What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 Heavy Metal and glam rock acts from the MTV era - it's still real to me (1 Viewer)

plinko

Footballguy
Spotify playlist

1. Mötley Crüe
2. Ozzy Osbourne
3. Metallica
4. Iron Maiden
5. Ronnie James Dio
6. Guns N' Roses
7. Bon Jovi 
8. Def Leppard
9. Megadeth
10. Judas Priest  
11. Slayer
12. Van Halen / DLR 
13. Ratt
14. Scorpions
15. Queensrÿche
16. Tesla
17. L.A. Guns
18. Dokken 
19. Skid Row
20. Whitesnake 
21. Alice Cooper 
22. Poison
23. Quiet Riot 
24. Cinderella
25. White Lion

26. AC/DC
27. Anthrax / S.O.D.
28. Motorhead
29. Lita Ford
30. Aerosmith
31. Living Colour
32. The Cult
33. Metal Church
34. Pantera
35. VVI / Slaughter
36. KISS
37. Faster #####cat
38. Europe
39. Great White
40. Y&T
41. Warrant
42. Extreme
43. Stryper
44. Winger
45. Kix
46. Bulletboys
47. Junkyard
48. Dangerous Toys
49. Enuff Z'Nuff
50. Twisted Sister

51. Hanoi Rocks
52. Danzig
53. Candlebox
54. Yngwie Malmsteen 
55. Journey / HSAS / Bad English
56. Testament 
57. Savatage
58. W.A.S.P. 
59. Tora Tora
60. D.A.D.
61. Mr. Big / Racer X
62. Blue Murder
63. Manowar
64. Accept
65. Britny Fox
66. Bang Tango
67. Vain
68. Diamond Head / Tygers of Pan Tang / Riot
69. Dirty Looks
70. Kingdom Come
71. Badlands
72. Hurricane
73. Doro / Warlock
74. Joe Satriani
75. King's X

76. Last Crack
77. Loudness
78. Krokus
79. Thunder
80. Ugly Kid Joe
81. Autograph
82. Cheap Trick
83. Grim Reaper
84. Anvil
85. Smashed Gladys
88. Salty Dog
87. Sons of Angels
88. The Front
89. Nitro
90. Saigon Kick
91. Helloween
92. Giuffria / House of Lords
93. Bonham
94. Gorky Park
95. Black n' Blue
96. Vixen
97. Love/Hate
98. Merciful Fate / King Diamond
99. Nelson
100. Sea Hags

Last edited by a moderator:
GUNS AND ROSES IS NOT GLAM ROCK
For a band whose lead singer had [redacted's] exact tattoo on his arm, whose guitar player used the drummer's exact hat, and who re-released [redacted's] entire back catalog on Uzi/Suicide records as a project for his vanity label (I think the only thing to come from the label), that sure is a bold statement. 

[Redacted] was out and out glam as glam got. [Redacted 2 - not Guns N' Roses] stole their drag look when they converted from leather in the early eighties. 

I went to a concert last night, got wasted, came home and poured a glass of water onto my laptop

Anyone know of good deals on a decent windows lappie?

So the target here is glam / hair metal, sure.  But.. first of all, I don't think even I could do 100 pure hair metal acts

Back then, it was kinda all one scene man, it was all metal.  So basically, my rule is, if they were in Metal Edge magazine, and Circus and Kerrang! .. they're fair game

Tough to rate a Poison vs. a Slayer, for sure, lets just make a big ### list and have some fun

Let us begin with a rundown of acts who didn't make the cut, this should provide a good idea of the tent size we're dealing with here

Trixter, Danger Danger, XYZ, Hericane Alice, Electric Boys, Pretty Boy Floyd -- sorry fellas. not good or big enough

Jackyl, Firehouse -- late era garbage, still had their day 

Lizzie Borden, Exodus -- Exodus was hard to take out, but I never really got into them and don't have much to say anyway

T.S.O.L. --  Punk goes glam.  Bad idea.  I still like Road of Gold though

Soundgarden, Alice In Chains. Mother Love Bone/Green River - Never really considered these. Still, AIC started out glam, MLB was 100% glam,  and first I heard of SG was a review of Louder than Love in a metal mag.

Damn Yankees / The Nuge -  Nah

Heart -- Influencers in the 70s, rebounded in the 80s and flirted with the whole look, had huge MTV pop hits and probably toured with some of these acts, but ultimately.. not metal

Billy Squier -- also an influencer, got canceled back in the day because of tight pants, was on my list for a while, but same as Heart, the sound isn't right

We'll see a few classic rock, AOR acts though

There will be an "I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT SO-AND-SO" moment and when it happens I'll let you know

For now, let's post one today since I'm at work, hung over,  using my old laptop from 1975 and it's doing all kinds of updates and ####

Gonna enlist my gb @rockaction to give us the full deets on these San Fran almost-weres.  It is a good record, sleazy, nice sound, RIYL Junkyard/LA Guns. I think Mike Clink was involved with this

100. Sea Hags

Half The Way Valley

Doghouse - Live in '89 

Cool hand cam bro

Jackyl, Firehouse -- late era garbage, still had their day 

Damn Yankees / The Nuge -  Nah

Billy Squier -- also an influencer, got canceled back in the day because of tight pants, was on my list for a while, but same as Heart, the sound isn't right

We'll see a few classic rock, AOR acts though

Jackyl would have made my list. That debut album I will still play from time to time and only feel a little bit dirty about it. Get away from The Lumberjack and She Loves My ####, and there are some good songs that don't sound written by a 14 yo.

Have no problem with Damn Yankees not being on the list, but man, that damn song was everywhere for a year or more.

Does anyone wish that MTV didn't exist more than Squier? "Rock Me Tonight" will always be a guilty pleasure.

There will be an "I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT SO-AND-SO" moment and when it happens I'll let you know

For now, let's post one today since I'm at work, hung over,  using my old laptop from 1975 and it's doing all kinds of updates and ####

Gonna enlist my gb @rockaction to give us the full deets on these San Fran almost-weres.  It is a good record, sleazy, nice sound, RIYL Junkyard/LA Guns. I think Mike Clink was involved with this

100. Sea Hags

Half The Way Valley

Doghouse - Live in '89 

Cool hand cam bro
Thanks for the shout. All I know is what you do, plus the album from memory. I remember that the guitar player was left handed. And that the first track is easily the standout. I've definitely drafted these guys before in music drafts. You know who would know about them and would be prime for this thread? @JZillawould have the haps. 

Just read a blurb on them. Typical stuff. Problems with management, drug abuse, one member quit the band on tour, one died in 1991 of drugs, presumably.  I'm not sure how much spotlighting you want to do, but one wound up with Stephen Pearcy of Ratt as his guitar player, the drummer Adam Maples played for G N' Roses briefly. Ron Yocom, the aforementioned left-hander, went on to form an industrial/goth band called The of Power 3

I did own this on cassette back in '89 and never really made it past the first track, which I'll link to on Spotify. One listen to the album reaffirms what sixteen year-old rock thought. They suffered from a "hit" song in search of an album, and the sequencing is really off. There isn't another good rockin' track until Track 10, really. The songs immediately following "Half The Way Valley" are slowed-down blues numbers, great for the already converted, not so much for the fan in search of originality. 

But when they hit, they were really good. 

Here are Spotify links. If Spotify is not anybody's bag, just let me know and I'll try and find YouTube, but those links get broken in these threads and are frustrating for those late to the party. Anyway...these are the three immediate grabbers off of Sea Hags' eponymous. 

Half The Way Valley

Three's A Charm

Under The Night Stars 

I have to say that I think the direction so far is right on. The bands excluded, while potentially glam, or would-be metal magazine denizens, never quite really fit those scenes. Sea Hags did. They're a band that I'd want to see at 100. A completist's band, really. They were definitely on Headbanger's Ball and in the metal magazines at the time, a show I watched and magazines I purchased with abandon. 

Before anybody makes too much fun of that, the path to the New York Dolls and The Stooges at fifteen was paved by love of G N' R and bands adjacent and then desperately trying to be them by the time I was fourteen, so everyone has differing paths to music consciousness. 

But we're not here for awkward adolescence. We're here for almost no conscience-having, self-assured rockers of yore. Bring on the SLEEZ. 

:lol:

You sure those are two different things, GB?
Oh, don't think my tongue wasn't planted firmly in my cheek. I am a veteran of watching The Decline Of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years so many times that watching these guys couldn't help but leave me thinking they were just a few warped years from me. 

The dichotomy of marketing that movie for the metalheads, replete with soundtrack and everything designed to appeal to them, couldn't nip the bud of the thought that -- wow, these guys and gals are really dumb and/or addicts of something, all chasing lucre. But we embraced, we latched, us small town kids from CT pleading with their parents to take them to the Sunset Strip on vacation, much to their parents' chagrin. 

Oof. 

Thanks for the shout. All I know is what you do, plus the album from memory. I remember that the guitar player was left handed. And that the first track is easily the standout. I've definitely drafted these guys before in music drafts. You know who would know about them and would be prime for this thread? @JZillawould have the haps. 
shhh

it me

and i knew right away who you were talking about..

Oh, don't think my tongue wasn't planted firmly in my cheek. I am a veteran of watching The Decline Of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years so many times that watching these guys couldn't help but leave me thinking they were just a few warped years from me. 

The dichotomy of marketing that movie for the metalheads, replete with soundtrack and everything designed to appeal to them, couldn't nip the bud of the thought that -- wow, these guys and gals are really dumb and/or addicts of something, all chasing lucre. But we embraced, we latched, us small town kids from CT pleading with their parents to take them to the Sunset Strip on vacation, much to their parents' chagrin. 

Oof. 
Did you watch the recent Chris Holmes doc? Pretty cool, I can’t remember off the top of my head where it was streaming 

Did you watch the recent Chris Holmes doc? Pretty cool, I can’t remember off the top of my head where it was streaming 
I haven't. Chris Holmes and his band [redacted] were never tops on my list, really. His scenes from Decline were something else. His mother by the pool, while he was doing what he was doing. Oh my. 

I haven't. Chris Holmes and his band [redacted] were never tops on my list, really. His scenes from Decline were something else. His mother by the pool, while he was doing what he was doing. Oh my. 
That scene has stuck with me as one if the most “metal” things ever, and at the same time one of the most depressing. 

Jackyl would have made my list. That debut album I will still play from time to time and only feel a little bit dirty about it. Get away from The Lumberjack and She Loves My ####, and there are some good songs that don't sound written by a 14 yo.
Sorry I called them garbage. That dude was a maniac.. came around a few years too late maybe..

It’s called Mean Man.. on amazon I think. It was OK. He seems to be living his best life, which is nice. 

We’ll get to them.. not my faves either..

Sorry I called them garbage. That dude was a maniac.. came around a few years too late maybe..

No apologies necessary. I listen to a lot of garbage. Jesse James Dupree would probably say, "yeah, it's garbage, but it's my garbage and still putting food on my table."

Fun Jackyl fact: they are in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing 21 concerts in 24 hours. Drove around in a semi trailer that the side folded down and made a stage and all the equipment was set up inside the trailer and ready to go.  

Fun Jackyl fact: they are in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing 21 concerts in 24 hours. Drove around in a semi trailer that the side folded down and made a stage and all the equipment was set up inside the trailer and ready to go.  
I used to watch Headbanger's Ball and listen to hardcore/punk. As far as that went, it was always difficult to traverse each group that liked each musical scene in high school. Punks generally stayed with punks, metalheads, metal. (There was no real jock clique in our high school because all the jocks had left for boarding school, really, besides me.) I was generally cool with metalheads and punks where it all crossed over in the late eighties/early '90s. 

But when that Jackyl video came out, all the punks did was give me grief about my liking both. When it defaulted and the argument would sort of stop at a draw, they would run this imaginary jacksaw and go "rnnn rnnn rnnn rnnn rnnn rnnn/rnnn rnnn/rnnnn rnnnn" in that traditional blues chord progression. It was...no fun. They were winning the argument at that point. I would pretty much disavow metal in my college years and stick to punk. 

That was also unwise. 

99. Nelson

So, these choads make the cut, by virtue of two things: They had a #1 single, so there's no questioning their (brief) popularity, and they brought in Bobby Rock on drums, and I ####### love Bobby Rock.

One day Mark Slaughter and Dana Strum decided to effectively fire Vinnie Vincent from his own band.  VVI drummer Bobby Rock could have stayed on as well.. but he left for what he thought were greener pastures.  Oopsie, I guess?
But fear not, old Bob still tours the circuit with an act that's way up this list; he also sells health food concoctions and does all sorts of fitness and motivational stuff on the side.  I know all this because I get his weekly newsletter in my email. :thumbup:  

As for Nelson, well, sure, they're awful. They're phony.  They're wannabes.  Yet, even if you can't bring yourself to call them by any form of the metal genre.. the ingredients were there - slippery little guitar hooks, hard hitting drums - and they certainly made a cultural impact.  Their ridiculousness was a black mark on the whole scene.  There would be more black marks to come..

I Can Hardly Wait  
After The Rain

Tom Breihan's writeup on Love and Affection.  Tom Breihan's Number Ones series kicks ###..

99. Nelson

So, these choads make the cut, by virtue of two things: They had a #1 single, so there's no questioning their (brief) popularity, and they brought in Bobby Rock on drums, and I ####### love Bobby Rock.

Great opening line here.  Well done.

These ####### guys went platinum with this crap...crazy.

When I saw Skid Row open for GnR, I remember Sebastian Bach talking mountains of crap about Nelson.  Talk about punching down.

I'd forgotten all about Nelson, didn't expect to hear about them ever again. Hoping for some of my guilty pleasure bands to pop up soon, as well as the legit kick ### ones.

I must have watched this movie thirty times in the late 80s- early 90s. Pretty sure this scene is what got me to check out his band. I love them to this day, and they are one of the few acts left on my concert bucket list (I think they're still touring intermittently). I am confident they will make an appearance in this thread, and I will link the #### out of whatever tunes @plinko misses.

Users who are viewing this thread