What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Type of trading personality? (1 Viewer)

zaner75

Footballguy
Background info: Long-running 12 team 1QB keeper home league with fairly standard QB scoring outside of bonus points for 300/400/500 yards (cumulative 2/3/4 bonus points) and point per completion above 30.
Between early drafting (6 QBs between 2.11 and 3.09) and keepers (5), I went late-round QB and got Tannehill. My team is good (5-1 start, 2nd most points for) and I am looking to upgrade at QB.
There were 4 new owners and one is off to a 1-5 start and has Dak Prescott. I messaged him to see if he would be willing to trade Prescott. I included a soft proposal of one of my QBs (Tannehill or Wentz) to help him with byes this week (as he also has Lawrence on bye) and a draft pick upgrade or an upgrade at another position. Here is the reply I received:
"Hey! Sorry.. I’m not interested in trading him. Of all my draft picks… he’s the most consistent every weekend "

I remember reading articles about the different types of personalities in fantasy football regarding trading. How would you categorize this owner? To me, he is most likely out of playoff contention but doesn't realize it yet. I understand that most people in my league do not view their situation beyond the current week and also want to improve their lineup with giving up anything of consequence (the trade block, if used, is always bench players with no value above what is available on the waiver wire). He seems to be like this.
Is there any possibility of working out a trade with this owner? What trading personality does this owner have where he is not even willing to entertain trading the only player on his team that is performing, even though his team is poor?

I have put draft pick upgrades and potential late round RB keepers (Dobbins, Akers, Etienne all stashed on IR) on the table in case he changes his mind and starts thinking about next season.

Another new owner has Hurts and Stafford as he drafted them at 3.01 and 5.01. He is a fantasy football rookie. I've messaged him about me looking to upgrade at QB but haven't heard anything back. Last week, he picked up Le'Veon Bell on waivers and dropped Dalvin Cook. There were some messages posted about that transaction, so he is now probably gun-shy about making a move.

Being a keeper, I can kinda understand him being hesitant to trade away Dak for a downgrade at QB and a slight bump in the draft.  I guess it depends on what that extra value is.

I vaguely recall such an article, but I forget the different personalities.  However, they were personalities all too familiar to fantasy footballers.  They exist in every league!

I will take my best stab at it . . . 

The guy you are dealing with is Paranoid Paul.  His team is perennially stuck at mediocre, but he is afraid that the moment he trades away his WR2, the guy is going to become the next Randy Moss.  He has roster paralysis.  Paul is destined to finish in the middle of the pack, but he just doesn't want to either (a) finish at the bottom, or worse, (b) watch another team win with the player he traded away.

Paranoid Paul is certain other owners are trying to take advantage of him, and he is determined to stymie that effort.  Nobody's gonna make Paranoid Paul look like a fool!

You want Paul's QB3?  "What if my top 2 QBs suffer injuries? Besides, I still have to navigate bye weeks."  Nevermind that Paul's top reserve at wideout just went on IR.  Paul is convinced that Taylor Heinicke is on his way to becoming the next Dan Marino.  You will have to sign over your first born to get Heinicke.

And when it comes to keepers, Paranoid Paul is absolutely wed to his players.  Don't bother trying to pry one away from him.  If you want a player, that alone is enough to set off alarm bells for Paranoid Paul.  You must know something, and now that player is untouchable.  Paranoid Paul isn't gonna be outsmarted.  You gotta get up mighty early to pull one over on Paul!

The good news is, Paranoid Paul is no threat to win the title, although he rationalizes he is just a year away.  Always a year away.  The best advice is to hype one of your own players enough in hopes Paul will make his own offer, but don't hold your breath.  

The Hurts-Stafford owner is Rookie Rick.

Rookie Rick is not only the newcomer to the league, he is new to fantasy football.  You were desperate to fill a void, and you’re not really sure how Rick ended up in the league; he’s a league member’s brother-in-law, a former co-worker of a friend of a league member, or, worse, he’s just some dude you found on the internet at 2 am after you’d been on a drinking binge.  Nobody’s really certain.  Rookie Rick has no idea how to navigate the league website.  He spent an hour on the phone with tech support just trying to setup his initial login, and he has had to reset his password twice already.   Rick constantly has a barrage of questions, but at least he is setting his lineups.

Your dynasty Commissioner has had to intervene twice so far.  First, when one of your other leaguemates, Unscrupulous Gus, tried to fleece Rookie Rick on draft day, and more recently when Rookie Rick dropped an injured Christian McCaffrey for Peyton Barber after relying on some DFS rankings.  Now Rick is gunshy to make any moves.  

It’s mid-October, and Rookie Rick still hasn’t fully worked out the scoring scheme.  Rick is afraid to make any trades until he gets a better understanding of how the league works.  The harder you push, the more nervous Rick becomes.  He is a frazzled mess.  It may be best to back off on your trade requests.  Check back with Rick next season.

Another new owner has Hurts and Stafford as he drafted them at 3.01 and 5.01. He is a fantasy football rookie. I've messaged him about me looking to upgrade at QB but haven't heard anything back. Last week, he picked up Le'Veon Bell on waivers and dropped Dalvin Cook. There were some messages posted about that transaction, so he is now probably gun-shy about making a move.
What are the payouts/buy-in and what town do you live in, considering moving... 🤣

It's hard, I have a leaguemate with 4th from the bottom on points.  Has Rodgers and Stafford, but starting Mike Davis, Tony Pollard weekly... he refuses to trade.  I offered something stupid like Henderson, Burrow and Emmanuel Sanders for his Diggs and Stafford.  A huge overpay in my opinion, but I am streaming QB's - literally dropping a QB every week and grabbing a new one (as is another leaguemate, which makes the streaming of QB's more difficult).  Refused it.  

Diggs has a great game this week and now it is almost certainly not going to happen.  

It was funny watching guys in my league take these QB's.  I would look at the remaining picks and think - he has to go |x position| here and then he would take a RB.  I always try to read the room, needs and see what I can get away with but people are unpredictable sometimes. 

Users who are viewing this thread