work, but I like his potential to have 7 or 8 catches if the game script gets away from Chicago and still give you a nice game. And Jacobs is still the bellcow. Drake is supposed to be the receiving back, but he doesn't seem to eat into Jacobs volume too badly. I'd expect the Raiders to play hard, as the coach is gone and everyone should be playing for jobs. Can't imagine anyone wanting to put bad film out there.
Pretty much exactly where I'm at.

Moss & Javonte could easily finish as the top 2 of my four options but the talent gap isn't huge, and is debatable either way, and opportunities favor Damien & Jacobs.

Thanks.

RB - javonte or Darrel? (Williams) ppr 

The other or Davis Mills superflex
I have no idea what to expect from either Darrel Williams or the Raiders defense.

CEH had 17, 13, 19 & 17 touches in his four full games.  Is Williams good enough as a player to get all of that? I am skeptical, he couldn't out touch old & busted LeSean McCoy two years ago or old & busted LeVeon Bell last year. McKinnon's best days are probably behind him as well considering they were two teams ago, he's 29 too.

And is the KC RB really a must start position? Through the first four weeks CEH was RB 21 in my league (PPR, 1 pt/15 yards rush or receiving, 6 pts/TD), that's low end RB2 production and it was two terrible games and two solid games.  Very iffy IMO.

Javonte is very fun to watch, he looks legit every time he touches the ball but he's clearly capped by Gordon's presence. He has a plus matchup but what Raider team is going to show up? The one that got torched for 37 carries by Damien Williams & Khalil Herbert? Or does this team circle the wagons now that Gruden is gone.

Oooof...I lean Javonte because of the better matchup at home. Honestly it's not that close for me right now mostly because I need to see Darrel Williams actually do something that makes him worth starting before I actually start him. Javonte hasn't lit the world on fire, and is absolutely TD dependent but his talent pops whenever he is on the field.

Houston turmOiler said:
If AJB starts, go AJB

1/2 PPR - Need 2

Damien Williams vs GB

AJ Brown vs BUF

C.Sutton vs LV

E.Sanders @ TEN

K.Toney vs LAR

Thanks!
These are tough calls. The good news is no matter how it turns out you really shouldn't regret whichever decisions you make.

I think Toney should be ruled out for now until we get clarity on Daniel Jones concussion and Toney's ankle/foot.

I understand being bearish on AJ, what's going on there? Personally I think a correction is coming, the real question is when. Bills & Chiefs on deck both at home both seem like real opportunities. I understand waiting until next week but I personally hate missing a good correction more than choosing the wrong guy.

Sutton has been legit Jekyll & Hyde so far, won't even try to predict it. But he definitely has talent and this looks like a very plus matchup. Raiders down two DBs and chaos in the building. Circle the wagons or complete collapse? If I knew I would be getting paid for this. I lean a little towards the wagons. I expect to see a lot of Melvin & Javonte early to test the waters and if they're successful it may be a long day for Sutton owners. Tough one to predict.

I love what Sanders is doing in Buffalo. There are a lot of mouths to feed but a lot of points to go around. He doesn't get a high opportunity share (6 targets/game) but he does a lot with them. However compared to you other options I like the guys with a shot at more opportunities.

Damien Williams seems like a decent floor guy with a moderate ceiling too. I didn't like that Herbert got 18 carries last week but Williams got 16 carries & 3 targets while Herbert had 0 targets. Facing Green Bay I have to think Williams will be more necessary than Herbert because of receiving ability. He could get you 6 receptions and maybe 12-15 carries. Decent shot at a TD...maybe.

If you're looking for all upside go AJ & Sutton (maybe Toney if Jones plays).

You're safe floor options are probably Williams & Sanders.

Personally I probably go with Williams & AJ.

Byes have lead me to trouble at the RB2 spot.

Gainwell vs TB on Thursday night in what could be a catch-up game if TB gets out to an early lead.

Or

AJ Dillon @ Chicago in a system where he seems to be getting more and more involved each week and I feel like the Packers should handle the Bears.

Non PPR

One thing to note is my opponent will likely be starting Sanders on Thursday night… so it’s a double positive of sorts if Gainwell were to outproduce him due to game script. But I just don’t trust it.

Houston turmOiler said:
Both good options. My gut says AJ Brown because he’s due, and I could see the Bills going up early and TN needing to play from behind, where they will still lean on Henry but maybe not as much. Though the Giants always seem to be playing from behind.

I created a catch-all thread for the SP because the AC is a barren wasteland of sadness & despair. People have these questions and I am trying to provide a one stop shop.

@Joe Bryant was okay with thread in the SP a couple weeks ago but it's always up for review.
Gotcha....was just curious. thanks

Thanks for doing this. 

standard scoring, need one from the following for flex

T.Boyd @ Detroit - horrible stats last week, hard to trust

M.Pittman vs Houston - interesting usage and good matchup?

K.Toney vs Rams - Assuming he plays of course

I created a catch-all thread for the SP because the AC is a barren wasteland of sadness & despair. People have these questions and I am trying to provide a one stop shop.

@Joe Bryant was okay with thread in the SP a couple weeks ago but it's always up for review.

Yes. This seems like a good compromise. 

It's also an excellent way to see who contributes. People are much more likely to help people who also contribute. 

Thanks for doing this. 

Boyd isn't an option IMO.

As of Wednesday 10/13 I think you have to go with Pittman here.

He's the #1 target on his team, he is getting consistent looks and the Colts look like they are improving. It was a heartbreak loss for sure but I don't think they fold anymore than they did when they were 1-3. It's maybe an easy-ish game on paper but even if they roll Houston I don't think they are good enough to be in full grind out the clock mode until the 4th quarter so if they are up big it is probably because Pittman made a contribution.

I love what I am seeing from Toney and the Giants offense as a whole. I might have him above Pittman if his health were clear and if we knew where Jones is in the concussion protocol.  If Jones is cleared and Toney gets in full practices on Thursday & Friday then I would not argue with putting him over Pittman. He may be more of a boom/bust guy than Pittman but he sure is exciting to watch.

Pittman for now.

Thanks for doing this. 

Boyd has only produced this year in games that Higgins missed. Otherwise he's been largely invisible.

I agree on Pittman over Toney, unless you're a big underdog in which case maybe you shoot the moon with Toney (that also presupposes that not only does he play, but Jones does as well. If it's Glennon then the decision is a no-brainer)

Here are the dilemmas I'm facing. Bolded names are where I'm currently leaning

PPR league

• Jacobs @ Den
  • Damien Williams vs GB
  • Darrel Williams @ Wash
Standard league

• Toney vs LAR
  • Patrick vs LV
(separate decision)

• McKissick vs KC
  • Gainwell vs TB 
  • McKinnon @ Wash
  • Herbert vs GB
0.5 PPR league

• Booker vs LAR
  • Javonte vs LV
  • DHarris vs Dal 

Houston turmOiler said:
Both good options. My gut says AJ Brown because he’s due, and I could see the Bills going up early and TN needing to play from behind, where they will still lean on Henry but maybe not as much. Though the Giants always seem to be playing from behind.
Having drafted Brown as my WR1, I know I'm going to have a really hard time sitting him even if he has another couple of down weeks. So in your situation I think I would start him over Toney because he's a more proven commodity but I agree it's close. Ultimately comes down to what you believe is more predictive: long-term history or the past couple weeks.

Here are the dilemmas I'm facing. Bolded names are where I'm currently leaning

PPR league

• Jacobs @ Den
  • Damien Williams vs GB
  • Darrel Williams @ Wash
Standard league

• Toney vs LAR
  • Patrick vs LV
(separate decision)

• McKissick vs KC
  • Gainwell vs TB 
  • McKinnon @ Wash
  • Herbert vs GB
0.5 PPR league

• Booker vs LAR
  • Javonte vs LV
  • DHarris vs Dal 
Your first dilemma is too many leagues  :D .

1) I can't trust Darrell Williams until I see him actually do something on the field.  For the past two seasons he hasn't been about to out touch LeSean McCoy or LeVeon Bell. I assume he'll get the start and majority of the action but how much will that really be? Does he get CEH's 17 touches/game?  I can't count on that.

I have both Damien & Jacobs on my redraft and I have them both in my lineup ATM.  If I had any clue about what was gong on in Las Vegas I would easily say go with Jacobs, and it's still close, but if they have a full on implosion and Denver rolls them I would expect Richard to eat into Jacobs's workload a lot more.

Damien has a clearer path IMO.  I don't like that Herbert got so many touches but he didn't see a target so I think Damien's role is safe.  In what looks like a game where Chi will have to play some catch up I think Damien is a slightly safer option.

That being said, I personally would bet on Jacobs.  Better talent, also a 3 down & goal line player.

2) If Daniel Jones plays Toney unquestionably.  If Mike Glennon plays...still Toney.  Glennon targeted him 8 times hitting 6 for 106 yards or something like that (you should check my math).  I am probably a little hard on Patrick overall.  He's a good player and he has had some decent games.  I think his target share is very hit or miss which makes him heavily TD dependent.  But if Toney gets good practice reports tomorrow & Friday I think you have to go with the better talent.

3) I agree. McKissic is more of a receiving guy and probably too TD dependent but against that defense how can you not start him? I do see an argument for Herbert but Chicago doesn't get to play Las Vegas every week so I say McKissic.

4) Tough to trust Damien Harris right now. Hard not to start a RB against the Raiders right now too. Booker got volume but he had a loooot of sub 4 yard runs last week.  Tough call. 

It looks like Harris dodged an injury bullet and he got 15 looks vs the Texans. But the Cowboys are not the Texans. I don't like the game script and despite decent volume Harris has been facing too many stacked lines (I think mostly because teams are challenging Mac Jones to beat them with more intermediate & deep passing), I can't recommend him.

I love Javonte's pop, guy looks shot out of a cannon and he has a very plus matchup against a team potentially in turmoil.  I expect to see a heavy dose of Javonte & Melvin early and if they gash the Raiders like Denver I expect that to continue all day.  I think there is a real chance that happens. Capped by Gordon or not this is a nice matchup.

Booker looked so very pedestrian on Sunday, so it's really a talent vs opportunity decision. Despite some gaudy numbers from Booker & Toney that offense didn't really put a lot of points on the board.

If it was my team I go with Javonte but that's more of a gut call. If Daniel Jones plays there should be plenty of offense, if not scoring, to go around and Booker absolutely makes sense here. :shrug:

Only real decision I need to make before TNF - half PPR:

- AB @ Eagles

- Allen @ Ravens

- Metcalf @ Stealers

- Cooks @ Colts

Only 2WR and a flex spot so need to bench one of them. Start Brown now or not?

- AB @ Eagles

- Allen @ Ravens

- Metcalf @ Stealers

- Cooks @ Colts

I know Cooks is getting a lot of volume but I start Antonio over him all day, every day.

Metcalf might be a bigger question mark but I am more confident in Geno than most so, yeah Cooks is the guy on your bench for me.

- AB @ Eagles

- Allen @ Ravens

- Metcalf @ Stealers

- Cooks @ Colts

Man, I wrote a whole reply explaining why you should start Metcalf and Allen and then realized you said 2WRs and a flex. In that case, your decision is AB vs. Cooks, which is to say not much of a decision at all. Yes, in every Tampa game there's a risk that one guy won't get fed, but the risk with Cooks is much higher.

- AB @ Eagles

- Allen @ Ravens

- Metcalf @ Stealers

- Cooks @ Colts

Cooks just feels like the lowest floor.  Colts D isn't super imposing, but Davis Mills...

With how efficient the Bucs' offense is right now, I would roll with Brown pretty consistently.  Yes, you'll have a down game here and there, but the upside is solid.

Thanks for doing this. 

Pittman has been a pretty solid 70-80 yards a week over the past month.  I am a Toney fanboy, but this matchup gives me pause.  Interesting question is with Golladay out who Jalen Ramsey will shadow.

Here's my ridiculous question from QB purgatory:

- Taylor Heinicke at KC

- Geno Smith at PIT

I'm inclined to start Heinicke given the shootout nature of that game.  His +40 rush yards over each of the past two weeks makes me feel a bit better about it all.

Houston turmOiler said:
AJ Brown and don't look back.

Tex

- AB @ Eagles

- Allen @ Ravens

- Metcalf @ Stealers

- Cooks @ Colts

Allen not only has the better matchup but he's going to get the targets this is your best and safest option.

My main issue with AB is you are taking a chance because from week to week you don't know who Brady is going to make the flavor of the day yet on top of that it's not a horrible matchup but not as good as Allen's.

Tex

Here's my ridiculous question from QB purgatory:

- Taylor Heinicke at KC

- Geno Smith at PIT

I'm inclined to start Heinicke given the shootout nature of that game.  His +40 rush yards over each of the past two weeks makes me feel a bit better about it all.
Heinicke is at home vs KC.

I am probably higher on Geno than most.  I think he is a seasoned vet with a strong arm, good coaching and two extremely talented WRs to throw to. In just under a quarter of play he went 10-17 for 131 with a TD and a pick that most would argue was as much on Lockett as Smith.  He will probably never be a high accuracy guy, which makes his 7.71 Y/A on 59% accuracy a little more interesting. He is also very athletic which puts rushing yards & TDs in play and has a lesser running game so it's unlikely Seattle will be mauling anyone.

With all that being said, how can you not start any and all players you have against KC?

Heinicke I guess.

Ppr

Darrel Williams kc @ Washington 

Or

Jacobs @ den
Jacobs IMO

I wrote this about Darrel upthread (I should probably set up a hotkey to it because it's clearly going to come up a lot this week): 

I have no idea what to expect from either Darrel Williams...

CEH had 17, 13, 19 & 17 touches in his four full games.  Is Williams good enough as a player to get all of that? I am skeptical, he couldn't out touch old & busted LeSean McCoy two years ago or old & busted LeVeon Bell last year. McKinnon's best days are probably behind him as well considering they were two teams ago, he's 29 too.

And is the KC RB really a must start position? Through the first four weeks CEH was RB 21 in my league (PPR, 1 pt/15 yards rush or receiving, 6 pts/TD), that's low end RB2 production and it was two terrible games and two solid games.  Very iffy IMO.

...I need to see Darrel Williams actually do something that makes him worth starting before I actually start him. 

There is a lot of craziness going on in Vegas right now but talent favors Jacobs by a substantial margin. While it's a tougher road matchup and the team could collapse I think the new head coach is going to try and dial up a steady dose of Jacobs, Waller & Renfrow.

Jacobs

Pittman has been a pretty solid 70-80 yards a week over the past month.  I am a Toney fanboy, but this matchup gives me pause.  Interesting question is with Golladay out who Jalen Ramsey will shadow.
Doesn't seem like Ramsey has been shadowing WR1s as much this year. In any event, Metcalf did fine against him last week. Also, Toney is coming off a game where he went up against the new top dog (Diggs) and absolutely roasted him.

Not saying that means you should start Toney, just that I don't consider Ramsey a factor in the decision

.5PPR Flex

1. Boyd @ Det
  2. Shenault vs Mia
  3. Murray vs LAC
I don't see Latavius being a big part of the game flow against an offense like LAC. Baltimore may want to try and shorten the game but when/if the balls start flying around Latavius will get phased out.

It comes down to Boyd v Shenault

Will the real Laviska Shenault please stand up? I know a lot of people here are high on Laviska's talent, I really don't know enough and but I know that I don't know what I don't know. So, sure Shenault is more talented but IMO not by much and Boyd plays real football better right now. Be it because of coaching (probably) or game smarts (no idea) Boyd is the steady option between these two.

So the question is does Shenault have that much more upside? I don't know. Shenault last scored a TD in week 16 last year with a different QB & a different head coach. In 19 career games he has one game with 100+ yards from scrimmage and two games with seven receptions. I am sure he has that "any given Sunday" "make magic happen" talent to break something off but is he really more likely to out catch, or out yardage, or out TD Boyd?

I have no idea.

This is very much a coin toss for me. I think I lean Laviska because he is a little more fun to watch and I think that both Jacksonville & Detroit may actually be able to pull out wins at home this week.  Unlikely but possible.

But really, toss a coin.

Tough time deciding on my RB2, full PPR:

• M Sanders vs. Tampa Bay
  • Damien Williams vs. Green Bay
  • Darrel Williams @ Washington 
Currently going with Damien Williams but Darrel is tempting...

Tough time deciding on my RB2, full PPR:

• M Sanders vs. Tampa Bay
  • Damien Williams vs. Green Bay
  • Darrel Williams @ Washington 
Currently going with Damien Williams but Darrel is tempting...
I wouldn't be tempted by Darrell this week.

I wrote this about Darrel upthread (I should probably set up a hotkey to it because it's clearly going to come up a lot this week): 

I have no idea what to expect from either Darrel Williams...

...I need to see Darrel Williams actually do something that makes him worth starting before I actually start him. 
Darrell could certainly surprise but he is really just an unknown commodity.

Miles Sanders must be frustrating the hell out of his owners this season. Sanders and Gainwell are averaging 11.5 carries combined this season, Jalen Hurts is carrying the ball (either by design or scramble) 7.2 times per game. As a team they have run the ball 113 times to 183 passes that's a 38% to 62% run:pass ratio.  That's bad coaching particularly when you consider some of Hurts's runs were not by design so the ratio of called runs to passes is even worse. All that is just further reinforcement that you can't trust Sanders or Gainwell at all this season, which means you will miss out on their big games (presuming there are any). But right now they lose you more games than they win.

I think Damien is the right call, here is my take on him.

Damien Williams seems like a decent floor guy with a moderate ceiling too. I didn't like that Herbert got 18 carries last week but Williams got 16 carries & 3 targets while Herbert had 0 targets. Facing Green Bay I have to think Williams will be more necessary than Herbert because of receiving ability. He could get you 6 receptions and maybe 12-15 carries. Decent shot at a TD...maybe.

I like it the Shark Pool.  I have contributed in the AC forum and it is a wasteland.  We should have a separate catch all thread for the Pool to evaluate trades during the week.

I like it the Shark Pool.  I have contributed in the AC forum and it is a wasteland.  We should have a separate catch all thread for the Pool to evaluate trades during the week.
I believe there are both dynasty and redraft trade threads in the SP.

Thanks for doing this. 

Boyd isn't an option IMO.

As of Wednesday 10/13 I think you have to go with Pittman here.

He's the #1 target on his team, he is getting consistent looks and the Colts look like they are improving. It was a heartbreak loss for sure but I don't think they fold anymore than they did when they were 1-3. It's maybe an easy-ish game on paper but even if they roll Houston I don't think they are good enough to be in full grind out the clock mode until the 4th quarter so if they are up big it is probably because Pittman made a contribution.

I love what I am seeing from Toney and the Giants offense as a whole. I might have him above Pittman if his health were clear and if we knew where Jones is in the concussion protocol.  If Jones is cleared and Toney gets in full practices on Thursday & Friday then I would not argue with putting him over Pittman. He may be more of a boom/bust guy than Pittman but he sure is exciting to watch.

Pittman for now.

Agreed on Pittman, UNLESS you hear Jones is starting for NYG and either Slayton or Shephard can't play.  But I think Jones is out which would make it a Pittman decision easy.

Users who are viewing this thread