What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Krista4's Beatles 1-25 List Thread! Count down will start Mon Feb 14 noon ET. Will take new lists til then... (1 Viewer)

rockaction said:
 It's easy and predictably punk rock to thumb one's nose at the hippie Beatles; it takes a little more honesty and wherewithal to take a different and less easy stance by saying that, honestly and not for ease's sake -- there are some really fine and innovative pop songs post-'65. 

i'd love to piggyback on this train of thought, glad RA dropped it up in here. 

i also popped the punk rock thumbing of the Fabs, but always remained a listener ... pose affected, and i guess i wore it. 

there were so many new sounds and bands and artists to discover and listen to - i didn't necessarily leave the Beatles, i just put them on hold for awhile. but, yeah, the whole KIBOSH on the bloated hippie #### was first and foremost ... there were tons of dinosaur acts/artists who deserved the right skewering, but i always felt the Fabs were sorta isolated from all that, seeing as how they had been broken up for a solid 6 years when Punk officially broke. 

- also the fact that their stint in Hamburg was FUNK. AS. PUCK. 

more punk than the Clash coulda ever hoped to be (yes, my favorite middle class whipping boys from the genre). no small wonder the greatest of 'em all, the Ramones, procured their name from one of McCartney's hotel guest aliases (Phil Ramone).

Johnny Ramone's two favorite bands were the Beatles and the Doors ... when asked why their debut concert was so short (14 minutes), Johnny replied "i saw the Beatles at Shea, and they played a half hour ... so i figured, if that's as long as they'll play, who are we to do any more than half that?"

Johnny Rotten loved to say he kicked original Pistols bassist Glen Matlock out the group because Matlock loved the Beatles  ... truth is he was booted because manager Malcolm McClaren needed the fabulous disaster that was Sid Vicious to be on board for the long awaited conquering of the USA - mission accomplished?

(rhetorical, that ^)

i have talked on this bored of Revolver being the first punk tinged album ever released ... hell, the opening track (Taxman) laid the groundwork for so much of the Jam and Buzzcocks sound (just to keep it in that '77 class, lest i list 1,539 other bands i gravitated to that had Revolver's fingerprints smeared all over them.)

and, ferchrissakes, i hate to spotlight, but take "Good Day Sunshine" and "Yellow Submarine" off the platter, and replace them with "Paperback Writer" & "Rain" and we're talking the unquestioned greatest album of all-time.  

you all know it. 

i loved their earlier/middle period so much, and it was unquestionably John's era ... Paul after Epstein passed, yes ... but John was top dog prior to - and John is my favorite, so there ya go. 

i have a hard time with the hippie ####, i always did ... but there are some tunes from that era that are among my favorites of theirs ... ya know, i never really put them front and center with the "real" hippie jagoffs of the era - guilt by association? dafuq?

but, i swear, every time i see Ringo flashing that peace sign i wanna throat punch a mutha - STOP. PLZ. 

back to the thumbing for punk's sake ... i had a lurvely lass whose looks i Svengalied into that of Siouxsie, and she was a hardcore chick - she was with me the day i purchased my first ever CDs ... three of 'em. 

The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys

The Misfits - Collection (or "20")

... and "Please, Please Me".

the first song my punk rawk girlie ever heard on CD was "ASK ME WHY".

🎵 I LOVE YOU, WOO WOO WOO WOO 🎵

#### YEAH! 

snowstorm drinking, it ain't just for breakfast. 

🍻🥃

i'd love to piggyback on this train of thought, glad RA dropped it up in here. 

i also popped the punk rock thumbing of the Fabs, but always remained a listener ... pose affected, and i guess i wore it. 

there were so many new sounds and bands and artists to discover and listen to - i didn't necessarily leave the Beatles, i just put them on hold for awhile. but, yeah, the whole KIBOSH on the bloated hippie #### was first and foremost ... there were tons of dinosaur acts/artists who deserved the right skewering, but i always felt the Fabs were sorta isolated from all that, seeing as how they had been broken up for a solid 6 years when Punk officially broke. 

- also the fact that their stint in Hamburg was FUNK. AS. PUCK. 

more punk than the Clash coulda ever hoped to be (yes, my favorite middle class whipping boys from the genre). no small wonder the greatest of 'em all, the Ramones, procured their name from one of McCartney's hotel guest aliases (Phil Ramone).

Johnny Ramone's two favorite bands were the Beatles and the Doors ... when asked why their debut concert was so short (14 minutes), Johnny replied "i saw the Beatles at Shea, and they played a half hour ... so i figured, if that's as long as they'll play, who are we to do any more than half that?"

Johnny Rotten loved to say he kicked original Pistols bassist Glen Matlock out the group because Matlock loved the Beatles  ... truth is he was booted because manager Malcolm McClaren needed the fabulous disaster that was Sid Vicious to be on board for the long awaited conquering of the USA - mission accomplished?

(rhetorical, that ^)

i have talked on this bored of Revolver being the first punk tinged album ever released ... hell, the opening track (Taxman) laid the groundwork for so much of the Jam and Buzzcocks sound (just to keep it in that '77 class, lest i list 1,539 other bands i gravitated to that had Revolver's fingerprints smeared all over them.)

and, ferchrissakes, i hate to spotlight, but take "Good Day Sunshine" and "Yellow Submarine" off the platter, and replace them with "Paperback Writer" & "Rain" and we're talking the unquestioned greatest album of all-time.  

you all know it. 

i loved their earlier/middle period so much, and it was unquestionably John's era ... Paul after Epstein passed, yes ... but John was top dog prior to - and John is my favorite, so there ya go. 

i have a hard time with the hippie ####, i always did ... but there are some tunes from that era that are among my favorites of theirs ... ya know, i never really put them front and center with the "real" hippie jagoffs of the era - guilt by association? dafuq?

but, i swear, every time i see Ringo flashing that peace sign i wanna throat punch a mutha - STOP. PLZ. 

back to the thumbing for punk's sake ... i had a lurvely lass whose looks i Svengalied into that of Siouxsie, and she was a hardcore chick - she was with me the day i purchased my first ever CDs ... three of 'em. 

The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys

The Misfits - Collection (or "20")

... and "Please, Please Me".

the first song my punk rawk girlie ever heard on CD was "ASK ME WHY".

🎵 I LOVE YOU, WOO WOO WOO WOO 🎵

#### YEAH! 

snowstorm drinking, it ain't just for breakfast. 

🍻🥃

Love, love, love this post and can't wait to hear more from you during the countdown.

I love the Ramones connection (by the way, Paul's pseudonym was "Paul Ramon," not "Phil Ramone") and, while I knew of their love for the Beatles, I hadn't heard that quote about the length of their first show.  Brilliant!

OH has a friend with a radio show, and he'd interviewed Tommy Ramone (RIP) several years back.  One question he asked Tommy was who his favorite drummer was...and then both Tommy and the radio guy at the same time said, "Other than Ringo, obviously."  

(I do tend to agree with you about Ringo's peace and love stuff, but I love Ringo too much to let it bother me.)

I like your reimagining of Revolver, even though I'm not as big a Paperback Writer fan as most people.  Rain is :chefskiss:.  Could we please also substitute something for Doctor Robert, though?

Krista mentioned "Boys" in her punk-as-hell post the other day.

It's on my list this go-round and I'm ashamed I didn't include it in my 2019 Top 25.

That song ####### raves. Every time I hear it, I love it more. They are already bat#### insane at the beginning of it, and amp up the EQ from there. 

NO ONE has ever rocked harder than the Beatles did on that record.

Krista mentioned "Boys" in her punk-as-hell post the other day.

It's on my list this go-round and I'm ashamed I didn't include it in my 2019 Top 25.

That song ####### raves. Every time I hear it, I love it more. They are already bat#### insane at the beginning of it, and amp up the EQ from there. 

NO ONE has ever rocked harder than the Beatles did on that record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2t9DIh4kMA

Here ya go my friend.

Nothing I love more this and last time than watching old, live videos.

Ok, I'm down to 26 - some of these last few cuts were harder on me than when my first born moved out of the house.
Try this

THIS ...this is the perfect example of the kind of heartless, unempathetic treatment drafters in this thread CONTINUE to endure.  I think it's pretty clear - even though you mapped out what "appeared to be" logical reasons for the extention for submissions - YOU ONLY DID IT TO PROLONG THE AGONY OF THE DRAFTERS!!!

this needs to be singular.

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
I love that you're opening to more of the mid-Beatles stuff at least.  Of course, it's because the 1965-66 years are by far my favorites, but I feel like despite surface differences we generally have a lot in musically common.  I'm going to be excited to see your new list.
I was going to discuss this point when I finally submit my list but for me, the early Beatles are what I think of when I think of The Beatles as a phenomenon.  Hard to explain to people how unique and impactful it was.  I absolutely HATE that people call them a boy band  but I get the comparison - but imagine the most popular boy band of all time and without social media.

Now, having said that - their best songs, for me, were after their early stuff.  I think my top 5 and top 10 will have much more a mixture of their mid to late stuff.  But I will probably have more early stuff than most in my 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS ...this is the perfect example of the kind of heartless, unempathetic treatment drafters in this thread CONTINUE to endure.  I think it's pretty clear - even though you mapped out what "appeared to be" logical reasons for the extention for submissions - YOU ONLY DID TO PROLONG THE AGONY OF THE DRAFTERS!!!

this needs to be singular.
May that agony make you say something stupid and get banned for a month on February 14th.  😄

Love, love, love this post and can't wait to hear more from you during the countdown.

👍

i believe i forwarded one of the first three lists to Getz - i have heard this catalog backward and forward thousands of times over the past 47 years - i know my favorites ... and i had very little trouble assembling the 25 - hope to participate more once it chugs along during the reveal.

I love the Ramones connection (by the way, Paul's pseudonym was "Paul Ramon," not "Phil Ramone") and, while I knew of their love for the Beatles, I hadn't heard that quote about the length of their first show.  Brilliant!

RAMON, YES 😎 ... and Paul, at that. 

Johnny used to allow that he showed up at Shea to chuck rocks at them, which kinda fits his Queens street urchin persona, but it was prolly more of the pose, as it belies the admiration he had for their talent and craft - he was always a fan ... he paid a ton of attention. 

as did Tommy, who was a true rock n' roll mensch, so no surprise he dug Ringo so much - and, on that note:

(I do tend to agree with you about Ringo's peace and love stuff, but I love Ringo too much to let it bother me.)

100% - love the guy, big MEH on the schtick. 

I like your reimagining of Revolver, even though I'm not as big a Paperback Writer fan as most people.  Rain is :chefskiss:.  Could we please also substitute something for Doctor Robert, though?

Doc Rob, as an homage to their LSD slipping dentist, has to stay as an artifact that commemorates that landmark trip, imo.

i say "Paperback Writer" because it's sonic as #### all - and i love the mix of having that crackling geetar in one ear - it's smokin', and, man, do i love me some butch Paul. he's as butchy butch of a butch on that song as ever. 

when i see the promo vids they did for that 45, both A & B sides, i feel i am seeing John at his apex, right on the cusp of Paul starting to really chip away.  i think it's their greatest ever single release - and those vids ... the lads never looked better. ever. 

sleek, smart, sharp, streamlined, chipped toof on Paul, the shades on Ringo & John - they looked absolutely ####in' amazing.  full. stop. 

i mentioned the Jam and Buzzcocks before, from the class of '77 ... and folks always source Oasis as the world's most successful "tribute" band.  fair. 

but i saw the blueprint for the Reid brothers (Jesus & Mary Chain) style and melodies take shape from that particular era, if not that 45.

sure, they drenched it in feedback, sped it thru a couple thousand hate machines, and blazed more blistering trips than any Deadhead could ever fathom ... but they were born in '66. 

their sophomore effort "Darklands" strips it back down, and we got another level of winning. 

PS - "The Man Who" by Travis is the greatest Beatle album released post the Fab Four dissolution. 

🍻

I was going to discuss this point when I finally submit my list but for me, the early Beatles are what I think of when I think of The Beatles as a phenomenon.  Hard to explain to people how unique and impactful it was.  I absolutely HATE that people call them a boy band  but I get the comparison - but imagine the most popular boy band of all time and without social media.

Now, having said that - their best songs, for me, were after their early stuff.  I think my top 5 and top 10 will have much more a mixture of their mid to late stuff.  But I will probably have more early stuff than most in my 25.

It took me a while longer to appreciate the early stuff, and it still suffers a bit in my rankings.  I think not having experienced it real-time is the issue for some of us.  Looking at it now, it's easy for us to forget how ground-breaking that sound was at the time.  I think I posted in the original thread about hearing Ozzy Osbourne say something along the lines that he went to bed the night before "She Loves You" was released, and when he got up the next day, the world had completely changed due to that song.

Anyone who says "boy band" w/r/t Beatles should be drawn and quartered, even based on the early records.

I absolutely HATE that people call them a boy band  but I get the comparison - but imagine the most popular boy band of all time and without social media.
:shock:   I have never heard The Beatles be called a boy band. When I think of boy bands, I think of a group of guys all singing together, none playing instruments, and they are performing choreographed moves.

Anyone who says "boy band" w/r/t Beatles should be drawn and quartered, even based on the early records.

yes ...drives me nuts. 

to qualify though ...I usually only hear this from people who are far removed from actually experiencing the kind of social and musical change these guys had on the world.

:shock:   I have never heard The Beatles be called a boy band
Back in the aughts, when people were making fun of the popularity of The Backstreet Boys and others like them, the rejoinder by music relativists was, "the Beatles were a boy band!" My personal opinion is that while they share some similarities in terms of audience and girlish pubescent reaction, the comparison should really stop there. It's not even a workable comparison. 

also the fact that their stint in Hamburg was FUNK. AS. PUCK. 
Maximum Rock N' Roll, the punk zine out of San Francisco, used to pay homage to the older rockers that predated punk. The Beatles never really got a shout. I was always amazed by that. Pre-'64 Beatles were punk as heck, and I regaled a Beatle fan or two with stories and comparisons from the era to punk and '76 or '77. That's really all punk was if you could get past its British fashion trappings, anyway -- it was a nihilist's return to rock n' roll roots. I'd argue that the Beatles, late as they were, embodied a rock n' roll spirit and songwriting that is frenetic and punk. 

I did always think, however, that it was The Kinks who sort of were the forefront of early pre-punkism with that insane feedback, distortion, and riffage. Those early Kinks originals just stomp.  

Back in the aughts, when people were making fun of the popularity of The Backstreet Boys and others like them, the rejoinder by music relativists was, "the Beatles were a boy band!" My personal opinion is that while they share some similarities in terms of audience and girlish pubescent reaction, the comparison should really stop there. It's not even a workable comparison. 
Yeah, the Beatles had some screaming girls in their audience when they hit the scene, but they were a band. Boy Bands are singers and dancers. 

Maximum Rock N' Roll, the punk zine out of San Francisco, used to pay homage to the older rockers that predated punk. The Beatles never really got a shout. I was always amazed by that. Pre-'64 Beatles were punk as heck, and I regaled a Beatle fan or two with stories and comparisons from the era to punk and '76 or '77. That's really all punk was if you could get past its British fashion trappings, anyway -- it was a nihilist's return to rock n' roll roots. I'd argue that the Beatles, late as they were, embodied a rock n' roll spirit and songwriting that is frenetic and punk. 

i will throw this out, and even though they didn't write it, the two versions offer clarity on these points  ... woulda been on my top 25 if it were an official release: 

Estudio, for Decca which was, of course, turned down. 

Drunkin'/Punkin' faceripper version from Hamburg

i remember getting my mitts on that Hamburg album all those years ago ... this song absolutely ####in' FLOORED me - speedin' and drinkin' and rockin' that #### like nobody's COTdamn business. 

that, my friends, is punk 'tude 101. 

PS - "The Man Who" by Travis is the greatest Beatle album released post the Fab Four dissolution. 

🍻

More great stuff.

On this last point, I was always shocked that Travis never broke big in the US.  They had a mild hit with "Why Does It Always Rain On Me" but not much more.  I saw them play at the Double Door (RIP) around the corner from me in Chicago and don't think they played venues there any larger than that (~400 capacity).  And I only went because it was half a block away and my friend Thomas was dying to go.  Put on a fantastic show that made me a fan.

:shock:   I have never heard The Beatles be called a boy band. When I think of boy bands, I think of a group of guys all singing together, none playing instruments, and they are performing choreographed moves.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually heard (or read) of a person calling them a boy band, but only of people saying that others had done so.  If someone said it in my presence, they'd get a fat lip.*

*Not really; I'm a wimp.

😃   John is quite cute is this video.  :wub:  

Yeah, I've always thought so, too.  :heart:  

Paul looks best, on the other hand, in this one.

List submitted. No new songs in my top 10 (although the order changed), but 8 new songs out of the next 15. I guess I have my favorite favorites and then the rest is just a snapshot of whatever I've been into lately.

The Beatles absolutely have been called by some a boy band and why I mentioned it.  Like I said, I hate it, because of my own personal perception of what a boy band is.  But, if you go by something like Wiki:

A boy band is loosely defined as a vocal group consisting of young male singers, usually in their teenage years or in their twenties at the time of formation, singing love songs marketed towards girls.

Well, that does kind of loosely fit the bill for the early years.  Obviously they are so much more, transformed themselves over time and are the greatest band of all time, IMO.  But I get the reference and as long as someone isn’t using it as a way to denigrate the band then I let it pass.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually heard (or read) of a person calling them a boy band, but only of people saying that others had done so.  If someone said it in my presence, they'd get a fat lip.*

*Not really; I'm a wimp.

Yeah, I've always thought so, too.  :heart:  

Paul looks best, on the other hand, in this one.

Paul needed to work them pecs, tho  😎

and, if i may indulge in a pure Costanza "NTTAWWT" moment, George was the best looking. much the best. 

hey, he was a very handsome guy - yeah, i like me some George. 

some great shots from the early days are up in this one - dude looks cool as #### dragging his cigs (was gonna use the proper British slang, but, filter?)  🚬

yeah. and the boots. 

PS - song would be #2 on my list if a solo George thread ever rolls out. 

The musical lineage of The Backstreet Boys is more Motown than the Beatles although "Please Mr. Postman" could be a common point of origin.  The signature boy band sound of the past 30 years is smoothed out New Jack Swing even when sung in Korean.

I think the lyrics hold the song back - top 50 for me but not top 25.

:hifive:   And the run-on sentences, right?  Right?  I mean, he wants to be a writer, but all his sentences are run-ons.

and, if i may indulge in a pure Costanza "NTTAWWT" moment, George was the best looking. much the best. 

some great shots from the early days are up in this one - dude looks cool as #### dragging his cigs (was gonna use the proper British slang, but, filter?)  🚬

yeah. and the boots. 

:lol:  at the Paul pic.  I'm with you on George.  Overall I've always thought he was the best looking, but I'm a sucker for his type of look.  Dreamy!  Maybe not during his mullet years so much, but still pretty good.

John had by far the best looking nose, though.  

There is a solo Beatles thread where I did a countdown, but not one just for George.

More great stuff.

On this last point, I was always shocked that Travis never broke big in the US.  They had a mild hit with "Why Does It Always Rain On Me" but not much more.  I saw them play at the Double Door (RIP) around the corner from me in Chicago and don't think they played venues there any larger than that (~400 capacity).  And I only went because it was half a block away and my friend Thomas was dying to go.  Put on a fantastic show that made me a fan.

weird ...never heard of them

definitely will check it out.

:hifive:   And the run-on sentences, right?  Right?  I mean, he wants to be a writer, but all his sentences are run-ons.

maybe we're selling Paul's ham on wry a tad short here?

i find the irony a bit cheeky, if not intentional ... the "writer" in question is too harried/scatter brained (and the frenetic music pace lends to it) to harness the discipline to indulge in proper novels, so he settles for the much more maligned and poo-poohed medium of paperback 🤔 

ya know, like those freakin' "bodice rippers" that were all the rage back in the day of valium and go-go boots. 

:lol:  at the Paul pic.  I'm with you on George.  Overall I've always thought he was the best looking, but I'm a sucker for his type of look.  Dreamy!  Maybe not during his mullet years so much, but still pretty good.

John had by far the best looking nose, though.  

There is a solo Beatles thread where I did a countdown, but not one just for George.

plz tell me said countdown went:

25-2 ... fill in the blanks, any color you choose. 

1) WORKING. CLASS. HERO.  

I saw them open for Oasis.

None of the 90s Britpop bands really broke in the States.  Oasis got the closest I guess but weren't able to fill arenas in the US at their peak.

Travis' The Man Who is a very solid album but it loses a half star from me for the seven minutes of dead air and hidden track at the end of "Slide Show". Those stupid CD tricks weren't clever in the 90s and they make the song unplaylistable if that's a word.

yeah. and the boots. 

Love me some George, too. I'm in, if there's ever a George solo thread.

I almost put Blue Jay Way on my top 25 just because I love George so much. And I'm a contrarian, so I wanted to watch everyone's heads explode. Funny how a song that is so great gets relegated to the "Meh" pile in comparison to the catalogue of amazing.

Any documentaries out there that really deep dive into the Hamburg years? I am fascinated by the punk rock, teddy boy vibe and bohemian lifestyle: sleeping in broom closets in a porn theater and doing 2-3 shows a night. Love to see more about that.

On this date in 1969, the Beatles met for the first time as a group with noted slimeball crook Allen Klein, who had already been hired by John as his financial manager and would be hired thereafter by the group as their business manager over Paul's objections.  This dispute, and Klein himself, should replace Yoko in the "why did the Beatles split up" narrative (which is not to say it was the only reason, but a bigger issue than Yoko ever was).  John and George also later regretted their relationship with garbage-person Klein, leading to various lawsuits between the Beatles, individually and as a group, and Klein.

plz tell me said countdown went:

25-2 ... fill in the blanks, any color you choose. 

1) WORKING. CLASS. HERO.  

Well, it was a countdown of 291 songs rather than 25, but Working Class Hero wasn't my #1 (remember these are my favorites, not "best").  It's definitely one of my favorite post-Beatles works from John, though.

I almost put Blue Jay Way on my top 25 just because I love George so much. And I'm a contrarian, so I wanted to watch everyone's heads explode. Funny how a song that is so great gets relegated to the "Meh" pile in comparison to the catalogue of amazing.

It was one of OH's last cuts for his top 25.  He looooooves that one.  

Love me some George, too. I'm in, if there's ever a George solo thread.

first time i heard "Bangladesh", it was on as him being my favorite solo Beatle. 

not by much tho, because John gave us "Working Class Hero" and "No. 9 Dream" and "Mother", etc. 

but, man, did i dig solo George - his time to shine, and he sure did. 

interestingly enough, i am not the biggest fan of his latter day Beatles "hits" - not that i loathe any as i do "GDS", but the deeper George cuts always won me over very easily. 

Any documentaries out there that really deep dive into the Hamburg years? I am fascinated by the punk rock, teddy boy vibe and bohemian lifestyle: sleeping in broom closets in a porn theater and doing 2-3 shows a night. Love to see more about that.

wish i knew of one, 'cuz i'd recommend it in spades - a remarkable period, and anybody who cares to learn their whole history recognizes it as a chapter that bulletproofed them from slags such as "boy band", "hippies", "nothing special".

hell, they earned the right to do whatever the eff pleased them. 

On this date in 1969, the Beatles met for the first time as a group with noted slimeball crook Allen Klein, who had already been hired by John as his financial manager and would be hired thereafter by the group as their business manager over Paul's objections.  This dispute, and Klein himself, should replace Yoko in the "why did the Beatles split up" narrative (which is not to say it was the only reason, but a bigger issue than Yoko ever was).  John and George also later regretted their relationship with garbage-person Klein, leading to various lawsuits between the Beatles, individually and as a group, and Klein.

(for Paul): 

#### YOU, JOHN - I WAS RIGHT!

YES.

AND I WILL SLEEP WELL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! 

🍏

31 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I seem to recall that the "150 Glimpses of the Beatles" has some cool Hamburg stuff in it - not a documentary though.

It's a great vacation or bathroom book - breezy, 1 - 2 page stories.  Loved it.

Is the Feb 13th deadline for real?

I was going to have to pull an all nighter this weekend but that gives me some time.

I love the idea of doing these but it's so hard to find the time. I am starting to feel silly even saying I am going to do it.

I really do want to and plan on doing this one. I think it will be interesting to see the list done under pressure. 

Users who are viewing this thread