What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (2 Viewers)

I hope most of you understand that my point, as Raider fan, I think we need to have far more respect and appreciation for Carr and what he has done for the team.

Looking at the roster, coaching & ownership over Carr's career what season do we honestly think Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers would (both of whom I concede are >>Carr) would have made the Raiders legitimate contenders?

The Conner Cook season is, unquestionably, a push at best because we simply don't know what might have been.

Carr deserves better. As I have said several times in here, if the Raiders ditch him I hope he ends up with Sean Payton because I think the missing piece has always been coaching and scheme and I personally believe Payton is one of the top schemers in the game. IMO Payton would crush with a highly accurate passer like Carr under center.

I hope most of you understand that my point, as Raider fan, I think we need to have far more respect and appreciation for Carr and what he has done for the team.

Looking at the roster, coaching & ownership over Carr's career what season do we honestly think Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers would (both of whom I concede are >>Carr) would have made the Raiders legitimate contenders?

The Conner Cook season is, unquestionably, a push at best because we simply don't know what might have been.

Carr deserves better. As I have said several times in here, if the Raiders ditch him I hope he ends up with Sean Payton because I think the missing piece has always been coaching and scheme and I personally believe Payton is one of the top schemers in the game. IMO Payton would crush with a highly accurate passer like Carr under center.
I have been saying the same thing in a slightly different manner for years.   Why is it Carr’s fault and not the owner, GM, and HC?  Where is Carr’s WR1?  Where is the dominant o line?   Where is the defense?  Why weren’t the fans blasting the organization year after year for the horrible draft selections and bumbling FAs?  

Carr is a good but not great QB.   For the love of god, build a team around him and see what happens.   Make a plan and put it in place already.  

I have been saying the same thing in a slightly different manner for years.   Why is it Carr’s fault and not the owner, GM, and HC?  Where is Carr’s WR1?  Where is the dominant o line?   Where is the defense?  Why weren’t the fans blasting the organization year after year for the horrible draft selections and bumbling FAs?  

Carr is a good but not great QB.   For the love of god, build a team around him and see what happens.   Make a plan and put it in place already.  
TESTIFY BROTHER!!!! AMEN!!!

If Jimmy Garappolo can get to two NFC championship games (maybe Super Bowls) I have to believe that Carr's issues may be institutional instead of personal.

dude.

no one is saying that it's all carr's fault.  he's better than average. he's not great.  the raiders front office has been a ####### #### show of magnitude for 20+ years.  Al was a disaster the last 10? years of his life.  the draft has been a mystery for YEARS.

DA RAIDERS said:
watching allen and mahomes puts things in perspective.   :sadbanana:

unreal qb play
I don't disagree, however, rarely do I ever see Raider WR's & TE's running free through the secondary as I saw tonight..

I don't disagree, however, rarely do I ever see Raider WR's & TE's running free through the secondary as I saw tonight..
we know Al would give gabriel a max deal after tonight.

a lot of those wide open looks came off scrambles or off platform throws.  it was impressive.  

tyreek is from another planet.

Raiders to interview Jarrod Mayo tomorrow (Tuesday), and reportedly interviewed Coach B last week.   I think those are the only two reported interviews, correct?

Peter King speculating on a possible Dave Ziegler (director of player personnel in New England), Josh McDaniels package coming to Las Vegas.  Ziegler would make sense with either McD or Mayo.

From Albert Breer's MMQB column: 
Full article here

The dot-connecting on Las Vegas is happening fast and furious. To this point, the Raiders seem to be moving their GM search ahead of their coaching search—even as buzz persists that the team will likely retain the coach-centric model it had under Jon Gruden. So what gives? You can follow the bouncing ball on this one, with interim team president Dan Ventrelle and ex-NFL GM Ken Herock helping Mark Davis with his search.

Patriots exec Dave Ziegler interviewed Friday, and the Raiders have also met with Bears exec Champ Kelly and Bengals scout Trey Brown on the job. Ziegler and Kelly (not coincidentally) worked together in Denver during the Josh McDaniels and John Fox eras. Brown got his start in the NFL as a Patriots scout. And Vegas’s current assistant director of player personnel, DuJuan Daniels, worked in New England for over a decade. All of that points to setting up for a Patriots-raised coach. Josh McDaniels’s name has come up here, to be sure. If he leaves New England, I think it’ll happen fast. I don’t see him going through a drawn-out circus courtship. And Ziegler, for what it’s worth, would’ve been McDaniels’s GM in Cleveland if the Browns had hired him in 2020. This could, too, set up for Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo, who is expected to interview for the Raiders’ job early this week.

And the other direction the Raiders could go in? The obvious one—toward Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh. Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds has been connected to the Raiders’ job for a couple of weeks now, and Vegas put in a slip for him over the weekend. And the no-nonsense Dodds is seen as a solid fit for Harbaugh, and the two did cross over with one another for a year in Oakland in 2003 when Harbaugh was the Raiders’ quarterbacks coach and Dodds a young scout. Another personnel man who is rumored to be in play for Harbaugh is Jaguars director of player personnel Tom Gamble, who was with Harbaugh in San Francisco and helped run his recruiting department for a few years in Ann Arbor. What I will say I do like about the Raiders’ process is that rather than just looking at individual guys, they’re looking at models to build around a coach. I think it’s actually pretty smart.

Great The Athletic article today re: Raiders cap situation...

https://theathletic.com/3078561/2022/01/24/raiders-offseason-roster-guide-the-new-front-office-should-have-plenty-of-flexibility/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

(Bolded emphasis, mine.)

13 players who will become UFAs that played at least 20 percent of their snaps:

• CB Casey Hayward (17 starts)
• RT Brandon Parker (13 starts)
DT Quinton Jefferson (17 starts)
• WR Zay Jones (9 starts)
CB Brandon Facyson (9 starts)
• DT Johnathan Hankins (14 starts)
• DT Solomon Thomas (47.8 percent of defensive snaps)
• LB K.J. Wright (8 starts)
• WR DeSean Jackson (27 percent of offensive snaps
DT Darius Philon (24 percent of defensive snaps
• RG Jermaine Eluemunor (23.3 percent of offensive snaps)
• CB Desmond Trufant (21.1 percent of defensive snaps)
UFAs of note who didn’t play as much in 2021:

• TE Derek Carrier
• QB Marcus Mariota
• DT Gerald McCoy
• C Nick Martin
• LG Richie Incognito
LB Nicholas Morrow
Long-term commitments:

• OT Kolton Miller: Signed through 2025 with average salary of $18 million
• TE Darren Waller: Signed through 2023 with average salary of $7.45 million
• K Daniel Carlson: Signed through 2025 with average salary of $4.6 million
• OL Alex Leatherwood: Signed through 2024 with average salary of $3.59 million
• C Andre James: Signed through 2023 with average salary of $4.32 million
• S Tre’von Moehrig: Signed through 2024 with average salary of $1.97 million
• LS Trent Sieg: Signed through 2023 with average salary of $1.14 million
• P AJ Cole: Signed through 2025 with average salary of $3 million
• WR Bryan Edwards: Signed through 2023 with average salary of $1.17 million
• G John Simpson: Signed through 2023 with average salary of $1.02 million
• DE Malcolm Koonce: Signed through 2024 with average salary of $1.24 million
• LB Divine Deablo: Signed through 2024 with average salary of $1.24 million
• CB Amik Robertson: Signed through 2023 with average salary of $947K
• CB Nate Hobbs: Signed through 2024 with average salary of $945K
• S Tyree Gillespie: Signed through 2024 with average salary of $994K
15 players who are going into the final year of their contract:

QB Derek Carr
• RB Kenyan Drake
RB Josh Jacobs
WR Hunter Renfrow
TE Foster Moreau
• G Denzelle Good
DE Yannick Ngakoue
• DE Clelin Ferrell
• DE Carl Nassib
DE Maxx Crosby
• LB Cory Littleton
• LB Nick Kwiatkoski
LB Denzel Perryman
• CB Trayvon Mullen
S Johnathan Abram
Players who would free up cap space despite carrying a dead money hit* if they were cut or traded...

• LB Cory Littleton: Would save $1.76 million but come with $14 million in dead money
• DE Carl Nassib: Would save $3.04 million but come with $6.6 million in dead money
• LB Nick Kwiatkoski: Would save $3.24 million but come with $5 million in dead money
*Two of the three above could be cut prior to June 1, but with a June 1 designation, which would spread the dead money hit out over two years. E.g. for Littleton, that would increase his 2022 cap savings from $1.76 MM to 8.76 MM - i.e. Littleton (and probably one of these other two as well) is a dead man walking.

Good stuff @LawFitz

On the ufas I think Hankins and/or Solomon will be back. Love philon, but why lock up a roster spot with a guy that might not make it back from injury. Unless you get him cheap and can IR him.  I keep Martin, if he’s cheap.  Morrow better be at a discount. 

rb is such a weird position nowadays. They might let jacobs walk. Is mixon the only “bell cow” back left in the playoffs?  That money might be better spent somewhere else.

I cut both lbs

ICON211 said:
It's a little odd to fire Mayock, but then interview someone from his staff for the GM role.
Interesting but without knowing the decision making within tbe building, we are blind. It could be that he was the voice against some bad decisions that were made. Also, it could be, as @kasopost ponts out, potentially looking stronger at Bisaccia being retained. They do seem to be looking at GM/coach packages in a way. It is further interesting that this news comes right after Bisaccia had his interview. Perhaps that is an indication that his interview went well?

LawFitz said:
Great The Athletic article today re: Raiders cap situation...

https://theathletic.com/3078561/2022/01/24/raiders-offseason-roster-guide-the-new-front-office-should-have-plenty-of-flexibility/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

(Bolded emphasis, mine.)

*Two of the three above could be cut prior to June 1, but with a June 1 designation, which would spread the dead money hit out over two years. E.g. for Littleton, that would increase his 2022 cap savings from $1.76 MM to 8.76 MM - i.e. Littleton (and probably one of these other two as well) is a dead man walking.
Funny, I wrote a huge post on this last week. Somehow it got erased before I posted and that bummed me out. I was going to try again. But just have not. I did note that Littleton, Nassib and Kwiat were likely cut targets as well. I could see Kwiat retained if a guy like  Fangio was brought in. I think Kwiat is well suited (best suited) as an ILB for a 34 type of system. 

Some of these articles crack me up. Dodds and harbaugh crossed paths 19 years ago.  For a year. Obviously they’re tight. 

Funny, I wrote a huge post on this last week. Somehow it got erased before I posted and that bummed me out. I was going to try again. But just have not. I did note that Littleton, Nassib and Kwiat were likely cut targets as well. I could see Kwiat retained if a guy like  Fangio was brought in. I think Kwiat is well suited (best suited) as an ILB for a 34 type of system. 
Kwait sucks. 🤪🤪🤪

cut him. Perennial back up, that got a payday out of the raiders. 

This is a pretty good read too: 
SI - The Black Hole+

Lots to digest in it.  And some interesting takes.    Leads me to believe the HC of the Raiders next year will be one of:  Harbaugh, Bisaccia, Payton, or Josh McDaniels.   Can't say I'd be upset with any of them.   However each have their good and bad. 

Bisaccia has the locker room, but not the experience.  And does the failed attempt of Joe Judge (ST to HC path) muddy the waters?
Payton would come at likely a crazy cost, but wow that would be fun!
Harbaugh may not want to work for a GM, does his hiring lead to some bizarre reporting structure?  Does it get in the way of a GM wanting to take the job in LV?
McDaniels had the spy gate incident in Denver before the spy gate incident we all know and remember so fondly.  The Colts issue of him backing out of the job seems like a red flag to me, but likely far more to that story. 

If I had to guess what Mark wants, I'd say they go in this order - assuming everything else is equal;  Payton, Harbaugh, Bisaccia, McDaniels.   But, if the rumors are true that Mark is prioritizing the GM search over the HC spot, then the guy that gets the GM job will likely have a big say in the next HC of the Raiders. 

(For the record, I think Payton is a bit of a pipe dream.)

Kwait sucks. 🤪🤪🤪

cut him. Perennial back up, that got a payday out of the raiders. 
He did well in a Fangio system and showed flashes in the chaos of the Gunther system. Before the season I had very deep concerns about his fit in the Bradley system. He doesn’t have a good role in it and his skillset doesn’t help him. 

Football is way too complicated to have ssucha simplistic take and I think that is one where you look at a player that isn't a good fit for the system, he then struggles amd to say he sucks.

Payton has told the Saints that he is stepping back from coaching. 

Do you keep Bissacia, if ye us successful great... if not, go all in for Payton next year?

He did well in a Fangio system and showed flashes in the chaos of the Gunther system. Before the season I had very deep concerns about his fit in the Bradley system. He doesn’t have a good role in it and his skillset doesn’t help him. 

Football is way too complicated to have ssucha simplistic take and I think that is one where you look at a player that isn't a good fit for the system, he then struggles amd to say he sucks.
lighten up francis.  did you miss the 3 kooky emoticons?  

kwiat is a career backup.  with some spot starts.  he had flashes in chi and here.  i even picked him up in my idp league at one point.  he got starter money out of the raiders.  good for him and his family.  he is absolutely, JAG.  averages 3.7 tackles a game over his career.

he stole that money from the raiders.  anything they can do to get out from under it, they should.  may as well have will compton in his place.

Payton has told the Saints that he is stepping back from coaching. 

Do you keep Bissacia, if ye us successful great... if not, go all in for Payton next year?
No, we can't just burn a year and hope for the best. And he's under contract through 24 anyway. What we need is a GM to pick over the Saints carcass and trade for some of their talent. 

this is correct.  i just hate the idea of another fing rebuild
Seems like Dwayne Joseph gets the hard look if we keep Bisaccia. 

I don't think we keep Bisaccia in order to go for Payton next year but I think it kind of helps hedge your bets. If Bisaccia is successful with this tram which he showed he can be then great and if things go south firing him for a run at Payton is easier than bringing in a McDaniel or Harbaugh or anyone else, have them fall flat and fire in first year. That is messy. 

I hope we're not in for a full rebuild either. Maybe a soft reboot with a lot of the same characters.  
If we keep Bisaccia that means Bradley stays. We need to resign players and add a couple of impact players and the D will be midling at worst and could be knocking or busting through the top 10 door. 

Most likely Olsen stays too though I would be happy to look elsewhere. A WR and an OL or two and we are likely a top 10 offense with potential for top 5. 

If we go elsewhere... it just depends on what their system is. How much do we have to change? How much are the players we have a fit or not? 

I hope they go really hard after Payton. I'd even give up a top pick to get him for 2022. The Saints may be amenable to that now that he's resigned - better to get something than nothing. Payton + Carr + OL/WR reinforcement could be amazing for years to come. And I'd bet Carr could be convinced to take a material hometown discount in order to get the other pieces, once Payton is secured.

I hope they go really hard after Payton. I'd even give up a top pick to get him for 2022. The Saints may be amenable to that now that he's resigned - better to get something than nothing. Payton + Carr + OL/WR reinforcement could be amazing for years to come. And I'd bet Carr could be convinced to take a material hometown discount in order to get the other pieces, once Payton is secured.
From reports, he doesn't want to coach this year. May be burnt out. Maybe he is like Cowher or some other coaches who just are done with that and want the comfy lifestyle of broadcast work... apparently several media have gone heavy to get him.

From reports, he doesn't want to coach this year. May be burnt out. Maybe he is like Cowher or some other coaches who just are done with that and want the comfy lifestyle of broadcast work... apparently several media have gone heavy to get him.
Yeah, who knows where his head and heart are at right now. I did find this interesting from the Payton thread:

Brees retires, next year are $75M over the cap and he peaces out. 

Gonna be a tough rebuild there. 
Maybe a prime Carr + cap flexibility + new stadium + 0 state tax + Gruden-like power would be enough to sway Payton after a few weeks sitting on a beach somewhere.

Pipe dream.

Yeah, who knows where his head and heart are at right now. I did find this interesting from the Payton thread:

Maybe a prime Carr + cap flexibility + new stadium + 0 state tax + Gruden-like power would be enough to sway Payton after a few weeks sitting on a beach somewhere.

Pipe dream.
Ouch

I took a look.

They have a ton of cuts to do after June 1st. A lot of money will be dead. $12MM already dead and much more with cuts. Maybe restructures to help. 

Wow, I had no idea how much of bad shape they are in cap wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch

I took a look.

They have a ton of cuts to do after June 1st. A lot of money will be dead. $12MM already dead and much more with cuts. Maybe restructures to help. 

Wow, I had no idea how much of bad shape they are in cap wise.
makes that taysom hill deal, even more of a head scratcher

top 10 cap hits for 2022.  the bolded hurt a bit.

Derek CarrQB  $19,877,519 

Kolton MillerLT  16,825,000 

Cory LittletonILB  $15,768,000 

Yannick NgakoueDE  $15,000,000 

Clelin FerrellDE  $9,978,442

Carl NassibDE  $9,652,000 

Nick KwiatkoskiOLB  $8,252,000 

Kenyan DrakeRB  $8,000,000 

Darren WallerTE  $7,000,000 

Daniel CarlsonK  $4,234,445 

top 10 cap hits for 2022.  the bolded hurt a bit.

Derek CarrQB  $19,877,519 

Kolton MillerLT  16,825,000 

Cory LittletonILB  $15,768,000 

Yannick NgakoueDE  $15,000,000 

Clelin FerrellDE  $9,978,442

Carl NassibDE  $9,652,000 

Nick KwiatkoskiOLB  $8,252,000 

Kenyan DrakeRB  $8,000,000 

Darren WallerTE  $7,000,000 

Daniel CarlsonK  $4,234,445 
This is the price you pay for hiring a HC and GM that are clueless and in way over their heads.   I hope LV decides to keep Carr and Waller and starts drafting like a real NFL team.  It’s possible that the Raiders blow it up and move on from Carr and Waller to truly rebuild.   I certainly have no idea what LV will do and logic rarely plays a part in the decisions by Davis.   Maybe the unpredictability is what keeps me a fan.  

Most likely Olsen stays too though I would be happy to look elsewhere. A WR and an OL or two and we are likely a top 10 offense with potential for top 5. 
Since he first became an OC in 2005 Olson has had two top 10 yardage offenses. 2006 Lienehan was the HC calling the offense in St Louis and 2020 when Gruden was the HC calling the offense in Las Vegas. Same thing for top 10 scoring offenses, 2006 & 2020.

Between 2007 & 2019 his highest ranked scoring offense was 14th then 20th. His highest ranked yardage offenses were 11th (2019, Gruden) then 18th & 19th. Frankly I am truly surprised he keeps getting hired to be an OC.

LawFitz said:
15 players who are going into the final year of their contract:

• QB Derek Carr
• RB Kenyan Drake
• RB Josh Jacobs
• WR Hunter Renfrow
• TE Foster Moreau
• G Denzelle Good
• DE Yannick Ngakoue
• DE Clelin Ferrell
• DE Carl Nassib
• DE Maxx Crosby
• LB Cory Littleton
• LB Nick Kwiatkoski
• LB Denzel Perryman
• CB Trayvon Mullen
• S Johnathan Abram
man, that’s a scary list with LOADS of work for the front office to do to not lose the core of the team (Carr, Jacobs, Renfrow, Crosby especially). 

I think we should have a GM on staff if we want to handle this correctly ;)  

NO DUI for Hobbs, below legal limit.  

By: KTNV Staff

Posted at 8:49 AM, Jan 26, 2022 and last updated 9:03 AM, Jan 26, 2022

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Nate Hobbs' blood-alcohol level was under the legal limit for Driving Under the Influence after he was found sleeping in a vehicle on the exit ramp of a casino parking garage, according to Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson.

The Raiders player has pleaded guilty to one count of careless driving connected to the incident, however.

On Jan. 3, Hobbs was arrested for DUI after he was found asleep in his car in the parking structure of The Cromwell Hotel. 

On Wednesday, Hobbs pleaded guilty to one count of Unlawful Manners of Driving—Careless Driving.

The complaint alleges that Hobbs did “willfully and unlawfully operate a vehicle in any other than a careful or prudent manner by falling asleep in an exit lane” of a parking garage. As part of the agreement, Hobbs will pay a $685 fine, complete a victim impact panel, and complete 20 hours of community service.

Dodds happening today. 

Vic Tafur@VicTafur-2h

Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds set to interview in Las Vegas today. #Raiders just interviewed Titans national scout Ruston Webster & Steelers Pro Scouting Coordinator Brandon Hunt, as NFL Network said, & hope to talk to Bucs VP of Player Personnel John Spytek soon. 8 candidates.

David Carr openly talking to Cowherd today about Derek not returning to the Raiders, pending the upcoming offseason direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9yoRJYdcrU

He prefaced by saying he was speaking as an NFL analyst, not Derek's brother. But hard for me to buy that - I can't imagine David would say these things without discussing with Derek in advance of this interview.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2022/01/josh-mcdaniels-was-recruiting-assistants-for-raiders-staff-but-something-happened-report.html

Does anyone who has a The Athletic sub want to post the origin of this story? 

It seems I (and my belief the team) may have dodged the bullet. 

This also seems to confirm that the way the Raiders are approaching the GM and HC positions is a kind of package deal. It seems that they are talking to the potential candidates and getting an idea of who they want to work with etc. Is that GM or HC driven? 

The known GM candidates to date:

Trey Brown, Cincinnati Bengals (Scout)

Ed Dodds, Indianapolis Colts (Assistant General Manager)

Brandon Hunt, Pittsburgh Steelers (Scouting Coordinator)

Dwayne Joseph, Las Vegas Raiders (Director of Pro Personnel)

Champ Kelly, Chicago Bears (Assistant Director of Player Personnel)

John Spytek, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Vice President of Player Personnel)

Ruston Webster, Pittsburgh Steelers (Pro Scouting Coordinator)

Dave Ziegler, New England Patriots (Director of Player Personnel)

Users who are viewing this thread