What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

King Richard (1 Viewer)

Joe Mammy

Footballguy
Took this one in last night. What a great flick! Will Smith is simply amazing in his Oscar worthy role as the driving father force behind the Williams sisters' phenomenal tennis dominance.

I had a lump in my throat through most of the movie. Very, very moving.

Cinderella? You betcha!

I am always a little hesitant about docs that are produced by the family.  He has a questionable past to say the least.  Does it touch on that?
Don't know much about his "questionable past to say the least", after watching still don't. Was it that he was kind of crazy and hard on the girls? Yeah. But look at the results. Also I did enjoy the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled and read a few articles that allege that Richard was a serial cheater and deadbeat father to his previous kids.  
There were very few references to that. Movie was mostly about the very early parts of the Williams girls lives.

I googled and read a few articles that allege that Richard was a serial cheater and deadbeat father to his previous kids.  
We just watched. There was one scene between him and the wife where she touched on it (very well done scene by both of them)...otherwise not at all.

Floppinha liked it. Definitely about the dad more than the girls. I was pretty meh on it. Some Biopics suffer from having source material too obviously one dimensional...and this felt like the case here. Crazy Larry the tennis coach and of course King Richard felt like the lead voices. And even there, here's the thing- the entire world knows how this ended up. But the movie seemed more aimed at him succeeding than bothering to show any real struggle or catharsis along the way. "You did it!" No ####- we knew that going in. Maybe there wasn't any struggle and it was all about the plan succeeding at every step along the way proving the doubters wrong..which doesn't make for an even slightly interesting story along the way- imo.

I liked it quite a bit.

I already knew a lot about the true Richard 

Pretty typical for the father coach in sports, seems like

Will watch.

Just curious...Did Serena and Venus sign off on this...are they out there promoting it..

Took this one in last night. What a great flick! Will Smith is simply amazing in his Oscar worthy role as the driving father force behind the Williams sisters' phenomenal tennis dominance.

I had a lump in my throat through most of the movie. Very, very moving.

Cinderella? You betcha!

I can't watch anything involving the Williams sisters especially hearing what their dad did to WTP and how he used raced to exploit the system for his daughters poor sport behavior when they would lose. Totally lost any respect I had for Serena after her behavior on the line judge awhile back where she should've been given a good 6 month ban but I knew it wasn't gonna happen. I won't clog the thread with my disagreement or all the issues here though. Just wanted to say I don't have much respect for that family at all and hate how the media portrays them as such angels. Lets just say My one former High School teacher was a Tennis coach before going into real estate and knew someone who got them access to the Philadelphia Freedom. She heard a lot of stuff from players complaining about the sisters and the father. Sounded a lot like a lot of bullying took place by the Sisters and anyone who disagreed with anyone on their side got shunned. Venus was on our 2009 Roster. Lets just say I heard she was hard to deal with a created a lot of drama if it didn't revolve around her constantly. 

Just zero respect for that family and their behavior and it's sickening how the media has defended it for yrs. And I'm sure this movie was no different making it such a feel good story and all but that's Hollywood for ya. 

I love Will Smith and his movies being a local guy and I've met him a few times too. Just ashamed I won't be seeing one of his movies. 

Don't know much about his "questionable past to say the least", after watching still don't. Was it that he was kind of crazy and hard on the girls? Yeah. But look at the results. Also I did enjoy the movie.

Ok I know I said my piece and would leave but I'll take this further. The father exploited the system. When I believe Serena got booed at that one event early in her career the father insinuated that the crowd was being racist towards his daughter when they weren't. He's used the race card multiple times to defend their poor sportsmanship. The tournament was at Indian Wells which is in California. The Williams boycotted the tourney for 14 yrs with Richard claiming racism was involved and accusing the association of not doing a thing about it.

When Venus threw her temper tantrum toward the judge Richard accussed the judge of being biased against his daughter. For yrs he has defended any subtle behavior by the sisters. Venus also said the one judge was sexist or something.

This movie is nothing more then to try and get some respect back for their father and paint a good light for him. A lot of people know about the behavior but won't talk about it for a few different reasons. I'll let you figure out what some of those are yourself. Either way Richard isn't a great person and a lot of Tennis fans were turned off by the Sisters. I was a big tennis fan growing up to an extent and then Maria Sharapova hit the scene. I probably heard about her childhood story so much I was literals able to tell it word for word to anyone. When Maria was in her prime before her injuries and beating the Williams Sisters I was so happy. I was hoping with Maria winning and beating them convincingly they'd be humbled but every time she played them and she won there was an excuse why they lost and backhanded complementing Maria who didn't really get baited into their behavior. I honestly stopped watching awhile back. I actually really stopped watching when the association banned Sharapova for using a drug for her diabetes I believe it was. The drug had just been banned too. A lot of people called it BS since it had just been banned and the WTA had been giving Serena Exemptions of theruputic and other drug uses on stuff that was believed to be banned. 

There's also been accusations of the Sisters early on getting special treatment from the tour association. There's just a lot of negatives surrounding the Williams sisters and Richard that it makes it very hard for people to even root for them 

We just watched. There was one scene between him and the wife where she touched on it (very well done scene by both of them)...otherwise not at all.

Floppinha liked it. Definitely about the dad more than the girls. I was pretty meh on it. Some Biopics suffer from having source material too obviously one dimensional...and this felt like the case here. Crazy Larry the tennis coach and of course King Richard felt like the lead voices. And even there, here's the thing- the entire world knows how this ended up. But the movie seemed more aimed at him succeeding than bothering to show any real struggle or catharsis along the way. "You did it!" No ####- we knew that going in. Maybe there wasn't any struggle and it was all about the plan succeeding at every step along the way proving the doubters wrong..which doesn't make for an even slightly interesting story along the way- imo.

This was from my understanding a movie that was sourced from the Williams family. These are always one sided and most times won't show the negatives. Richard was Lavar Ball before we had Lavar Ball is how I'd describe him and his behavior though. The Girls haven't been much better in their behavior either. Always drama surrounding them. 

I have never been a fan of Serena Williams either. Because of her extremely poor sportsmanship......she is a tremendous talent and a legendary player. However I never liked her terrible attitude when she did not have her best or was bested by her opponent. And I always rooted against her simply because of her outright tantrums and disrespect to judges, her opponents and the etiquette of the game.

And the irony is so strong on that ridiculous commercial which seems to be on a loop every Sunday during football, with her being Wonder Women and John McEnroe with his cameo in it. I despised McEnroe....another bratty punk who displayed some of the very worst on court behavior ever on the USTA Tour. He and Serena are perfect fo each other. 

Despite all that......I enjoy Will Smith and will watch the film. But I am with you @DJackson10on the ridiculous lack of sportsmanship and lack of respect for the game itself that provided the Williams sisters (and Serena even more in particular) the life they are enjoying. And you know they do deserve it. They worked extremely hard and earned it. I am sure they came across racist situations and talk. Let’s be real. But despite all that it does not excuse the crap I would see when Serena would simply go insane on line judges, make ridiculous excuses and statements in post match press conferences after a big loss and not really giving the opponent any due credit for beating her. Just excuses. Not every match.....but man I remember some real sour #### sore loser talk from her in some big losses.

That is where I was too with her as a Tennis player. It has everything to do with losing with grace and good sportsmanship. She is a terrible loser. And that is the person who I remember more than the great champion she was. And that is a shame. Etiquette is a huge thing in Tennis (and Golf for that matter). They pissed on it sometimes at their lowest moments when they had big defeats. A total turnoff. 

I watched the movie. It was ok but seemed pretty biased.

Does anyone know if that story about him, the gun, and the shooting was true? I don't know but it seemed fishy to me. 

prosopis said:

Does anyone know if that story about him, the gun, and the shooting was true? I don't know but it seemed fishy to me. 
Didn't happen like that. But apparently he did drive by one of the kids after he had been shot and killed, with cops around. And he carried a shotgun with him.

But apparently the issues with the kids was real, as was the later protection/respect.

prosopis said:

I was curious about the scene with the coach, Sampras and Johnny Mac... which seemed hugely unlikely.

turns out it was unlikely. richard had approached the coach when the girls were younger- not bum-rushed in the middle of a lesson- and the coach (Cohen?) agreed to coach them without any coercion. a year into the coaching (and I didn't see if it he only coached Venus and not Serena- thought he actually coached both), he had Sampras come to watch them and got him to hit with Venus- she was around 10. the coach said something along the lines of- these are the best athletes I've ever seen at this age.

Todem said:
I have never been a fan of Serena Williams either. Because of her extremely poor sportsmanship......she is a tremendous talent and a legendary player. However I never liked her terrible attitude when she did not have her best or was bested by her opponent. And I always rooted against her simply because of her outright tantrums and disrespect to judges, her opponents and the etiquette of the game.

And the irony is so strong on that ridiculous commercial which seems to be on a loop every Sunday during football, with her being Wonder Women and John McEnroe with his cameo in it. I despised McEnroe....another bratty punk who displayed some of the very worst on court behavior ever on the USTA Tour. He and Serena are perfect fo each other. 

Despite all that......I enjoy Will Smith and will watch the film. But I am with you @DJackson10on the ridiculous lack of sportsmanship and lack of respect for the game itself that provided the Williams sisters (and Serena even more in particular) the life they are enjoying. And you know they do deserve it. They worked extremely hard and earned it. I am sure they came across racist situations and talk. Let’s be real. But despite all that it does not excuse the crap I would see when Serena would simply go insane on line judges, make ridiculous excuses and statements in post match press conferences after a big loss and not really giving the opponent any due credit for beating her. Just excuses. Not every match.....but man I remember some real sour #### sore loser talk from her in some big losses.

That is where I was too with her as a Tennis player. It has everything to do with losing with grace and good sportsmanship. She is a terrible loser. And that is the person who I remember more than the great champion she was. And that is a shame. Etiquette is a huge thing in Tennis (and Golf for that matter). They pissed on it sometimes at their lowest moments when they had big defeats. A total turnoff. 

Yep it was always the poor sportsmanship with me. You don't know how many times I've brought this up especially on social media and have Williams sister fans and SJW's try and accuse me of racism. Um one of my favorite players back then on the tour was James Black. It was the fact any chance they had the race card was pulled for them and yes I'mm sure they dealt with some racism and stuff like that but its like the boy who cries wolf too many times. Eventually people are just not gonna believe you anymore. 

Tennis is a sport huge on sportsmanship and stuff like that. I understand people being mad at Maria's grunting and shrieks but where was the outrage when Serena constantly did it? I just remember afte when Maria won her first title vs Serena (First against Serena) Serena just made excuses why she lost zero credit to Sharapova. It was like "really you are gonna act like that after you were convincingly beaten? It wasn't even close honey. I also remember Richard making some off the cuff comment about Sharapova that today would've made a lot of headlines but the media would've defended him on. It just sickens me that media defends people like that but then goes after others. It just shows a lot of hypocrisy and discredits you as a reporter and network. Thats why if ESPN has something on them when I'm watching the channel I quickly change it as it becomes a slobber fest over the family. 

Seriously? I mean seriously? 

Funny guy......got a chuckle out of that. You keep being you. I will do the same. I actually value sportsmanship and I guess that is why sports today are pretty poor. The “Me” generation is in full effect. 

When people can't really debate you on the actual subject they go to this It's why the first thing all these Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson Stans go to is that you are discriminating. they try to change the subject to make it about you arguing defending yourself and off the actual topic since they know they can't have a legit debate. It's easier to turn it into the person they disagree with trying to defend themselves then debating the topic at hand. 

DJackson10 said:
Yep it was always the poor sportsmanship with me. You don't know how many times I've brought this up especially on social media and have Williams sister fans and SJW's try and accuse me of racism. Um one of my favorite players back then on the tour was James Black. It was the fact any chance they had the race card was pulled for them and yes I'mm sure they dealt with some racism and stuff like that but its like the boy who cries wolf too many times. Eventually people are just not gonna believe you anymore. 

Tennis is a sport huge on sportsmanship and stuff like that. I understand people being mad at Maria's grunting and shrieks but where was the outrage when Serena constantly did it? I just remember afte when Maria won her first title vs Serena (First against Serena) Serena just made excuses why she lost zero credit to Sharapova. It was like "really you are gonna act like that after you were convincingly beaten? It wasn't even close honey. I also remember Richard making some off the cuff comment about Sharapova that today would've made a lot of headlines but the media would've defended him on. It just sickens me that media defends people like that but then goes after others. It just shows a lot of hypocrisy and discredits you as a reporter and network. Thats why if ESPN has something on them when I'm watching the channel I quickly change it as it becomes a slobber fest over the family. 
My offseason (I played highly competitive baseball up thru my first two years of college) was tennis. That was my second sport. I actually even tried competing on the USTA in local tournaments (that did not go too well LMAO) when I was 16,17 and 18 in my off-season's every Fall. 100% on the sportsmanship in Tennis. It is a game that really has a big focus on your sportsmanship, your mannerisms, how you handle failure, and really having some grace when you win and lose. 

It has nothing to do with being white, black or yellow and the mere fact that comment was made is ridiculous and completely out of line. Highly offensive actually. But your post was spot on about that as well and thank you. 

I haven't seen the movie, but just wanted to chime in and agree that Serena is trash; ugly inside and out. I have no problem with Venus though, she seems cool. I'll probably watch the movie this weekend.

I enjoyed the movie and thought Will Smith was really fantastic. I too was immediately curious as to how true the events in the movie were and immediately looked it up; from what I can tell they got most of the big things right, and the discrepancies were all pretty minor. (The oddest change is that the family didn't originally live in Compton; he moved them there in part to help toughen them up.)

I would say that I definitely got the impression that the movie probably sanded down some of his rough edges, but I also think that most people will come away from the movie with the general impression that he was far from a saint. I also think that, whatever your opinion of Williams and his methods, you can't dispute that the results were ultimately as successful as he had hoped. There are so many stories, especially in tennis, of sheltered childhoods and abusive parents derailing careers (Capriati, Mary Pierce). But both sisters have not only been historically great tennis players, they have largely handled their business off the court as well. Not defending their tantrums, but when that's the worst thing you've done in your career, I'd say that on balance that's pretty impressive.

IMO I don't particularly care if a historical film gets all the details right, but I do resent it when the filmmakers manipulate facts to convey something that isn't true. I think the broad narrative of this movie was accurate, and it helped give me a new appreciation for a pretty amazing story.

I haven't seen the movie, but just wanted to chime in and agree that Serena is trash; ugly inside and out. I have no problem with Venus though, she seems cool. I'll probably watch the movie this weekend.
Damn, dude.

You act like you actually know her well enough personally and hate her to make such angry, nasty comments. Why get so hostile over somebody I'm betting you've never met?

This thread has taken a strange turn I was not expecting. I really enjoyed the movie. The odds were stacked to what? Maybe a 1,000,000 to 1 that a black family could produce not one but two phenoms in a predominately white, rich country club sport?

Oh, Venus Williams! They can't touch you!

My offseason (I played highly competitive baseball up thru my first two years of college) was tennis. That was my second sport. I actually even tried competing on the USTA in local tournaments (that did not go too well LMAO) when I was 16,17 and 18 in my off-season's every Fall. 100% on the sportsmanship in Tennis. It is a game that really has a big focus on your sportsmanship, your mannerisms, how you handle failure, and really having some grace when you win and lose. 

It has nothing to do with being white, black or yellow and the mere fact that comment was made is ridiculous and completely out of line. Highly offensive actually. But your post was spot on about that as well and thank you. 

Yep its just an easy excuse for people to use for their own shortcomings and possible bias's. It says more about them than it does you. There's calling out blatant racism and racial undertones but then there's out just calling people out because you disagree with them and trying to change the subject. It's why I hate cancel culture the most because there's context and a lot of things involved. What I may have said 15 yrs ago I most likely don't even believe anymore. In fact I could say thats true about me. 

This thread has taken a strange turn I was not expecting. I really enjoyed the movie. The odds were stacked to what? Maybe a 1,000,000 to 1 that a black family could produce not one but two phenoms in a predominately white, rich country club sport?

I always believed it was a matter of time and the Williams sisters were the trailblazers of having the ultimate success in a game that was pre-dominantly white. But that changed a lot starting in the 90’s. The game is quite diverse and has been for a while. 

Undeniable how great Serena Williams is. But it does not excuse her also “bratty entitled” behavior. She get's no pass. Why should she? Venus never really displayed that kind of MacEnroe esque crap. Serena was/is a notoriously sore loser. 

Anyway......looking forward to the movie this weekend. 

One can appreciate the rise and success of the Williams family in tennis on one hand.

And also see the horrible selfish gaslighting that Serena Williams inflicted on young Naomi Osaka on a national stage. It had to be about Serena Williams. She consoled Osaka telling her it wasn't her fault while making all about Serena yet again. That was just a ####ty thing to do to another human being, fame or not.

Ty Cobb is widely accepted as an incredible baseball talent but also a lousy human being.

Serena Williams is not immune from the question on if she's generational level tennis talent but also a lousy human being herself. However in the first case, if you say it about Cobb, well that's just an opinion and no one will really fight you on it. If you say the second thing about Serena Williams, you are a racist and a bigot. Which is why no one really says it. Which functions as a way to enable an over the top combative narcissist.

Talent is not a blank check to inflict your poor character onto the rest of the world.  It's disingenuous for Serena Williams to throw a tantrum at a line judge because she's getting her lunch handed to her by Osaka and pull the race card, but be too much of a gaslighting narcissist to see to do all that, she had to shove Osaka's face in the dirt, ignoring that the harm is inflicted on another woman who is half black herself, and drag her along for the ride.

It's an Oscar bait movie, which is fine. But Will Smith hasn't had a big hit in a long time and he saw the success Matthew McConaghey had with Dallas Buyers Club then True Detective to entirely reset his career.

Feel good underdog virtue signaling films take two different paths. Hidden Figures was handled pretty well. Kevin Costner wasn't reduced to a mustache twirling villain to cover for a lack of a real script. However a pure Oscar bait film like The Help was egregiously ham fisted. Bryce Dallas Howard might as well have been filmed burning a cross on a lawn. It comes down to the writing. Cheap writing can only produce caricatures. Excellent writing gives solid actors a chance to elevate the material. Taraji P. Henson lifted up Hidden Figures on her back.

Much of the problem is Will Smith is not a good actor. He's a "movie star" or a currently faded one looking for a comeback. You can shelve King Richard right there with formula schlock like Coach Carter, Dangerous Minds and The Blind Side.

A better example of a balanced sports film is Bend It Like Beckham. Which took the time and care to discuss the conflicts of sports amidst culture, race, tradition, expectations and adversity. Parminder Nagra was given an excellent script that didn't try to paint her as a victim without any personal agency. Schlock cheap feel good sports movies always try to corner their audiences with one dimensional heavies that try to chew scenery instead of taking a character beyond one dimension.

A film with Serena Williams in it can only be authentic if it's a cautionary tale.

I think one of your hands is bigger than the other.

Stephen A. says Serena Williams was wrong for 2018 US Open controversy | First Take | ESPN Sep 10, 2018

Stephen A. Smith says Serena Williams was wrong about the way she approached the chair umpire, adding that when she brought the issue of sexism into the argument, “that’s where she lost.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTFguHi9E0

Naomi Osaka was 20 years old and the first Japanese woman to win a major tournament. It was her first tournament win ever. She cried and then apologized for winning right after Williams refused to shake her hand, as is the normal convention of accepting a competitive sports loss. Because of Serena William's gaslighting and her tantrum was essentially saying "I lost, Naomi Osaka didn't win"

Stephen A Smith ( how far off the rails do you have to go to be a black athlete and have SAS come after you) points out the line judge was known for being very strict and that understanding the tone and manner of the officials is part of the competition. What Serena Williams did wasn't just an assault on innocent Naomi Osaka, she smeared the real race issues out there and the real sexism issues out there in the world.

Don't piss on someone's moment. It's not their fault you are an aging and declining former superstar and now the young has usurped the old, as is the natural way of sports. The officials didn't come hard at Serena Williams. Father Time was the one who came hard at Serena Williams.

A Japanese athlete, who was also a woman, broke a barrier. That should be celebrated. Serena Williams constantly virtue signaling and screaming about racism and sexism should have been the very FIRST PERSON to have celebrated that. Instead she used Osaka like a human toilet.

Play Stupid Games. Win Stupid Prizes.

Serena Williams spent her entire tennis career acting like an entitled raging combative narcissistic diva. Her skin color and her former talent is not immunity to the question of dignity and character. She played a stupid game with her rage. Now any criticism that she or her family receives now is part of the stupid prizes reaped for it.

How you win matters. How you lose matters. You have to protect your professional sports career for only a blip in time while you are on this Earth. But you have to protect your integrity forever. Well the rest of us do, Serena Williams already decided to sell her integrity for nothing.

And also see the horrible selfish gaslighting that Serena Williams inflicted on young Naomi Osaka on a national stage. It had to be about Serena Williams. She consoled Osaka telling her it wasn't her fault while making all about Serena yet again. That was just a ####ty thing to do to another human being, fame or not.
Look up what Osaka says about this moment.

Serena is an angry competitive player...but this is a very strange thing to highlight as a ####ty thing to do.

Look up what Osaka says about this moment.

Serena is an angry competitive player...but this is a very strange thing to highlight as a ####ty thing to do.

When Narcissists Use False Empathy Sep 3, 2020

It's somewhat common (amazingly) for narcissists to claim that they are quite empathic. What's that all about? Dr. Les Carter describes how narcissists can give the appearance of empathy, yet evidence later shows it was one of their manipulative tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvp5DHkGtpY

How To Handle A Narcissist - Dr. Phil Nov 10, 2021

Are you living with a Narcissist? Find out all about Narcissistic Personality Disorder on Dr. Phil’s new mental health podcast series, “Phil in the Blanks: Toxic Personalities in the Real World.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgHtkNm-Mc

Real empathy is fundamentally based on respect. No respect = No empathy. Did Serena Williams show Naomi Osaka any respect at all? Even a single shred?  Were real victims of racism shown any respect at all by Serena Williams? Were real victims of sexism shown any respect at all by Serena Williams?

Osaka is a victim who doesn't know how to manage a psychotic gaslighting narcissist like Serena Williams. Osaka grew up sheltered in Japan, a culture built around non confrontation and conformity. A victim showing some combination of grace and/or an inability to defend themselves does not operate as justifiable hard cover for treating another human being like a toilet.

It's always interesting to me how a large segment of the public will tolerate abuse, gaslighting, narcissism, sociopathic behavior, psychotic behavior, and generally repugnant toxic behavior because that violator happens to be good at a specific sport and will use code words like "competitive" to wash away the blood. The only reason the mainstream sports media did not universally tear Serena Williams apart is that she's a Nike signature athlete and there is a dollar value associated with protecting the Swoosh, and by extension even protection of Williams' toxic behavior, at all costs.

I always laughed when the rumor was she was on steroids (which she clearly was) and they went to test her and she went into her safe room. 

GordonGekko said:
When Narcissists Use False Empathy Sep 3, 2020

It's somewhat common (amazingly) for narcissists to claim that they are quite empathic. What's that all about? Dr. Les Carter describes how narcissists can give the appearance of empathy, yet evidence later shows it was one of their manipulative tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvp5DHkGtpY

How To Handle A Narcissist - Dr. Phil Nov 10, 2021

Are you living with a Narcissist? Find out all about Narcissistic Personality Disorder on Dr. Phil’s new mental health podcast series, “Phil in the Blanks: Toxic Personalities in the Real World.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgHtkNm-Mc

Real empathy is fundamentally based on respect. No respect = No empathy. Did Serena Williams show Naomi Osaka any respect at all? Even a single shred?  Were real victims of racism shown any respect at all by Serena Williams? Were real victims of sexism shown any respect at all by Serena Williams?

Osaka is a victim who doesn't know how to manage a psychotic gaslighting narcissist like Serena Williams. Osaka grew up sheltered in Japan, a culture built around non confrontation and conformity. A victim showing some combination of grace and/or an inability to defend themselves does not operate as justifiable hard cover for treating another human being like a toilet.

It's always interesting to me how a large segment of the public will tolerate abuse, gaslighting, narcissism, sociopathic behavior, psychotic behavior, and generally repugnant toxic behavior because that violator happens to be good at a specific sport and will use code words like "competitive" to wash away the blood. The only reason the mainstream sports media did not universally tear Serena Williams apart is that she's a Nike signature athlete and there is a dollar value associated with protecting the Swoosh, and by extension even protection of Williams' toxic behavior, at all costs.
Not objecting to your overall point, but wanted to point out that Osaka moved to the US when she was 3 years old and was raised here. 

Finally watched the movie last night. I thought Will Smith was outstanding as always. Love him. But the real scene stealer was John Bernthal. He played Coach Macci to a tee. Was great,

Overall a really good entertaining watch. I am sure it was a lot lighter portrayal of the complete control freak Richard Williams was. But I truly commend both he and his wife for raising 5 girls in a terrible situation growing up in Compton which is no safe haven in the least bit. I also did not disagree with Richard's stubbornness to allow his daughters to potentially get burned out on the Juniors circuit. It probably allowed Venus and Serena to have the much longer careers they had in reality.  

Anyway the movie was good. And not controversial at all in nature as this was from the sisters perspective.....and quite frankly that is the only perspective I would care to know because that is their father and that is how they were raised. He did a great job in the end. They had magnificent careers. And of course Serena is the GOAT in women’s tennis. Despite my disdain of her sportsmanship at times in her career she was simply incredible (as I have stated many times). 

I thought it was good, not great. Worth a watch to kill 2 hours.

I was hoping it was gonna go further in their careers, but it was pretty much the story up until Venus' 2nd pro match when she faced Arantxa Sánchez Vicario. I was left wanting more of their story, they never got to Serenas journey to go pro.

I thought it was good, not great. Worth a watch to kill 2 hours.

I was hoping it was gonna go further in their careers, but it was pretty much the story up until Venus' 2nd pro match when she faced Arantxa Sánchez Vicario. I was left wanting more of their story, they never got to Serenas journey to go pro.
You want the Princess Serena movie

Users who are viewing this thread