What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody ever been completely lost on what to do with their life? Advice needed. (1 Viewer)

Gachi

Footballguy
Hello all, I’m at a crossroads in my life. I have no clue what to do next.

I have applied and been rejected from medical school 4 times. I decided today to move on after receiving an underwhelming MCAT score for the 4th time. 

I hold a bachelor’s in exercise science and a masters in biomedical sciences. 

I have no clue what I should do for work.

Im 29 and I live with my retired vet dad. I’m ready for some stability. I just don’t know what the heck to do. All I know is medicine. 

Bright side is I have no student loans and have a tiny bit of savings from the death of my grandmother (about $10k). 

I have looked into several careers including quality control testing, biotech & health operations. I’ve had one interview for a medical device position that I unfortunately wasn’t selected for.

My whole life I’ve always known what my next step was, but now that’s no longer the case. It’s an odd place to be in. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Biomedical device sales.

EDIT: I love my life and my family, but holy cow I could have a lot of fun being 29 with a master's and no obligations. 
Start spamming resumes and maybe look for a headhunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
the pro is that you're still young and that you're recognizing this about yourself now, and not partway down a wrong-path career after you have a family. 

I'm sure you'll get some quality advice in here with a number of doctors and medical adjacent/related people- not a field I know much about, but I wish you the very best of luck with this.

Hello all, I’m at a crossroads in my life. I have no clue what to do next.

I have applied and been rejected from medical school 4 times. I decided today to move on after receiving an underwhelming MCAT score for the 4th time. 

I hold a bachelor’s in exercise science and a masters in biomedical sciences. 

I have no clue what I should do for work.

Im 29 and I live with my retired vet dad. I’m ready for some stability. I just don’t know what the heck to do. All I know is medicine. 

Bright side is I have no student loans and have a tiny bit of savings from the death of my grandmother (about $10k). 

I have looked into several careers including quality control testing, biotech & health operations. I’ve had one interview for a medical device position that I unfortunately wasn’t selected for.

My whole life I’ve always known what my next step was, but now that’s no longer the case. It’s an odd place to be in. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
Do something you enjoy and never work a day of your life figuratively.  Experience everything you can and go with something you have passion for doing.

I am decently successful and the hardest part of my day is getting out of bed to go to work.  I don't hate what I do but it is certainly work.  Just my 2 cents.

Without having to go back to school, off the top of my head I'd think: sales, technical writing, or life coaching/Personal Trainer/nutrition consultant.

What do you know how to do and what do you want to do?

With a solid science background, it may be worthwhile to do a bridge program into Nursing, Radiology Tech, Ultrasound Tech, etc. You could be able to score a degree in less time than it typically takes, then you have the freedom and mobility to earn good pay and figure out where you want to end up. I did that at 30, and couldn't be happier with the choice.

Without having to go back to school, off the top of my head I'd think: sales, technical writing, or life coaching/Personal Trainer/nutrition consultant.

What do you know how to do and what do you want to do?

With a solid science background, it may be worthwhile to do a bridge program into Nursing, Radiology Tech, Ultrasound Tech, etc. You could be able to score a degree in less time than it typically takes, then you have the freedom and mobility to earn good pay and figure out where you want to end up. I did that at 30, and couldn't be happier with the choice.
I know how to study for ungodly amounts of time and regurgitate said information on a multiple choice exam.

why did you pick exercise science as a degree? 

I started out as pre-physical therapy before switching to medicine 

I'm 63 and I still go down to the crossroads.

I'm collecting SS, working as a well fed artist and still ponder future aspirations quite often. 

I will say this, you're way ahead of me- when I was a 29 I was managing a Hooters in Jax. FL!

Do you like to teach? I read there is a large need for teachers. Easy to try as a sub without investing time getting your certificate. Not much money in subbing though. 

We are hiring a salesman in medical components. Selling delivery system components to manufacturers. Medical background understanding huge plus. Pays about 110 160k. East coast Boston area. PM me if interested 

That seems like an amazing opportunity, but I don't think I'd be a very good salesman. 

Do you like to teach? I read there is a large need for teachers. Easy to try as a sub without investing time getting your certificate. Not much money in subbing though. 

I actually used to be a long-term substitute pre-COVID. I hated it. 

How do you think others perceive you?  I’m not sure if you come across as the best version of yourself to others from what you have written. Not thinking you could do a good job as a salesman doesnt help that perception. Either the product sells itself or people need a nudge to buy and you need a thick skin to handle constant rejection. 

Are you in a relationship or have you come out of one recently?

I’m not sure if some personal development is in order. Sounds like you are a smart fella. You need to find something to be motivated at and for. Life moves pretty fast, no one gives you anything. You have to find what you want and make it happen.  Or be one of those aimless guys in their 50s with kids, a marriage thats basically boring at best and basically a walking corpse. 

What can you offer and employer?

Try an accelerated nursing program. Travel nurses are making good money and you get to travel. Or work in a hospital for a year or so and apply to a PA or APRN program. My 3 sisters are nurses and they find it satisfying. Plus, you can move anywhere and find a job. 

How do you think others perceive you?  I’m not sure if you come across as the best version of yourself to others from what you have written. Not thinking you could do a good job as a salesman doesnt help that perception. Either the product sells itself or people need a nudge to buy and you need a thick skin to handle constant rejection. 

Are you in a relationship or have you come out of one recently?

I’m not sure if some personal development is in order. Sounds like you are a smart fella. You need to find something to be motivated at and for. Life moves pretty fast, no one gives you anything. You have to find what you want and make it happen.  Or be one of those aimless guys in their 50s with kids, a marriage thats basically boring at best and basically a walking corpse. 

What can you offer and employer?
Or divorced with a dog and above average fantasy football abilities.

What about getting on the athletic training staff at a college or maybe even pro? You have  the exercise degree and med background, and it seems like a fun environment. 

Are you outgoing? More of an introvert?

Would you be happy sitting at a desk all day?

Do you like talking to customers/clients/people?

What hobbies/sports do you enjoy?

Any other passions that you would love to do every day?

Are you outgoing? More of an introvert?

Would you be happy sitting at a desk all day?

Do you like talking to customers/clients/people?

What hobbies/sports do you enjoy?

Any other passions that you would love to do every day?

I'm introverted, however I'm good at pretending to be outgoing. 

I'd probably be happy in an office more so than interacting with customers all day. 

I lift weights 5 days a week and prioritize my personal fitness. I enjoy football and track. 

Honestly can't say I'm "passionate" about anything other than medicine, but sadly that ship has sailed. At this point I just want a decent job with good benefits.

Take that 10K, put 5K in bitcoin, 5K in dogecoin. In a year it should be 100K. Divide that up among some alt coins and in three years you'll have a million, easily. Then find some new coins to back and in three more years you'll be at 10 million. That's enough to skate by on forever. 

I'm introverted, however I'm good at pretending to be outgoing. 

I'd probably be happy in an office more so than interacting with customers all day. 

I lift weights 5 days a week and prioritize my personal fitness. I enjoy football and track. 

Honestly can't say I'm "passionate" about anything other than medicine, but sadly that ship has sailed. At this point I just want a decent job with good benefits.
What about something like product management in the medical software or device field? We hire clinicians all the time. 

What about something like product management in the medical software or device field? We hire clinicians all the time. 

I will look into it. Thank you.

From a quick google search, it seems like they are positions available however I don't have the experience listed. That's a common problem with my job search, I have the education but not the experience. 

I will look into it. Thank you.

From a quick google search, it seems like they are positions available however I don't have the experience listed. That's a common problem with my job search, I have the education but not the experience. 
You’re going to have to pay some dues somewhere. Lots of degrees but still entry level

You’re going to have to pay some dues somewhere. Lots of degrees but still entry level

I know that any job I get is going to be entry level and probably not pay that good, that's fine. Everybody wants experience, even so called "entry level" positions. 

i kind of feel this, i plan to retire in 2 years from the military after 25 years and every day i change my mind on what to do next. at least twice a month i have trouble going to sleep stressing on it

Orthopaedic implant or soft goods sales rep

Athletic trainer

Something crazy like working in a kinematics/biomechanics lab that does studies of people used for video games

Sorry if this has been covered or expressed as not of interest. But would you consider stuff like being a PE coach?  Not so much great money but good benefits and great schedule. My wife is an elementary teacher and their PE coaches generally are the only guy in the school and there are tons of 20s type single women hanging around who don’t meet any guys through work. Could well be worse for a guy. 

ETA: Just read the you hated being a sub part so may not fit.

Massage therapist?

Don't have to talk much. Can help people feel better. Can put your learning to use. Low stress. Can get good tips. Flexible hours. Don't take work home. Potential to work in high end places if you're good.

I know that any job I get is going to be entry level and probably not pay that good, that's fine. Everybody wants experience, even so called "entry level" positions. 
Stretch the truth.  Edit your resume to line up with the job description.  If they ask for 2-3 years of experience of such and such, say you have 2 years and if questioned have a plan for how to correlate such and such to your experience studying in school, working out at the gym, training others, etc.  You need to get your resume past the A.I and into the hands of a person. It's a numbers game.  One interview isn't enough to get discouraged.  If it was that easy to get the job, then you were probably shooting too low.  You may need to apply 100 times to get 3-5 interviews.  You should feel confident in your ability to do whatever the job is.  If you believed in the product Boots described, you could sell it.  

How many medical schools did you apply to?  I'm not sure how they view multiple test attempts but I'm sure your score isn't a deal breaker. I recall a neighbor being rejected a few years in a row.  Not sure how many schools he applied to but he did get accepted somewhere in his 3rd or 4th year of applying.

I know how to study for ungodly amounts of time and regurgitate said information on a multiple choice exam.

I started out as pre-physical therapy before switching to medicine 
Have you been working already, or primarily been focused on school? I see some sub teaching...that you hate. 

What do you like to do?

You can make a career around something you love or use your career to allow you to do other things you love. Both fulfilling.

You're sounding a little like my very bright niece with a couple of degrees who still isn't sure what to do with them. We've recommended just jumping into something related and seeing where that takes her. She tends to overthink thinks, and dwells instead of doing. 

Not saying that's you, just what it sounds like based on this thread. Even without experience- start somewhere, anywhere. You may hate it...but that will help you understand better what direction to take for the next job- and give you experience it. Keep taking steps- forward, sideways, backwards- sitting still isn't helping you at all.

You keep saying you are passionate about medicine. I saw 5+ opportunities in this thread all medicine related, and all quickly rejected by you. Are you saying you are passionate about being a doctor and nothing else related to the medicine / healthcare field?

from an outside observer it feels like you’re rejecting most any opportunity being presented in here. 

as others said, the key here is to get your foot in the door. That means taking whatever job you can get that is somewhat interesting. Do it for 12-18 months. Now you’re much more marketable and will get more callbacks for a job closer to what you want (and I bet you’ll have a better idea of what you want at that time also). It appears that you lack applied experience, with your resume largely filled with schooling. Go get 18 months of applied experience and you’ll find a lot more doors open 

Sorry if this has been covered or expressed as not of interest. But would you consider stuff like being a PE coach?  Not so much great money but good benefits and great schedule. My wife is an elementary teacher and their PE coaches generally are the only guy in the school and there are tons of 20s type single women hanging around who don’t meet any guys through work. Could well be worse for a guy

ETA: Just read the you hated being a sub part so may not fit.
I also seem to recall that Gachi is gay so I’m not sure if that’s a selling point.

I’ll reiterate what Cav said - find something you love or are passionate about and don’t worry about any money.

Users who are viewing this thread