What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs Of 1978 #1. Werewolves of London (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Continuing my highly objective, completely narcissistic attempt to rank the music  of the 1970s…

1978: disco at its height. Post punk and New Wave just beginning to take off. Hard rock still going strong. And, most of all, a whole lot of cheesy music. It’s a good thing I love cheesy music. 

100. “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers” Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand 

99. “Old Time Rock n Roll” Bob Seger 

98. “Thank You For Being a Friend” Andrew Gold

97. “Copacabana” Barry Manilow 

96. “Good Times Roll” The Cars 

95. “Johnny Strikes Up the Band” Warren Zevon 

94. “Love Is Like Oxygen” Sweet 

93. “Y.M.C.A.” Village People 

92. “Hold the Line” Toto 

91. “Shattered” The Rolling Stones 

90. “I Need to Know” Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 

89. “Misfits” The Kinks 

88. “Still the Same” Bob Seger 

87. “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” Rod Stewart 

86. “Right Down the Line” Gerry Rafferty 

85. “With a Little Luck” Wings 

84. “Prove It All Night” Bruce Springsteen 

83. “I Need a Lover” Johnny Cougar 

82. “Roll With the Changes” REO Speedwagon 

81. “Hot Child in the City” Nick Gilder 

80. “Double Vision” Foreigner 

79. “Big Shot” Billy Joel 

78. “A Rock ‘n Roll Fantasy” The Kinks 

77. “The Promised Land” Bruce Springsteen 

76. “You’re the One That I Want” John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John 

75. “Jamie’s Cryin’” Van Halen 

74. “Hanging On the Telephone” Blondie 

73. “Hong Kong Garden” Siouxsie and the Banshees 

72. “Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)” Styx

71. “Wheel In the Sky” Journey 

70. “Excitable Boy” Warren Zevon 

69. “The Gambler” Kenny Rogers

68. “Imaginary Lover” Atlanta Rhythm Section 

67. “Eruption” Van Halen 

66. “Hollywood Nights” Bob Seger 

65. “Can’t Stand Losing You” The Police 

64. “Racing In the Street” Bruce Springsteen 

63. “Sunday Girl” Blondie 

62. “Three Times A Lady” Commodores

61. “MacArthur Park” Donna Summer 

60. “Radio Radio” Elvis Costello & The Attractions 

59. “Count On Me” Jefferson Starship 

58. “Follow You, Follow Me” Genesis 

57. “Fire” The Pointer Sisters 

56. “Time for Me to Fly” REO Speedwagon 

55. “Crazy Love” Poco 

54. “Tenderness On the Block” Warren Zevon 

53. “One Nation Under A Groove” Funkadelic 

52. “Badlands” Bruce Springsteen 

51. “Rat Trap” The Boomtown Rats

50. “Beast of Burden” The Rolling Stones 

49. “Summer Nights” John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John 

48. “Straight On” Heart 

47. “Listen to Her Heart” Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 

46. “Darkness On the Edge of Town” Bruce Springsteen 

45. “Ready Steady Go” Generation X 

44. “Killing An Arab” The Cure 

43. “So Lonely” The Police 

42. “Tommy Gun” The Clash 

41. “Promises” Eric Clapton 

40. “My Life” Billy Joel 

39. “Runnin’ With the Devil” Van Halen 

38. “Baker Street” Gerry Rafferty 

37. “Hot Blooded” Foreigner

36. “Fat Bottomed Girls” Queen 

35. “Lotta Love” Nicolette Larson 

34. “Take Me to the River” Talking Heads 

33. “Renegade” Styx 

32. “Dog & Butterfly” Heart 

31. “Kiss You All Over” Exile 

30. “Don’t Look Back” Boston 

29. “Bye Bye Love” The Cars 

28. “Who Are You” The Who 

27. “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding” Elvis Costello 

26. “(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais” The Clash 

25. “My Best Friend’s Girl” The Cars 

24. “Dreams I’ll Never See” Molly Hatchet 

23. “One Way Or Another” Blondie 

22. “Roxanne” The Police 

21. “Is She Really Going Out With Him” Joe Jackson 

20. “Pump It Up” Elvis Costello

19. “Life’s Been Good” Joe Walsh 

18. “Because the Night” Patti Smith Group 

17. “Miss You” The Rolling Stones 

16. “Le Freak” Chic 

15. “I Wanna Be Sedated” The Ramones 

14. “Rock Lobster” The B-52s

13. “Teenage Kicks” The Undertones 

12. “Lights” Journey 

11. “I Will Survive” Gloria Gaynor 

10. “Surrender” Cheap Trick 

9. “This Year’s Girl” Elvis Costello 

8. “Sultans of Swing” Dire Straits 

7. “Don’t Stop Me Now” Queen 

6. “Just What I Needed” The Cars

5. “Ever Fallen In Love” Buzzcocks  

4. “What A Fool Believes” The Doobie Brothers 

3. “September” Earth, Wind & Fire 

2. “Heart of Glass” Blondie 

1. “Werewolves of London” Warren Zevon 

Last edited by a moderator:
100. Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers” (from You Don’t Bring Me Flowers)

https://youtu.be/nXZ6o8GHKE4

Did I mention narcissism in the OP? These two can’t get enough of themselves, especially her, and the result is quite possibly the hammiest duet of all time. The lyrics, by Alan and Marilyn Bergman (who also wrote “The Way We Were” and “It Might Be You” from Tootsie) are delightfully insipid: I learned how to laugh and I learned how to cry. Somehow it all works for me though. The guiltiest of pleasures. 

99. Bob Seger “Old Time Rock n Roll” (from A Stranger In Town

https://youtu.be/W1LsRShUPtY

So a lot of folks consider this an all time classic: after all it was written by the legendary George Jackson, it uses the Muscle Shoals rhythm section, it’s featured in one of the most iconic movie scenes ever, and it’s reportedly Seger’s favorite song. 
But despite all that I find it kind of boring. I don’t hate it (I don’t hate any song on this list, obviously). It’s fine, it’s a good rock song, the piano playing is excellent…but it doesn’t really do anything or go anywhere. 

So a lot of folks consider this an all time classic: after all it was written by the legendary George Jackson, it uses the Muscle Shoals rhythm section, it’s featured in one of the most iconic movie scenes ever, and it’s reportedly Seger’s favorite song. 
But despite all that I find it kind of boring. I don’t hate it (I don’t hate any song on this list, obviously). It’s fine, it’s a good rock song, the piano playing is excellent…but it doesn’t really do anything or go anywhere. 
Instant skip for me.   I like lots of Seger songs but this is not one of them.  I get it being on the list though. It's still played (far too often)

Instant skip for me.   I like lots of Seger songs but this is not one of them.  I get it being on the list though. It's still played (far too often)
Agreed.  Big fan of most of Seger's work but this song is like nails on the chalkboard for me.  I understand it's popular and deserves to be on this list but love that Tim put it at the bottom.  

It's a clunker.

Like the others who responded, I love Bob Seger but don't like that song. I mean - that's too harsh. I just think its eh.

It’s my least favorite Seger song and I always thought that was a really unpopular opinion until today.  :hifive:

98. Andrew Gold “Thank You For Being a Friend” (from All This and Heaven Too”)

https://youtu.be/voNEgCKzves

Like the last song, here is a tune that became more famous when it was used in another medium- in this case as the theme song for a long running TV show. But the original version by Andrew Gold is a pretty catchy, though not spectacular, AM radio pop song. 

Love Bob Seger, but this song to me is overplayed, bad wedding reception music..  i picture fat bridesmaids and drunkles on the fake wood dance floor at the Holiday Inn ballroom..

97. Barry Manilow “Copacabana” (from Even Now)

https://youtu.be/toV8Lb9h0Vs

Did I mention that this list was going to have some very cheesy songs on it? This one might be  top of that class. The melody is an earwig; once heard it can’t be unheard. And yet it’s a great melody. And the story is so dramatic: At the Copa…don’t fall in love! 

1. Kudos to any of you who watches the entire video I linked. It’s a special kind of horrifying. 

2. Special shout-out to the punk rock band The Vandals, who a few years later performed one of the most utterly tasteless, yet totally hilarious parodies of all time, “Dachau Cabana”: 

His name was Helmut, he wore a Brown Shirt, but that was 40 years ago, when the Nazis ran the show! 

97. Barry Manilow “Copacabana” (from Even Now)

https://youtu.be/toV8Lb9h0Vs

Did I mention that this list was going to have some very cheesy songs on it? This one might be  top of that class. The melody is an earwig; once heard it can’t be unheard. And yet it’s a great melody. And the story is so dramatic: At the Copa…don’t fall in love! 

1. Kudos to any of you who watches the entire video I linked. It’s a special kind of horrifying. 

2. Special shout-out to the punk rock band The Vandals, who a few years later performed one of the most utterly tasteless, yet totally hilarious parodies of all time, “Dachau Cabana”: 

His name was Helmut, he wore a Brown Shirt, but that was 40 years ago, when the Nazis ran the show! 
I liked a lot of Manilow's first hits - Mandy, Weekend In New England, etc. 

Then Copacabana came out and it all seemed to turn to cheese.  :X   :bag:

I still haven't gotten around to the next-100 from 1969 because I'm having computer issues.

Ordered a new one and it should be in next week so...

No longer care enough to count the number of Peter Gabriel, PFunk, Tom Waits & Television songs will sit on the sidelines so Lola can be a showgirl and Golden Girls can have a theme song.
A strumpet from the frozen tundra better pay her holiday greetings or there will be riots in here!

timschochet said:
96. The Cars “Good Times Roll” (from The Cars)

https://youtu.be/Zj-b3fWrY3w

Love the intro on the video: “Ladies and gentlemen, recording artists from Boston…THE CAHHS!” 
This is one of the few songs Ric Ocasik chose to sing on the debut album. He wrote all of them, but didn’t take the vocals. Great sound quality on all of this music. 
Now we're talking. 

wikkidpissah said:
No longer care enough to count the number of Peter Gabriel, PFunk, Tom Waits & Television songs will sit on the sidelines so Lola can be a showgirl and Golden Girls can have a theme song.
Seems like you've fallen in love with some songs you shouldn't have fallen in love with.

wikkidpissah said:
Yeah no offense tim but this list is dreadful.

timschochet said:
98. Andrew Gold “Thank You For Being a Friend” (from All This and Heaven Too”)

https://youtu.be/voNEgCKzves

Like the last song, here is a tune that became more famous when it was used in another medium- in this case as the theme song for a long running TV show. But the original version by Andrew Gold is a pretty catchy, though not spectacular, AM radio pop song. 
awful

95. Warren Zevon “Johnny Strikes Up the Band” (from Excitable Boy)

https://youtu.be/kr0zWFKz4QE

Warren Zevon’s second album Excitable Boy was one the great masterpieces of 1978 (or any other year for that matter), filled with one classic tune after another. “Johnny Strikes Up the Band” is one of Zevon’s best ever rockers. 
Odd, that song popped into my head a few days ago and I can't get it out.

Love this tune.

95. Warren Zevon “Johnny Strikes Up the Band” (from Excitable Boy)

https://youtu.be/kr0zWFKz4QE

Warren Zevon’s second album Excitable Boy was one the great masterpieces of 1978 (or any other year for that matter), filled with one classic tune after another. “Johnny Strikes Up the Band” is one of Zevon’s best ever rockers. 

I was hoping you'd include some Zevon.  My favorite of all-time.

timschochet said:
96. The Cars “Good Times Roll” (from The Cars)

https://youtu.be/Zj-b3fWrY3w

Love the intro on the video: “Ladies and gentlemen, recording artists from Boston…THE CAHHS!” 
This is one of the few songs Ric Ocasik chose to sing on the debut album. He wrote all of them, but didn’t take the vocals. Great sound quality on all of this music. 
:nerd:

there are 9 songs on the album and Ocasek sings lead on 5 of them 

Side 2  is one of my favorite album sides of any album

Love Bob Seger, but this song to me is overplayed, bad wedding reception music..  i picture fat bridesmaids and drunkles on the fake wood dance floor at the Holiday Inn ballroom..

I never understood why this was a staple at wedding receptions.  It usually cleared the dance floor except that one older couple that acted like this song was the only reason they attended the wedding.

I never understood why this was a staple at wedding receptions.  It usually cleared the dance floor except that one older couple that acted like this song was the only reason they attended the wedding.
 Played this at weddings for years.  It had to be played early in the reception.    

94. Sweet “Love Is Like Oxygen” (from Level Headed

https://youtu.be/zRgWvvkSvfk

Throughout the 1970s, Sweet had one great single after another, including this one, but none of their albums are anything special. I’ve tried. Since I’m a fan of their singles I figured that surely there are some hidden gems out there, forgotten catchy tunes that I would enjoy as well and could add to one of my playlists: There aren’t. At least I haven’t heard it: Each of the albums I’ve sampled, including this one, contains that one memorable song- and then blah. 

Users who are viewing this thread