What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Confederate flag + racial slurs = Okay. Protest confederate flag/racial slurs = Suspended (1 Viewer)

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/576752-after-white-students-displayed-confederate-flag-at-school

Black students were suspended from their high school for planning a protest after another group of students came to school waving a Confederate flag. 

Last week, a group of students at Coosa High School in Rome, Ga., were filmed waving the Confederate flag and hurling racial slurs.

Newsweek reported that the four students filmed were carrying the Confederate flag in favor of "farm day" on school spirit day, which led up to homecoming.

They did not face any repercussions.

In response, many students said the school did not do much to reprimand the students carrying the flag; and there was a protest planned to bring awareness to the problem, CBS 46 Atlanta reported.

However, the school administration suspended several students who were planning the protest. Student protesters tell CBS 46 that only Black students were suspended. 

"The administration is aware of tomorrow's planned protest," the administrator said over the intercom before the planned demonstration. "Police will be present here at school and if students insist on encouraging this kind of activity they will be disciplined for encouraging unrest."

Two white students participating in the Friday protest were not suspended, even though they claimed to be as disruptive as the Black students, CBS reported..

In Floyd county, where the county the school resides, 8 percent of Black students were suspended, the highest number. CBS reported. 

Six percent of students with two or more races were suspended; 4 percent of white students were suspended and 2 percent of Hispanic students were suspended.

According to county data, Floyd County is made up of 70 percent white people, with 14 percent being Black people and about 8 percent Hispanic people.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/576752-after-white-students-displayed-confederate-flag-at-school

I think the worst part about this entire thing is that the parents are helping continue the narrative (either by actively teaching or passively doing nothing) that should have been squashed decades ago.

I think the worst part about this entire thing is that the parents are helping continue the narrative (either by actively teaching or passively doing nothing) that should have been squashed decades ago.
The parents agree with the narrative and don't want it squashed.

While I disagree with promoting the Confederacy and its racist history, I do not consent to silencing those who hold those beliefs.

I submit that people can have thoughts and positions that I strenuously disagree with, but still allow them to have the free speech they are promised, and that we have fought for.

I do not agree that there is a reasonable level of censorship

While I disagree with promoting the Confederacy and its racist history, I do not consent to silencing those who hold those beliefs.

I submit that people can have thoughts and positions that I strenuously disagree with, but still allow them to have the free speech they are promised, and that we have fought for.

I do not agree that there is a reasonable level of censorship
We are talking about a high school here. They censor all sorts of stuff. And they most assuredly should censor students yelling racial slurs at their black students

Knowing that area pretty well this is not surprising in the least.  There’s a lot of racists in that region of the state.

Kept up with this, pretty sad story.  Id like to read other sides of the argument if I'm missing anything.

Knowing that area pretty well this is not surprising in the least.  There’s a lot of racists in that region of the state.

Having been around quite a bit through work there are racists everywhere, of every race. I know whitey gets more clicks but some of the stuff I hear from other races is pretty disgusting as well.  In fact it has been years since I heard a whitey say the N word, but I have heard it used recently by two different other races.     Just concerns me it will never be over.

Summer Wheat said:
Having been around quite a bit through work there are racists everywhere, of every race. I know whitey gets more clicks but some of the stuff I hear from other races is pretty disgusting as well.  In fact it has been years since I heard a whitey say the N word, but I have heard it used recently by two different other races.     Just concerns me it will never be over.

<_<

Users who are viewing this thread