What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Are Companies Doing About Vaccine Mandates? (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
I poked around and didn't see this getting discussed so am starting a thread of its own. If it belongs someplace else, my apologies.

My wife works at a national healthcare company that has clearly stated that people have until a defined date to be completely vaccinated and have their proof of vaccination filed with and ok'd by HR.

Today is supposed to be the final day and starting Monday, those that are not vaccinated are (allegedly) going to be terminated . . . but there are still 30,000 employees that are either not vaccinated or who have not yet filed their paperwork.

I can't imagine that they could let that many people go and still be able to have a functioning company. My guess is they will extend the deadline. But given that there are so many folks unvaccinated (and many that flat out have no interest),  Given that it involves patient care, I am not sure they can possibly enforce it. It's not like you can have sick and infirmed people treating themselves.

What have people seen going on for other companies?

I work for a woke company and had to get it despite already having covid.  I changed jobs recently and did not want to ruffle any feathers or labeled an anti-vaxer, so I begrudgingly got them.  I heard of a guy who didn't want to get it, and he is still here.  He also has quite a bit of work and is one of the only guys in his region.  I doubt they get rid of him, but I couldn't say the same about me.

I work for a woke company and had to get it despite already having covid.  I changed jobs recently and did not want to ruffle any feathers or labeled an anti-vaxer, so I begrudgingly got them.  I heard of a guy who didn't want to get it, and he is still here.  He also has quite a bit of work and is one of the only guys in his region.  I doubt they get rid of him, but I couldn't say the same about me.
You saying getting  a vaccine or wanting it for company policy is part of "wokeness" now? 

Last edited by a moderator:
You saying getting  a vaccine or wanting it for company policy is part of "wokeness" now? 
No just pretty progressive and ahead of the curve on things like this. they were early on all of these initiatives compared to peers in my industry.  And as far as the "mandate" I just think these mandates should consider natural immunity instead of such a broad policy.  My company may have, but like I said I didn't feel in a position where it was worth making a stink over.

Your wife and I are in similar situations, but my company's deadline is in December and was just announced this week. I have spoken to a few of my co-workers who are talking about leaving because of the mandate. Not sure how serious they are, and frankly I'd be interested in one of their positions if they did leave. Another just caved and got the shot after it was announced. Please keep us updated on how this goes, as it could inform me on what to expect. 

Your wife and I are in similar situations, but my company's deadline is in December and was just announced this week. I have spoken to a few of my co-workers who are talking about leaving because of the mandate. Not sure how serious they are, and frankly I'd be interested in one of their positions if they did leave. Another just caved and got the shot after it was announced. Please keep us updated on how this goes, as it could inform me on what to expect. 
 We might work for the sake company, hmm. 

I work for a DoD entinty and we're all over the place.  Two separate plans have been published and both have been scrapped since.  The email from yesterday says to be prepared to respond to federal civilian workforce guidence when pushed.  It also cites deadlines for federal governement employees... Fully Vax'd by 22 NOV. 

This means you'd have to start mrna shot series versions by Oct 18th.  I asked my boss for more details and he has nothing.  He said the command doesn't have a plan to implement this yet and dates may or may not change.  The command hasn't even started accepting medical or religous excemption requests yet.  Those are taking multiple months to get back for our military folk.

So bottom line, this continues to be a cluster#### and I'm 99% sure it's being held up at legal.  I have my speculation as to why, but don't know for sure yet.  Command is 93% military fully vaccinated and 73% civilian fully vaccinated.  The contractors are closer to 60%, but each company is implementing its own guidance. 

the anti-vaxxers caved.
Is an "anti-vaxer" someone against just the covid vaccines, or any vaccine in general.  I thought it was someone against all vaccines.  Odds are most of these people are just "anti covid vaxxerd

I work for a DoD entinty and we're all over the place.  Two separate plans have been published and both have been scrapped since.  The email from yesterday says to be prepared to respond to federal civilian workforce guidence when pushed.  It also cites deadlines for federal governement employees... Fully Vax'd by 22 NOV. 

This means you'd have to start mrna shot series versions by Oct 18th.  I asked my boss for more details and he has nothing.  He said the command doesn't have a plan to implement this yet and dates may or may not change.  The command hasn't even started accepting medical or religous excemption requests yet.  Those are taking multiple months to get back for our military folk.

So bottom line, this continues to be a cluster#### and I'm 99% sure it's being held up at legal.  I have my speculation as to why, but don't know for sure yet.  Command is 93% military fully vaccinated and 73% civilian fully vaccinated.  The contractors are closer to 60%, but each company is implementing its own guidance. 
The administration just kind of threw it out there and let all the companies try and figure it out on their own.  I wonder what happens if it takes so long to figure this mess out, that covid cases are in heavy decline.  Are they going to change the policy?

Is an "anti-vaxer" someone against just the covid vaccines, or any vaccine in general.  I thought it was someone against all vaccines.  Odds are most of these people are just "anti covid vaxxerd

The administration just kind of threw it out there and let all the companies try and figure it out on their own.  I wonder what happens if it takes so long to figure this mess out, that covid cases are in heavy decline.  Are they going to change the policy?
People who refuse SARS-CoV-2 vaccination are certainly not a homogeneous group, and many don’t align politically/philosophically with traditional anti-vaxxers. But at this point, they’re functionally the same, and use similar arguments to opt out. Absent mandates which threaten their livelihood, I doubt many will be swayed by safety (or any other) data.

I’m happy covid cases are declining, but hope companies don’t become complacent and back down.

The anti-vax is just a pejorative term used to paint the person in a less than adequate light. I think some people are upset and use anti-vax out of frustration. 

This admin is a mess. They dont think through ideas, they just throw #### against a wall. There is a proposal in the new DoD funding bill to accept prior infection as an exemption for the mandate. Crazy to see two these two parallel lines of efforts making their way through the process with such a drastic swing in resulting actions. Same situation, one way I'm good. The other fired.

#Biden'sAmerica #Science #LetsGoBrandon

Most of our offices worldwide are still technically closed though you can work in the office if you make a request to HR.  If you do visit an office you must be fully vaccinated and wear a mask when you are not at your desk.

When offices officially open people that do not wish to get vaccinated can continue to work remotely with supervisor's approval.  

I have received 2 Moderna jabs. But I don't agree with the vax mandates. Our company does not currently require vaccinations but has indicated everyone can voluntarily "self certify" your vaccinations status. Govt will eventually get this data and govt has repeatedly demonstrated they will use any data collected politically.

Update on my wife's company . . .

They have a 3 tiered return to work schedule to get folks back into the office. Basically big wigs are supposed to start this week, Phase 2 for middle management just after Thanksgiving, and everyone else January 1.

The way they are getting around the mandatory proof of vaccination is by saying people need it before they are allowed to go back to the office . . . meaning people can get shifted to one of the other return to work dates.

Starting today, people that were scheduled to return to the workplace that have not proven that they were vaccinated will have their building keycard access disabled. All that means is they can't work in the office. Not sure if that makes them "terminated" or if that just means they can continue to work remotely for the time being. But as of now, I do not believe anyone has been given the boot as of yet.

The DoD Federal civilian mandate has no teeth. Its still scare tactics right now pending additional guidance. 

Today was a deadline to get the mrna version of the shot. The base didn't have Cominaty today, so it's an easy no to anyone who can read between the lines. 

My company is sort of in a wait and see mode. We've been trying to ramp up our hiring all year so the managers are all paying attention to what happens.

my company had a deadline but then relaxed in certain areas who had to meet that deadline then sent out links for individuals to upload shot data/information to prove you had the shot ... I've done none of that and so far I've not been contacted but the bullying and pressure is high enough most people will cave and fall in line at some point

The DoD Federal civilian mandate has no teeth. Its still scare tactics right now pending additional guidance. 

Today was a deadline to get the mrna version of the shot. The base didn't have Cominaty today, so it's an easy no to anyone who can read between the lines. 
Really the term “mandate” as commonly used in this context is a loaded misnomer. No company or government in our country has or will mandate a vaccine.. At worst, you’re given a choice between getting vaccinated or keeping your job, which is not a mandate. It’s like the mythical “lockdown” we all supposedly experienced last year.  

man·date

noun

1. an official order or commission to do something.

It's a signed Biden EO for federal civilians.  How in the world can you say mandate isn't the proper term? 

Good writeup on an ongoing dispute between Lori Lightfoot and Chicago police:  https://doomberg.substack.com/p/chicago-standoff

The reality of the Friday deadline came and went, and the weekend saw continued escalation. On Sunday evening, just as a union meeting was adjourning, the city issued a memo warning officers that they now face disciplinary action (emphasis added):

“A Department member, civilian or sworn, who disobeys a direct order by a supervisor to comply with the City of Chicago's Vaccination Police issued 8 October 2021 will become the subject of a disciplinary investigation that could result in a penalty up to and including separation from the Chicago Police Department. Furthermore, sworn members who retire while under disciplinary investigations may be denied retirement credentials.”

The threat to revoke the pensions of officers – earned over decades – who decide to retire in lieu of submitting to the mandate is a significant escalation, one that is sure to trigger a nuclear response from the union. According to Catanzara, some 40% of the current police force are eligible to simply walk away from the job with full pension. Predictably, the union posted a fiery response to their Facebook page, calling the mayor a tyrant...

Threatening to take someone's pension away- people who grinded out decades for it and could simply walk away in retirement like any other unvaccinated civilian- seems crazy to me.  I got the vaccine myself in the summer, but I really don't like where this is going at all.

Part of the problem that doesn't seem to get talked about a lot is the fact people have lost trust in medical institutions.  Healthcare is a racket in this country, everybody knows it.  These pharmaceutical corporations are making a killing.  The Biden admin, for its part, still won't release IP waivers so that countries like Venezuela can manufacture the vaccine cheaply.  What kind of message does that send?  It makes it look like their incentive is profits, not public health.  

Here we are in the middle of a pandemic, what kind of effort have these institutions made to regain people's trust?  None.  Instead, we just act like "anti-vaxxers" are crazy or stupid, and push to censor them on public forums.  Add in the fact that the way people engage in debate about the vaccine is soooo obnoxious.  Nobody ever had their mind changed by a smug liberal acting like they're crazy or stupid.  Then there's Trump-centric people posting memes correlating the vaccine stuff to Jews being forced to wear the Star of David.  The whole vaccine debate is just an insufferable culture war anymore, I understand why people have checked out completely.

I really think if the vaccine came out before the 2020 election- when COVID was hugely politicized in both directions, which is also part of the problem- we might have just seen the shoe on the other foot regarding who the 'anti-vaxxers' were.  

Tyrant is a nicer word than I would have used.  These leftists are disgusting people. Do what I say or feel the pain.  
Yes, it's horrible.  But I wouldn't call Lightfoot a leftist.  She's a standard machine politician in Chicago.  

The anti-vax is just a pejorative term used to paint the person in a less than adequate light. I think some people are upset and use anti-vax out of frustration. 

This admin is a mess. They dont think through ideas, they just throw #### against a wall. There is a proposal in the new DoD funding bill to accept prior infection as an exemption for the mandate. Crazy to see two these two parallel lines of efforts making their way through the process with such a drastic swing in resulting actions. Same situation, one way I'm good. The other fired.
Or the easier path, just get the ####### shot and keep your job

Yes, it's horrible.  But I wouldn't call Lightfoot a leftist.  She's a standard machine politician in Chicago.  
I think she fits the bill.  Leftist are willing to fight anything that goes against their value system.  This is another example. 

I forgot, I need to go get the shot that doesn't stop the spread to keep the vaccianted people safe. Except it doesnt stop the spread. You guys are really going down with this ship aren't ya. 
And keep you out of the hospital.

Do you have anyone in your life that suffers from cancer? Or is immunocompromised in any way? Have you talked to them about your reluctance to get the vaccine and explained to them that you are just looking out for yourself? And that if hospitals are full with covid patients, and they can't get the care they need, that well, it is not your fault?

I think she fits the bill.  Leftist are willing to fight anything that goes against their value system.  This is another example. 
I don't think that's exclusive to "leftists" is it?  I mean, you personally went to DC to show your support for some vague allegations of "corrupt elections".  You are personally fighting against vaccine and mask mandates imposed by private organizations because they go against your value system. 

And keep you out of the hospital.

Do you have anyone in your life that suffers from cancer? Or is immunocompromised in any way? Have you talked to them about your reluctance to get the vaccine and explained to them that you are just looking out for yourself? And that if hospitals are full with covid patients, and they can't get the care they need, that well, it is not your fault?

Yes, they are all fully vaccinated. They are protected as much as they can be. 

I don't think that's exclusive to "leftists" is it?  I mean, you personally went to DC to show your support for some vague allegations of "corrupt elections".  You are personally fighting against vaccine and mask mandates imposed by private organizations because they go against your value system. 
Who did I hurt?  This chick is talking about taking away people's abilities to feed their families.  Not even on the same playing field. 

man·date

noun

1. an official order or commission to do something.

It's a signed Biden EO for federal civilians.  How in the world can you say mandate isn't the proper term? 
Doesn’t even cover all the feds . USPS isn’t included . I’m vaccinated, fully vaccinated as they say. No idea if my employees are , can’t ask . But they deal with the public on a daily business and yet not mandated. 

Doesn’t even cover all the feds . USPS isn’t included . I’m vaccinated, fully vaccinated as they say. No idea if my employees are , can’t ask . But they deal with the public on a daily business and yet not mandated. 
I just got an update from my supervisor that things are pretty messy behind the scenes across multiple government agencies.  The government has to be careful how they enforce this deadline and process exemption requests.  

Allowing the USPS to be exempt is probably going to come back and bite them as well.  

Military and federal contractors will be mandated.  It's the federal civilians that might be the sticking point.  I think the lawyers know they are painting themselves into a corner. 

Who did I hurt?  This chick is talking about taking away people's abilities to feed their families.  Not even on the same playing field. 
We've been over this dozens of times.  They can feed their families easily enough.  Show up to work on time, don't call the supervisor an #######, get vaccinated.  Or don't and don't work there.  It's a choice.

We've been over this dozens of times.  They can feed their families easily enough.  Show up to work on time, don't call the supervisor an #######, get vaccinated.  Or don't and don't work there.  It's a choice.
Did you miss the pension part?

Did you miss the pension part?
Still a choice, no?  Personally, I'd agree that an already earned pension shouldn't be taken away (also, I suspect the law would have something to say about that), but that's not really my point here.  You said "Leftist are willing to fight anything that goes against their value system" and I noted that's not at all exclusive to leftists.  You, personally, are willing to fight things that go against your value system.  At some level, it's an admirable quality, not one to be disparaged, isn't it?

The threat to revoke the pensions of officers – earned over decades – who decide to retire in lieu of submitting to the mandate is a significant escalation, one that is sure to trigger a nuclear response from the union. 
Wait, so Lori tells police officers to get the shot.  They turn around and say "I have full pension, I'm out".  At that point she will yank their pensions because they didn't get the shot before they leave?

Absolutely astounding. 

Still a choice, no?  Personally, I'd agree that an already earned pension shouldn't be taken away (also, I suspect the law would have something to say about that), but that's not really my point here.  You said "Leftist are willing to fight anything that goes against their value system" and I noted that's not at all exclusive to leftists.  You, personally, are willing to fight things that go against your value system.  At some level, it's an admirable quality, not one to be disparaged, isn't it?
I should have said leftist will cross over to the level of evil to enforce anything that goes against their value system. 

I just got an update from my supervisor that things are pretty messy behind the scenes across multiple government agencies.  The government has to be careful how they enforce this deadline and process exemption requests.   
This is funny that there are conniptions there.  On the contractor side it's pretty simple.  Our place either has 100% compliance or we can''t work on many federal contracts, which would close the doors.  So at the deadline unvaxxed folks will be put on 6 weeks unpaid leave and if they still don't get the shot they are deemed to have chosen to resign.  Hard deadline, no extensions.

The Feds are putting a gun to our heads.

Wait, so Lori tells police officers to get the shot.  They turn around and say "I have full pension, I'm out".  At that point she will yank their pensions because they didn't get the shot before they leave?

Absolutely astounding. 
Well some here call this science!

Some dude at a company I deal with is selling fake vaccine cards and doing a good business.  Wondering what will happen if he gets caught.

Users who are viewing this thread