What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rolling Stones-Brown Sugar (1 Viewer)

I've bought a few music related items from his store in Phoenix.  was going to put this in free for all forum but just didn't know so here you go.

Press "click here".

you will like it & this is where I'm at.  things have gotten out of hand with the "woke"  IMHO

https://rockstargallery.net/rock-star-gallery-channel/
He's wrong.  They didn't say they'll never play it again; to the contrary Jagger and Richards have both been quoted saying it will probably be back in the rotation at some point.  Just more faux outrage.

He's wrong.  They didn't say they'll never play it again; to the contrary Jagger and Richards have both been quoted saying it will probably be back in the rotation at some point.  Just more faux outrage.
good news then.

thanx.

"I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is,” he (Keith Richards) said. “Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery?"

I'd be interested to hear his explanation for that.

I'm against censoring songs (or any art form) but I don't really have a problem with the band voluntarily stopping playing it. Hard to say they are being cancelled... Pretty sure it's not hurting their bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they didnt. They said they "hope" they get it back in the future. You're picking nits trying to gloss over the point: Hey they might play it again sometime, maybe, in the future!  The fact they dropped it out of their US playlist is 100% bonefide woke BS.

Except it is pretty much now or never for those guys. 

Do the Stones ever play “Under My Thumb” in concert?
I always assumed that this song was intended as criticism of patriarchy.  Is that not the case?  (Serious question -- I don't know about anything about any of the Stones personally).

Well, for that matter, I assumed that Brown Sugar was supposed to be critical of slavery and I guess I don't have any reason to be 100% sure about that either.

I saw a list recently of movies that would never be made today because they are racially insensitive, homophobic, insensitive to women, etc. Some of these movies are all time classics and some of them I’ve always loved (for instance Pretty in Pink- racially insensitive to Asians and objectifies women and worse.)

And yet, if not making these movies is the trade-off for a more civil society in which we respect each other more, then I will take it. 

I saw a list recently of movies that would never be made today because they are racially insensitive, homophobic, insensitive to women, etc. Some of these movies are all time classics and some of them I’ve always loved (for instance Pretty in Pink- racially insensitive to Asians and objectifies women and worse.)

And yet, if not making these movies is the trade-off for a more civil society in which we respect each other more, then I will take it. 

Yeah, I remember reading this interview with Mel Brooks about Blazing Saddles which ridicules racism. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41337151

Mel Brooks: Blazing Saddles would never be made today

Mel Brooks, one of Hollywood's funniest film-makers, has told the BBC political correctness is "the death of comedy".

He said Blazing Saddles, his Western spoof about a black sheriff in a racist town, could never be made today.

"It's OK not to hurt the feelings of various tribes and groups," he said. "However, it's not good for comedy.

"Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks. It's the lecherous little elf whispering in the king's ear, telling the truth about human behaviour.

Movies today aren't trying to make art. They are trying to make money. They are playing it too safe. They protect minorities, they protect corporations, they protect foreign governments. I would gladly exchange people being uncomfortable from art for more good art being produced. The purpose of art is partly to make people uncomfortable. 

Ultimately the Rolling Stones are a corporation on top of artists. The time when they could use Brown Sugar in a Pepsi ad has passed, they have moved on and will try to milk their back catalog in whatever way is most optimal. They have determined it is better marketing to self-censor and create news.

Most art is anti-establishment, "Brown Sugar" included, just its imagery is raw enough to be unsettling. It seems there is not much difference between forcing people to hear about slavery in a radio song vs forcing people to hear about it through a progressive school curriculum, so its weird that progressives have problem with one and not the other, and conservatives the reverse.

Of course, songs that are blatantly anti-conservative have been used by conservatives as rallying cries. Reagan used "Born in the USA." Trump used "Fortunate Son." If conservatives want to sing along to a Critical Race Theory song about how America is built on the enslavement of black people who were often raped, that's cool.

Honest question: how and where is Pretty in Pink racially insensitive to Asians?  I haven't seen that film in a while and cannot recall. 

I don't recall it objectifying women, although the character Steff (the villain of the film) certainly did. 

Honest question: how and where is Pretty in Pink racially insensitive to Asians?  I haven't seen that film in a while and cannot recall. 

I don't recall it objectifying women, although the character Steff (the villain of the film) certainly did. 
Sorry- I meant Sixteen Candles. My bad. 

Say hi to Tipper Gore for me.

Exactly.  Tipper Gore went down in history as a cringey, censorious nerd.

Congrats on taking up the mantle.  
Really? That’s what you got out of what I wrote? 
I don’t approve of censorship of any kind from the government. I have no problem, however, with societal pressure so long as it’s voluntary. 

Really? That’s what you got out of what I wrote? 
I don’t approve of censorship of any kind from the government. I have no problem, however, with societal pressure so long as it’s voluntary. 
Yes, and people who've tried to mount these sort of campaigns against Hammer comics, Dungeons & Dragons, Twisted Sister, GTA, etc. have all -- literally all of them -- come off looking ridiculous.  There's a reason why "Tipper Gore" is a punchline.  When you get dressed down by Dee Snyder of all people, it's hard to recover to from that.

Yes, and people who've tried to mount these sort of campaigns against Hammer comics, Dungeons & Dragons, Twisted Sister, GTA, etc. have all -- literally all of them -- come off looking ridiculous.  There's a reason why "Tipper Gore" is a punchline.  When you get dressed down by Dee Snyder of all people, it's hard to recover to from that.
Sure, but people who have fought for less sexism, less homophobia, more racial inclusion, etc have come off as far less ridiculous than the ones you’ve focused on. So it all depends on the subject. 

Its funny, when I say something like hip-hop / rap music lyircs are out of line the response is typically "its only art and entertainment" or "stop clutching your pearls old man".

But Pretty in Pink is to insensitive to be produced today 🤣

Its funny, when I say something like hip-hop / rap music lyircs are out of line the response is typically "its only art and entertainment" or "stop clutching your pearls old man".

But there is a huge difference. 

I forgot about the moral panic around NWA, Ice Cube, etc.  Those folks were ridiculous too.

It's kind of amazing that more people don't see the parallels between the Moral Majority circa 1986 and the woke fundamentalists today.  "Somebody made a song that I don't like and now my fee-fees are hurt and this must be set right" will never not be funny.

The main difference of course is that the censorious nerds in the 1980s were frumpy housewives and televangelists, who never enjoyed a lot of social capital.  Today's censorious nerds enjoy positions of prominence in the media.  That doesn't make them any less funny though.  If anything, it's actually kind of funnier since you can ridicule these people while also punching up.

Based on Mick's and Keith's comments, this was definitely at the urging of a publicist. Love the tune. Keith at his most skronking open G Keith.

I forgot about the moral panic around NWA, Ice Cube, etc.  Those folks were ridiculous too.

It's kind of amazing that more people don't see the parallels between the Moral Majority circa 1986 and the woke fundamentalists today.  "Somebody made a song that I don't like and now my fee-fees are hurt and this must be set right" will never not be funny.

The main difference of course is that the censorious nerds in the 1980s were frumpy housewives and televangelists, who never enjoyed a lot of social capital.  Today's censorious nerds enjoy positions of prominence in the media.  That doesn't make them any less funny though.  If anything, it's actually kind of funnier since you can ridicule these people while also punching up.
Can we list the songs which have been censored by left wing or mainstream media? This example is self censorship, not even in reaction to negative press - it was done at the start of a tour.

Music is so fragmented these days, few artists have the prominence to cause enough outrage to be censored. The only contemporary example I can think of is Nas X's blood shoes.

Sorry but I don’t think concerns over racism, sexism or homophobia are funny or worthy of ridicule. At all. 

Joe Summer said:
When I was a kid, my fundamentalist aunt said that the Rolling Stones were spawns of Satan.

Now that I'm an adult, my fundamentalist aunt says that the Rolling Stones are being unfairly suppressed by satanic liberals.
When I was a kid, KISS was devil's music. Knights in Satans Service, is what we were told, as fact. Churches brought in speakers, who would travel from church to church, visiting youth groups, and teaching children about the imagery and Satanic worship in hair metal. 

I was taught to be scared of devil music, and quicksand. 

Very disappointing as an adult to find neither.

timschochet said:
Sorry but I don’t think concerns over racism, sexism or homophobia are funny or worthy of ridicule. At all. 
I know you don't.  The people who were all worked up about satanism in D&D didn't understand why they were funny either.

I know you don't.  The people who were all worked up about satanism in D&D didn't understand why they were funny either.
I’m pretty confident that, unlike the examples you bring up, the changes to society that political correctness has brought will be permanent. And that’s a good thing, despite your attempt to diminish them. 

I’m pretty confident that, unlike the examples you bring up, the changes to society that political correctness has brought will be permanent. And that’s a good thing, despite your attempt to diminish them. 
You're posting this in a thread about a 50 year old anti-racist song that you decided to willfully misunderstand five minutes ago.  You are not marching across the bridge at Selma.

You're posting this in a thread about a 50 year old anti-racist song that you decided to willfully misunderstand five minutes ago.  You are not marching across the bridge at Selma.
I didn’t willfully misunderstand anything. I love “Brown Sugar” and I think it’s stupid for anyone to be concerned about it. I’m merely pointing out that for all of the stupidity amd excessiveness that political correctness can sometimes produce, the improvement in civility is a worthy trade-off. And I find your comparison to previous censorship to be rather silly. 

I didn’t willfully misunderstand anything. I love “Brown Sugar” and I think it’s stupid for anyone to be concerned about it. I’m merely pointing out that for all of the stupidity amd excessiveness that political correctness can sometimes produce, the improvement in civility is a worthy trade-off. And I find your comparison to previous censorship to be rather silly. 
So you agree that the song is fine and it's stupid for anyone to be concerned about it.  But this "controversy" is less stupid than the dust-up over Twisted Sister because reasons.

Got it.  Thanks.

So you agree that the song is fine and it's stupid for anyone to be concerned about it.  But this "controversy" is less stupid than the dust-up over Twisted Sister because reasons.

Got it.  Thanks.
I think you got it all along and you’re being willfully obtuse in order to make a rather insipid point, but that’s just, like, my opinion. 

Joe Summer said:
When I was a kid, my fundamentalist aunt said that the Rolling Stones were spawns of Satan.

Now that I'm an adult, my fundamentalist aunt says that the Rolling Stones are being unfairly suppressed by satanic liberals.
Sounds like she got religion!

Users who are viewing this thread