What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 13 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help. And thank you to all of the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Mayfield vs Den or Matt Ryan @ Mia

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

The running total for my season long competition for head-to-head calls vs a coin toss:

Week 13 I went 12-12-0 

The coin toss was 8-16-0

Season long my totals are 165-132-15

Season long the coin toss is, unsurprisingly, 149-148-17

I'll go first. Add/Drop question. PPR League.

Been holding on to C. Ridley with a bye clinched. No word still if he's coming back. Even if he comes back not sure if he'll be rolling and ATL could just mail it in weeks 16 and 17.

Looking at the wire I see Julio Jones. Yeah he's on IR and been somewhat useless, but AJ Brown isn't a given to be back weeks 16 and 17 so if Julio gets off IR he could be TN's #1 WR...and they need all the offensive help they can get. TN gets SF and MIA at home weeks 16 and 17.

Hold Ridley or go for Julio (who most likely will not be picked up due to a bye week this week).

Thanks

As usual will post up decisions that rely on TNF first. Half PPR, final flex position is coming down to these options:

• Gallup @ Saints (TNF)
  • EMoore vs Eagles
  • Toney @ Dolphins
Cooper/Lamb's status makes this one difficult, think if they're both out then Gallup, both active then Moore, but if one plays, then what?

I know people often ask about starting WRs when their opponent has that team's QB, but in a similar vein, what do people think about starting a QB and the DST he's facing in the same lineup? I've reached the point where I'm ready to bench Russell for Taysom Hill. But I've also been starting the Dallas D for most of the season (with mixed results). I'm already a little nervous for this week, both because of Hill replacing Siemian and also because of the Covid outbreak among the Cowboys. But there's also the question of whether starting Hill and Dallas would limit my upside (FWIW, I'm a modest favorite this week, which would suggest I should start both in order to limit variance).

Alternative would be to drop Darrel Williams and pick up a DST streamer like Minnesota @ Detroit. (Could also wait until Deebo is officially ruled out and I can move him to IR, which would mean I wouldn't have to drop anyone. But I suspect by that point Minny might get snatched up.)

Been holding on to C. Ridley with a bye clinched. No word still if he's coming back. Even if he comes back not sure if he'll be rolling and ATL could just mail it in weeks 16 and 17.

Looking at the wire I see Julio Jones. Yeah he's on IR and been somewhat useless, but AJ Brown isn't a given to be back weeks 16 and 17 so if Julio gets off IR he could be TN's #1 WR...and they need all the offensive help they can get. TN gets SF and MIA at home weeks 16 and 17.

Hold Ridley or go for Julio (who most likely will not be picked up due to a bye week this week).

Thanks
From what I have read I don't think you can expect Ridley back this season so I would go for Julio.

Thanks
I'd hold Ridley personally. He's simply the better talent at this point.

If Brown had a lower body injury I would be more concerned about his return, and a little higher on Julio, but it's a chest contusion. He shouldn't be on a pitch count when he gets back.

Julio is a walking (limping) lower body M*A*S*H episode. You may get one game where you really have no idea what he brings to the table then,...?

I just think there are a lot of guys out there who can approximate Julio's potential at this point. There aren't any on the wire who can do what Ridley can.

As usual will post up decisions that rely on TNF first. Half PPR, final flex position is coming down to these options:

• Gallup @ Saints (TNF)
  • EMoore vs Eagles
  • Toney @ Dolphins
Cooper/Lamb's status makes this one difficult, think if they're both out then Gallup, both active then Moore, but if one plays, then what?
Definitely watch Cooper's status (Lamb has been practicing this week). I think you have it right - play Gallup if Cooper is inactive - if not go for Moore. I don't trust Toney.

I know people often ask about starting WRs when their opponent has that team's QB, but in a similar vein, what do people think about starting a QB and the DST he's facing in the same lineup? I've reached the point where I'm ready to bench Russell for Taysom Hill. But I've also been starting the Dallas D for most of the season (with mixed results). I'm already a little nervous for this week, both because of Hill replacing Siemian and also because of the Covid outbreak among the Cowboys. But there's also the question of whether starting Hill and Dallas would limit my upside (FWIW, I'm a modest favorite this week, which would suggest I should start both in order to limit variance).

Alternative would be to drop Darrel Williams and pick up a DST streamer like Minnesota @ Detroit. (Could also wait until Deebo is officially ruled out and I can move him to IR, which would mean I wouldn't have to drop anyone. But I suspect by that point Minny might get snatched up.)
I usually try not to overthink these decisions. I prefer the Minnesota D this week. Dallas has some nice matchups the next few weeks so you probably don't want to drop them but it is hard to hold on to 2 defenses so I guess it depends on how deep your league benches are. I could not hold onto 2 Ds in one league so I dropped one to win the week a few weeks ago and have been happily streaming ever since. If this is not an option than drop Williams if you are fighting for a playoff spot because you need to win now.

Thanks
Here is the last thing I read about the situation: https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/calvin-ridley-back-atlanta-mental-health-salary-cap

titusbramble said:

• Gallup @ Saints (TNF)
  • EMoore vs Eagles
  • Toney @ Dolphins
Sleeperbot update said Toney is out of practice today. Glennon also in line to start but that may actually be a good thing for the WRs in the same way Dalton has been much better for Mooney than Fields. Of course Dalton>>Glennon.

Wilson really jams up Moore's upside but he still got 8 targets last week, with Davis out, and he does look very explosive like he could rip one off at any moment.

Sleeperbot just posted that Cooper is traveling with the Cowboys and expected to play. And other updates on MFL say Lamb practiced in full.

I probably go with Moore, he's probably has the clearest path to the most looks.

Decimal scoring...1 PPR

Need TWO of the following:

M.Gordon @ KC

S.Shepard @ Mia

C.Kirk @ Chi

N.Fant @ KC

And THREE of the following:

R.Burkhead vs Ind

D.Hopkins @ Chi(if active)

L.Shenault @ LAR

R.Gage vs TB

T.Smith vs Dall

T.Conklin @ Det

C.J. Uzomah vs LAC

0.5 PPR

Have been decimated by injuries so I have to pick two of these "studs" for RB:

C. Edwards-Helaire vs DEN
D. Singletary vs NE
S. Michel vs JAX
T. Coleman vs PHI
T. Johnson vs PHI
D. Williams vs DEN

Then I need to pick either one of the above or one of these guys at FLEX:
T. Lockett vs SF
D. Knox vs NE

0.5 PPR

D. Singletary vs NE
S. Michel vs JAX
T. Coleman vs PHI
T. Johnson vs PHI
D. Williams vs DEN

T. Lockett vs SF
D. Knox vs NE

CEH looked to be heavily involved his first game back. IIRC he had 2 good games before injury as well, so maybe a strong stretch run coming for him. If that D. Williams is really J. Williams (as in "Javonte")... then I like these two from list 1.

If Sony Michel is getting the start this week I like his as the FLEX. Gut tells me the Rams get back to running the ball. If he's not the primary back going in, then I would FLEX Lockett.

Here's my WR dilemma... 1/2 PPR league... need one of the following:

• Amari Cooper - on the road vs NOS fresh off a bout w/ COVID (no practice). Maybe no Cedric Wilson in this one either.
  • Brandon Aiyuk - at SEA maybe taking on the challenge of stepping up (even more) in the absence of Deebo
  • Odel Beckham - at home (in a "get right") vs JAX, but nursing lower back issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dizzy.  Unfortunately it is D. Williams of KC.  

Right now I have CEH & Singletary at RB1 & RB2 though I will definitely switch to Michel if he gets the start.  Coleman is also a very ugly option.

At flex I have Lockett right now but may switch to either Knox, Singletary or Coleman.

• Amari Cooper - on the road vs NOS fresh off a bout w/ COVID (no practice)
  • Brandon Aiyuk - at SEA maybe taking on the challenge of stepping up (even more) in the absence of Deebo
  • Odel Beckham - at home (in a "get right") vs JAX, but nursing lower back issues
Of these I would go with Aiyuk, as you pointed out without Deebo he is the clear #1

Thanks Dizzy.  Unfortunately it is D. Williams of KC.  

Right now I have CEH & Singletary at RB1 & RB2 though I will definitely switch to Michel if he gets the start.  Coleman is also a very ugly option.

At flex I have Lockett right now but may switch to either Knox, Singletary or Coleman.

Damn, my brain turned that Williams vs DEN into Javonte 😄

In which I case I would definitely NOT play D. Williams. Michel over Singletary as you said, but would worry Breida is taking over there.

A "Do This Trade" Question. 

12 team PPR.

* I GIVE: R. Stevenson & M. Ingram

* I GET: D. Montgomery & R. Jones

I own Fournette so would get insurance in Rojo and Montgomery, who while he has underperformed, has a nice schedule (again) for the fantasy playoffs.

The other owner is a frustrated Kamara owner who would get Ingram along with Stevenson who is emerging.

Would give me a top 3 RBs of Ekeler, Fournette, D. Montgomery.

Do it?

Thanks

12 team PPR.

I own Fournette so would get insurance in Rojo and Montgomery, who while he has underperformed, has a nice schedule (again) for the fantasy playoffs.

The other owner is a frustrated Kamara owner who would get Ingram along with Stevenson who is emerging.

Do it?

Thanks
seems like a easy yes. my reasoning is you probably would never start Stevenson nor Ingram over Ekeler and Fournette. Montgomery imo will be startable more so than Stevenson and Ingram. RoJo is easy insurance.

on the other side too, if he has Kamara and Kamara is slated to be back this week, you're not making his team any better imo. is this a keeper or dynasty league? I'd take Montgomery over Stevenson even if that's the case, but it's the only reason this would even require me to think about it.

seems like a easy yes. my reasoning is you probably would never start Stevenson nor Ingram over Ekeler and Fournette. Montgomery imo will be startable more so than Stevenson and Ingram. RoJo is easy insurance.

on the other side too, if he has Kamara and Kamara is slated to be back this week, you're not making his team any better imo. is this a keeper or dynasty league? I'd take Montgomery over Stevenson even if that's the case, but it's the only reason this would even require me to think about it.

It's a 2 flex spot league so I need bodies. Montgomery would fit in nicely there for sure, but I could see being forced to start Stevenson, Ingram (or insert latest WW wonder RB here).

Trade was actually offered by me. Kamara owner waiting on more news. Latest seems like Kamara is iffy. Best case scenario would be Kamara limited snaps or out prior increasing Ingram's value before gametime tmrw.

I want to ask "Who do I hold for week 16/17 playoffs?". Colts D or Eagles D? Surprised by FBG rest of season rankings that Colts are higher. Considering the Colts play Arizona and LV, whereas Eagles play NYG and Wash.

Decimal scoring...1 PPR

M.Gordon @ KC

S.Shepard @ Mia

C.Kirk @ Chi

N.Fant @ KC

R.Burkhead vs Ind

L.Shenault @ LAR

R.Gage vs TB

T.Smith vs Dall

T.Conklin @ Det

C.J. Uzomah vs LAC
Gordon and Kirk in the first 

Hopkins is obvious if he plays than a bunch of coin flips.  I would probably go with Shenault, Gage and Smith but I don't have a strong feeling about it.

0.5 PPR

D. Singletary vs NE
S. Michel vs JAX
T. Coleman vs PHI
T. Johnson vs PHI
D. Williams vs DEN

T. Lockett vs SF
D. Knox vs NE
CEH and Michel if Henderson is out. I have no confidence in Singletary and would probably start Johnson.

I would not bench Lockett. 

• Amari Cooper - on the road vs NOS fresh off a bout w/ COVID (no practice). Maybe no Cedric Wilson in this one either.
Agree with @Godsbrotherthat you should go with Aiyuk

12 team PPR.

Do it?

Thanks
I would do that because I think Monty is the best RB of that group by far

I want to ask "Who do I hold for week 16/17 playoffs?". Colts D or Eagles D? Surprised by FBG rest of season rankings that Colts are higher. Considering the Colts play Arizona and LV, whereas Eagles play NYG and Wash.
Go with your instincts because the match ups are better.  The Colts are a better real world D than the Eagles.

For .5 PPR: Michael Gallup or Miles Sanders?
This one is tough. Gallup is talented but has Lamb and Cooper returning. Sanders has the Q designation off a rolled ankle and others to contend with in Scott and Howard. However, Eagles started running the ball more in his recent absence that he just returned from, so the promise is still there that if he’s able to be on the field, he will get a nice and healthy amount of touches. Decision needs made by Thursday evening as Gallup plays, so less time to see how Sanders ankle is shaping up. I think it depends on the make up of the rest of your team and what type of opponent you are playing against. 

Do you need to shoot from the hip, chase the ceiling more and  a potential big play or 2 then it’s Gallup. Risk 0-5 pts though 

If you want more floor then as long as Sanders can play I’d go him. If he lasts the games then there’s likely at least 7-10 points there and he is due to break out and also due a TD. 

I think I go Sanders 

0.5 ppr, miles sanders or tee Higgins. Higgins has a bad matchup. Sanders is going against jets.... but he's only scoring 7pts a game his last 10 games so can we really trust him to have a good game against terrible jets?

6pt/PaTD league I’m trying to decide between Taysom and Heinicke. Any thoughts?

In 4pt/PaTD I’m wavering between Dak and Hurts. I’ve chosen wrong between Dak and Hurts the past two weeks, missing both week’s QB1 performance lol.

Taysom Hill - Thursday vs Cowboys
Jalen Hurts - Sunday at Jets

Taysom Hill was a full FP all week.  Kamara was LP all week and is Questionable, while Mark Ingram was FP all week and has no injury designation, so the Saints offense should be a little better than what they had against the Bills last week.  Although both OT's Armstead and Ramczyk are Questionable and my guess is neither one plays.  Looks like Deonte Harris will play while his suspension is on appeal.

Jalen Hurts looked OK last week except for 3 dreadful interceptions.  He should have had a game-winning TD if Jalen Reagor caught either of the last 2 passes of the game.  But Hurts has a sore ankle.  He is expected to play Sunday, and did not exhibit a limp before practice today.  However, Jalen Hurts as a pure pocket passer does not inspire great confidence.  But he is facing the Jets pass defense, which does inspire confidence.

One problem is Hill is playing Thursday, so if I don't start him on Thursday and Hurts pulls up lame I don't have an alternative, unless Hurts is actually inactive, in which case I could put him on IR and then plug in either Heinicke or Garoppolo (ugh).  I mainly picked up Hill to cover the week 14 Bye rather than use him this week, but now considering my options.

ignatiusjreilly said:

This is probably a little above my pay grade. I am sure someone has done an analysis about starting a player and the opposing defense but I haven't read it.

My gut says start your best players. I can absolutely see benching Wilson but for Taysom? He was nice starting for four games last season and with that as a baseline you should expect a shade over 200 yards passing with one TD, about 50 yards rushing with a score. Of course he had both Kamara & Michael Thomas for that stretch.

With Seattle in a tailspin, San Francisco surging?

Yeah I can see starting Hill but I'd like it more if I knew Kamara's status.

Regarding defense, again I would like to know Kamara's status.

Cee Dee & Cooper also have a big impact on whether or New Orleans offense will be pressing to keep pace, more points for Taysom, maybe, more opportunities for Dallas D.

Vikings may finally have a big game but I'd they do it would be their first one since week two, and that was barely a big game itself.

Dallas D has just performed better for the most part all season.

Decimal scoring...1 PPR

M.Gordon @ KC

S.Shepard @ Mia

C.Kirk @ Chi

N.Fant @ KC

R.Burkhead vs Ind

L.Shenault @ LAR

R.Gage vs TB

T.Smith vs Dall

T.Conklin @ Det

C.J. Uzomah vs LAC
Group A) Definitely Gordon unless he doesn't practice Thu & Fri. I believe Shepard is still not practicing but, like Gordon let's see what happens Thu & Fri.  You also need to see where Hopkins & Murray are this week. Bottom line it's too early to make an even remotely informed decision.

I would repost on Saturday if possible.

Group B) I think you play Hopkins, if he plays.

I don't like Burkhead, I mean if he can't do anything against the Jets, who give up massive points to RBs, at home then what can you rely on him for?

I guess Shenault gets enough looks to be a consideration but he's barely averaging 7.5 Y/R since week six so you really are just going for the PPR and not much more.

I have been higher on Gage than most but I think my opinion about him is correct. He's the #1 WR, defenses can't key on him because of Cordarrelle & Pitts so he has a good path to eight semi-meaningful targets.

I like Uzomah against that Chargers D, then again Conklin has a nice matchup too. I lean towards the home cooking when choosing between them.

I don't have much of an opinion about TreQuan other than who knows but "I doubt it".

It's really a crap shoot but

Gage>Hopkins>Uzomah/Shenault (PPR v TD upside)>Conklin>Burkhead

If things go right I might have a plethora of RBs this week. Rank these assuming the starter is not playing

Monty vs ARI

Ingram vs DAL

Javonte vs KC

Michel vs JAX

Normally I would feel pretty good who to start here but right now I’m not so sure. Start 2 from these 5 possibilities. With my playoff hopes hanging in the balance I’m seriously lost …

D Hopkins vs Chicago

D Metcalf  vs SF

M Williams  vs Cincy 

V Jefferson vs Jax 

D Smith vs NYJ 

0.5 PPR

D. Singletary vs NE
S. Michel vs JAX
T. Coleman vs PHI
T. Johnson vs PHI
D. Williams vs DEN

T. Lockett vs SF
D. Knox vs NE
CEH seems like an obvious call here, he immediately stepped in and almost doubled up Williams for opportunities. It's not a big job but it's his job.

Lockett also seems like a smart choice. Wilson & the Seahawks are definitely off but Lockett has had two nice games despite that and has had a couple of deep connection for big gains that came very close to going all the way.

Unfortunately it seems that if you use Lockett you can't use Knox. Is that correct? It's a shame because I like him over the others.

In that case Michel seems like a good option. It's a very plus matchup so even if Henderson plays there may be some solid mop-up opportunities. If Henderson doesn't play, or is limited Michel starts to look like a legit RB2> If Henderson is announced as out before early kickoff on Sunday Michel should probably be your top option.

I don't like what I am reading about Amari not feeling well.

Odell had a great game but is banged up and this game could possibly be a rout (but never rely on that presumption).

Aiyuk has been productive in four of the last five games averaging 6.4 targets, 4.6 catches, 67.2 yards and two TDs. He's been overshadowed by Deebo, for good reason, but he was already stepping up and now he has increased opportunities.

I hate benching Amari because his big games can be off the charts, and if your gut is telling you to start him then you should but for me

Aiyuk>Amari>Odell

12 team PPR.

Do it?

Thanks
Redraft?

Actually, doesn't matter IMO. I probably do that trade.

I have to imagine Montgomery will rebound at some point and he's already getting all the opportunities. Rhamondre's only shot at starter volume is through injury.

Jones is a nice throw in for a Fournette owner.

Eagles defense fantasy numbers are bolstered by four return TDs. That is a highly unpredictable, and likely unsustainable, stat.

Eagles have 19 sacks, 8 INT & 4 fumble recoveries (six of those sacks came in one game against the Lions). The Colts have 25 sacks, 18 INTO & 14 fumble recoveries. That's almost five big plays per game compared to 2.6 for the Eagles. The Colts cause a lot more chaos, which is probably why they are ranked higher RoS than the Eagles.

Regarding the matchups I think last week is a great example of why you shouldn't put too much stock in matchups, particularly NFC East games which never go as expected. Indy & Philly put up the same fantasy points despite facing the Bucs & Giants respectively.

Redraft?

Actually, doesn't matter IMO. I probably do that trade.

I have to imagine Montgomery will rebound at some point and he's already getting all the opportunities. Rhamondre's only shot at starter volume is through injury.

Jones is a nice throw in for a Fournette owner.

Having back and forth with the Kamara owner now. Kamara ruled out so odds just increased this could fly.

I have a feeling I may kick myself in week 16 and Harris dinged, but the logic to do this seems sound right now.

0.5 ppr, miles sanders or tee Higgins. Higgins has a bad matchup. Sanders is going against jets.... but he's only scoring 7pts a game his last 10 games so can we really trust him to have a good game against terrible jets?
If Sanders plays I would absolutely roll the dice with him. The running game in Philly has changed and 10 weeks of data no longer accurately reflects a the current situation.

Higgins is great but the Cinci receiving corps is like fantasy football whack-a-mole. Good luck choosing the right one each week.

Not short of options here but they all have their warts. 

0.5ppr, need to start 4 of these guys …

Elliot - hobbled, lesser load, good run D Saints 

Kamara - how fit is he ? 

Gaskin - least talented but good matchup 

Montgomery - middling in recent weeks

J Williams - lesser talent like Gaskin but Swift out  

Amari Cooper - just back from COVID 

it’s a real pickle. I can’t make my mind up 

right now got Elliot/Monty/Gaskin/Cooper in 

Not short of options here but they all have their warts. 

0.5ppr, need to start 4 of these guys …

Elliot - hobbled, lesser load, good run D Saints 

Kamara - how fit is he ? 

Gaskin - least talented but good matchup 

Montgomery - middling in recent weeks

J Williams - lesser talent like Gaskin but Swift out  

Amari Cooper - just back from COVID 

it’s a real pickle. I can’t make my mind up 

right now got Elliot/Monty/Gaskin/Cooper in 
I think you gotta throw Jamaal in there too. Over who? Not Monty. Despite the lack of points hard to bench a guy getting as many snaps as he is. Over one of the Cowboys? Your guess is as good as mine as to how much either of them play. Over Gaskin? No RB is harder to figure out than him as he either has horrible games or blowup games. I think twist my arm Id bench Cooper.

If things go right I might have a plethora of RBs this week. Rank these assuming the starter is not playing

Monty vs ARI

Ingram vs DAL

Javonte vs KC

Michel vs JAX

Michel >>> Javonte > Monty > Ingram

Saints two OT's out for the game today, so that I would think will diminish all offense values. Also if Taysom starts, he kills RB values, especially at the goal line i think. If Michel gets the start he's a must play at home.

If Sanders plays I would absolutely roll the dice with him. The running game in Philly has changed and 10 weeks of data no longer accurately reflects a the current situation.

Higgins is great but the Cinci receiving corps is like fantasy football whack-a-mole. Good luck choosing the right one each week.
i probably will roll with sanders, but the last two weeks of sanders have been the same as the prior 8... so the new rushing emphasis isnt benefiting him... yet, counterpoint.... the jets are terrible... thanks for your thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread