What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Free speech chilled (1 Viewer)

Have you self censored online speech out of fear of major repercussions ?

• I have self censored or deleted content that could legitimately be considered offensive

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I have self censored or deleted benign content that could be mischaracterized as offensive

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • I have self censored or deleted content that defended a person accused of something bad

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I have self censored or deleted a mainstream political opinion

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • I have self censored or deleted content about drug use

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I have self censored or deleted content related of a sexual nature (I.e (FFA examples) Bella Thorne

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have self censored or deleted a bawdy joke

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I have self censored or deleted a political opinion outside of the mainstream

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I have self censored or deleted content that could seen as supporting what is currently considered a

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I am afraid to even answer this anonymous poll honestly

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is.  For example, how are Bella Thorne and yoga pics political? 

Can you cut to the chase and explain what point you're trying to make?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is.  For example, how are Bella Thorne and yoga pics political? 

Can you cut to the chase and explain what point you're trying to make?
I could where the religious right and feminists could find common ground to object to that content.  

My freedom to speak my mind has not been chilled.

It is much easier for those on the politically correct side of the isle.  People on the right have a much bigger need to walk on eggshells when commenting on topics such as COVID treatments, global warming, January 6th riots, race issues, Trump support, and even hate crimes.

For instance there was a local story of a black man claiming there was an attempt to lynch him.  People accused the local outhorities of being racists for not pressing charges.  The only narrative being put out was from his perspective and there was outrage both locally and nationally at how much racism still exists.  I thought it was obvious the dude instigated it for his own self-promotion and I knew none of the local authorities were at all racist.  Turns out after a year of investigating and moving it to a different venue, the dude did instigate it and is facing charges.  But if I said anything on social media, I would have been lynched. 

It is much easier for those on the politically correct side of the isle.  People on the right have a much bigger need to walk on eggshells when commenting on topics such as COVID treatments, global warming, January 6th riots, race issues, Trump support, and even hate crimes.

For instance there was a local story of a black man claiming there was an attempt to lynch him.  People accused the local outhorities of being racists for not pressing charges.  The only narrative being put out was from his perspective and there was outrage both locally and nationally.  I thought it was obvious the dude instigated it for his own self-promotion and I knew none of the local authorities were at all racist.  Turns out after a year of investigating and moving it to a different venue, the dude did instigate it and is facing charges.  But if I said anything on social media, I would have been lynched. 
This.  The oppressiveness of todays culture is one-way.

For instance there was a local story of a black man claiming there was an attempt to lynch him.  People accused the local outhorities of being racists for not pressing charges.  The only narrative being put out was from his perspective and there was outrage both locally and nationally.  I thought it was obvious the dude instigated it for his own self-promotion and I knew none of the local authorities were at all racist.  Turns out after a year of investigating and moving it to a different venue, the dude did instigate it and is facing charges.  
Consequences incurred

OK, but where are you trying to go with this? 
in the recent past, people had no fear of posting anything because it would never get back to them.  Many boards were completely anonymous.  I want to check the pulse of what content people are self censoring  in the current climate,  while Congress mulls over what content should be censored.

On the flip side you can have Tiffany Cross on MSNBC spouting hate speech at black conservatives accusing them as being black in face only and do not speak for any black folk but for rich white men.  Such hate-filled rants dehumanizing black conservatives doesn't raise any eyebrows even though it is more disgusting that 99 percent of the stuff people get canceled over..

What part of your "culture" is being oppressed?  Please cite specific examples of things you feel you are no longer free to do.  

Obviously none, because conservative  people have no soul or culture, according to today's liberalism.  The utter hatefilled demonization of conservatives is on full-tilt while in response they must remain silent or be destroyed.  

Obviously none, because conservative  people have no soul or culture, according to today's liberalism.  The utter hatefilled demonization of conservatives is on full-tilt while in response they must remain silent or be destroyed.  
Good lord, come down off the cross

See, still not chilled!

in the recent past, people had no fear of posting anything because it would never get back to them.  Many boards were completely anonymous.  I want to check the pulse of what content people are self censoring  in the current climate,  while Congress mulls over what content should be censored.
It depends on the forum.  Ultimately you have to have a sense for what behavior is acceptable in each place.  Here, I don't speak like I normally do (joke and swear), or make comments about hot women because I have to abide by the owner's pseudo-moralistic view on the matters.  

is not posting things on the internet that I fear could be misinterpreted in the future considered self-censoring?   Or would that be just common sense?

None option on poll doesn't work.

That is not really true.

Go into a conservative forum, or outlet, and post a liberal viewpoint and see how well it is taken.

Sure, in that small isolated corner of the universe.  But in the public square of the social media giants, it is the right who have their hands tied and are ruthlessly attacked.  

I'm sorry you've been so harshly persecuted.  Fortunately for the rest of us, the conservative media is very accepting of the liberal point of view.  It sounds like you're jealous of its compassion towards us.  

If you wouldn't say it on a megaphone in front of a crowd of people or at a podium in front of your boss and co-workers, you probably shouldn't be saying it online in a public forum.

When you broach a subject like this people make it seem like there's been some massive shift in what can be said without consequence between now and say, 15 years ago.  The reality is there's been remarkably little change in the sensitivities of what people find tolerable to hear others say.

People are conflating the tightening of their internet loophole to publicly spout off about things they never would have publicly spouted off about prior to the internet with a tightening of what they are "allowed" to say.

Everyone is free to say what they want.  If you wouldn't say "I don't think women should be allowed to be NFL referees" or "black people actually do commit more crimes so it makes sense for police to treat them differently" at a work meeting or on a podium in front of a crowd because of the potential consequences, then you really shouldn't be surprised when those consequences rear their head when it is said in a different public forum, like the internet.

More dismissiveness
Guilty as charged.  If you come to me with something that's so completely out of touch with reality and ignorant of how his side views the other, then I'm not going to respond to your hypocrisy with any seriousness.  Come at me with some reasonable perspective and then we can have a conversation.

The right is not even allowed to point out the obvious censorship without being mocked, dismissed and dehumanized.   

Modern liberalism has made it so folks on the right can not say anything offensive or contrary to the liberal agenda, but saying the most evil and disgusting things against those on the right is perfectly acceptable. 

The right is not even allowed to point out the obvious censorship without being mocked, dismissed and dehumanized.   

Modern liberalism has made it so folks on the right can not say anything offensive or contrary to the liberal agenda, but saying the most evil and disgusting things against those on the right is perfectly acceptable. 
Are we that bad?  Really??

Guilty as charged.  If you come to me with something that's so completely out of touch with reality and ignorant of how his side views the other, then I'm not going to respond to your hypocrisy with any seriousness.  Come at me with some reasonable perspective and then we can have a conversation.

The reality is, most conservative folks know what I say is true.  The utter dehumanization, mocking, and dismissiveness of people on the right is so common today.  This is what I term Liberal Supremacy, which declares itself superior and not even worth engaging to the other side.  It is disgusting.  

If you wouldn't say it on a megaphone in front of a crowd of people or at a podium in front of your boss and co-workers, you probably shouldn't be saying it online in a public forum.

When you broach a subject like this people make it seem like there's been some massive shift in what can be said without consequence between now and say, 15 years ago.  The reality is there's been remarkably little change in the sensitivities of what people find tolerable to hear others say.

People are conflating the tightening of their internet loophole to publicly spout off about things they never would have publicly spouted off about prior to the internet with a tightening of what they are "allowed" to say.

Everyone is free to say what they want.  If you wouldn't say "I don't think women should be allowed to be NFL referees" or "black people actually do commit more crimes so it makes sense for police to treat them differently" at a work meeting or on a podium in front of a crowd because of the potential consequences, then you really shouldn't be surprised when those consequences rear their head when it is said in a different public forum, like the internet.
"Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech...". 

Congress.

Once in a while I mention this about the "culture wars"/"the politics of outrage". It's a huge resource suck. Between the politicians pandering and the social media hot takes, we'd be way better off focusing on real issues. To me, that means taxes and spending in the categories enumerated in the Constitution or otherwise codified. Instead what we have is meemaw spouting off on Facebook about whatever the outrage of the day happens to be.

I have self-censored because I am a grown up who understands appropriateness matters and I try, as Joe likes to say, to be better.
/topic

We live in a society. There are social morays, norms and well-understood elements of appropriateness for various situations. 

If one intends to participate in civil society, one must adapt to the collective or be shunned. And that shunning doesn't make anyone a victim, it is self-inflected. 

More and more I believe oppositional defiance disorder is far more widespread than anyone knows. It's pure selfishness to use hate-speech, racism, bigotry, misogyny, to claim certain spaces only for themselves, or any other language that "others" people. 

"Freedom" is the key here, and it has been widely misinterpreted as "Freedom to say the things I want, regardless of who it hurts" while simultaneously attempting to silence those they disagree with or marginalized groups. Like LGBTQ+ or BLM or anyone who's critical of that offensive language. The entire manufactured outrage over "Critical Race Theory", which wasn't taught in any school is a great example of this. The brazen attempt to whitewash history while silencing those who wish to keep it real disguised as some sort of 1A issue when in fact it's the opposite.  

The hypocrisy is clear. Defend the Jon Grudens of the world, while simultaneously calling for a boycott of D.C. Comics because the son of a fictional alien is depicted as bisexual. 

This is America. Freedom means you get to say what you want, but you're not free from the consequences of your words. If you are held to account, you're not a victim & you haven't been silenced, you've been shown consequences. Freedom also allows gay people, people of color and anyone else to say (or draw) anything they want.

But D.C. Comics depicting a fictional character as bisexual & facing a boycott for it by intolerant people isn't the same as someone losing their job for posting racist memes or using intolerant language. That is the false equivalence used by awful people who want to keep being awful despite society wishing to be progressive and advance beyond such things. Confederate statues are a perfect example. 

The reality is, most conservative folks know what I say is true.  The utter dehumanization, mocking, and dismissiveness of people on the right is so common today.  This is what I term Liberal Supremacy, which declares itself superior and not even worth engaging to the other side.  It is disgusting.  
If you don't watch conservative media and immediately see/hear the non-stop hate and demonization of liberals and Democrats, then I don't know what to say to you.  You're obviously not watching from an objective perspective.

You have used the word 'disgusting' three separate times in this thread.  Here are some synonyms you can use for 'disgusting' to assist with your fiery rhetoric:  

revolting

repellent

repulsive

sickening

nauseating

nauseous

stomach-churning

stomach-turning

off-putting

unpalatable

unappetizing

uninviting

unsavory

distasteful

foul

nasty

obnoxious

odious

vomitous

yucky

icky

gross

sick-making

gut-churning

grotty

squicky

bogging

disgustful

offensive

appalling

outrageous

objectionable

displeasing

shocking

horrifying

scandalous

monstrous

unspeakable

shameless

shameful

vulgar

vile

wicked

heinous

abhorrent

loathsome

detestable

hateful

contemptible

despicable

deplorable

abominable

execrable

unforgivable

unpardonable

inexcusable

intolerable

insupportable

beyond the pale

horrid

Are we that bad?  Really??

It is that bad.  How can people label black conservatives as black in face only and not be called out?  Liberals can say the cruelest things and not be called out, meanwhile are hypersensitive when conservatives speak.  

This is a preposterous generalization, unsubstantiated, & the clearest example of "victim culture" imaginable. "the left" is your boogieman, as though it's a collective and not 80+ million individuals. But that won't stop you from blaming the left because you can't say awful things in a public forum. 

It is that bad.  How can people label black conservatives as black in face only and not be called out?  Liberals can say the cruelest things and not be called out, meanwhile are hypersensitive when conservatives speak.  
Straw man argument are just so easy to win, huh? 

If you don't watch conservative media and immediately see/hear the non-stop hate and demonization of liberals and Democrats, then I don't know what to say to you.  You're obviously not watching from an objective perspective.

I don't watch fox largely because of that.  They fail in the same way.  But they don't run cancel culture.  They are not censoring topics from even being discussed like happens on all the big social media platforms.  They are not trying to shut down voices from the other side.   That is what modern liberalism is doing 

Users who are viewing this thread