What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutting The Chord (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e

Footballguy
Every week the focus is on who to pick up, but this week with bye weeks hitting and injuries, the more important question may be, who do you kick to the curb in order to fill a gap to pick up help.

For me, if I want to go after a D. Johnson, TY Hilton, etc. I've got to drop at least one of the following (and I'm undecided yet in a 12 team PPR league):

* T. Boyd -- Cinci slow paced, wants to run, threes a crowd apparently. WR 4 at best.

* Jamaal Williams -- Early season production now seems fluky and Swift picking up steam.

* L. Murray -- Injured? And Freeman and Bell getting touches.

Who is getting the ax this week?

As with any drop questions it really depends on who you are dropping them for.  In general I wouldn't have a problem dropping any of those guys but it strictly depends on who you are picking up to replace them.  

In one league I'm cutting Schultz to get another TE for Week 7 (RSJ is out there and is my target).  Already have Kittle in my IR spot, and rest of the bench is clogged with byes and injuries so I do not have any better options to drop.  

In another I'm cutting Golladay to pick up a QB to cover Dak's bye.  Short benches already and I'm not dropping Buffalo defense while they're on bye. 

In another I'm cutting Damien Williams to pick up a QB to cover Josh Allen's bye.  

In one league I'm cutting Schultz to get another TE for Week 7 (RSJ is out there and is my target).  Already have Kittle in my IR spot, and rest of the bench is clogged with byes and injuries so I do not have any better options to drop.  

In another I'm cutting Golladay to pick up a QB to cover Dak's bye.  Short benches already and I'm not dropping Buffalo defense while they're on bye. 

In another I'm cutting Damien Williams to pick up a QB to cover Josh Allen's bye.  

Ooof. What size league's are these?

I'd be shocked to see a Golladay hit the wires.

If you have no byes or injuries this week, other people's trash could become your treasure.

It is often necessary to change your tune on a player mid season.
Absolutely. Draft capital is NOT a consideration. Move those roster clogger turds off your roster in a trade, keep offering until you find a truther. Let them be someone else’s headache. Or outright cut them. There’s nothing worse than clinging to a fifth or sixth rounder you whiffed on, makes you miserable all year.

Take out the trash & be free.

Schultz is overall TE3. Dafuq are you smoking bro?

“I have a Pro Bowler who is always hurt and hadn’t done squat all year, so let me give my league mates a freebie by cutting a breakout player” is not a winning strategy.
Yet I see it every year. And why is it *always* when I made a claim the week before & have 12th priority?! Every time. 

:wall:

The WW in my leagues have been slim pickings all year. If the right opportunity presents itself my first choices to drop are likely Ronald Jones and Kenny Golladay. I guess i'm in the camp of holding out hope for both of these guys, but with byes coming up, its going to be tough to have the roster space to hang on to them. 

Jamaal Williams -- Early season production now seems fluky and Swift picking up steam.
Also contemplating getting rid of Jamaal in my keep 8 league. I also have Swift but have no shot at the title, so even if Swift goes down, Jamaal won’t make a difference.

Probably one more week away from cutting Gaskin.

I think Trey Sermon belongs squarely in this list with Mitchell and Hasty back and eventually Jeff Wilson.

My 5th rd pick.  :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooof. What size league's are these?

I'd be shocked to see a Golladay hit the wires.

If you have no byes or injuries this week, other people's trash could become your treasure.
Shoulda said league size, my bad.  Golladay drop is in a 10 team league, he's my WR5 and I haven't used him once this year.  Not too worried about losing him. 

Schultz is overall TE3. Dafuq are you smoking bro?
Non-PPR league so Schultz is overall TE5 I think, but point taken. Whoever designs the NFL schedule and put all the good teams on a bye the same week must hate fantasy. 

I only have 5 bench spots + 1 IR.  If not Schultz then I either drop Buffalo (overall DST1), Keenan Allen, Najee, Dak, CMC, or Kittle (IR).  I guess maybe Kittle gets the axe and CMC slides to IR, or else I go without a kicker in Week 7 (have Zuerlein on bye also so dropping him anyway).  

Shoulda said league size, my bad.  Golladay drop is in a 10 team league, he's my WR5 and I haven't used him once this year.  Not too worried about losing him. 

Non-PPR league so Schultz is overall TE5 I think, but point taken. Whoever designs the NFL schedule and put all the good teams on a bye the same week must hate fantasy. 

I only have 5 bench spots + 1 IR.  If not Schultz then I either drop Buffalo (overall DST1), Keenan Allen, Najee, Dak, CMC, or Kittle (IR).  I guess maybe Kittle gets the axe and CMC slides to IR, or else I go without a kicker in Week 7 (have Zuerlein on bye also so dropping him anyway).  
Trade Kittle? I am sure someone with an open IR spot would be willing to give up a TE for him

Trade Kittle? I am sure someone with an open IR spot would be willing to give up a TE for him
This.

Don’t flat out drop assets to the people you are competing against.

FWIW I almost always have the two IR spots filled in all my leagues. It doesn’t even matter if I never start them. It’s a block’ In my main league it was Curtis Samuel and Rashod Bateman. Let go of the WFT’s NIB broken toy, moved Bateman to the active roster - I have three on a bye so he’s my Flex for 1 week.

If you don’t need the depth and they’re of value to someone ends, why would you not upgrade your starters? Are people adverse to making trades?

Every week the focus is on who to pick up, but this week with bye weeks hitting and injuries, the more important question may be, who do you kick to the curb in order to fill a gap to pick up help.

For me, if I want to go after a D. Johnson, TY Hilton, etc. I've got to drop at least one of the following (and I'm undecided yet in a 12 team PPR league):

* T. Boyd -- Cinci slow paced, wants to run, threes a crowd apparently. WR 4 at best.

* Jamaal Williams -- Early season production now seems fluky and Swift picking up steam.

* L. Murray -- Injured? And Freeman and Bell getting touches.

Who is getting the ax this week?

I've never been a fan of holding Murray. TD dependent, just like Conner, and you never know when to start him. It burns you more often than it helps, and I just like to pass that landmine onto someone else's roster via trade or outright release. Takes the guess work out of my hands and into theirs.

Boyd is a hold due to the offense, and so is Jamaal due to the role and the rushing game profit. 

I don't like rostering Marvin Jones for the same reasons as Murray. Bad team, can't trust them, he lucked out yesterday vs a super trash DBs collection. Don't trust Lawrence or Meyer, plus he bombed in garbage time vs the Titans. 

I don't think it's necessary to hold WR3 types that are barely above replacement level on your rosters on mediocre to bad offenses. I wouldn't roster any JET WR outside of Corey Davis (Crowder is a stretch in PPR.) Tim Patrick to me is just super boring and short-lived soon. Robby Anderson to me has been a cut. Wouldn't own Callaway. etc Only own Shepard and Toney on the Giants. Hell I'd probably cut Shenault too just for the situation and let someone else deal with it. Ruggs is boom / bust and you'll never know when to play him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped Gollady, or however you spell it. His ceiling and floor are too low to wait for. No one is buying either. 
Giants spend $72M to acquire production they could have found in the 3rd round. Tied with the NYJ for fewest wins so once 2017 and it ain’t getting better anytime soon.

This is a good cut, though. IMO. There is no value for KG or Aiyuk. But I promise you Kittle still has believers.

I don’t know man. If you’re in tune with what’s been happening lately, sometimes it’s just better to face the music and bring in new talent rather than keeping the draft day band together, regardless of how much you thought a player would rock out for you. DLR was way better in his prime, but Sammy was the right call to move forward.

I've never been a fan of holding Murray. TD dependent, just like Conner, and you never know when to start him. It burns you more often than it helps, and I just like to pass that landmine onto someone else's roster via trade or outright release. Takes the guess work out of my hands and into theirs.

Boyd is a hold due to the offense, and so is Jamaal due to the role and the rushing game profit

So true on Murray.

I think I have his stint in NO when he filled in for somebody and had a string of games where not only was he getting TDs/yards but was also catching the ball. 

Now it's either fall in the endzone or nothing.

If he's the last bit dinged, he could be the one to go. Sadly may drop him for the likes of R. Penny to cover me Monday night for A. Collins.

I think of most the players, Kittle would be my last drop. He’s a separating force if he’s healthy. The others don’t feel like I’ll ever want to start. Ayuk might pan out for a few games but I’m losing hope. 

Users who are viewing this thread