What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can stories like William Shatner in space unite us? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Coming out of my self imposed hiatus from this forum to ask this question. We’re so frigging divided as a country right now. So much so that recent polls suggest that a significant  percentage of both liberals and conservatives actually think we may have to secede from each other. Each side, more and more,  looks upon the other side not as people they disagree with, but as extreme and evil. We have not been this divided since the 1960s, or possibly, since the Civil War. 

Yet I think we still have much more in common than we have differences. There’s some guys I know, real Trumpers, they think the election was stolen, they don’t believe in the Covid vaccines, obviously we don’t see eye to eye on anything political and it’s gotten to the point where we can’t even talk about it. But we can talk NFL and fantasy football all day. We may not agree on that either, but we speak the same language. In fact, I was originally planning on starting this thread a few days ago and calling it “Football unites us.” But the Jon Gruden story calls even that into question. 

So here we have this feel good story today that most people should like: 90 year old Captain Kirk goes Bodley where no one has gone before. Can we forget our differences and all get behind this? 

It’s way beyond Trump. It’s truly what kind of country the two sides want to live in. One with more government than we have today with more safety nets or one where it feels the government is already too involved. There’s no story thats going to soothe that divide for either side. Neither really wants to participate or live in the vision of the other, at increasingly any cost. 

I think we still have much more in common than we have differences.
I think the idea behind this thread is kind of ridiculous. No offense, Tim. But the above statement is 100% true. My father, who is a die-hard Republican,  and I talk about this frequently. We all want our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.  We all want what's best for our kids, community,  and country. We all want the right to make our own choices. No one wants more government intrusion into our private lives, no one wants people who legitimately need a social safety net to starve, die, or be homeless. 

Coming out of my self imposed hiatus from this forum to ask this question.
I really don't care about Shatner - never was a Trekkie myself - but I do want to say it's good to have you back. If there was anything I said that contributed to your decision to take a time out, I want to apologize. I hate apologies and I rarely do one so I want to thank you for starting an absolutely rancid brain fart of a thread that will allow me to sneak one in before it sinks to the bowels of the FFA.

Anyhoo, welcome back!  :thumbup:

It’s way beyond Trump. It’s truly what kind of country the two sides want to live in. One with more government than we have today with more safety nets or one where it feels the government is already too involved. There’s no story thats going to soothe that divide for either side. Neither really wants to participate or live in the vision of the other, at increasingly any cost. 
If the bold is referring to Trump-supporters and the present day Republican party, I don't agree with this description. 

Not at all.

In fact I find it entirely bizarre that all this battle of the billionaire space field trip stuff gets so much coverage in the MSM.

It's just another way for them to divide us. They cover it in such a way that you have to pick a side and Stan for a billionaire. You're either team Bezos or team Musk. It's completely ridiculous and I feel bad for anyone who's getting suckered into it.

If the bold is referring to Trump-supporters and the present day Republican party, I don't agree with this description. 
It’s not just Trump supporters that feel that way but yes they are a big subset of that group. 

ShamrockPride said:
Not at all.

In fact I find it entirely bizarre that all this battle of the billionaire space field trip stuff gets so much coverage in the MSM.

It's just another way for them to divide us. They cover it in such a way that you have to pick a side and Stan for a billionaire. You're either team Bezos or team Musk. It's completely ridiculous and I feel bad for anyone who's getting suckered into it.

I think private space travel is news and should be covered regardless of who is funding it.   

I don't care at all about either Bezos or Musk and don't get how MSM is trying to make anyone choose a side.

Star Trek's episode's Original Series (Season 3) featured an episode (Nr. 22) and The Original Series episode (season 3, episode 15) 

If either were played today, Shatner would lose his job/career, Roddenberry would be ostracized and the entire series would be canceled 

If anything is to be learned, it is that this new touchy feely woke movement has driven wedges so deep than the division is irreversible at this point

ShamrockPride said:
Not at all.

I guess you could be for Team Bezos or Team Musk.  Personally, I'm on team why the #### are we subsidizing their companies when they already have this kind of eff you money?

Noble idea but unity requires shared values.

There is zero chance in this lifetime I will be unifying with a political faction who not only doesn't value this accomplishment, but seeks to tear it down. In fact, just the opposite.

Elizabeth Warren Rips Billionaires’ ‘Free Ride. . . All The Way To Outer Space’ On William Shatner’s Launch Day

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/10/13/william-shatner-jeff-bezos-launch-elizabeth-warren-space/
She's made a fortune off of that sort of rhetoric.  I doubt she actually believes it.

The only thing that will bring this country together is if we treat all people equally and with respect and we stop trying to do everything we can to silence the other side......so no, William Shatner is not going to unite us.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice seeing Shatner happy and everything, and concurrently weird seeing Bezos try to act like a normal human, but a moment that could unite the country together again?  What?  

Tim, I think these pleas for unity are kind of tonedeaf given the material conditions people have to live with anymore.  Of course they want to blame something for the loss in their quality of life.  This isn't going to get any better while our politicians are routinely screwing us behind closed doors.  

So here we have this feel good story today that most people should like: 90 year old Captain Kirk goes Bodley where no one has gone before. Can we forget our differences and all get behind this? 
Uh, you want us to celebrate an achievement by two very rich white men that none of us will ever be able to do ourselves? That's akin to expecting a low income blue collar worker to embrace a reality TV star born with a silver spoon who lives in a home literally made in part with gold as a good representative for the worker's interests. That's absurd and would never happen. Oh, wait...

Also, joking aside, I've had arms-length personal interactions/observations of Shatner as he rode in the same saddlebred events as my sister. He makes Woz FFA circa 2007 seems likeable and self-grounded. Him enjoying something I likely never will doesn't make me feel good at all. 

I think private space travel is news and should be covered regardless of who is funding it.   

I don't care at all about either Bezos or Musk and don't get how MSM is trying to make anyone choose a side.
Elon Musk trolls Jeff Bezos as he widens his lead as the richest person on Earth

What is the actual news value you place on this article? An entire article for a tweet about Musk trying to get under Bezos's skin.

Seems like a strategy to subconsciously steer you one way or another. Either you'll find yourself pro-Musk cheering on the "trolling", or you'll be irked by the childishness of it (pro-Bezos).

It's one of the few types of instances where they don't even need a pundit to guide your thought. They simply present the information, knowing (for most people) it will manifest a response.

And if you're on social media, you know that many people actually do take sides about this stuff.

Not in my feed.  
I mean I read the comments to articles I read. Same thing as what we do here: post an article, write a lil blurb to kick conversation off. But yeah, conversation is often more uhhh...."spicy" on Twitter or FB.

Elon Musk trolls Jeff Bezos as he widens his lead as the richest person on Earth

What is the actual news value you place on this article? An entire article for a tweet about Musk trying to get under Bezos's skin.

Seems like a strategy to subconsciously steer you one way or another. Either you'll find yourself pro-Musk cheering on the "trolling", or you'll be irked by the childishness of it (pro-Bezos).

It's one of the few types of instances where they don't even need a pundit to guide your thought. They simply present the information, knowing (for most people) it will manifest a response.

And if you're on social media, you know that many people actually do take sides about this stuff.

I don't get that at all but I'll go along with it for a minute.    How does this "strategy" benefit CNN?   It seems to me the story was more about their wealth than their "feud".

I would wager the  majority of Americans either don't know these guys or care even a little bit about their poking at one another.  Of all of the things that are dividing Americans I am guessing the Musk vs Bezos spat is pretty far down the list.

Users who are viewing this thread