What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Facebook - New Name Is Meta (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/19/22735612/facebook-change-company-name-metaverse

Facebook is planning to rebrand the company with a new name

Facebook is planning to change its company name next week to reflect its focus on building the metaverse, according to a source with direct knowledge of the matter.

As if that will somehow erase the negative image they currently have of allowing misinformation and false news on the website.

People are having a lot fun on Twitter coming up with suggested new names like Fakebook, Faceplant, Facepalm and House of Bad Memes ((my favorite is The Social Media Network Formerly Known as Facebook).

And Fakebook is trending:   

https://twitter.com/search?q=Fakebook&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Anyone think the name has become so toxic that they needed a rebranding? 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: JAA
All for the rebranding.  Should be something meaningful and represents what Facebook is all about.  Something that speaks to the future and is forward looking.   Something simple, clean and elegant.  My team and I have put a lot of thought into this and feel we’ve come up with something that hits all the marks, it completely encompasses what Facebook stands for…..

Cancer

As if that will somehow erase the negative image they currently have of allowing misinformation and false news on the website.

People are having a lot fun on Twitter coming up with suggested new names like Fakebook, Faceplant, Facepalm and House of Bad Memes ((my favorite is The Social Media Network Formerly Known as Facebook).

Name?  no.   Mostly their's and the rest of SM's business model.   Changing the name is silly.  

Don`t know anyone under 40 and mostly 50 who uses FB on a regular basis.  

I assume that the app named Facebook will still continue to be called Facebook. This is just the company name changing and not the product. Though it does sound like they are getting rid of the Occulus brand in favour of Meta.

Soooooo thats what this is going to be part of. He is trying to get a foothold in the VR worlds. 

Im looking for the video of him talking about the new VR goggles but I cant find it now. It is Zuckerberg with an Asian woman talking about the goggles. The video they show was basically mimicking reality albeit, poorly. I mean thats not really new. Zuckerberg having the keys to it all is whats scary.

If any of you have seen Ready Player One, Zuckerberg is basically James Halliday and the Meta is the Oasis. 

I saw him in an ad for the next VR goggles - He looks like Data from Star Trek. Does he cut his bangs in the morning left handed? WTF?
Zuckerberg believes that making any meaningless decisions is a waste of energy. It's the same reason why he wears the same shirt everyday. Cutting his bangs left-handed every morning is probably just his routine to eliminate all decision making.

This is a little old, but assume its still accurate:

“I really want to clear my life to make it so that I have to make as few decisions as possible about anything except how to best serve this community. There’s actually a bunch of psychology theory that even making small decisions, around what you wear or what you eat for breakfast or things like that, they kind of make you tired and consume your energy. My view is I’m in this really lucky position where I get to wake up every day and help serve more than 1 billion people, and I feel like I’m not doing my job if I spend any of my energy on things that are silly or frivolous about my life, so that way I can dedicate all of my energy towards just building the best products and services and helping us reach our goal and achieve this mission of helping to connect everyone in the world and giving them the ability to stay connected with the people that they love and care about. So, that’s what I care about. Even though it sounds silly that that’s my reason for wearing a grey t-shirt every day, it is true.”

https://careers.workopolis.com/advice/the-reason-mark-zuckerberg-wears-the-same-shirt-every-day/

Users who are viewing this thread