What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spielberg: Director Hall of Fame **VOTE HERE** (1 Viewer)

What movie should Steven Spielberg go into the Movie HOF with?

• Jaws

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • ET

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Jurassic Park

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Schindlers List

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1941 (JUST KIDDING)

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
So I was thinking when athletes enter the HOF, they have to pick the team they will go in for. Randy Johnson, Mariners or Diamondbacks? Gretzky, Oilers or Kings? Deion, Falcons or Cowboys?

What if directors were entered into the Movie Hall of Fame and had to choose 1 movie to represent them. Look at it however you want, best movie, most successful movie, breakout movie that put them on the map, etc. It's however you see the director best represented. 

Our first inductee is Steven Spielberg. Tough one. 

For me it's Jaws.   Brought us the blockbuster, has the trademark Steve direction and character dynamics, etc..  
I went Jaws as well because of the creation of the blockbuster significance but there’s a case to be made for so many movies of his. It’s pretty incredible.

I went Jaws as well because of the creation of the blockbuster significance but there’s a case to be made for so many movies of his. It’s pretty incredible.
Incredible career for sure.   IMO I started by narrowing down to the blockbusters, as I think that would be more what people's first impulse would be.  Also was a huge chunk of the movies he was making during his apex.   Jaws got the nod because it was a trailblazer on that front, and like I said when we were talking Jaws vs. JP - I think JP is the better blockbuster, but Jaws is the better movie.  

Give Spielberg credit for having #2, #3, #4, etc options that would easily be other great director's top films.  However, the choice here is Jaws in a landslide.  The film has been studied for decades and is one of the all-time best.

Of the other options listed, ET I'd place 2nd but I preferred Munich, Minority Report, and even War of the Worlds over some of the other choices.

Looking at all the sequels that came out of Spielberg movies, it’s actually kind of surprising there was never an ET 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaws is such a happy accident too. Who knows what this movie would have been if the robot shark actually worked and he was able to film it as much as he wanted to. It’s probably a lot cheesier.

Jaws or ET.  I went Jaws cause it stands the test of time better.  I could watch it every week and enjoy it.  All the others, not so much. 

Yeah too bad the good movies he made ended long ago.  Doesn't change what he did.    I'm a sucker for Indiana jones

It's a tougher call for Spielberg than for some other directors that ilov80s will probably get to eventually.  Spielberg doesn't have a definitive visual style; he adapts his cinema to the material.  For a director like Scorsese or De Palma, you could choose the most stereotypical work that includes many of his signature techniques.  That's harder to do for Spielberg whose hallmarks of versatility and storytelling are harder to characterize than a collection of tropes.  Not many directors could release Jurassic Park and Schindler's List in the same year, particularly in the post studio era. 

I voted for Jaws but not with much conviction :shrug:

Voted Jaws and have watched it within the last month.  Holds up pretty well.  Raiders would be my 2nd choice, but like all of them.  Will have to watch 1941 again.

My parents took then 6? yo WDIK2 to see Jaws in the theater.  I ran out at the end.  :(   Love the movie now though.

One would think it would be the film that won Best Picture and he won Best Director (Schindler’s List).
That brings up a good point. How to weigh awards? One issue is that movies like Raiders and Jaws typically have been snubbed despite that they have stood the test of time and are now certified classics and certainly more widely seen than Schindler’s. 

While @Eephusis right that Spielberg is pretty adaptable, I certainly associate him more with the popcorn blockbusters of ET and JP than serious drama of Schindler’s or even Saving Private Ryan.

Voted Jaws and have watched it within the last month.  Holds up pretty well.  Raiders would be my 2nd choice, but like all of them.  Will have to watch 1941 again.

My parents took then 6? yo WDIK2 to see Jaws in the theater.  I ran out at the end.  :(   Love the movie now though.
1941 is incredibly bad 

Jurassic Park for me. I didn’t like Jaws(I was a scared kid), Schindler’s List is a very heavy(and good) movie considering the subject matter, but I was a dinosaur nut as a kid, and I still geek out whenever I’m watching the first film and I hear that first rumble as the T. Rex gets closer.

Side note: The book is even better, because there’s a lot more that the film just couldn’t fit into it.

I absolutely love Raiders and to me it may be the most re-watchable on the list - but I'm surprised it's 2nd.  I expected Private Ryan to be a little higher.  Great thread idea @Ilov80s - I think somebody did a series of most iconic roles for some actors.  Those were good threads too.

Each to a certain extent showcases different aspects of his brilliance.  

To me, it Raiders.  But hard to quibble with any of the other choices.

I had a hard time choosing between Jaws, Raiders, ET and Schindler's List (and I like all of the other choices, too).

Finally went with Raiders.

I made the assumption that in this hypothetical, like the Academy Awards, other directors would be voting, making award winning films higher on the totem pole. If it were a People's Choice Award, then the results would likely be different.

Also, wouldn't any HOF look at the entirety of someone's career and not just one individual aspect of it? Basically a lifetime achievement award?

Also, wouldn't any HOF look at the entirety of someone's career and not just one individual aspect of it? Basically a lifetime achievement award?

Even with the MLB analogy, at the end of the day, for most directors, it would be like a Maddux, Mussina, or Halladay without a logo on the cap on the plaque.

Fun topic to debate anyway.

Even with the MLB analogy, at the end of the day, for most directors, it would be like a Maddux, Mussina, or Halladay without a logo on the cap on the plaque.

Fun topic to debate anyway.

I made the assumption that in this hypothetical, like the Academy Awards, other directors would be voting, making award winning films higher on the totem pole. If it were a People's Choice Award, then the results would likely be different.

It’s not a perfect analogy. Just kind of a way to encapsulate a career into 1 movie as best as possible. It’s ok to view it anyway one wants- awards, box office, influence, etc

Ilov80s said:
Looking at all the sequels that came out of Spielberg movies, it’s actually kind of surprising there was never an ET 2
Thought I heard there was a script that was pretty dark and canned, but may be a hoax

Albert Pujols - The Angels Years

2018 Ready Player One
 2017 The Post
 2016 The BFG
 2015 Bridge of Spies
 2012 Lincoln
 2011 War Horse
 2011 The Adventures of Tintin
 2008 A Timeless Call (Documentary short)
 2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

E.T.  I remember packed theaters and the excitement as a kid to watch it. I’m not saying it’s a better film than others, but it stands out for me. 

E.T.  I remember packed theaters and the excitement as a kid to watch it. I’m not saying it’s a better film than others, but it stands out for me. 
I do wonder the role age plays here. Are people 10 years older than you more likely to vote Jaws? 10 years younger maybe lean JP? I know JP stood out to me the way ET did for you. I remember being excited for weeks leading up to that movie. 

Raiders to me was lost to the Allen character.  He tried to go full bond girl with her and she couldn't carry it off and it ruined it.   Directors should be able to work around bad casting.  

I was in the Vinyid for much of the shooting of Jaws (as support-animal to a Boston party girl whose satchel would get choppered in on wkends) and would like to nominate it solely on the basis of movie miracles performed hourly & daily on that project. And service medals are certainly in order for Ryan & Schindler. But i like to figure what the director would offer up in these sitches and i gotta say that's ET. Always go with the wonder on a Boomer and no conception is more Oz than kids keeping an alien dream butler safe from grownups in their closet. To master the imagination that all the nights of giving life to the monsters under the bed is what led so many of us to fight the power w cameras & guitars. nufced - 

Raiders to me was lost to the Allen character.  He tried to go full bond girl with her and she couldn't carry it off and it ruined it.   Directors should be able to work around bad casting.  
Weird, I thought she was great in it but Spielberg ruined it a bit after introducing how tough she is and then just making it her helpless throughout the rest of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread