What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DETROIT TIGERS OFFICIAL: We are decent!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tigers get Tucker Barnhart

I like it. Two-time Gold Glove catcher, not great with the bat but adequate. Should be good for the young staff. He'll make $7.5M in 2022 which seems a little steep, but there's no commitment beyond that and it's not like the Tigers are up against the luxury tax.

Prospect going the other way, Nick Quintana, just hit .196 as a 23-year-old in Low-A. It's disappointing he's been that bad since he was a 2019 2nd rounder but at this point he doesn't seem like much of a loss.

Spartans Rule said:
Tigers get Tucker Barnhart

I like it. Two-time Gold Glove catcher, not great with the bat but adequate. Should be good for the young staff. He'll make $7.5M in 2022 which seems a little steep, but there's no commitment beyond that and it's not like the Tigers are up against the luxury tax.

Prospect going the other way, Nick Quintana, just hit .196 as a 23-year-old in Low-A. It's disappointing he's been that bad since he was a 2019 2nd rounder but at this point he doesn't seem like much of a loss.
Definitely a great move especially with a weak crop of free agent catchers. The Reds weren't going to sign him so instead of bidding against other teams in free agency they get him for next to nothing and are only committed for one year.

I'm a fan. E-Rod shoulda had a mid-3s ERA in 2021 according to every estimator out there, but his .363 BABIP killed him. The Red Sox as a team allowed a .323 BABIP, by far the worst in MLB - next lowest were the Angels and Orioles tied at .305. Some of that is Fenway and some of it is their #### defense, but either way, Comerica's going to be a better place to pitch.

Rodriguez doesn't turn 29 until just after opening day and was the youngest free agent SP out there, fits in with the Tigers timeline. The one thing that sucks about the deal is he can opt out after 2023. Would hate to see him have 2 great years and then bolt right when we're ready for serious contention.

There is a lot of chatter about the Tigers and Correa. Most people out there think he’s coming to Detroit, and there really hasn’t been a lot of speculation about other teams. 

Having talks with Baez is smart whether he’s a backup plan to Correa, or if they are actually considering signing both. Baez isn’t in the Correa tier of player, but he is a well above average fielder with extreme raw power. He and Correa are also very good friends fwiw. 

:popcorn:  

I know we all want Correa, but getting Baez is not too shabby regardless. 

He’s more of a 5/6 hitter in a good lineup but he’s a player with exceptional athleticism, raw power, and a real flare for the game. K rate is ridiculous and we can hope he stops swinging at everything, but this is a very good baseball player. 

I like it. 👍🏽

I know we all want Correa, but getting Baez is not too shabby regardless. 

He’s more of a 5/6 hitter in a good lineup but he’s a player with exceptional athleticism, raw power, and a real flare for the game. K rate is ridiculous and we can hope he stops swinging at everything, but this is a very good baseball player. 
29 with both a gold glove and a silver slugger award to go with two all star games. Sure beats running Willi Castro out there every day.

I like it. 👍🏽
The negative is the strikeouts but he still has a nice combo of power, speed and glove.

.813 OPS, would have led the Tigers last year (795 JC)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2021.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Biaz signing. Correa's price had to go into the mid to upper $300M range when Seager signed and the Tigers were never paying that. The Biaz contract is very reasonable. His defense will definitely help the pitching.

Compared last year stats between Correa and Baez and was suprised.

Baez 31 HRs  Correa 26

Correa 91 RBIs  Baez 88

SBs Baez 18 Correa 0

BA Correa 276  Baez 265

Is Correa really worth at least 150 million more?
It would be nice if they spent that 150 on another player but I'm not holding my breath. They have already spent more than many were expecting from this current owner.

A couple of recent pitching additions to note. Wily Peralta is back as maybe the 5th starter. This bumps Tyler Alexander back to the bullpen as the long lefty. Andrew Chafin (L) signed from the A's, I  saw a depth chart that would have him as the 7th inning guy. ⚾

Even if they both make the opening day roster, they might be lower in the lineup. This was the lineup Hinch used a couple times in spring games:

Akil Baddoo (left field)

Robbie Grossman (right field)

Javier Baez (shortstop)

Jeimer Candelario (third base)

Miguel Cabrera (designated hitter)

Schoop (second base)

Riley Greene (center field)

Spencer Torkelson (first)

Tucker Barnhart (C)

With that nasty flat brim?

I didn't buy one there. Ordered a $30 online that was normal. 

Remember when we were kids and all hats were the same and you had to "break in" your hat like your would a baseball glove? IIRC we used to put them inside of cups to get just the right curve on the brim. Those flat brimmed hats you cant do this or it deforms the top. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin Meadows for Paredes and a pick? 

Maybe Avila knows what he’s doing? 
He has a team that can compete and is making moves accordingly. We can rake him through the coals over his misses in prior years, but ultimately we weren't competing then so why bandaid when you aren't winning anyway. It's been a long time, but...I'm excited for tigers baseball  :suds:

Even if they both make the opening day roster, they might be lower in the lineup. This was the lineup Hinch used a couple times in spring games:

Akil Baddoo (left field)

Robbie Grossman (right field)

Javier Baez (shortstop)

Jeimer Candelario (third base)

Miguel Cabrera (designated hitter)

Schoop (second base)

Riley Greene (center field)

Spencer Torkelson (first)

Tucker Barnhart (C)
Tork will start low to minimize the pressure, but if he hits then he will move up fast. Story will be the same for Greene once his wheel is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread