What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 IDP Stashes (1 Viewer)

Flying Elvis

Footballguy
It's that time of year. We are a waiver run or two away from the final week. For some leagues, that means shutting down add/drop functionality for a while. Who are you stashing as an end of bench player that may inherit a bigger role next year?

Going very deep, I'm looking to grab Myles Bryant in NE. He's listed as a DB on the roster (same as Kyle Dugger) and has both Phillips (S) and Jackson (CB) set to hit FA and vacate considerably large roles. Definite deep dive as a potential hybrid S/CB role next year. If he keeps his CB designation it would make for a nice upside with more tackle opportunity than most CBs.

In an IDP dynasty league, I drafted Dayo Odeyinbo, and he’s sat on my taxi squad all year.  Just picked up Joseph Ossai, as I had the room.  Hopefully one, or both, show enough in preseason to make my roster next year. 

It's that time of year. We are a waiver run or two away from the final week. For some leagues, that means shutting down add/drop functionality for a while. Who are you stashing as an end of bench player that may inherit a bigger role next year?

Going very deep, I'm looking to grab Myles Bryant in NE. He's listed as a DB on the roster (same as Kyle Dugger) and has both Phillips (S) and Jackson (CB) set to hit FA and vacate considerably large roles. Definite deep dive as a potential hybrid S/CB role next year. If he keeps his CB designation it would make for a nice upside with more tackle opportunity than most CBs.
I typically stay away from DB stashes as you can always find startable ones and I don't like to clog valuable roster spots with DB's.  Just my preference. 

ETA:  Great thread idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned in some of the other threads if Zaven Collins or Derrick Barnes are out their on your waivers I would definitely pick them up as stashes for next year.  I think Collins will be similar to the trajectory of Simmons and be an every down LB next year.  Barnes is just a gut feel.  I have him everywhere and have held even with his disappointing year.  I think he will be a solid IDP LB'er next year.

As a total speculative add you can get Rashaan Evans and hope he changes teams and they actually use him properly.  In the right system he could be good and at little cost it might be worth it.  Plus you will know soon enough if that will be possible so an easy cut if you have a different flavor of the month.

Kpassagnon, Tanoh NOS DE - here is a guy that started out hot with 4 sacks in 7 games and then got injured.  He has the tools and just needs the chance.  He may have been forgotten due to his injury and is worth a stash if you need DL help.  

In DT required leagues I would jump on Neville Gallimore (Dal).  He has been back the last two weeks and has 1.5 sacks and been very disruptive.  With everyone healthy Dallas pass rush and DL is very tough to play against and Gallimore is a big part of that. 

Alexander Johnson (Den) has been out most of the year but started off well.  He has done it before but maybe your league dropped him due to the injury.  Worth an add if he is out there.

I was just coming to this forum to see if I could spark this conversation so glad to see some recommendations and a thread already here for this.

• I currently have Ryan Neal (S, Seattle) and he could be a sneaky play. Adams will surely be back, but Neal is a FA. He might get the chance to start elsewhere or he might disappear.
  • Tyson Campbell (CB, Jacksonville) has seemed to come on and stabilize later in the year as a rookie.
  • Elijah Molden (CB, Tennessee) was a name buzzed in preseason and I had him for a while this season that has recently sputtered a bit, but showed he could produce well in the middle of the season.
  • Zach Allen (DL, Arizona) has done well especially since JJ Watt went down with injury. He's only getting 4-5 tackles per week, but throwing in a sack or fumble recovery here and there.

Some additions I made heading into the offseason:

• Search for Tuitt and Carl Lawson - some good players got dropped with all the Covid scrambling.  Romeo Okwara might qualify here.  Check for Dre Greenlaw in case he gets his job back from Al-Shaair.  I also found AJ Johnson and added him in case things revert back to what they were in Denver at the beginning of the season.  Khari Willis might also be on waivers in some leagues since he missed so much time.
  • Added back Darrell Taylor on a couple of teams - everyone's old in Seattle, he could get more snaps.
  • Julian Okwara?  I don't know.
  • I stashed Jacob Phillips but fully expect to drop him.
  • Maybe Hamsah Nasirildeen completes the switch to LB and starts next to Mosley.
  • If Davion Taylor is out there, I'd grab him.
  • I saw Eric Murray dropped in a league last week and snagged him. I don't know what Houston looks like going forward but he was useful this season after he became the starter.
  • Ashtyn Davis, Brandon Jones, and Divine Deablo are on most of my teams... if any of them are available, I'd grab them.  Deablo could get the position switch, but might be a useful LB - we'll see what the new regime thinks.
  • Jaylinn Hawkins (again) - Duron Harmon was only on a 1-year contract.
  • I found Grant Delpit on waivers... it looks like Ronnie Harrison is a free agent this summer, Delpit should slot in as the main SS.
  • Rayshawn Jenkins was pretty useful at times this season and fell out on waivers in two of my leagues during the playoffs.

The other half of this question for me is always which players to drop... who was useful this season but won't be next season, and should be replaced?

• Jonathan Greenard - is he good? Do they give him more snaps? Age and production look awesome, but snaps don't.
  • Charles Harris - we've all been burned before, is this real?
  • Dawuane Smoot - useful for a chunk of the season, but he's a little old and wasn't that useful.
  • Tae Crowder - Does he see the field with Martinez back next season?  Probably not since they play so much 1LB.
  • Damien Wilson - seems like the Jags need some LBs.
  • Quincy Williams - never seems to be anyone's first choice, does he get replaced as usual?
  • Baron Browning - was he good enough to replace the old injured guys?
  • Alex Anzalone - only good due to snaps, but I couldn't tell if he got supplanted late in the season or if it was just injuries.
  • Jermaine Carter - wasn't good in IDP, and got fewer snaps near the end... I'm dropping him.
  • Kyzir White - seems like he remains useful this time since Murray is flopping.
  • Azeez Al-Shaair - does Greenlaw get his job back next season?
  • David Long - weird that he moved ahead of their bigger names, I guess we assume it sticks.
  • Bonus: JPP and Brandon Graham - not useful this season, old, droppable?

No way I get through every team, but I'm gonna analyze as many as I can as free time opens. Let's start with my comfort zone...

Cleveland Browns

I think Ward gets extended so when that happens the top 4 corners are locked in (Ward, Newsome, Hill, and Greedy) with Johnson and Delpit at safety. The key to Delpit's path to a 100% role is MJ Stewart. The Browns don't pay for depth, but I don't think he'll have a FA market. Get him back with LeCounte and I think the only add will be a camp battle between misc vet and a day 3 pick/UDFA. But here's the problem...that scenario tells me the Browns don't see Delpit as a box safety. Woods wants safeties that can play all over the field to better disguise coverage, so while Delpit being penciled into a 100% role seems like a good thing on the surface it may not be.

This Ronnie Harrison/Delpit dynamic also matters at LB. If Harrison or a Harrison equivalent is brought in then that is bad news for Jacob Phillips. However, if the above scenario plays out and the Browns give Delpit the path to a 100% role then Phillips quickly becomes (potentially!) a strong keeper. Walker is a free agent and JOK is gonna be a 100%er, but when the Browns go 6 DB he can serve as one of them. That gives Phillips an opportunity to play LB in that package. He may not be a 100%er every week, but in this scenario I think his low end is 80some%. If the Browns don't retain Walker (this would be bad for both him and Phillips) then they'll replace him, but I don't think it will be with a $4m player like Walker. Because...

...the Browns financial resources on defense this offseason need to go to the DL. Technically Garrett, Elliott, and Tagiai are the only ones under contract. Odenigbo (RFA) and McDowell (EFRA) will likely be retained, but like Eliott and Tagiai they're role players. At least 3 bodies need brought in and since this is a team inside a window at least one of them will be a veteran starter. That'll eat a large chunk of their budget given all the work that needs done on the other side of the ball.

How to read all of this for our game's purposes?

Priority stash - Jacob Phillips, probability may be low but there is a very clear path 

Hold - Anthony Walker, but hope he goes elsewhere

Secondary stash - Ronnie Harrison, because if he ends up somewhere with a 100% role it'll be in the box 

Not a prioritty, but if you have space - Grant Delpit, he has pass rush ability but is that enough to offset playing a meaningful amount of deep safety?

Thoughts on Jamin Davis/Devin Bush going forward?  

Both have been incredibly disappointing this season.  I figure Davis maybe needs another year to figure it out.  Bush seems to have fallen off a cliff after the injury.  

Cincinnati Bengals

This is an interesting unit. The Bengals have quite a bit of cap space and are clearly in a window, but if the notoriously cheap Bengals open up their wallet it may not go very far.

Hubbard, Reader, Ogunjobi, and Hendrickson represent a quality starting 4 with BJ Hill and Cameron Sample providing quality depth. Ogunjobi and Hill need re-signed  ($10m total?) though.

A similar situation is apparent on the back end. With Eli Apple's resurgence they are 4 deep at CB, but will he be retained? Waynes, Awuzie, and Hilton are eating up $25m and are all under contract next season. Waynes v Apple will be an interesting situation to follow this winter, but for this exercise it doesn't really matter - only one of them will be back. The more interesting subject is at safety - Vonn Bell will be back for another season, but will Jesse Bates? Given the lack of in-house depth the franchise tag ($11m?) seems inevitable. Since this team does not put three safeties on the field a stash seems like a non-starter.

And all of that is why I find this LB situation interesting. I think this team is going to devote more resources to the OL (and TE?) than they will the defense. It'll take more than a third of their space to shore up DL and DB, so I think it's unlikely they devote much to LB. They rarely go to any 6 DB alignments, so there is room for 2 LB's in this unit. Logan Wilson is clearly one guy, but is Germaine Pratt the other? He was already a part time player and his share was cut even more to open the season. Since being thrust into full time duty due to attrition he's not played well. With him heading into his walk year and Markus Bailey playing well enough I think the top 4 of this group this year will be the top 4 next year. But will Pratt still be the #2?

Secondary stash - Akeem Davis-Gaither, I anticipate a camp battle between him and Pratt. ADG's role was increasing before his injury, so I think he'll be given a fair shot. Stashing him probably means committing to him through September though. I think it's unlikely a positive outcome becomes clear before then. That's not a fit in every league, so decision make accordingly.

New Orleans Saints

Where the contracts are made up and the salary cap doesn't matter. But for this exercise's sake, let's assume they don't add anyone > minimum and somehow find a way to retain all currently under contract. They shouldn't. But they probably will. Cause it's the Saints. Anyway...

Kpass was mentioned upstream, but I think Payton Turner is the more interesting name. Kpass is a good rotational DE, but Turner is the one that could develop into something much more. He'll require patience though. Marcus Davenport finally (mostly) stayed healthy and has earned the starting role opposite Cam Jordan, but the latter will be 33 years old, the former a free agent come 2023, and this defense routinely uses 3+ DE's. Turner may not play enough early on to earn deployment, but with performance that will change as the season progresses and especially come 2023.

Credit where credit is due if this team figures out a way to re-sign Marcus Williams, but assuming they don't then this team can't play many 6 DB alignments. Do they even have the personnel to go 5 deep? Obviously they do, but the point I'm making is as is if they do then it isn't going to be a good unit. This makes CJ Gardner-Johnson a 100%er by default, so if he's out there then add him. And this spills over to LB as well.

This team only supported 1 full time LB most of this season, but that may not be on the table in 2022 given the above. Kwon Alexander's in-season emergence showed that even in a < 100% role another LB can be playable within this unit, but with his pending free agency and a DB room lacking bodies there is a crystal clear path for Pete Werner. The only other internal candidate is Zach Baun who has struggled and never had the skill set of a traditional LB anyway. 

I get that Turner, CGJ, and Werner are not available in every league, but if they are then fix it. If this team adds bodies during the offseason it'll be on the other side of the ball. If they aren't playing and a vet not currently on the roster is then it's their own fault.

Camryn Bynum and Caden Sterns are poised to take over starting roles on teams that funnel points to S’s. 

Any OLB type, who might move to that EDGE spot.

Pretty much any move I make regarding the front 7 this offseason is going to be about acquiring these type of players.  Veterans as well. Harold Landry, Leonard Floyd, Matt Judon......

This is my favorite topic of the year.  This is huge for me in all of my IDP leagues.  I'm in two 16 tem 55+ man rosters.  So guys like Zaven Collins/Derrick Barnes/AJ Johnson are owned.  I need to go deeper.  I have guys like Zach Allen ARI, The minny DEs...Patrick Jones, Janarius Robinson, Wonnum on my rosters.  Scooping up guys like Ossai now as well.  Mykal Walker seems to be a favorite already with a spot likely opening up for him.  He's produced when he's had the chance.  

Cody Barton is a name I'm not seeing anywhere on any list.  There is a real good chance Seattle moves Russ for picks and starts a new youth movement.  Bobby Wagner could very well be the next to follow Russ out of Seattle.  Barton would likely be his replacement.  He just had a solid game filling in.  I have to do more research on who is going to be free agents this upcoming year.  That's always big.  I've gotten countless IDP starters the following year from doing this planning.

This is my favorite topic of the year.  This is huge for me in all of my IDP leagues.  I'm in two 16 tem 55+ man rosters.  So guys like Zaven Collins/Derrick Barnes/AJ Johnson are owned.  I need to go deeper.  I have guys like Zach Allen ARI, The minny DEs...Patrick Jones, Janarius Robinson, Wonnum on my rosters.  Scooping up guys like Ossai now as well.  Mykal Walker seems to be a favorite already with a spot likely opening up for him.  He's produced when he's had the chance.  

Cody Barton is a name I'm not seeing anywhere on any list.  There is a real good chance Seattle moves Russ for picks and starts a new youth movement.  Bobby Wagner could very well be the next to follow Russ out of Seattle.  Barton would likely be his replacement.  He just had a solid game filling in.  I have to do more research on who is going to be free agents this upcoming year.  That's always big.  I've gotten countless IDP starters the following year from doing this planning.
Please share when you do the free agent search.

I didn't realize Oluokon is a free agent... not good for him.
Yes, he is. 2022 is Deion Jones's out year according to Spotrac, so there's that, too. I was thinking of adding Walker, but I think our players are locked until RFA. Maybe I'll have to check that. 

Yes, he is. 2022 is Deion Jones's out year according to Spotrac, so there's that, too. I was thinking of adding Walker, but I think our players are locked until RFA. Maybe I'll have to check that. 
Yeah, Zealots are locked until RFA. It’s why I’m so disappointed that we don’t get any offseason rankings until after things lock down.

Next up: every league loses one manager and the new guy picks up all the free agents who emerged in week 18 through the playoffs.

Yeah, Zealots are locked until RFA. It’s why I’m so disappointed that we don’t get any offseason rankings until after things lock down.

Next up: every league loses one manager and the new guy picks up all the free agents who emerged in week 18 through the playoffs.
Argh. We already lost one of ours. How many can a league lose, anyway? 

We ended up losing two. Replacement owner draft may happen in that case.

What is that? 

Ah, never mind. I looked in the rules document. They pool the players from the teams and draft from there. That'll be interesting. 

What is that? 
Two new owners can have a draft selecting from in the two vacated franchises, as well as available free agents, if an election is made for that.

Alternative could just be they just have a replacement waivers draft, where they keep rosters intact and just claim free agents.

...On a related note, I'll take PMs from any FBGs interested in joining a Zealots league that I commish.

How does RFA work in Zealots  leagues? Something I have thought adding to the leagues I commish but wasn’t  sure the best was to do it.

I stashed Rasheem Green, Derrick Barnes, and Pete Werner.   I wanted to keep Josh Sweat, DJ Wonnum, Rashan Gary, and Trevis Gipson, but ended up having to cut them to pick up Covid Playoff Insurance for my starters.

What do you think of Sweat? I've rostered him for the past two years on and off and can't really get a grip on the whole situation. 
He has shown glimpses and finished strong down the stretch with 2.5 sacks in his last two games played.  Then he got hurt and missed the playoffs.  I think he is a nice hold (unless you want to sell him cheap to me...hahah)

He has shown glimpses and finished strong down the stretch with 2.5 sacks in his last two games played.  Then he got hurt and missed the playoffs.  I think he is a nice hold (unless you want to sell him cheap to me...hahah)
Thanks, Gally. I know he finished strong and got hurt, and I'm wondering how that projects going forward. 

What's cheap? 

What's cheap? 
A player at another position (that I have more depth in) that might have similar situations or a 2023 pick of some sort.  I really haven't looked at who my 40 will be but I would have to think I would put Sweat in there given the chance

A player at another position (that I have more depth in) that might have similar situations or a 2023 pick of some sort.  I really haven't looked at who my 40 will be but I would have to think I would put Sweat in there given the chance
So you mean like a 2023 1st?!  :excited:

JK. We can take it to PMs if you want to look at your roster sometime in the future. 

The key to Delpit's path to a 100% role is MJ Stewart. The Browns don't pay for depth, but I don't think he'll have a FA market. Get him back with LeCounte and I think the only add will be a camp battle between misc vet and a day 3 pick/UDFA. But here's the problem...that scenario tells me the Browns don't see Delpit as a box safety. Woods wants safeties that can play all over the field to better disguise coverage, so while Delpit being penciled into a 100% role seems like a good thing on the surface it may not be.

This Ronnie Harrison/Delpit dynamic also matters at LB. If Harrison or a Harrison equivalent is brought in then that is bad news for Jacob Phillips. However, if the above scenario plays out and the Browns give Delpit the path to a 100% role then Phillips quickly becomes (potentially!) a strong keeper.
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Grant Delpit should be 100% recovered from his Achilles' injury suffered his rookie year. Should look good.

He's got superstar talent.

-----------------------------

He was ranked as the top DB and a top-ten talent before the draft.  The injury set him back a full year so last year he was 'basically' a rookie trying to learn as Woods was trying to find 'roles' for JOK early-on.  By the time Grant came back 'somewhat' healthy he had to work through rust and figure things out.

He looked a lot like JOK and they are predicting big things for JOK this year.  Grant has flown under the  radar IMHO.  

Projecting upside, he 'could' be a steal this year.

Related: About to make sure Nick Cross is rostered in all my leagues.
Damn, you guys publicly announced what I just did in my league and beat me to it by hours. Sure wish I'd bid on him when I wanted to about a week ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread