What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 7 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

OK, I finally have an offensive one: 

IDP league, PPR, 6 pt all TD, .1/1 Ru/Re, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 O-FLX

QB, WR1-2, RB1-2, TE1 & O-FLX locked in. 

At WR3 I can choose 1 of the following: 

*Higgins - drafted as my WR3, but difficult to trust) 

*Mooney - Going against a truly terrible passing defense, but with enough pass rush that they could be disruptive to a rookie QB

*AJ Green - the resurgence continues, and his targets & TDs along with it. 

Not for nuthin, my opponent has to start Fields, and has his top 5 players on a BYE.  I know in my heart of hearts that it doesn't matter that I have the WR of my opponent's QB. All that matters is that my WR3 outscores his WR3, and my QB outscores his QB. I know that, but I also know it's demoralizing when his QB hits my WR for 5 catches for 60 yards, and I get 11 points for that while he only gets 3.2 

Also, on paper at least, BAL is 8th against the pass & HOU is 5th against the pass.

Am I crazy to start Mooney over Higgins/Green? 

Am I crazy to start either Green or Mooney over Higgins? 

Who should I start of these 3? 
Please, ask all the IDP questions you want. There is no shortage of people willing to offer opinions, informed or otherwise.

You've got three fairly equivalent options.

I have trouble with the Bears passing game. The good news is it appears to be a two man show with Mooney slightly edging Robinson for opportunities. But they are not throwing a ton and they are definitely a short passing team ATM. Also, although this probably means nothing, Mooney has been an every other week guy and scores less magic football points on the road. This is the other week and they're on the road.

Love AJ and what he is doing in Arizona. He's getting the fewest opportunities of the three but he's probably not seen this much space in opposing defenses in his entire NFL career and he's maximizing his opportunities. My biggest concern is what happens when Arizona goes up big this week, does it become the James Conner show? I also just remembered that they got Ertz. How does that impact the offense?

Higgins is seeing the most opportunities per game (I keep mentioning opportunities, it's important but the differences are small. Between 6 & 7). He has the physical measurables, the draft capital and a QB with a big arm. Baltimore has been tough on WRs, although they seem vulnerable to TEs.

I am probably too down on Mooney but to me it comes down to AJ & Tee.

I ultimately lean towards AJ simply because the Cardinals have the easiest path to the most points.

FFPC scoring:

Need TWO of the following:

K.Drake vs Phi

B.Aiyuk vs Ind

E.Engram vs Car

Ty Williams vs Cinn

G.Bernard vs Chi

T.Marshall @ NYG
Wow, no earthly idea but let's give it a shot.

I want to believe Aiyuk will eventually get off the schneid. I think he has the most talent and the highest ceiling.

The Ty'son experiment seems clearly over.

Marshall & Bernard don't see any volume.

I would put Drake in that bucket too but last week, I'm sure gave everyone pause.

Engram probably has the most talent after Aiyuk (arguably more) and has performed well with limited QB play. He gets almost 6 opportunities per game too (most of anyone on your list).

I think Aiyuk then probably go with Engram. I can see the argument for Drake instead of either of them.  But none of the others.

AJ Dillon or Herbert at RB2?

Bateman or Rashad Penny (if collins looks questionable) at flex?

These choices are on the same team… so could go Herbert and Dillon.

Welcome to the byepocalypse.
I love what Herbert has done the past two weeks. Definitely played himself into a timeshare if not a the 1a to Williams 1b. I have the matchup obviously but there is no way the Bears game plan isn't to try and run as much as possible.

Dillon's touches the past three games strongly suggest he has played himself into a Pollard type of role. He also has a much better matchup.

I say Dillon because of potential game script.

I can't see going with Bateman ATM. 6 targets was nice but that felt a little game script driven. His first target Baltimore was up by 17 and it was promptly intercepted. He saw action on the next drive though. Either way it's his second game as maybe the third passing option on a low volume team.

Penny is also a big unknown. Carroll seems super amped to have him back, but Carroll is super amped about taking his dog for a poop walk too. That's just who he is.

I believe Carroll runs a true meritocracy and Penny will be given every chance to earn as many touches as he deserves. How many is that? No idea.

The smart play is Dillon & Herbert.

The upside play is Dillon & Penny.

The moon shot play is Bateman & Penny.

Not a WSIS question but a who should I roster question if you don't mind

PPR re-draft league who is the better pick up

Bateman or Hilton?
I like Hilton. Paris Campbell is done for the year. Hilton proved he still has skills and he is most likely already the #2 option (only injury will put Bateman in that spot).

Three decisions:

Streaming QB:

Wentz @ SF (SNF)

WINSTON @ SEA (MNF)

RB2:

Carter @ NE

Herbert @ TB

MCKISSIC @ GB

Javonte Williams @ CLE (TNF)

Flex:

BATEMAN v CIN

or one of the RBs from above

CAPITALIZED are where I’m leading but I’m like a reed in the wind on two of them. Bateman is 80% chance but still interested in opinions.

TIA
Okay.

Not many teams throw the ball less than N.O. with 24 att/game. Indy is @ 33. Not many QBs have been as up & down as Winston either. Seattle is a terrible defense but they haven't been terrible v QBs in magic football. Trey Lance had what looks like a fluky TD against them. But against pocket passers only Cousins did any real damage. Considering Jameis has thrown 20, 22, 21, 23 & 30 passes so far I would play him only if you think you need the big upside game and hope he has another 4 TD effort in him. But if you're looking for a 250 & 2 floor I would go with Wentz.

McKissic seems like the right call, particularly if it's PPR.

I'm clearly going to have trouble with Bateman this week. He looked decent last week in a game his team dominated. But he's still a #3 passing option on a relatively low volume passing attack. But, hey maybe Andrews & Marquise draw all the coverage and make it easy for Bateman to get open. Cinci shouldn't be an easy out either so Baltimore may have to pass more.

Normally I would prefer Herbert or Javonte in this situation but their matchups look brutal this week.

Bateman>Herbert>Javonte

just feels like Ruggs will have a Torrey Smith career of always teasing what he can do but rarely delivering.
Interesting comparison. You may not be wrong.

FWIW Ruggs is on pace for 1260 yards this season (1187 over 16 games). But definitely a low volume guy.

What are people doing for streaming QBs this week? I'm still trying to find my Wilson replacement. Daniel Jones last week was a disaster, but I may go back to the well vs Carolina this week because I'm a masochist. Main alternative is Ryan with a great match-up vs. Miami. Could also go Wentz @ SF or Mac vs NYJ (If Tua were available I'd take him in a second.)
Im not a Tua fan so I think you got lucky.

I like Daniel Jones in this situation because he can hurt you with his feet too.

Then probably Wentz over Ryan & Jones. That Indy team looks like it is getting better every week.

2nd QB spot.  Mac Jones vs. Heinike

Yardage is key metric.
Jones probably. Despite the better matchup, from a game script perspective, Heineken is probably one bad INT, or anemic first half away from being benched for Kyle Allen.  I wouldn't feel confident in a full game from him.

I am probably too down on Mooney but to me it comes down to AJ & Tee.

I ultimately lean towards AJ simply because the Cardinals have the easiest path to the most points.
I’ve been weighing opportunity vs potential game scripts.

I share your concern about Mooney, but of the 3, he seems to be most likely to be in a favorable game situation with the Bears having to play from behind all night.

I worry that Houston won’t put up enough points to be competitive & AZ won’t throw as much as a result. 

The Ravens are the toughest defense, but they should also score plenty against Cinci which could keep the Cinci pass game active, so long as the pass rush doesn’t blow up Burrow. 

Ugh. It’s a tough choice. 

I’ve been weighing opportunity vs potential game scripts.

I share your concern about Mooney, but of the 3, he seems to be most likely to be in a favorable game situation with the Bears having to play from behind all night.

I worry that Houston won’t put up enough points to be competitive & AZ won’t throw as much as a result. 

The Ravens are the toughest defense, but they should also score plenty against Cinci which could keep the Cinci pass game active, so long as the pass rush doesn’t blow up Burrow. 

Ugh. It’s a tough choice. 
It is a tough choice, there isn't really a bad choice just bad outcomes. I could see making several changes between now and kickoff.

I agree about Mooney, he shares targets the least by far and it is difficult to see a scenario where he doesn't have to throw another 27 passes if not more.  If it's PPR he is probably the high floor guy.  He also has some TD upside.

It wouldn't be a bad decision to start him.

It is a tough choice, there isn't really a bad choice just bad outcomes. I could see making several changes between now and kickoff.

I agree about Mooney, he shares targets the least by far and it is difficult to see a scenario where he doesn't have to throw another 27 passes if not more.  If it's PPR he is probably the high floor guy.  He also has some TD upside.

It wouldn't be a bad decision to start him.
It’s PPR

Part of me is thinking I should just stick with Higgins.

because 

1. I drafted him as my WR3, so it’s easier to take a weak start in my lineup than a monster game on my bench. “Dance with the girl that you brought” sort of thing.

2. it’s a divisional game, so it could be  competitive.

3. There isn’t really a 3, but it’s a list and it feels Ike lists should have at least 3 things. If there was a 3, it’s that I’m playing a somewhat weak team, who has their top 5 players on BYE, while my team is missing only Danille Hunter.  I’m favored to win by 60 points, so this isn’t really a life & death situation here. 

Appreciate the advice though! 

I think he believes that...until they fall behind. Every team wants to run the ball, but when you're down by more than a touchdown, it's easier said than done.

I agree with you, but if you have a tossup WDIS I was just suggesting you discount any Carolina passing players a smidge.

I have a bit of a fun one here, I think.  For a flex spot, my options are:

- D'Ernest Johnson vs. Den.
- Donovan Peoples-Jones vs. Den, presuming Beckham and Landry are out
- Michael Pittman at SF:  he was dropped in overnight waivers and I've submitted a claim for him; however I would not know if I acquired him until Friday, thus nullifying the first two options.
- Chase Edmonds vs. Hou

Timing notwithstanding, Pittman would be my top choice if Hilton doesn't play, and with Parris Campbell out.  Edmonds makes me nervous given his lack of usage in non-competitive games.

Lots of variables here...I'm feeling like it's worth the wait since the Cleveland game could be a complete dud offensively.

James Conner vs Houston or D’Ernest vs Denver or Alex Collins vs NO.  Full ppr if that matters. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Need one for flex in standard: (WR) Tee Higgins @Ravens; (WR) H. Ruggs III vs Eagles; (WR) Tim Patrick @Browns; (RB)J. Williams @Rams; (TE) H. Henry vs Jets? 

I have a bit of a fun one here, I think.  For a flex spot, my options are:

- D'Ernest Johnson vs. Den.
- Donovan Peoples-Jones vs. Den, presuming Beckham and Landry are out
- Michael Pittman at SF:  he was dropped in overnight waivers and I've submitted a claim for him; however I would not know if I acquired him until Friday, thus nullifying the first two options.
- Chase Edmonds vs. Hou

Timing notwithstanding, Pittman would be my top choice if Hilton doesn't play, and with Parris Campbell out.  Edmonds makes me nervous given his lack of usage in non-competitive games.

Lots of variables here...I'm feeling like it's worth the wait since the Cleveland game could be a complete dud offensively.
Edmonds is probably not a bad fall back option if you miss out on Pittman. Houston can't run with Arizona and the Cards should be trying to control the clock with Conner & the short passing game.  Edmonds probably will be a factor in that, his usage the last couple weeks is disappointing but not prohibitive IMO.

If you decide to make a move for Thursday I kind of like Peoples-Jones but not by a huge margin. Really don't know what to expect out of Cleveland tbh.

James Conner vs Houston or D’Ernest vs Denver or Alex Collins vs NO.  Full ppr if that matters. 
Not a lot to love here. I think I have to give a slight edge to Conner because he is clearly the goal line guy in Arizona and the Cardinals should score at will against Houston and be in a grind it out situation at some point.

Need one for flex in standard: (WR) Tee Higgins @Ravens; (WR) H. Ruggs III vs Eagles; (WR) Tim Patrick @Browns; (RB)J. Williams @Rams; (TE) H. Henry vs Jets? 
I love Ruggs right now particularly in standard scoring.  Unfortunately Ruggs's value to real NFL football>>>magic football.

I probably lean Patrick overall IF (big IF) Bridgewater plays. If Lock starts I suddenly hate Patrick and lean Higgins.

Higgins may be the best choice regardless because he, presumably is the best talent and has the best QB throwing to him (except maybe Carr).

I love Ruggs right now particularly in standard scoring.  Unfortunately Ruggs's value to real NFL football>>>magic football.

I probably lean Patrick overall IF (big IF) Bridgewater plays. If Lock starts I suddenly hate Patrick and lean Higgins.

Higgins may be the best choice regardless because he, presumably is the best talent and has the best QB throwing to him (except maybe Carr).
Thanks!

Pick a WW QB to cover for Dak:

Bridgewater vs. CLE

Tua vs. ATL

Wentz vs. SF

Jones vs. CAR

I personally added Tua this week (among all those choices) to cover for Wilson.  ATL is by far the best matchup, plus a bad Dolphins defense should require the Dolphins offense to be in go-mode at all times.

Pick a WW QB to cover for Dak:

Bridgewater vs. CLE

Tua vs. ATL

Wentz vs. SF

Jones vs. CAR
Bridgewater is banged up, in the road at a tough D.

The other three are pretty interchangeable.

I like Jones because he can run. Matchup could be a little tough, also no Golladay or Toney.

I can see Tua against that D but I just don't trust Tua. He's a dink & dunk guy IMO. He can move a little but he seems to move to look downfield.

I think Wentz has the highest floor. He seems to be a 250 & 2 guy pretty consistently. Maybe SF fixed their defense over the bye but they were beatable. 

Jones>Wentz>Tua>Bridgewater

Standard Scoring

Need a flex...

Herbert @ Tampa

MDavis @ Miami
Obviously Tampa's run D is tough but the Bears will try to establish the run and throw some quick screens and IF they get the ball in close will use Herbert almost exclusively if Williams is not back. I like his upside a little better than Davis if this is the case but it is an easy call if Williams is back because they will probably split carries and have a much tougher matchup. 

In standard format I would go with Ruggs and hope for the big play. Higgins would be my 2nd choice

just feels like Ruggs will have a Torrey Smith career of always teasing what he can do but rarely delivering.
Ruggs is talented enough to crush it on a team like Tampa, but we haven't seen him receive enough targets in Oakland to merit our trust. 

PPR…..

Donavon Peoples Jones against Broncos

Allen Robinson at the Bucs…Questionable

TY Hilton at SF…..Questionable

0.5 PPR and choosing between Miles Sanders and D'Ernest. No win sitch, if you ask me... so I'm asking you!
D’Ernest probably getting volume. Not so much volume for Sanders so far. The coaches have talked about using him more. 

I could see D’Ernest getting 6 pts and I could see him get 20. He has fresh legs and the Broncos are beat up on D. I’d think he would have the most upside but who knows.

Standard Scoring

Need a flex...

Herbert @ Tampa

MDavis @ Miami
I think you have to go with Davis here. Much better matchup and, while Cordarrelle gets the headlines for his surprising performance Davis is quietly getting 17+ opportunities per game, he plays 3 downs & short yardage.

0.5 PPR and choosing between Miles Sanders and D'Ernest. No win sitch, if you ask me... so I'm asking you!
I wish I had any hint of an idea what to expect from Cleveland this week. I mean do you assume Johnson is going to get the majority of volume and Demetric is strictly the backup? Or will there be a bigger split? 

Also what is the status of Cleveland's offensive line?

Sanders seems to clearly be the superior talent but his volume is incredibly frustrating. You really have to hope for a big play TD or that this is one of the games he gets 5 targets.

I think you roll the dice on the assumption that Johnson gets the volume and maybe does something with it 

Johnson>Sanders

PPR…..

Robinson missed practice last week as well so I think he was just getting a veterans day of rest yesterday. BTW does anyone actually practice anymore?

I know hes been horrible but vs pass funnel defense like TB I think hes the best play you have.

PPR…..

Think this one has to be DPJ

I have a similar horrible question. Needing to start two, if OBJ is active tonight, do I start him along with Peoples-Jones and get two pieces of the Keenum pie, or bench either for Rhamondre v Jets? Full PPR

Robinson missed practice last week as well so I think he was just getting a veterans day of rest yesterday. BTW does anyone actually practice anymore?

I know hes been horrible but vs pass funnel defense like TB I think hes the best play you have.

Is Tampa really a pass funnel, or is it just a tough run D in combination with opponents playing from behind a lot simply causing a lot of passing downs, which in theory works, but if all it's doing is giving more opportunities which Fields/ARob do nothing with, then what's the point?

PPR…..

If you had told me before the season that at any point I would rank Peoples-Jones above ARob & TY I would have laughed.

But...maybe?

I did get a sleeperbot alert that Landry may play, the Browns line may be a big issue too and Mayfield is out. But PJ has been stunningly relevant these past two games and appears to be a big play waiting to happen.

ARob has been one of the biggest disappointments in all of magic football this season. He's also got an ankle issue. But he has an amazing matchup in a game the Bears should be trailing all day. So long as he practices today and tomorrow he isn't a bad option (out of three questionable options).

TY came back and was immediately relevant and explosive. Then he hurt his quad ☹️ he is the likely #2 WR on a team that is probably better than their record and probably also still playoff relevant.

Then there is the Thursday night factor for the one guy you know will at least be on the field.

Okay, I've told you what you already know.

Personally I like TY of the three but he's got an afternoon game and you won't have anyone to pivot to if he doesn't play, which you likely won't know before kickoff of Bears @ TB

My ranking if I knew they would all play is TY>ARob>>PJ

But I don't so PJ is the "safe" move because you know he's playing.

Funny, I do the exact opposite. I don't look at my opponent's team at all. I don't want to cloud my judgment based on what they have. I want to focus on my team so I can pick the guys I think will score the most points. The opponent doesn't affect my players, so I eliminate that distraction. 

It also increases my football-watching enjoyment. I have no idea who my opponent has, so I can have fun watching some great plays with no clue that they're torching my team until later that night. 

Your plan seems fine, too. 

I do what you do as well. I was answering a specific question about a specific position (WR3) on a specific week where his opponents has 5 bye week players. I firmly believe that there is more than one strategy to be a good FFL manager and it's more of a week by week assessment and adaptation based on needs than anything else. Based on his question, the fact it was only for a WR3 and the other guy has 5 bye week players, that's how I would approach it. Another question with different parameters would have most likely generated a different answer. 

Think this one has to be DPJ

I have a similar horrible question. Needing to start two, if OBJ is active tonight, do I start him along with Peoples-Jones and get two pieces of the Keenum pie, or bench either for Rhamondre v Jets? Full PPR
I play Stevenson because there is more clarity about his team than anything happening in Cleveland.

He has a plus matchup and his usage the last two weeks is trending up. He doesn't have a good floor but neither do PJ & OBJ.

Realistically have to start 2 of:  D'Ernest Johnson (Thursday), Mike Davis and Alex Collins.  FBG Dominator says DJ and Collins ahead of Davis, so I'll likely leave Johnson in the lineup and see what Collins looks like by Sunday.

If I only start one of them, I have to go with one of: Jerick McKinnon, Terrace Marshall, Elijah Moore, Quez Watkins

Having some real TE issues this year. Drafted Kittle, injured. Picked up Knox, injured and on BYE. So my choices this week are 

Gesicki vs Atlanta - seems solid, decent matchup

Ertz vs Houston - good player, great new QB and they might want to feature him, but new team, might need time to settle etc

Any help appreciated

Fant tonight in a game that could be 20-13, or Higbee vs Detroit in a 38-10 game where Stafford can choose who will get the TDs? Standard scoring.

Having some real TE issues this year. Drafted Kittle, injured. Picked up Knox, injured and on BYE. So my choices this week are 

Gesicki vs Atlanta - seems solid, decent matchup

Ertz vs Houston - good player, great new QB and they might want to feature him, but new team, might need time to settle etc

Any help appreciated
Gesicki has been seeing a fairly consistent stream of targets

Fant tonight in a game that could be 20-13, or Higbee vs Detroit in a 38-10 game where Stafford can choose who will get the TDs? Standard scoring.
Fant although not for any matchup reasons. He stays in the block 21% of the passing plays. He doesn’t run as many routes even though he’s on the field a lot. Fant is the second option on the team.

wrt DET v positions, they’ve given up the 26th most FF Pts to WRs, 20th to TEs, 1st (or worst) to RBs.

to clarify: 2nd & 3rd sentences are about Higbee

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread