What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who should be the 2021 MVP favorite? (1 Viewer)

Who should be the 2021 MVP favorite?

• Aaron Rodgers

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Jonathan Taylor

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Justin Herbert

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Matthew Stafford

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Patrick Mahomes

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 11.1%

• Total voters
Cooper Kupp might have to be there if Taylor is. 

I don't think either belongs there. I think a QB is the most high-leverage and high-value position in any sport. And they haven't all been consistent this year. I'm voting "I don't know." 

I think it's Taylor by a mile. His season is on par with previous RBs to win it and he's so good that nobody notices how sh**** Carson Wentz is anymore. That's a feat in itself.

It's a QB award though, so Aaron Rogers in the end.

Too easy to give it to a QB, but Taylor deserves it.  Rodgers will probably win it and Taylor wins Offensive Player of the Year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's Taylor by a mile. His season is on par with previous RBs to win it and he's so good that nobody notices how sh**** Carson Wentz is anymore. That's a feat in itself.

Id agree...I think Taylor is fantastic...would have been fun seeing a little battle between he and Henry for a rushing title.  

But it typically goes to a QB unless Taylor does something giant/special that hasn't been done.  And after the Tampa game last night..seems its now Rodgers to lose.

How so? Genuinely curious what the argument is outside of the stretch of continuous games with a TD? He’s nowhere near the single season rushing record or TD record. The last RB to win rushed for over 2k yards in a season and that couldn’t even get Henry the MVP last year.

He’s had an great/awesome fantasy stretch, but for a non-QB to really have a case they need to do something almost historic.

I think Brady is still the front runner. He had an awful game against NO, where he didn't have his top-3 WR's, and #1 RB. No QB would play well in that situation. I do think Rodgers is making a late push, though I do wonder if his whole vaccination ordeal will be held against him in some voters eyes.  If both Brady and Rodgers finish strong, I think I lean Brady. 

Taylor is having a great season, but he's not having an otherworldly season, and that is what it takes for a RB to deserve the award. That said, every year a RB won the award since 2005(Peterson, Tomlinson, Alexander) I thought a QB was more deserving. In my opinion, Manning should have won in 2005 and 2006, but people were sick of voting for him after winning in 2003 and 2004. I also would have argued both Manning and Rodgers over Peterson in 2012. The last RB who won, who actually deserved it on my opinion was Faulk in 2000. Faulk was otherworldly that season, having 1359-18 at 5.4 YPC rushing, while having 81-830-8 receiving, in only 14 games. 

If we really want to argue a non-QB, I think Cooper Kupp has a better case than Taylor, at least at the moment. 

Since Stafford and Mahomes were listed, I'd like to make an under the radar case for Joe Burrow. I think he's been better than either of those guys this season. Burrow is 6th in passer rating, 4th in completion percentage, and 2nd in YPA, and has a much worse OL than any of these other QBs. 

How so? Genuinely curious what the argument is outside of the stretch of continuous games with a TD? He’s nowhere near the single season rushing record or TD record. The last RB to win rushed for over 2k yards in a season and that couldn’t even get Henry the MVP last year.

He’s had an great/awesome fantasy stretch, but for a non-QB to really have a case they need to do something almost historic.

His stats (mainly yds and TDs) are right in the ballpark of where Peterson, Tomlinson, and Alexander were when they won MVP.

Kupp over Taylor for opoy. Kupp is on pace for 1947 receiving yards, which would be just a few yards short of the NFL record.  If they're that close in weeks 17 and 18, they'll give him a shot at history. He has a shot at 2000 yards and if he gets that he's MVP no question.  Taylor could obviously go off too, but he'd need to in order to keep pace.  

Brady has first crack at MVP if he plays well without all his weapons.  He fell back to the pack though so it's really up to how he plays.  Mahomes may overtake Rodgers and Co if his strong play continues and the chiefs win the 1 seed.  I think he's arguably the favorite right now given his recent surge.  

I think it's Brady or Mahomes to win.  Rodgers won't get the votes after the vaccination issue in October.  Lot of the voters are salty Rodgers lied to them.  Would love to see Taylor get it but this is such a QB league. If James White didn't win the Super Bowl LI MVP over Brady then I don't see Taylor knocking out one of the QBs.

My top 3: Kupp,  Taylor, Rodgers

likely to win: mahomes, Brady, Rodgers (pipes May be right about voters being upset with AR)

Ghost Rider said:
I think it is neck and neck between Rodgers and Taylor. I would give it to Taylor, but I don't see the voters giving it to a RB this season. 
Current Vegas Odds:

Brady/Rodgers neck and neck

Mahomes and Taylor are tied for a very distant third.

Would be shocked if it's not Brady/Rodgers.

I voted for Taylor, but JimmyG quietly deserves a spot on this list. If the defense didn’t give up the booty with 37 seconds left against GB, he’d have this raggedy team at 9 wins. 

I voted for Taylor, but JimmyG quietly deserves a spot on this list. If the defense didn’t give up the booty with 37 seconds left against GB, he’d have this raggedy team at 9 wins. 
Interesting call. JG isn’t top 10 in any major stat (he’s there in rating 🤷), has a worse INT rate than Daniel Jones and baker mayfield, more INTs in fewer games than Carson Wentz… 🤔

Mahomes won't win it nor does he deserve to win it. He may have numbers at the end of the year but the eye test doesn't do it for me.

That leaves Rodgers, Brady, and Taylor.

I want Taylor to win it. That team would be nowhere if he wasn't on that roster. That dude is carrying that team on his back on offense. If that doesn't say MVP then I don't know what does.

Interesting call. JG isn’t top 10 in any major stat (he’s there in rating 🤷), has a worse INT rate than Daniel Jones and baker mayfield, more INTs in fewer games than Carson Wentz… 🤔
And yet the game-winning drives are there. 

He’s arguably been the Niners most valuable player. They wouldn’t have 8 wins  without him.

it’s not the “leading the league in X number of categories” award. It’s the MVP. 

He’s arguably been the Niners most valuable player. They wouldn’t have 8 wins  without him.

it’s not the “leading the league in X number of categories” award. It’s the MVP. 
Sure. That’s why it’s interesting and not ridiculous. 
I still don’t think he gets votes but he might deserve them. 

Pretty sure the Bills wouldn't have 4 wins without Josh Allen. While that is a good measure of value relative to one's team, it's not really what the criteria for this award has become.

Pretty sure the Bills wouldn't have 4 wins without Josh Allen. While that is a good measure of value relative to one's team, it's not really what the criteria for this award has become.
True.

how about Deebo? Playing WR & RB, scoring TDs in bunches, he has been a monster. 

I get Taylor is having a great year, but even with an extra game in the season, he’s not going to set any records unless he goes nuts down the stretch. That likely means a QB with big numbers from  one of the teams with a top record. Still think Brady is leading, as he is putting up crazy numbers at his advanced age. 

Mahomes won't win it nor does he deserve to win it. He may have numbers at the end of the year but the eye test doesn't do it for me.

That leaves Rodgers, Brady, and Taylor.

I want Taylor to win it. That team would be nowhere if he wasn't on that roster. That dude is carrying that team on his back on offense. If that doesn't say MVP then I don't know what does.

True.

how about Deebo? Playing WR & RB, scoring TDs in bunches, he has been a monster. 
I've never figured out why people take the award for its literal name and always start this "he's the most valuable to his team, they'd be nothing without him"

This has never, isn't, and will never be the criteria for the award. 

It goes to a QB almost every time, so these constant RB wishes also get old.  Sure it's fun for people to talk about, but let's discuss the reality here.  And the Reality is that it's going to Brady or Rodgers.  No one else has a chance.

I think there is a "recency bias" in this, to say what happens in the second half of the season carries more weight for many (myself included) in considering this award.  What Sir James Taylor is doing right now is simply phenomenal (as was Derrick Henry last year and before getting injured this year). Kupp deserves mention as well. But while he is a master technician and putting up incredible stats, I don't see his impact or the "emotion" that he elicits from me (as a fan) as anywhere near that of Taylor as this season winds down. 

I don't see any of these three winning but with every game taking on more importance, Taylor putting his team on his back, relegating the qb position in the qb-passing-centric NFL of today to near irrelevancy trumps anything that any qb has done this season. He gets my vote. Unfortunately for him, my vote doesn't count.  ;)

In the real world, we are looking at a qb.  As others have said, Mahomes has not passed the "eye test" for mvp in my opinion - regardless of what his stats are.  And to me, Brady has not either although he comes close.  Of the three qbs being mentioned, I'd have to give my vote to Rodgers as I think he has most consistently produced when he needed to, game by game.

Would love to see Taylor get it and he’s been the best player at his position all year. But, in terms of value, qbs are just inherently more valuable. So, I think it’s rodgers or Brady. 

I've never figured out why people take the award for its literal name and always start this "he's the most valuable to his team, they'd be nothing without him"

This has never, isn't, and will never be the criteria for the award. 

It goes to a QB almost every time, so these constant RB wishes also get old.  Sure it's fun for people to talk about, but let's discuss the reality here.  And the Reality is that it's going to Brady or Rodgers.  No one else has a chance.
Get off of my lawn! And turn down that rap & roll! 

Aaron Rodgers is playing at his usual "in the discussion for  one of the greatest to ever play the game levels" throwing the ball to Davante Adams and a bunch of spares on a team with the best record in the league. How is he not the current slam dunk MVP?

Aaron Rodgers is playing at his usual "in the discussion for  one of the greatest to ever play the game levels" throwing the ball to Davante Adams and a bunch of spares on a team with the best record in the league. How is he not the current slam dunk MVP?
Because #'s and team record are what matter and Brady is currently neck and neck with him in those departments.

Things are swinging Aarons way though for sure.

haha not at all.  I just don't understand why people still don't get how the award is given out.
Oh I know. And my posts in here are tongue-in-cheek, because I actually do understand it. 

They need to change the name to "statistically best QB on a winning team" because that's who always seems to get it. If we're being honest here, Micah Parsons should be the front runner for both DPOY & MVP.

Oh I know. And my posts in here are tongue-in-cheek, because I actually do understand it. 

They need to change the name to "statistically best QB on a winning team" because that's who always seems to get it. If we're being honest here, Micah Parsons should be the front runner for both DPOY & MVP.
I don't think the name really matters though.  It's like that in all sports.  NBA is the same... numbers and team record.

Parson's front runner for league MVP????  I think he's fantastic but c'mon haha.

It should be Derrick Henry as the conversation starter and then finish with whomever.

His pace, who the Titans defeated, how well he did despite a depleted line, how they've been since...start there.

Taylor was a distant second then. He's come to the forefront and idk if Henry cancels him some but Taylor is absolutely in the discussion.

Rodgers is the favorite on betting sites and I honestly don't know why TB12 isn't. If we're going with regulars and wins and...what makes this stale path waiver from the golden boy? (That's in his 40s)

Mahomes has clearly been great and not so great and their team has matched. I could see it but not a fan...he got his, not this year.

Micah Parsons should be a finalist and lose but a finalist. It's incredible what his presence has done for the Cowboys D. He'll get knocked by their CB and Bosa and Watt and Donald and...but you're lying if you thought the Cowboys had a good D before he arrived. I expect them to lose in the playoffs but that's a frightening team now capable of big plays on all three units. They might be the favorite in 2022.

I hope Taylor wins it but I'll yawn when Rodgers does

Would love to see Taylor get it and he’s been the best player at his position all year. But, in terms of value, qbs are just inherently more valuable. So, I think it’s rodgers or Brady. 

All year? I’d argue Henry easily was the best RB for the first stretch of the season before he got injured. Henry had 10 TD’s in the first 6 games. Would have been nice to see them both competing right now but I think Henry would have the edge in many categories due to his fast start. Taylor came out slow and even had a couple of bad games early on. It’s a big part of why he’s not likely to challenge any records despite an extra game.

Losing twice to SEA throwing 3 TDs to 3 INTs is what has them with only 1 win in the division and not at 10 wins. If you're going to place someone on that list, it's Kittle. Because he gives the 49ers the best chance to win.

Quarterbacks are not just the most important player for their team, they are the most dominant in the league. Teams go as their quarterbacks go. The more dominant the quarterback is, the more dominant the team is. You'll have a few teams where the defense is studly and the quarterback not so much, but season in and season out it's the quarterback who is at the elite level that keeps their team competitive.

It's a quarterback driven league, but for say a defensive player, receiver, or a running back to receive that honor means they had a helluva "one for the ages" season. Which is a good thing.

Looking at the final three games left for Rodgers, Mahomes, and Brady, Mahomes has the toughest three games left. It could be an arms race between Rodgers and Brady.

TB - CAR, NYJ, CAR

GB - CLE, MIN, DET

KC - PIT, CIN, DEN

Back end favors Brady the most as far as the potential for stats. Should be a fun race to watch.

His stats (mainly yds and TDs) are right in the ballpark of where Peterson, Tomlinson, and Alexander were when they won MVP.
Can’t say I agree, Taylor may end up with similar or more rushing yardage by the end of the season but both Alexander (27) and LT (28) broke the rushing TD records their MVP years. Taylor “only” has 17 TD’s so far so will be tough to get there with 3 games left.

Taylor has more TD’s than ADP did his MVP year but will have to have 3 more monster games to close out the season to hit nearly 2,100 rushing yards like ADP did (currently at 1,518.)

Because #'s and team record are what matter and Brady is currently neck and neck with him in those departments.

Yea but Rodgers has better numbers with a worse supporting cast and  a better record then Tampa so not sure what the argument is for Brady.

Yea but Rodgers has better numbers with a worse supporting cast and  a better record then Tampa so not sure what the argument is for Brady.
Supporting cast is irrelevant.  It's about numbers and record.  Prior to this week Brady was above.  Now they are very close.

Brady:  4348 Yards, 36 Tds, 11 Ints, 10-4

Rodgers:  3487 Yards, 30 Tds, 4 Ints, 11-3

They each win 2 categories.  It's definitely close.  And Vegas agrees since some sites have Tom above and some have Aaron above.

Hs lied and ate a fine for for breaking Covid protocol.  If it's close, voters will defer to the guy their age kicking butt.

Rodgers seems poised to keep pushing along the path and Brady is now missing some key players.  It's Rodgers' to lose.  But my hope is that Brady turns it back on and gets the votes.

Users who are viewing this thread