What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Beatles: Get Back (1 Viewer)

Man, I just realized that this is going to  begin airing about a week shy of the first anniversary of my mom's passing. 

She's the one who got me into the Beatles.  George was her favorite Beatle. Danced with her to "Here Comes the Sun" at my wedding. 

This could be an emotional watch for me. Dammit, Peter Jackson. 
I feel for you. Embrace it maybe? Look at it this way. How lucky are you to have had her influence in your life? Maybe you can use this to celebrate her. 

Put another way, and this is how I deal with some loss I've experienced, imagine having a parent where his/her loss wasn't emotional to you. 

GL GB.

Yeah, it's exciting.  I'm verklempt, though, that it's on Disney+, which I don't have and have no interest in getting, even temporarily.  What do I do?  :cry:  
I don't have Disney +, either. I wonder if you can sign up for just a day or two, like with some of the other streaming services.

I can't get enough of George's wardrobe choices.

On the rooftop concert he sported a fur coat and lime green pants, and in the clips from this film so far he has rocked candy-cane striped pants, puffy purple shirt, tomato red shirt under a leather vest and platform shoes. 

Awesome.

There may be a few other things you’ll watch - especially if you’re a Star Wars or Marvel fan - but their overall content isn’t all that great IMO. 
I'm not big on a lot of their properties, but I'll snoop around some before I cancel.

jimmy b said:
I would gladly watch all 57 hours, but this will do.....Bravo Peter Jackson, Bravo. :headbang:

I have most of the audio on bootleg and trust me, you don't want to hear a lot of of it.   While the good parts are truly great there are only so many aborted takes, amateurish jams, and doodling about that one can listen to.  And this is coming from a total Beatles freak. 

Let It Be came out when I was 11 and I saw the movie in the theater more than a dozen times.  I was one of the few that loved it.  Obviously it is a flawed film but just seeing the Beatles in the studio and on the rooftop was a joy to me.  I am really looking forward to what PJ has done.

I pre-ordered the accompanying book 6 months ago and it arrived Tuesday.  I have only glanced through it but it looks to be pretty darn thorough.  I see that much of the dialog  in the book is taken from those 50+ hours of Bootleg audio tapes so pretty cool.

In any case I cannot wait until the Get Back film is finally released. 

pretty excited about this.  Then again, I was pumped for They Shall Not Grow Old, but this Beatles one looks like it has more potential. 

I can't get enough of George's wardrobe choices.

On the rooftop concert he sported a fur coat and lime green pants, and in the clips from this film so far he has rocked candy-cane striped pants, puffy purple shirt, tomato red shirt under a leather vest and platform shoes. 

Awesome.
The Best

Seeing all that breaks my heart.  Those are the Beatles of my youth -- the ones everyone hoped would get back together for my entire childhood.  There's such a melancholy to it, partly because I'm old now too, but partly just knowing that it never happened.

It makes me awfully sad, too.  In some ways it will be very hard to watch.  Even driving around listening to the Beatles channel, when they have snippets of interviews with George or especially John, it's melancholy to me.

My companion book for this arrived on Wednesday but I haven't had the heart to open it yet.

It makes me awfully sad, too.  In some ways it will be very hard to watch.  Even driving around listening to the Beatles channel, when they have snippets of interviews with George or especially John, it's melancholy to me.

My companion book for this arrived on Wednesday but I haven't had the heart to open it yet.
There is a 13 year old 7th grade student sitting in my classroom right now taking a test wearing an Abbey Road T-shirt.  While the reunion never happened, they live on, and that always makes me happy.  

I don't know..... It's sad, I agree. But, to me, no more sad than seeing footage of Buddy Holly or Otis Redding.  

All of my life, I've heard about how awful these sessions were. How they hated each other and how each of them quit at some point. And how the LP that eventually surfaced was their worst. I think this film is going to flip the switch on that conventional wisdom a bit.

Uruk-Hai said:
I don't know..... It's sad, I agree. But, to me, no more sad than seeing footage of Buddy Holly or Otis Redding.  

All of my life, I've heard about how awful these sessions were. How they hated each other and how each of them quit at some point. And how the LP that eventually surfaced was their worst. I think this film is going to flip the switch on that conventional wisdom a bit.

You're absolutely right, and I have no reasonable explanation for why I feel that way about hearing/seeing John but not Otis.  The best I can do is to say that people die in plane crashes, and it's every bit as tragic, but John's murder was just so...senseless.  And it came at a time when he seemed to have gotten his life together and been happier than he had been in years.  I think that photo of John with his murderer hours before his death also impacts my feeling on it, making it seem even more unfair.

Like I said, not necessarily logical, but John's death, and then seeing him all full of life on video, still makes me impossibly sad in a way that the others don't.

krista4 said:
Yeah, it's exciting.  I'm verklempt, though, that it's on Disney+, which I don't have and have no interest in getting, even temporarily.  What do I do?  :cry:  
will it not be in theaters?

You're absolutely right, and I have no reasonable explanation for why I feel that way about hearing/seeing John but not Otis.  The best I can do is to say that people die in plane crashes, and it's every bit as tragic, but John's murder was just so...senseless.  And it came at a time when he seemed to have gotten his life together and been happier than he had been in years.  I think that photo of John with his murderer hours before his death also impacts my feeling on it, making it seem even more unfair.

Like I said, not necessarily logical, but John's death, and then seeing him all full of life on video, still makes me impossibly sad in a way that the others don't.
Plane crashes are even more senseless to me than premeditated murder, but I'm nicking pits.

But I hear ya, my friend.

I think I'll tear up more for the George footage than anything else.

John's look at Paul while he is singing the "Tuscon, Arizona" line in Get Back in the falsetto voice kills me every time I watch this.  

Shaft41 said:
There is a 13 year old 7th grade student sitting in my classroom right now taking a test wearing an Abbey Road T-shirt.  While the reunion never happened, they live on, and that always makes me happy.  
My daughter, also in 7th grade, has decided to get into vinyl.  Among her first 5 album buys?  Abbey Road and Revolver.  The kids are alright.

Users who are viewing this thread