What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

George Costanza's "We're living in a society" nominations thread (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
Seinfeld fans will know that George shouted this line when he felt he was being wronged by a stranger in public.  This thread will serve to nominate people who have wronged us in public for the "We're living in a society" award.  Perhaps if we get enough good nominations we'll vote on a winner.

My nomination goes to "I'm gonna play music on my phone in the gym" guy.  I can't wrap my brain around how someone can be oblivious to how obnoxious and selfish this is.  Should we all just have competing songs blasting in the gym?  "WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!"    

Nothing worse than cruising on a 50 MPH road and quickly approaching a driver up ahead that is waiting to turn right onto the same road who decides to pull out in front of you quickly causing you to hit the brakes and slow down to match their slowly accelerating speed and then you look in the rear view and it's clear to see not a single car was behind you for a mile. Just wait the extra 5 seconds for me go by!!!

Nothing worse than cruising on a 50 MPH road and quickly approaching a driver up ahead that is waiting to turn right onto the same road who decides to pull out in front of you quickly causing you to hit the brakes and slow down to match their slowly accelerating speed and then you look in the rear view and it's clear to see not a single car was behind you for a mile. Just wait the extra 5 seconds for me go by!!!

One of my biggest pet peeves.  

"We're living in a society!".

I think every post with a nomination needs to end with "We're living in a society!"

People on a bike path or side walk staring at their phones oblivious to their surroundings.  WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!

Person on a call in the supermarket on speakerphone.  WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!
My wife and I got in a pretty big fight over this. We were inline for something, she starts talking on her phone (not speaker), I told her go take your call over there....she's gets mad, storms off, comes back mad, I told her everyone in line didn't want to hear your conversation, including me. That was a long night.

My wife does not live in a society

My biggest "WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!!!!" trigger is when someone just straight up takes up 2 parking spaces. I'm not talking about just barely going over the line. I'm talking about when someone is like 2/3 in one spot and 1/3 in another. That's not a "whoops", that's an F you to anyone else who might need that spot.

Leaving your shopping cart randomly in the parking lot when you are within walking distance from an obvious cart return thingy. We’re living in a society, a-holes!

This is probably # 2 for me.

Its even worse when they actually take the time to bring the cart to the return but then put it in the wrong row (my grocery store has big carts and little mini carts). Because then it stops everyone after them from subsequently stacking carts, resulting in total anarchy and carts just spilling out everywhere.

My biggest "WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!!!!" trigger is when someone just straight up takes up 2 parking spaces. I'm not talking about just barely going over the line. I'm talking about when someone is like 2/3 in one spot and 1/3 in another. That's not a "whoops", that's an F you to anyone else who might need that spot.
Back when I had my pos car, if I could squeeze in I would.

At last week's Boston marathon ("look at me ...!"), where so many experienced runners just drop their cups in the middle of the crowded street after a quick drink at each aid station rather than a simple toss off to the side.  It's like dancing through a slippery field of cups for a hundred yards.  (Similarly, years ago at the Big Sur marathon where runners carelessly toss cups and empty gels all along the course, littering the unparalleled beauty of the Pacific Coast Highway.)

We're living in a society!!

Seinfeld fans will know that George shouted this line when he felt he was being wronged by a stranger in public.  This thread will serve to nominate people who have wronged us in public for the "We're living in a society" award.  Perhaps if we get enough good nominations we'll vote on a winner.

My nomination goes to "I'm gonna play music on my phone in the gym" guy.  I can't wrap my brain around how someone can be oblivious to how obnoxious and selfish this is.  Should we all just have competing songs blasting in the gym?  "WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!"    
Do you even lift, bro?   

Not to condone this but it would also be nice if parking spaces were not made to be as narrow as automotively possible.  I park 2 blocks further for work than I should need to, because coworkers have had their vehicles damaged due to the tight spaces.

Hey, buddy, yeah, you, the guy who spent extra money to make your exhaust super-loud, yeah, you, the one with the small penis, WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY!!!!
What's funny is how slow some of them are. If you are going to be loud, at least be fast enough to take your noise elsewhere.

Hey, buddy, yeah, you, the guy who spent extra money to make your exhaust super-loud, yeah, you, the one with the small penis, WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY!!!!
Ahhhh as a guy who’s big block ‘66 Chevelle may or may not have set off an alarm or 2 in a parking lot from time to time, I apologize.   :scared:

The other night I had a group of 6 women going to dinner. I walked up the the hostess stand and stood behind a guy already waiting. Another lady came in behind me and instead of waiting, goes up to the cashier and says “do you have a table for 5?” Then they seat her ahead of me and the guy ahead of me. We had to wait 30 minutes for a table. 
We live in a society!!!!!

The other night I had a group of 6 women going to dinner. I walked up the the hostess stand and stood behind a guy already waiting. Another lady came in behind me and instead of waiting, goes up to the cashier and says “do you have a table for 5?” Then they seat her ahead of me and the guy ahead of me. We had to wait 30 minutes for a table. 
Was it Mr. Cohen?  He’s always there.

Seinfeld 4!

Last edited by a moderator:

wow - you all have amazing restraint ...not only is that lady an #####, it's also the responsibility of the person seating people.  

I could not have let that go. 

That's on me babe. 

Leaving your shopping cart randomly in the parking lot when you are within walking distance from an obvious cart return thingy. We’re living in a society, a-holes!
Speaking of shopping carts, I'll give an honorable mention to "I'll just leave my cart in the center of the aisle so no one can get around me" lady.  

People need to wake tf up and consider there are others around them.  WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to condone this but it would also be nice if parking spaces were not made to be as narrow as automotively possible.  I park 2 blocks further for work than I should need to, because coworkers have had their vehicles damaged due to the tight spaces.
Costco does it right.  It's like they know that we're living in a society.

When I'm entering a store and some clowns are just standing there talking in the middle of the entrance taking up space, oblivious to the fact they're in the middle of an entryway. MOVE!

My contribution is - the people who rush into an opening elevator before anyone inside has had a chance to exit.
The subway too, at least here in NYC.  Also when they just stand in front of the doors and don't move to let people out when they open.

It doesn’t help that half the population drives a ginormous truck or SUV.

Which by the way, those behemoths aren’t exactly sports cars. So please refrain from weaving through traffic, tailgating, etc., and slow the #### down. WE’RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!

When I'm entering a store and some clowns are just standing there talking in the middle of the entrance taking up space, oblivious to the fact they're in the middle of an entryway. MOVE!
The worst is when you're at an airport or amusement park and a group of people decide to stand in the middle to discuss whatever (where they are going, what to eat, last night's episode of Grey's Anatomy, etc.). 

Is it really that difficult to just group together on the side? Why block the middle? Don't make me give you the Derrick Henry stiff arm.

Users who are viewing this thread