What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

possible lengthy food, supply shortages coming to the US? Latest: start hiding Sriracha (1 Viewer)

On a scale of 1-10 how concerned are you about a food/supply shortage?

• 1-Not concerned at all. Business as usual.

Votes: 48 23.1%

Votes: 35 16.8%

Votes: 30 14.4%

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • 5-Mildly concerned, but not panicking. Stocking up on some non-perishable essentials.

Votes: 45 21.6%

Votes: 8 3.8%

Votes: 9 4.3%

Votes: 4 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-Stocking up on everything.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Since the great TP run, there's been a handful of products that haven't been reliably available that my household uses frequently. When those products are available I stock up. Prepandemic I would shop for what we needed in the coming week or so. I now keep the house stocked and shop for what we have used. Readily available goods are stocked for two weeks, the supply chain problem goods are stocked for at least a month's worth.

I’m guessing people hoarding will cause shortages due to articles like this. 

I hear you, but there are a lot of little things happening all at once. Ships backing up and unable to unload. Droughts causing less crop yields. Pandemic related shortages/interruptions due to multiple reasons. Computer chip shortages. Etc. Etc. One or two of these things might not be a problem on its own, but when you stack them all together.... 

Since the great TP run, there's been a handful of products that haven't been reliably available that my household uses frequently. When those products are available I stock up. Prepandemic I would shop for what we needed in the coming week or so. I now keep the house stocked and shop for what we have used. Readily available goods are stocked for two weeks, the supply chain problem goods are stocked for at least a month's worth.
Yup. We built a pantry last year and its loaded with canned good and mason jars from stuff my wife grew over the summer. We've considered a chicken coop but neither of us want to deal with live chickens. That might change. 

This is all very nostalgic for me and I welcome the 1970s again but imagine the overwhelming majority of people are going to lose their ####. 

I’m guessing people hoarding will cause shortages due to articles like this. 
It certainly won't help, if you are worried I'd say buy two instead of one and put it on the shelf but no reason to buy everything in the aisle. It's just me & the wife so not hard for us to stock up on some staples. Not sure how families with a couple of kids have handled this past year & a half.

I hear you, but there are a lot of little things happening all at once. Ships backing up and unable to unload. Droughts causing less crop yields. Pandemic related shortages/interruptions due to multiple reasons. Computer chip shortages. Etc. Etc. One or two of these things might not be a problem on its own, but when you stack them all together.... 
This has been going on for some time, just starting to hit Average Joe now. If we are starting to notice it now that means you have at least 6-8 weeks of it getting worse and then it won't get better, it will just become the new normal until things ease up. There are over 100 ships outside the LA port, that isn't remedying itself any time soon, even if the National Guard gets involved. Pretty much every other port has ships circling as well...except Florida for some reason. I saw an article yesterday that FL suggested the backlog in LA come through the Panama Canal and offload in FL. That would help some but freight is still going to be crazy (it already is) to move stuff around. There is a massive shortage of drivers right now as well that is part of this perfect storm.

Yup. We built a pantry last year and its loaded with canned good and mason jars from stuff my wife grew over the summer. We've considered a chicken coop but neither of us want to deal with live chickens. That might change. 

This is all very nostalgic for me and I welcome the 1970s again but imagine the overwhelming majority of people are going to lose their ####. 

My wife loaded up our pantry..but sad to say I dislike most of the stuff she hoarded.

The article doesn't touch on this deeply but one of the biggest issues is we are sending containers back to china empty instead of full of soybeans and rice.   Why is this a problem?  Because our rice and soybeans get processed in China to then turn around and come back here on another container.  

It's an issue as much as any drought is an issue, but if we actually have to cook our raw product like normal people instead of eating something out of a wrapper, we will live.  

Some interesting information but looks more like fear mongering to me.

"Empty" store shelves.  No.  Reduced options?  Sure.  

It states that Costco is limiting purchases on paper and cleaning products.  Oh really?  Welcome to April of 2020.

If there is potential for a supply shortage it's probably wise to grab a few extra items with a long shelf life.  

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it right?

87 boxes of ramen??  Twinkies?

It states that Costco is limiting purchases on paper and cleaning products.  Oh really?  Welcome to April of 2020.
agree for the most part... except for the fact that there are more chain links missing now

I'm not Mr. Doomsday over here, but it seems like this has the potential to be a real #### show. Much worse than pandemic-fueled hoarding. 

agree for the most part... except for the fact that there are more chain links missing now

I'm not Mr. Doomsday over here, but it seems like this has the potential to be a real #### show. Much worse than pandemic-fueled hoarding. 
It will be because we blow everything out of proportion. You saw what happened in MAR-APR-MAY last year when the shelves were bare. They will be again. Be prepared for it, no reason to hoard but nothing wrong with stocking your pantry when you can. Especially with the holidays coming up, Karen is gonna freak when she can't get her ham/turkey for the family dinner because she waits until the week before rather than grabbing one now while they're in stock and throwing it in the freezer.

Some of you are saying it will only happen because of hoarders and fear mongering.  Well, if it happens it happens.  Should you not prepare because you think the reason is silly?

Side note, I am not stocking up.  I will just rob my neighbors if I am starving

Last edited by a moderator:
The article says you are one of the major problems. You grow now!

Check your crisper!!    

More than 650 people have been sickened by a salmonella outbreak linked to onions imported from Mexico, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

Across 37 states, 652 people have been reported sick, with 129 of them hospitalized. The full number of people affected is likely much higher, the CDC said, as many people recover from salmonella without being treated or tested for it.

The red, white and yellow onions were imported from Chihuahua, Mexico, and distributed by ProSource, and any onions labeled as being from Chihuahua, distributed by ProSource, or that don’t have a label should not be eaten and should be thrown away, the CDC said. Any surfaces or containers that may have touched the onions should also be washed thoroughly.

Check your crisper!!    

More than 650 people have been sickened by a salmonella outbreak linked to onions imported from Mexico, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

Across 37 states, 652 people have been reported sick, with 129 of them hospitalized. The full number of people affected is likely much higher, the CDC said, as many people recover from salmonella without being treated or tested for it.

The red, white and yellow onions were imported from Chihuahua, Mexico, and distributed by ProSource, and any onions labeled as being from Chihuahua, distributed by ProSource, or that don’t have a label should not be eaten and should be thrown away, the CDC said. Any surfaces or containers that may have touched the onions should also be washed thoroughly.
I wasn't arguing the Mexican onion thing. The article said a lot of wheat, naming you specifically, weren't growing well because of the drought.

Some of you are saying it will only happen because of hoarders and fear mongering.  Well, if it happens it happens.  Should you not prepare because you think the reason is silly?

Side note, I am not stocking up.  I will just rob my neighbors if I am starving

And that is the mentality that leads to the hoarding.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  It's only going happen because people are going overboard but I should go overboard because others are going overboard so then it happens.  Ugh.

Voted 2 - let the great American diet begin.  We could use it.

Joking aside, this is what happens when JIT inventory, and profit margins over every other consideration, get taken to their logical conclusions.  Works great when the ripples in the water are relatively small.

The article doesn't touch on this deeply but one of the biggest issues is we are sending containers back to china empty instead of full of soybeans and rice.   Why is this a problem?  Because our rice and soybeans get processed in China to then turn around and come back here on another container.  

This thread from a logistics guy on Twitter is interesting.  The empty container problem is exacerbated by lack of storage for them near Long Beach.  The facilities that do exist are goverened by height regulations for stacking empty containers. The net result is the empties remain on their chassis and restrict the number of full containers that can be unloaded at the port. 

Wednesday, the pasta aisle was wiped out in my town . Only a few store brand boxes left , no brand names at all.  

And that is the mentality that leads to the hoarding.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  It's only going happen because people are going overboard but I should go overboard because others are going overboard so then it happens.  Ugh.
So what do ya do, starve at home and feel good about doing the right thing?

Meh. We keep 4-5 months of food on hand at all times.

Probably 2 months of "normal" eating via two freezers of meats and a robust pantry... then 2-3 months of pasta/rice/beans/tinned meats/canned veggies/dehydrated eggs/pancakes/etc.

Not hard to do and doesn't take much space. 

After that, there's always the "Memphis Black Card" (proper battle rifle) that's accepted everywhere 😂  By then it's survival of the fittest, and take what you need from those who can't stop you. 

I voted 5.  Will probably stock up with some extras next trip.  I have been meaning to but I have been time constrained my last few trips so just grabbed essentials

but I definitely have noticed reduced options and complete outages of certain items from time to time (sorry honey they’re still out of Daves Killer Bread)…mostly stuff that’s an inconvenience not to have (no frozen waffles kids can eat cereal, out of worcestershire sauce…leave it out)

I don’t really worry about not having any food, I’d be shocked if it got to a situation like that, but I can definitely see options getting more and more limited and I’m going to have to get more flexible with my meal planning and make stuff out of what we have some weeks

Absolutely. The Costco thing is ridiculous. I assume they are doing that still just to keep hoarders from emptying them out not due to a shortage.

Also, trying to scare you with 90% of it based on the chip shortage as if tractors have have blind spot monitoring. Yes, I know some of the huge farms and equipment is more modern but acting like it’s some huge impact is silly. As mentioned, there might just have to be more repairs than buy new.

That said, we know what people are like and if this story gets picked up or copied more and more, you get the self-fulfilling prophecy. 

My wife is a regular at the local farmers market and our pantry is full of mason jars of tomatoes, homemade apple sauce, and homemade strawberry jam.

We have a decent amount of canned goods and a couple weeks of frozen meat.

Went with 3 .. 
Had 1/2 a 🐖 butchered and delivered this summer, and we just got a 1/2 🐄 delivered yesterday so good with meat for quite sometime,.

I make my own wine. I have enough fermenting right now to make about 24 bottles and still have some left from last year.

We had two Gardens this year that over produced. So have a lot of Vegetables we froze and a lot of Tomatoes canned as Sauce, Salsa and Stewed Tomatoes.

Dan Lambskin said:
I voted 5.  Will probably stock up with some extras next trip.  I have been meaning to but I have been time constrained my last few trips so just grabbed essentials

but I definitely have noticed reduced options and complete outages of certain items from time to time (sorry honey they’re still out of Daves Killer Bread)…mostly stuff that’s an inconvenience not to have (no frozen waffles kids can eat cereal, out of worcestershire sauce…leave it out)

I don’t really worry about not having any food, I’d be shocked if it got to a situation like that, but I can definitely see options getting more and more limited and I’m going to have to get more flexible with my meal planning and make stuff out of what we have some weeks
The 3 hardest things to say:

1.      I was wrong

2.      I need help

3.      Worcestershire Sauce

We're through the worst of Covid (hopefully) and we got through with some disruptions of certain items. Looks like those disruptions are happening again. Still we live in a wealthy country and I'm reasonably comfortable that we will get through some hiccups. I haven't followed alot of the supply chain issues that closely but how difficult would it be to take the might of US military logistics to lend a hand and get things back on track? We can mobilize for war thousands of miles away but we can't help land and unload some container ships. We can't also assist in trucking them to destination points? Really?

We're through the worst of Covid (hopefully) and we got through with some disruptions of certain items. Looks like those disruptions are happening again. Still we live in a wealthy country and I'm reasonably comfortable that we will get through some hiccups. I haven't followed alot of the supply chain issues that closely but how difficult would it be to take the might of US military logistics to lend a hand and get things back on track? We can mobilize for war thousands of miles away but we can't help land and unload some container ships. We can't also assist in trucking them to destination points? Really?

There's a lot of NIMBY crossed with red tape surrounding this stuff to protect shipping oligarch types.  There's not a simple solution.  I mean we could stop buying fidget spinners from Chyna, but that ain't gonna happen.  

Relevant but slightly off-target. We are eating too much food, too many snacks, too sugary and too processed, and our portions are too big.  And millennials aren't helping. Less meat and dairy and smaller portion sizes would reduce the need for many food items by quite a bit. And reduce expensive health-related illnesses. But it's not gonna happen, as we're too complacent about our future health, as is most of the world. One of the down sides of globalizations is the dramatic increase in BMI.

TBH my Costco has just started  imposing limits again. We were limitless back in late spring through the summer.

Already bought 2 turkey breasts for Thanksgiving bc they were disappearing at an astounding rate. Seeing a lot of empty spaces in canned food aisle too. 

Users who are viewing this thread