What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waukesha WI - Christmas Parade Attacked by Driver (Darrell Brooks Jr) in an SUV (2 Viewers)

Opposite reactions.   BR was in the FFA version bringing up KR and the proximity to Kenosha.   Here we are wondering why it's being brought up in the political forum.   

Sadly the short answer is probably because everything is political now.  
Bingo. I'm not going to delve into it but there are many prominent people equating it to the other Wisconsin thing that just happened. Seemed only inevitable it would end up here. 

Bingo. I'm not going to delve into it but there are many prominent people equating it to the other Wisconsin thing that just happened. Seemed only inevitable it would end up here. 
So are there actually sides on this? This seems like you are really stretching this to be something the other side supports or whatever.  Not cool at all.  

Opposite reactions.   BR was in the FFA version bringing up KR and the proximity to Kenosha.   Here we are wondering why it's being brought up in the political forum.   

Who is BR a d KR?  Keerock?  

So are there actually sides on this? This seems like you are really stretching this to be something the other side supports or whatever.  Not cool at all.  
I'm on the side that this is a horrible tragedy but I'm also realistic in how this will end up being portrayed. 

At the very least if the suspect ends up being the person being reported, it will lead to a discussion about reforming our bail policy. The person being reported was let out on bail on Friday with multiple violent charges. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I was with you til the last part. I think the answer to the last part is your first 2 words. Those are engaging and thus profitable. 

No reasonable person sees what happened last night as political, but politics aren't geared towards anything pragmatic because they lack revenue streams. Those that over consume politics and immediately draw conclusions that align with their bias - they're the path to profits.

Everything is political to a subset of the country.  Thankfully when I read or watch stories like this my first reaction is assuming the person is mentally ill, high or both.  Just a horrible story and this will probably be my only post in here as I don’t see a need for it unless/until something actually makes it political - which I don’t see happening, even if this single persons motivation was (potentially) political.

Please be chill with this. We don't know very much at all at this point. 

As for why political thread, give it a rest. Everything gets political at some point. 

Sadly the "worst" thing for media clicks is the best thing for us and what we all hope - that there is some sort of semi logical explanation like fleeing from a crime or impaired or something. The thing that will get the most clicks for media is if the worst thing for us and it's some sort of terrorist attack or hate crime.

Right now, we don't know. Please don't speculate on what you don't know. 

Please be chill with this. We don't know very much at all at this point. 

As for why political thread, give it a rest. Everything gets political at some point. 

Sadly the "worst" thing for media clicks is the best thing for us and what we all hope - that there is some sort of semi logical explanation like fleeing from a crime or impaired or something. The thing that will get the most clicks for media is if the worst thing for us and it's some sort of terrorist attack or hate crime.

Right now, we don't know. Please don't speculate on what you don't know. 
I don’t really care if there’s a thread here because hopefully that ensures the FFA thread is just about the story - but I will say that even having a thread in the PSF is speculation on things we don’t know.  Unless this was some kind of coordinated attack then no matter this persons motivation I will chalk it up to that person being crazy and just a horrible human being - and that won’t change if I find out he’s a R or a D or neither.

I don’t really care if there’s a thread here because hopefully that ensures the FFA thread is just about the story - but I will say that even having a thread in the PSF is speculation on things we don’t know.  Unless this was some kind of coordinated attack then no matter this persons motivation I will chalk it up to that person being crazy and just a horrible human being - and that won’t change if I find out he’s a R or a D or neither.
I read he was fleeing a crime scene / pursuit...🤷‍♂️

I was with you til the last part. I think the answer to the last part is your first 2 words. Those are engaging and thus profitable. 

No reasonable person sees what happened last night as political, but politics aren't geared towards anything pragmatic because they lack revenue streams. Those that over consume politics and immediately draw conclusions that align with their bias - they're the path to profits.
dj touched on this below.   It doesn't have to be political in the sense of motivation, race, whatever.    But if this person was just out of jail, criminal past, on drugs, etc..   I am not claiming I know those to be true, I am just saying that those would also be political topics and the story will be seen through those lenses. 

I read he was fleeing a crime scene / pursuit...🤷‍♂️
Hadn’t heard that one yet but that would really make it not political.  Seems odd that he would flee in that way based on the footage that I saw though.

dj touched on this below.   It doesn't have to be political in the sense of motivation, race, whatever.    But if this person was just out of jail, criminal past, on drugs, etc..   I am not claiming I know those to be true, I am just saying that those would also be political topics and the story will be seen through those lenses. 

Thanks.

And to be clear, for the other question, I'm not going to spend a lot of time answering for folks who object and report threads for what forum a thread is started in. There are a zillion things more important.

Everything is political to a subset of the country.  Thankfully when I read or watch stories like this my first reaction is assuming the person is mentally ill, high or both.  Just a horrible story and this will probably be my only post in here as I don’t see a need for it unless/until something actually makes it political - which I don’t see happening, even if this single persons motivation was (potentially) political.
This is where my head is at too.

A day later I also understand why there is a thread here. There is a discussion to be had about the appointed DAs and what leads to recidivist felons being let lose on our communities. 

I think this is an incident we should all come together on. 

This is where I’m at too. I understand why there is a thread here but I think this is an incident we should all come together on. 
Yeah - maybe an interesting angle could be an offshoot discussion on why people feel the need or feel compelled to do certain things - protests, attacks, etc. in the name of politics.  It’s a current trend with a subset of our populace that I don’t get.  And obviously not implying that’s what this person was doing - it’s just the only potential angle that I see a valuable discussion taking place.

I know. Hence...

Those that over consume politics and immediately draw conclusions that align with their bias - they're the path to profits.

Yeah - maybe an interesting angle could be an offshoot discussion on why people feel the need or feel compelled to do certain things - protests, attacks, etc. in the name of politics.  It’s a current trend with a subset of our populace that I don’t get.  And obviously not implying that’s what this person was doing - it’s just the only potential angle that I see a valuable discussion taking place.
I edited my post… But we mostly agree. I’m not getting into any politics on this one. It’s a tragedy and that’s all I want to say. 

I've now heard he was fleeing from a knife fight

He was released on bail on Friday

Not sure how much is speculation and how much is true
When I first saw video of this I immediately thought he was fleeing. The driver avoided so many people and ultimately got to a point where he couldnt get past without plowing into people. 

Obviously not excusing what he did, just saying I dont think this was somebody that entered a parade route for the purpose of running people over. 

Seeing that video where he blows right by the kid in the snowsuit is just insane. I am guessing that mom still hasnt let go of hugging her kid. 

Disheartening.  Lives lost.  Families with loved ones torn away right before the holidays.  Children traumatized.  Memories destroyed, traditions forever tarnished.  I know me, my sadness will shortly turn to anger.  I try to be mindful that anger lashes out, but it also consumes inward, like fire that produces heat but consumes its source.  I feel that turning even now.

Why is this in the political forum?  

was it religiously motivated? was it intentional? were the people illegals? was the motivation behind the "attack" (if it was) political as in retaliation for the Rittenhouse verdict?

there are many avenues that makes this absolutely political

right now, I'd be really angry with the lax judicial system that has apparently let out a violent person who turned right around and killed / hurt people .... who champions such a system ? :(  

When I first saw video of this I immediately thought he was fleeing. The driver avoided so many people and ultimately got to a point where he couldnt get past without plowing into people. 

Obviously not excusing what he did, just saying I dont think this was somebody that entered a parade route for the purpose of running people over. 

Seeing that video where he blows right by the kid in the snowsuit is just insane. I am guessing that mom still hasnt let go of hugging her kid. 
That video of the little girl scared the ever loving crap out of me. Because we have been at parades with my kids around that age doing the same thing. Just laughing and dancing in the street collecting candy from the people. 

The downside to teaching CRT or even thinking along those lines are now that becomes the prism we have to view events through. 
I honestly have no idea where you are going with this.

This guy seems like a crazed lunatic who has a long rap sheet. How CRT has anything to do with him being a POS and killing people and how we view it makes no sense

Hang on a second.  You're completely misrepresenting me.

All I said was "I hope this isn't related to the Rittenhouse verdict".  That's all.  Nothing else was said on that.  Someone else asked how far it was from Kenosha, not me.

Stop acting like I was posting like dozer does in the 1/6 threads.  I had ONE post and it was pretty mild and not even political, IMO.

I honestly have no idea where you are going with this.

This guy seems like a crazed lunatic who has a long rap sheet. How CRT has anything to do with him being a POS and killing people and how we view it makes no sense
He's black and BLM was pretty vocal in Wisconsin over the weekend. This being fallout from the verdict is less of a leap than the Media calling Rittenhouse a white supremacist. 

I've skimmed half a dozen stories about this attack, and I can't help but notice that none of them identify the driver.  I assume that means he's either black or arabic-looking.  The fact that you can play "guess the race" based on whether the suspect's race is mentioned or not is pretty sad.

Edit: I see now that people in this thread are confirming that the driver is black.  I would have guessed arabic based on the number of "this does not appear to be terrorism-related" disclaimers stuck into every story, but still.  It's funny to see how the media covers this sort of thing differently depending on what narrative they want to advance.

I've skimmed half a dozen stories about this attack, and I can't help but notice that none of them identify the driver.  I assume that means he's either black or arabic-looking.  The fact that you can play "guess the race" based on whether the suspect's race is mentioned or not is pretty sad.

IF that is the suspect it's pretty clear to me this story will get buried.  Had this been a white guy I think there is ZERO doubt how this would have played out.  This would have been on EVERY station 24/7 for the next 6 months and @dozer would have started 3 new threads on it.

Why is it so important to "guess the race"?

You'd think Joe Scarborough was driving then we could correctly blame the media. 

The journalist job is to report facts as they come in. Isn't it common operating procedure for LE to withhold info until facts are confirmed?

As someone who pointed out on Twitter:

"Hold it! That sex offender information is from Nevada! Are you saying Darrell Brooks has CROSSED STATE LINES????"

The story is not going to get buried.  I think its pretty natural to not name the guy that soon after (especially since there were other suspects/people of interest) still out there according to some reports early on.

And the calling out of dozer is absolutely ridiculous.  I guess being in the PSF that is a natural reaction to just flat out try to get personal with posters though.  

He's black and BLM was pretty vocal in Wisconsin over the weekend. This being fallout from the verdict is less of a leap than the Media calling Rittenhouse a white supremacist. 

So what does this have to do with CRT...or BLM?  Because the guy is black?  Seriously...where are you going with all of this?

Edit: I see now that people in this thread are confirming that the driver is black.  I would have guessed arabic based on the number of "this does not appear to be terrorism-related" disclaimers stuck into every story, but still.  It's funny to see how the media covers this sort of thing differently depending on what narrative they want to advance.
I think it's great that they put out a disclaimer early that it wasn't terrorism related.  That would really cause some panic.

The story is not going to get buried.  I think its pretty natural to not name the guy that soon after (especially since there were other suspects/people of interest) still out there according to some reports early on.

And the calling out of dozer is absolutely ridiculous.  I guess being in the PSF that is a natural reaction to just flat out try to get personal with posters though.  
It'll be a Fox News story and a local news story by tomorrow AM.

It'll be a Fox News story and a local news story by tomorrow AM.
Doubtful...but once a guy is in custody...beyond if they get him to say his motive...how long should it be a story?  No doubt...someone will try to make hay of it and milk it for everything to ensure more outrage to their readers/viewers.  But I don't see the story just being "buried".

Users who are viewing this thread