What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alec Baldwin killed a woman on set with prop gun (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
The Sante Fe County sheriff’s office confirms that “two individuals were shot on the set of Rust. Halyna Hutchins, 42, director of photography and Joel Souza, 48, director, were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin, 68, producer and actor.”

“Ms. Hutchins was transported, via helicopter, to University of New Mexico Hospital where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel. Mr. Souza was transported by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical center where he is undergoing treatment for his injuries.”

Heard this earlier today but they didn't identify Alec as the shooter, but I somehow feared he was. 

Awful. Awful. Feel terrible for her family. 

The director of photography in an Alec Baldwin movie was killed and the film’s director was injured on Thursday afternoon when the actor fired a prop firearm on the set of a movie in New Mexico, the authorities said.

Halyna Hutchins, 42, was killed and Joel Souza, 48, was injured around 1:50 p.m. on the set of “Rust,” a Western being filmed in Santa Fe County, Juan Rios, a spokesman for the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, said. The circumstances of the shooting are under investigation.

Mr. Rios said the shooting at Bonanza Creek Ranch happened in the middle of a scene that was either being rehearsed or filmed. He said the Sheriff’s Office was interviewing people on the set to determine how the two had been shot.

“We’re trying to determine right now how and what type of projectile was used in the firearm,” he said.

per NYT

Brandon Lee had a similar thing.  Basically something lodged in the gun from prior use and wasn't cleaned out and the blank they fired cleaned it out.  

You are supposed to check the barrels for obstruction. 

Speculation at this point.  I also don't get how he shot two people in the above scenario 

Prop guns firing blanks isn't even really a thing anymore. There are very few scenarios where any actor on set should be handling anything with gunpowder in it, "blank" or not. There have been enough occurrences of accidents in these situations. Nowadays it's literally cheaper to add in exactly the muzzleflash you want with VFX than use actual blanks. 

Deadline previously heard from sources that a principal castmember cocked a gun during a rehearsal, unaware that there were live rounds in it, hitting two people, a man and a woman. The man was hit in the shoulder, while the woman was airlifted to the hospital for stomach surgery.

Prop guns firing blanks isn't even really a thing anymore. There are very few scenarios where any actor on set should be handling anything with gunpowder in it, "blank" or not. There have been enough occurrences of accidents in these situations. 

In 1984actor Jon-Erik Hexum died from a self-inflicted gunshot to his temple on the set of the television series Cover Up. He believed the blanks in the prop gun were harmless.

I don’t know about prop guns these days, but back then they ejected plastic wadding that could cause serious injury from point-blank range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

I never really understood how Brandon Lee was killed.  This is similar.  And TWO people are shot?  WTF???

The breakdown on Lee’s Wikipedia page is a good summation:

In the scene preceding the fatal scene, the gun was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking bullets. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charge, the energy from the fired primer was enough to push the bullet into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and primer, but no bullet, allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. When the blank round was fired, the bullet lodged in the barrel was propelled forward with almost the same force as if the round were live, and it struck Lee in the abdomen.

At least 3 people must have screwed up for this to happen on any decently run set 
This is from Twitter, so obviously treat it with it's due skepticism, but word is going out that the prop master wasn't on set at the time of the shooting.  

Also making the rounds is multiple union camera members quit earlier this week due to what they said was "lack of proper gun safety".

If either one, or god forbid both, of those is true......  wow.

I feel absolutely horrible for those who were injured or killed in this stunning display of ineptitude. Tragic and completely avoidable with even a modicum of safety protocol or firearms knowledge.

The irony is not lost on me that a clearly ignorant hack that has recently made a living attacking 2nd amendment rights has now shot and injured/killed more people than the dozens and dozens of responsible firearms owners I interact with regularly (outside line of duty). I can only imagine he will somehow turn his own ####-up into fuel to further his hypocrisy-riddled agenda. 

So tragic, on so so many levels :(  

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awful story.  You have to feel just awful for the families and friends of both the lady who was killed and the director. Just awful. 

I feel absolutely horrible for those who were injured or killed in this stunning display of ineptitude. Tragic and completely avoidable with even a modicum of safety protocol or firearms knowledge.

The irony is not lost on me that a clearly ignorant hack that has recently made a living attacking 2nd amendment rights has now shot and injured/killed more people than the dozens and dozens of responsible firearms owners I interact with regularly (outside line of duty). I can only imagine he will somehow turn his own ####-up into fuel to further his hypocrisy-riddled agenda. 

When my dad was growing up, his dad made him unload his weapon in a ditch.  When asked why, grandpa said that dad needed to learn how to handle a shotgun with respect.  Once he was allowed to empty it beside grandpa, it discharged.  Back to the ditch dad went.

When I was hunting, dad would tell me, "If you ever point a gun - loaded or unloaded - at me, I will drop you."  I learned gun safety under the threat of my dad, and then after I killed a deer, I saw for myself what guns can do.

Agreed, especially the bolded.

To the best of my knowledge Alec Baldwin has never attacked 2nd Amendment rights. He has spoken out in favor of universal background checks and banning certain types of firearms. But none of that would be a violation of the Second Amendment. 

When my dad was growing up, his dad made him unload his weapon in a ditch.  When asked why, grandpa said that dad needed to learn how to handle a shotgun with respect.  Once he was allowed to empty it beside grandpa, it discharged.  Back to the ditch dad went.

When I was hunting, dad would tell me, "If you ever point a gun - loaded or unloaded - at me, I will drop you."  I learned gun safety under the threat of my dad, and then after I killed a deer, I saw for myself what guns can do.

Had an accidental discharge once on a old 257 bob, literally moments before I wasn't completely clear where the barrel was pointing, looked and moved instead of into, around the danger zone.  Damn thing went off, with nobody touching it.  Can't say for sure if it would have killed me, but my late grandpa teaching me to keep a ####### close eye on any loaded gun or face the back of his hand sure made my day suck a lot less.  

It isn't the actor's responsibility to inspect a prop.

Terrible.   Why was he aiming and shooting the gun at 2 different people who were not actors though? 

Last edited by a moderator:
He was aiming at the camera. It was from the “victim / opponent” perspective in the movie. This is why the camerawoman was killed 
This is a John Wick still / promo, but it's the same concept.  Imagine shooting this scene.  The director wants it to be as real and gritty as possible and so calls for blanks so that a muzzle discharge / action is seen.  Something went terribly wrong unfortunately

https://c4.wallpaperflare.com/wallpaper/130/5/310/movie-john-wick-chapter-2-gun-john-wick-wallpaper-preview.jpg

He was aiming at the camera. It was from the “victim / opponent” perspective in the movie. This is why the camerawoman was killed 
We have a sense why two people were hurt, yet? That's the part I don't get unless he got off a couple wild shots without realizing something had gone wrong.

To the best of my knowledge Alec Baldwin has never attacked 2nd Amendment rights. He has spoken out in favor of universal background checks and banning certain types of firearms. But none of that would be a violation of the Second Amendment. 
So he didn't tweet that we need to rethink the second amendment? He hasn't mocked Gun rights issues on SNL?

Tip of the iceberg. He's been an vocal anti-gun guy, often using ridiculous hyperbolic language and scenarios. Total ####### hypocrite.

Shoo on back to the Politics forum, Tim. You're literally always wrong on this stuff.

So he didn't tweet that we need to rethink the second amendment? He hasn't mocked Gun rights issues on SNL?

Tip of the iceberg. He's been an vocal anti-gun guy, often using ridiculous hyperbolic language and scenarios. Total ####### hypocrite.

Shoo on back to the Politics forum, Tim. You're literally always wrong on this stuff.
Lol I’m not going to get into an argument with you on this. I just think it’s important to be accurate (though I wasn’t aware of the tweet you’re referring to.) 

Leeroy is spot on here. Short of smuggling a real gun onto the set -- and short of some contrived, egregious action -- an actor is completely blameless in the event of a firearm discharge during rehearsal or filming. If this was a prop gun gone wrong, the armorer will bear all of the responsibility and then some more besides.

Horrible post.  Shooting a prop gun on a movie set makes him hypocritical?  I don't know if you realize this, but movies are pretend.

If a liberal actor plays a conservative politician, it doesn't make him hypocritical.

Yes it is. The armorer is supposed to inspect the gun before each take, hand it to the actor, and then the actor inspects it again. Barrel and chamber. In full view of all crew. Light and pencil down the barrel. And literally between every take. After the shot is done, the armorer takes back the gun and puts it in a safe.

At least, that's the industry standard. Who knows what was going on here. If they weren't following industry safety standards, the liability is going to be massive. 

Yes it is. The armorer is supposed to inspect the gun before each take, hand it to the actor, and then the actor inspects it again. Barrel and chamber. In full view of all crew. Light and pencil down the barrel. And literally between every take. After the shot is done, the armorer takes back the gun and puts it in a safe.

Different people who work on film sets, over on different forums, are disputing the bolded strenuously. If my understanding is correct, you yourself work in the field (assuming not an armorer or prop-master, though). What have you seen?

Horrible post.  Shooting a prop gun on a movie set makes him hypocritical?  I don't know if you realize this, but movies are pretend.

If a liberal actor plays a conservative politician, it doesn't make him hypocritical.

So preaching against something, then profiting from it's use isn't hypocritical? 

That's a new take. 

Some weird takes.

Prop person, or whoever was the weapons person on set - got to be a group assigned specifically to weapons in prop / art department, right? - has to be wrecked. Terrible mistake that got someone  killed.

Baldwin unless he was doing something reckless which it doesn’t sound like just shot and killed a person at close range. 

Awful story. 

Different people who work on film sets, over on different forums, are disputing the bolded strenuously. If my understanding is correct, you yourself work in the field (assuming not an armorer or prop-master, though). What have you seen?
What I've seen in my limited experience in this area is consistent with what I posted. But it was rare for me to be on set the same days firearms were in use. 

This isn't directed at anyone in this thread, but can we please a) wait until we know all the facts about what happened, and b) make judgments about this incident based on those facts rather than our opinions of Baldwin or anyone else? All the Twidiots saying, "bALdWiN sHouLd bE pROsEcUteD foR mANsLAuGhTErRRRRRRR!!!!" are revealing far more about themselves than about Baldwin.

I agree with some of Baldwin's politics. I think he's a talented actor. It sounds like on a personal level he's a real jackhole. But none of this is remotely relevant to what happened yesterday in New Mexico. 

This isn't directed at anyone in this thread, but can we please a) wait until we know all the facts about what happened, and b) make judgments about this incident based on those facts rather than our opinions of Baldwin or anyone else? All the Twidiots saying, "bALdWiN sHouLd bE pROsEcUteD foR mANsLAuGhTErRRRRRRR!!!!" are revealing far more about themselves than about Baldwin.

I agree with some of Baldwin's politics. I think he's a talented actor. It sounds like on a personal level he's a real jackhole. But none of this is remotely relevant to what happened yesterday in New Mexico. 

Obviously you have never been in the police shootings thread. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread