What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

China Successfully Tests Hypersonic Missile (1 Viewer)

Is it really scary? China has already had the ability to destroy us instantly with ICBMs for years, if they so chose to do so. How does this make them more of a threat? 

Is it really scary? China has already had the ability to destroy us instantly with ICBMs for years, if they so chose to do so. How does this make them more of a threat? 

It is not instantly.  We would track their missiles and have time to retaliate and ensure mutual destruction.  This makes it more difficult for us to respond. 

It is not instantly.  We would track their missiles and have time to retaliate and ensure mutual destruction.  This makes it more difficult for us to respond. 
So what? Do you really believe that China, or Russia, or anyone else would take that risk? 

A radical Islamist state with nukes, that scares me. Because they are crazy enough that they might not care. China and Russia, they’ve had the ability to kill us all our entire lives. It’s just something we have to live with. 

So what? Do you really believe that China, or Russia, or anyone else would take that risk? 

A radical Islamist state with nukes, that scares me. Because they are crazy enough that they might not care. China and Russia, they’ve had the ability to kill us all our entire lives. It’s just something we have to live with. 

You know what makes me feel safer?  The FBI arresting a local beautician for entering the Capitol building.  I can finally sleep at night knowing our Democracy is safe.  Getting a haircut has become more difficult, but that is the price we pay for keeping this country safe. 

You know what makes me feel safer?  The FBI arresting a local beautician for entering the Capitol building.  I can finally sleep at night knowing our Democracy is safe.  Getting a haircut has become more difficult, but that is the price we pay for keeping this country safe. 
Other than the fact that what you just wrote has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, OK? 

Chiefs’ WR Tyreek Hill, listed as questionable for Sunday due to a quad injury, is expected to play vs. the WFT

Our weapon systems have the ability to defend us against some of the ICBMs by picking them off before they land.  It is my understanding that we have no defense against a weapon of this nature at this time  

Other than the fact that what you just wrote has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, OK? 

I found your assurance that no one would ever try to nuke us not all compelling thinking particularly of North Korea and even the leadership of communist China does not come across as all that rationale and mentally stable.  My point was if we can spend ridiculous resources wasting time tracking down teachers, nurses, and beauticians to save our Democrscy, maybe it is not all that far-fetched to spend some time worrying about the threat supersonic missiles might poise.  Sorry if my comment went over your head or was lost in the sarcasm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found your assurance that no one would ever try to nuke us not all compelling thinking particularly of North Korea and even the leadership of communist China does not come across as all that rationale and mentally stable.  My point was if we can spend ridiculous resources wasting time tracking down teachers, nurses, and beauticians to save our Democrscy, maybe it is not all that far-fetched to spend some time worrying about the threat supersonic missiles might poise.  Sorry if my comment went over your head or was lost in the sarcasm. 
The prosecution of the January 6 people is being performed by the Justice Department and local Washington authorities. Are you suggesting that the Justice Department should be dealing with our nuclear race with China? 

Our weapon systems have the ability to defend us against some of the ICBMs by picking them off before they land.  It is my understanding that we have no defense against a weapon of this nature at this time  
We don’t have a defense against iCBMs. The SDS was a total waste of money and resources because if we can’t stop them all, then we can’t stop any of them. Hopefully we won’t be stupid enough to engage in yet another arms race. 

Agreed, we definitely need to get our defense spending up to snuff

Agreed, we definitely need to get our defense spending up to snuff
We don’t need to spend it on hypersonic missiles with nuclear payloads. Spend it on weapons that will help us win small wars, not nuclear wars. We can afford to cut defense spending in half, and thus achieve most of the progressive agenda, including fighting climate change, which is obviously our #1 priority. 

We don’t need to spend it on hypersonic missiles with nuclear payloads. Spend it on weapons that will help us win small wars, not nuclear wars. We can afford to cut defense spending in half, and thus achieve most of the progressive agenda, including fighting climate change, which is obviously our #1 priority. 

Unfortunately this is dangerously naive thinking.  If we ever get at such a disadvantage where a nuclear war is winnable, we will be at the mercy of that country.  Your faith in the good nature of people is contradicted by the entire history of mankind. 

It was sarcasm

Don't make the mistake in believing that people start from a base of being good.  The absolute opposite is true .

Its one on the main reasons religion was invented in the first place.

Unfortunately this is dangerously naive thinking.  If we ever get at such a disadvantage where a nuclear war is winnable, we will be at the mercy of that country.  Your faith in the good nature of people is contradicted by the entire history of mankind. 
My whole point in this thread is that we cannot get that sort of disadvantage, because the bolded can never be true. Didn’t you ever see WarGames

Russia has had these for a few years now. Aren’t they are our adversary, for 50+ years, and China’s ally?  Have we been hit with one of these and I missed the news?

Defending some ICBMs doesn't really matter when enough still get through to destroy us 10x over.    BTW...we probably have or are close to similar technology to do this to them as well.

If Russia or China wanted to destroy us (and the earth) they could...we could do the same.  There is a reason we won't ever use these things again (after WW2)

Chinese bombing us??

I have a closet full of Nike that says, "lol".

No way China ever attacks USA and loses almost 500 billion a year in sales!! It would put a big dent into their economy.

If they ever attacked USA they would basically include Canada and Mexcio as well.  Canada imports around 50 billion,  but still a hefty sum.

It changes the status quo. Assured mutual destruction has always kept the playing field level, this changes the game. At least for a little bit while the rest of us catch up.

This is a great explanation on how this works and why it's a gamechanger https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1449875231904993288

It changes the status quo. Assured mutual destruction has always kept the playing field level, this changes the game. At least for a little bit while the rest of us catch up.

This is a great explanation on how this works and why it's a gamechanger https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1449875231904993288
Sorry It’s just not compelling. I’m not interested in the ins and outs of a tactical nuclear war. I don’t believe this changes the status quo at all. China will never engage in a nuclear battle with us because the risk to them is too great. 

And I can see where this is heading. The hawks are going to demand that we spend billions (or trillions) on upgrading our nuclear capacity in order to deal with this “threat.” That would be terrible. We can’t allow this to happen. 

And I can see where this is heading. The hawks are going to demand that we spend billions (or trillions) on upgrading our nuclear capacity in order to deal with this “threat.” That would be terrible. We can’t allow this to happen. 
You're about 10 years too late for that, we've been working on one for as long as anyone else, China just got one to work before everybody else did. I agree that we can't get into another intercontinental arms race like we did with the Soviets. The thing is, we kinda wrote the playbook on that and now China is using it against us when our economy really doesn't have the ability to support it  :oldunsure:

Your expertise needs to be in government not in real estate.     

I really do think this is something to be worried about. This would be addressed if we had serious people in positions of power and not one party that kowotws to its progressive, pie-in-the-sky base, nor one that put its trust in the king of empty bloviators, but here we are, arguing about how "woke" our military is while China uses its enormous population and rigorous academic standards to advance in mathematics and physics like we can only dream of every time we have another "woke" debate about females, minority representation, the military, civic duties, and STEM.

So stupid and infantile, our debates. So much death could possibly come from them.

What makes you think the Chinese leadership is not rational or mentally stable?   You say the weirdest things. 

Houston, we have a problem. 

CNN)The US suffered a setback in the race with China and Russia to develop hypersonic weapons when its latest test failed, the Pentagon said in a statement Thursday.

A booster stack, which is the rocket used to accelerate the projectile to hypersonic speeds, failed and the test of the projectile, the hypersonic glide body, could not proceed, the statement said.

Because the rocket failed the Pentagon was not able to test the hypersonic glide body, which is the key component needed to develop a hypersonic weapon.

Houston, we have a problem. 

CNN)The US suffered a setback in the race with China and Russia to develop hypersonic weapons when its latest test failed, the Pentagon said in a statement Thursday.

A booster stack, which is the rocket used to accelerate the projectile to hypersonic speeds, failed and the test of the projectile, the hypersonic glide body, could not proceed, the statement said.

Because the rocket failed the Pentagon was not able to test the hypersonic glide body, which is the key component needed to develop a hypersonic weapon.

if you fail..try..try again.  And the USA will.  USA will succeed well before any of the weapons will ever thought of being used.  Then all the countries will worry about NK or Iran developing the same.

if you fail..try..try again.  And the USA will.  USA will succeed well before any of the weapons will ever thought of being used.  Then all the countries will worry about NK or Iran developing the same.
And we will have spent trillions of dollars achieving nothing of value. 
And then when liberals propose that we actually spend money trying to help people, conservatives will cry that we can’t afford it. It’s an old old game and it’s very depressing. 

As long as we are all-inclusive, how can we lose?

Personally I want ###-kickers fighting, not hugging it out from within. 

And we will have spent trillions of dollars achieving nothing of value. 
And then when liberals propose that we actually spend money trying to help people, conservatives will cry that we can’t afford it. It’s an old old game and it’s very depressing. 

It will be spent regardless of who is in office or power.

Also what is the price tag for having the power to prevent an attack that could wipe out your country?  Or is there one?

It will be spent regardless of who is in office or power.

Also what is the price tag for having the power to prevent an attack that could wipe out your country?  Or is there one?
We don’t have that ability. We haven’t since 1945. We can’t get that ability, Ever. That’s why anything we spend on this is a waste of money. 

For the rest of eternity, China and Russia and any other nation with ICBMs and nuclear weapons will have the power to wipe us out, and we have the power to wipe them out. This will NEVER change. That’s why this latest news isn’t scary at all. It means nothing. 

We don’t have that ability. We haven’t since 1945. We can’t get that ability, Ever. That’s why anything we spend on this is a waste of money. 

For the rest of eternity, China and Russia and any other nation with ICBMs and nuclear weapons will have the power to wipe us out, and we have the power to wipe them out. This will NEVER change. That’s why this latest news isn’t scary at all. It means nothing. 

And whoever is in power will spend the money for the latest..greatest weaponry. These decisons are so far out of the general publics hands that it is fruitless to even think we have any power over this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread