What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John R. Lewis Voting Rights Act (1 Viewer)

I mean, who can possibly be against voting rights? 

Democrats see voting rights differently than Republicans do

maybe this is a better overall view of what that Act is ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_Voting_Rights_Act

• Election seats and jurisdiction boundary changes
  • Redistricting
  • Voter I.D. requirements
  • Multi-lingual voting materials
  • Voting locations and voting opportunities
  • Voter roll maintenance

but the guts of it appears to be this ... https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/what-would-the-john-lewis-voting-rights-act-actually-do.html

Would the John Lewis Act stop the current explosion of state laws restricting voting rights?

Many of the provisions in the state Republican-enacted voter-suppression  (voting) laws that popped up after the 2020 election would be flatly (and retroactively) prohibited by H.R. 1/S. 1. The John Lewis Act would also stop future laws and procedural changes from taking effect without a Justice Department preclearance. It’s hard to know exactly which laws and procedural changes would and would not pass muster, and it’s worth considering that a future Republican administration might very well reverse pro-voting-rights guidance set down by the Biden administration.

But without question, the John Lewis Act would slow down, and might well inhibit, voter-suppression (voting laws) activity.

don't misunderstand the wording - its NOT voter-suppression .... to have laws, rules and regulations that make sure everyone who votes legally can. I mean who could possibly be against that ? 

the answer is - Democrats/liberals. The more relaxed voting law are, the more votes they can get. I truly believe that's why Biden is allowing millions to come across the border. Those illegals, couple with lax voting laws, is a huge addition for a voting base ..... and its all about winning elections isn't it ?

What could possibli go wrong?

"A state may not refuse to accept or process an individual's application to vote in elections for Federal office on the grounds that the individual is under 18 years of age at the time the individual submits the application so long as the individual is at least 16 years of age at such time."

"A state may not refuse to accept or process an individual's application to vote in elections for Federal office on the grounds that the individual is under 18 years of age at the time the individual submits the application so long as the individual is at least 16 years of age at such time."
what??

That is in there?

What’s wrong with people being registered to vote in anticipation of becoming eligible?

Its an application…it does not make them eligible before they are 18.  They would not be on the voter roles prior to being 18.
Why wouldn't they? Are they going to just store an application for up to 2 years and then put it on the voter rolls? What is the purpose of registering people to vote if they then can't vote?

Why wouldn't they? Are they going to just store an application for up to 2 years and then put it on the voter rolls? What is the purpose of registering people to vote if they then can't vote?

Why would they be on the voter roles as eligible would be my question right back.  Being able to apply/register prior to your 18th birthday does not make you become eligible early.

Why would they be on the voter roles as eligible would be my question right back.  Being able to apply/register prior to your 18th birthday does not make you become eligible early.
Why limit to 16 then? Why not just register people at birth? What's the difference? What's the point? Why again would we register people to vote who can't vote?

Why limit to 16 then? Why not just register people at birth? What's the difference? What's the point? Why again would we register people to vote who can't vote?
We have this law where I live.  It’s good because people are able to register to vote when they get a drivers license.  I’m not aware of any illegal votes resulting from the policy.

We have this law where I live.  It’s good because people are able to register to vote when they get a drivers license.  I’m not aware of any illegal votes resulting from the policy.
Well since you're not aware of it guess that makes it ok. 

Again what is the purpose of registering people to vote who cannot vote?

It's my understanding that these new electronic devices that some call "computers" can track data like birth dates and update the rolls prior to elections.
These fancy "computers" can't seem to update voter rolls when people move to different states or die, so now we're expecting them to update voters that registered years earlier to eligible status and vice versa keep those that are not eligible but registered from being on the voter rolls. 

I think the fundamental breakdown here is that some people have 100% faith in the infallibility of the government to run efficient and smooth processes with no means of error or corruption to occur. 

Explain to me your concern. 

Sometimes people have 18th birthdays not that long before Election Day.  Making them wait to register until they are 18 can make it difficult or impossible to vote.
Did you not see the provisions that say same day voting is required? The requirements that unlimited mail in ballots and late registration are required? All with no ID requirements. What could possibly make it difficult or impossible to vote then that would require preemptive registration for up to 2 years before someone is allowed to?

Ah.  You can’t articulate your concern.  Thought so.  
🤣🤣

Yes let's add voters to the voter rolls that can't vote. I've been assured that they won't be added to the voter rolls until it's time for them to vote by the government that does such a great job at maintaining the current voter rolls. 

Last edited by a moderator:
🤣🤣

Yes that's add voters to the voter rolls that can't vote. I've been assured that they won't be added to the voter rolls until it's time or them to vote by the government that does such a great job at maintaining the current voter rolls. 
Any evidence of fraudulent voting by adding them?  Anything at all?  Or are we just talking about your imagination here?  

In the absence of evidence that adding prospective voters to the rolls leads to any fraud, your “concern” is wholly without merit.  Making it easier for voters, and the system, to deal with upcoming elections is a good thing.  

Any evidence of fraudulent voting by adding them?  Anything at all?  Or are we just talking about your imagination here?  

In the absence of evidence that adding prospective voters to the rolls leads to any fraud, your “concern” is wholly without merit.  Making it easier for voters, and the system, to deal with upcoming elections is a good thing.  
Is there any evidence that they can't be added and allowed to vote? Are there measures in place that would prevent said voting of ineligible voters or is just the honor system? Just because we don't catch people exploiting a system doesn't mean that the system is working as intended. Trust that people won't exploit a system because it's not allowed is not the same as actually putting safeguards in place to prevent it. 

States do a pretty good job at keeping their rolls current; it's a responsibility that all of them take seriously. 

This is just another invented problem by the right. And it's pretty telling that you can't get conservatives to acknowledge the efficiency and success of systems in Oregon, Utah and Colorado, among others. 

Sometimes people have 18th birthdays not that long before Election Day.  Making them wait to register until they are 18 can make it difficult or impossible to vote.
I assume the process has to allow for the possibility that it can be completed by the time someone is 18 or you would be violating their Constitutional right to vote at 18, right? If so, registration has to happen before the 18th birthday in order to allow people to vote when they turn 18.

Now, of course, it shouldn't take super long time to complete the registration process and have confirmation. (I have no idea what it takes to register and be approved to vote.) An argument can be made that 2 years is way more time than needed. So what is the timeframe? 2 months? Whatever it is, there's the possibility that the process ends and they are officially registered BEFORE the person is 18 and presents the same problems as registration at 16 or birth or whatever age. In any scenario, we have people who aren't 18 who are registered to vote.

Again, I admittedly don't know the process, so I might be making some false assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say it again, all states should adopt Utah's voting laws. No one has ever had a problem with them.

Living here in Utah and watching the national news or reading threads like this is kind of hilarious.  Every time there is some voting issue popping up that the right is freaking out about, I end up thinking to myself "wait isn't that how it already works?".

Here we are, the 2nd reddest state in the entire country, who hasn't elected a new democratic senator since 1959, and we do allllllllllll the voting things that conservatives across much of the rest of the country freak out about, and there's never even been a peep of concern about any of it.

And you know what?  Voting here is awesome.  It's easy, it's reliable.  Everyone loves it.

I can't believe so much of the rest of the country makes it so hard to vote and discourages people from voting by making them take time off work to stand in an often (or in the case where the voter still needs to register, several) very long line.

Ya'll are so backwards.  Get out of the 1850's.  We have the technology.

States do a pretty good job at keeping their rolls current; it's a responsibility that all of them take seriously. 

This is just another invented problem by the right. And it's pretty telling that you can't get conservatives to acknowledge the efficiency and success of systems in Oregon, Utah and Colorado, among others. 
Republicans have acknowledged on a few occasions that increased voter turnout is bad for them. So they've invented a boogeyman to get their supporters behind laws aimed to prevent it.

“They had things, levels of voting that if you’d ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.” 

"I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of the people. They never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

Living here in Utah and watching the national news or reading threads like this is kind of hilarious.  Every time there is some voting issue popping up that the right is freaking out about, I end up thinking to myself "wait isn't that how it already works?".

Here we are, the 2nd reddest state in the entire country, who hasn't elected a new democratic senator since 1959, and we do allllllllllll the voting things that conservatives across much of the rest of the country freak out about, and there's never even been a peep of concern about any of it.

And you know what?  Voting here is awesome.  It's easy, it's reliable.  Everyone loves it.

I can't believe so much of the rest of the country makes it so hard to vote and discourages people from voting by making them take time off work to stand in an often (or in the case where the voter still needs to register, several) very long line.

Ya'll are so backwards.  Get out of the 1850's.  We have the technology.
We have ID cards today too that we didn’t have in the 1850’s

And this is the issue.  A young person will go and line up to get his driver's license, but he is less likely to line up to get on the voter registry.  By doing this at the same time, you are making it easier and more convenient for him.

And guess which party would prefer young people not to vote.

Accounting and HR departments in practically every business in the country use some kind of computerized method for tracking future eligibility and required actions.

C'mon, I can't believe we have to explain this. It's 2022.

And this is the issue.  A young person will go and line up to get his driver's license, but he is less likely to line up to get on the voter registry.  By doing this at the same time, you are making it easier and more convenient for him.

And guess which party would prefer young people not to vote.
So you're saying there's a party that wants people under 18 to vote? You don't say. 

Users who are viewing this thread