What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do you participate in the Political Forum? (1 Viewer)

Which option describes you most?

• I’m interested in other viewpoints and in exploring my beliefs and beliefs of others.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • I want to share my strongly beliefs and believe the world would be a better place if others believed

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I enjoy debating/arguing with others.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • It’s important that people advocate for what is right whether it changes anyone’s mind or not.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I’m just bored and killing time.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Trying to get an idea of why most people post in the political forum as I think that a) it would be interesting just to know and b) would inform (at least for me) in what manner I may choose to participate.

Vote for whichever option best describes you and If voting Other, please reply here with your reason.

You missed one, and upon reflection what is probably for me, my biggest motivation: the political forum is my primary source for news and current events. A secondary motivation for me is discussing them. But, frankly, this forum is my "break" from work most days so it's nice to get on the political forum and get my "news." 

Definitely to get other peoples opinions.  I lean right and really like to see how the other side thinks about things.   Then I can take that all in when I formulate my own opinions
This for me, though I primarily lean a bit left on the majority of issues and primarily lurk this forum, but think that for the few posters that are able to post their views/thought processes without just attacking or name calling, I have learned some valuable insight that has led me to reflect on and in several cases adjust my view on some topics. The hard part is wading through a lot of the muck, from both sides, to be able to mine those nuggets of insight.

voted 1. I stayed away from this forum for a while, but dripped back in and found the conversations more interesting than most of the FFA. 

I have my beliefs and dont mind defending them, but also dont mind hearing other, often opposing viewpoints. There are also other issues that I may not be 100% educated on and like to hear the debate before I make up my mind. 

Other.

I participate here mostly to provide links to breaking news items.

I also try to set the record straight and correct obvious lies and misstatements that I see, hopefully so they don't keep getting repeated as gospel (which is not always successful :( ).

Combo of interacting with others about current political topics and killing time. 

It is nice because this place has a handful of posters who have been here long enough to where I feel they are expressing opinions in good faith. 

Initially it was #1....with all the misinformation we see in the world, it's more "other" and that "other" being correcting misinformation.  Sprinkle in a little bit of what Zow said on top as I come here to get updates on topics that aren't covered in detail in the news sources I frequent.

You missed one, and upon reflection what is probably for me, my biggest motivation: the political forum is my primary source for news and current events. A secondary motivation for me is discussing them. But, frankly, this forum is my "break" from work most days so it's nice to get on the political forum and get my "news." 
This is 100% accurate for me to. I get 99% of my news about what’s happening here, it’s my go to for quick mental breaks from workor where I’m killing time while on long webinars and where I kill time late at night.  

I bop in from time to time to see what everyone is arguing about, usually it is the same old stuff.  I'll throw in my opinion but I realize that it won't change anyone's mind, just something to do.

I will say though that I have gotten considerable entertainment from certain threads, particularly the Trump Tweets and Maricopa County threads.   I would put them in the top 25 threads in FBGs history.

This is 100% accurate for me to. I get 99% of my news about what’s happening here, it’s my go to for quick mental breaks from workor where I’m killing time while on long webinars and where I kill time late at night.  
It used to be more this, and still is to a point.    However, more and more what is seeping is random posts like "looks like X is going to happen now", without a link or context and then when you ask wtf they are talking about it's a snark reply about googling it or you not reading anything.     

Long story short, it feels like it's leaning away from a place to come in quick and get news for forming opinions and more about arguing about already 100% formed opinions.  

Other:

I genuinely get my updates on world events here, albeit from two vastly different perspectives. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted 3, but 1 was just as close. I will freely admit that this is where I get most of my right-leaning news/views, as my bubble is mostly liberal and politics rarely get discussed IRL amongst my cohort. And sometimes I just come here to call out people I think are nuts, which is not noble or tolerant of me, but I'm a flawed human.

I also come here to read KD's posts, as he is awesome.

I bop in from time to time to see what everyone is arguing about, usually it is the same old stuff.  I'll throw in my opinion but I realize that it won't change anyone's mind, just something to do.

I will say though that I have gotten considerable entertainment from certain threads, particularly the Trump Tweets and Maricopa County threads.   I would put them in the top 25 threads in FBGs history.

Thanks, I started that, but for some reason it was nuked by mods despite being one of the most popular threads for about 4 years. It was here one day and inexplicably gone the next.   :(

It probably would have ended anyway after Trump was banned from Twitter, but I suppose that I could have changed the title to something like "Trump Public Statements and Announcements" so people could continue to see and comment on what he has to say without visiting the Trump HQs thread (where negative comments are not always appreciated).

Agree with this. 

1) It’s an easy way to be informed on a wide range of topics within the political sphere. 

2) I find it entertaining due to a number of factors: (a) I find debate intellectually stimulating and the PSF doesn’t have the downside of pissing people off IRL; (b) different views and perspectives are interesting to me, and people IRL are often loathe to share them; and (c) there is a fair amount of humor in the PSF. 

You missed one, and upon reflection what is probably for me, my biggest motivation: the political forum is my primary source for news and current events. 

Don't want to be disrespectful but seriously wanted to ask - Are you serious that the PSF is your primary source for news and current events?

Bored and killing time.  The FFA ain't what she used to be and frankly, I wish this PSF would vanish back into the ether.  The FFA was once a robust place of jocular humor and an occasional fracas.  Now we have a handful of active threads in the FFA with the majority of people over here screaming at each other non-stop.  It's sad.  Minds are NOT being changed, sides dig in deeper and deeper and all it's created is ill will and resentment.

Think of all the positives that sprang out of the FFA over the years.  We raised money for FBGs or their families, supported people in down times, grieved over the loss of posters by sharing happy moments.  Friendships were formed, cornholes were had, threads became legendary for comedic value.  There were fantasy leagues formed across all sports that have lasted for over a decade plus and on and on I could go highlighting the wonderful things that have emanated from the FFA.

What positive has this forum generated?  Taking the political clutter out of the FFA?  It's an exercise in who can use the report button the fastest and get a poster a time out because they said something that might or might not of offended the reporter, but damn it, I'm gonna get this person in trouble because I was just handed out a time out.  It's stupid.  It's petulantce at its finest.  

The whole thing should be eradicated.  Bring the FFA back to glory.  

Thanks, I started that, but for some reason it was nuked by mods despite being one of the most popular threads for about 4 years. It was here one day and inexplicably gone the next.   :(

It probably would have ended anyway after Trump was banned from Twitter, but I suppose that I could have changed the title to something like "Trump Public Statements and Announcements" so people could continue to see and comment on what he has to say without visiting the Trump HQs thread (where negative comments are not always appreciated).

Yeah I banned myself from posting in the Trump HQ thread a while ago out of respect for our right-leaning posters.   They asked to have a place where they can post tributes to their hero without negativity so I have been honoring that request.

Because it shows up on the right side of the main page under "Recent Topics" and "Popular Now" and the agitators in here are good at writing titles with catchy headlines that draw you in.

Don't want to be disrespectful but seriously wanted to ask - Are you serious that the PSF is your primary source for news and current events?
Joe, I think we've had this conversation before. And, yes, the PSF is my primary source* for news and current events because I've found that the forum does a good job identifying current issues. Additionally, since we had a wide array for posters with different viewpoints we actually can see in the same thread about one topic the media reports from news outlets across the spectrum. I find this to be far more beneficial than if I just read Fox News or CNN or whatever singular source when I'm tired of working. 

*I think "primary source" may not be the best phrase and that "outlet" would be better. To clarify what I mean by this, I trust out posters to identify issues and events. However, I don't read the forum and the posts therein to be clear factual news. Instead, I'll read the linked articles, videos, etc. (which would be primary source material) and merely consider posters' input as their opinion and to help shape the issue. For example, I certainly do not take @knowledge dropper at his word that the Maricopa County election results were rigged, wrong, etc. However, his input does help identify the issue and provides me an example of a particular take on the issue. I find this to be more beneficial than if I just got my news from a singular news outlet. For example, when I engage in political discussion with my father-in-law (probably the only person IRL I talk politics about), I find myself far more armed with information, viewpoints, and facts than him because he gets his news from one source (Fox News). In those conversations I know what he's going to say, but he doesn't know what the other viewpoints or interpretation of the facts are like I do. 

Between the PSF and FAA, it is for me. 
It's a big one for me.  A recurring theme in the PSF is that most people agree MSM sucks.  So where do you get news/info?  I get a lot here and twitter. 

Sounds crazy, but I trust it more.  Its more transparent in terms of biases...people are hiding less what they are trying to serve.

The big caveat is that it requires meaningful skepticism and work/diligence to verify information, but it makes a healthier end result imo

I’ll be totally honest, I didn’t include it as an option because that possibility didn’t even occur to me as a possibility and honestly I’m shocked that not only has that been mentioned quite a few times now, but by guys that I really think have good heads in their shoulders. 

Voted Other cause I don't post here mainly due to the judgement and condescending that typically occurs in the topics, but wanted to express like some others I use it as an additional news source for things going on. 

Joe, I think we've had this conversation before. And, yes, the PSF is my primary source* for news and current events because I've found that the forum does a good job identifying current issues. Additionally, since we had a wide array for posters with different viewpoints we actually can see in the same thread about one topic the media reports from news outlets across the spectrum. I find this to be far more beneficial than if I just read Fox News or CNN or whatever singular source when I'm tired of working. 

*I think "primary source" may not be the best phrase and that "outlet" would be better. To clarify what I mean by this, I trust out posters to identify issues and events. However, I don't read the forum and the posts therein to be clear factual news. Instead, I'll read the linked articles, videos, etc. (which would be primary source material) and merely consider posters' input as their opinion and to help shape the issue. For example, I certainly do not take @knowledge dropper at his word that the Maricopa County election results were rigged, wrong, etc. However, his input does help identify the issue and provides me an example of a particular take on the issue. I find this to be more beneficial than if I just got my news from a singular news outlet. For example, when I engage in political discussion with my father-in-law (probably the only person IRL I talk politics about), I find myself far more armed with information, viewpoints, and facts than him because he gets his news from one source (Fox News). In those conversations I know what he's going to say, but he doesn't know what the other viewpoints or interpretation of the facts are like I do. 

Thank you. I'm floored by that but also that's helpful information to better understand folks. 

Thank you. I'm floored by that but also that's helpful information to better understand folks. 
The PSF in it's original incarnation was my primary news source about politics. It isn't as good now as it was then, as a mass exodus of posters has steadily whittled away the diversity. But it's still pretty solid.

Users who are viewing this thread