What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Music Thread. New Year, New Music. (1 Viewer)

New Chris Farren album, err, "movie soundtrack" surprised dropped yesterday and is a fun, mostly instrumental, romp. 

To the tune of Duran Duran's "New Moon on Monday"

New Spoon at Midnight!

That I'm staying up to hear. 

Heard it's amazing,

So let's have another beer. 

Spotify RR of note:

Metronomy

Nilufer Yanya

Fontaines DC

Beach House

Wedding Present

Bodega (this was awesome)

Kurt Vile

Death Cab for Cutie

Tame Impala

Future Islands

Beirut

Empath

Spoon

Two releases I was looking forward to today from beloved hillbilly folkpunks - Sarah Shook and Hurray for the Riff Raff.  Both are a bit disappointing for me on first impression after a couple times through.

Northern Voice said:
I see Frank Turner has the #1 album in the UK with his new one FTHC. He's a great live show, I'll check that one out this weekend as well. 
I just came to post that I'm loving this one.

A poignant ode to Scott Hutchison on track 8.

Stumbled across this song while shuffling through new releases recently.  Unfortunately, I'm at a loss to explain what it is about this song that I enjoy so much.  It's not my preferred genre.  It's got a real theatrical feel to it.  I dunno.  I don't know jack about making music, I just know what I like.

Black Country, New Road - 'The Place Where He Inserted the Blade'

they had a tune, Concorde,  that popped up recently on one of my spotify lists that I immediately playlisted. not my usual wheelhouse, but it grabbed me.... kinda lack that one did for you.

I liked Good Will Hunting from their new album.
I liked their album from last year.  Just listened to this one today for the first time and it's a contender.  These 3 songs were my standouts after one listen.  

Giving Lucifer On The Sofa by Spoon another full-attention spin. I'm not sure I dug it the one other time I did, and I've been listening to individual tracks otherwise.

I'm not a huge fan of this album right now. Feeling bummed about it, actually. It's the first in four or five years, so I hoped for something a little better. I know most reviews consider it rocking, but I sort of consider it played. I wish I knew music theory and how to describe this effort, but it doesn't feel like the chord progressions or the song structures come from out of the blue like their other albums and other songs always seem to. It just feels too tired, too worn-in in sensibility. It feels too easy, too predictable. I'm certainly not begrudging Spoon anything nor do I really want to be writing this, but the new album just ain't all that as far as I'm concerned.

That may be because most of the rockers are mid-tempo or even down-tempo, and mid-tempo and down-tempo has always lost me unless there's a sonic fire or experimentation underlying the mid to slow tempo. So what a bummer. I hope they get rave reviews and critical acclaim with this one -- I'm just not feeling it yet. One saving grace: It has a song with "radio" in its title, and I've never heard a bad song with "radio" in the title. This one is no exception. 

But then they follow that up with "Astral Jacket" and "Satellite," the latter of which might disappoint me most because I'm hesitant to report and almost ashamed to admit that Dave Matthews Band's "Satellite" is a better love song. The Spoon version's saving grace, the guitar about two minutes in, isn't enough to save it from losing to DMB. 

This album has the cardinal sin of being background music. It's easy listening for rockists. What a bummer. Sad. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving Lucifer On The Sofa by Spoon another full-attention spin. I'm not sure I dug it the one other time I did, and I've been listening to individual tracks otherwise.

I'm not a huge fan of this album right now. Feeling bummed about it, actually. It's the first in four or five years, so I hoped for something a little better. I know most reviews consider it rocking, but I sort of consider it played. I wish I knew music theory and how to describe this effort, but it doesn't feel like the chord progressions or the song structures come from out of the blue like their other albums and other songs always seem to. It just feels too tired, too worn-in in sensibility. It feels too easy, too predictable. I'm certainly not begrudging Spoon anything nor do I really want to be writing this, but the new album just ain't all that as far as I'm concerned.

That may be because most of the rockers are mid-tempo or even down-tempo, and mid-tempo and down-tempo has always lost me unless there's a sonic fire or experimentation underlying the mid to slow tempo. So what a bummer. I hope they get rave reviews and critical acclaim with this one -- I'm just not feeling it yet. One saving grace: It has a song with "radio" in its title, and I've never heard a bad song with "radio" in the title. This one is no exception. 

But then they follow that up with "Astral Jacket" and "Satellite," the latter of which might disappoint me most because I'm hesitant to report and almost ashamed to admit that Dave Matthews Band's "Satellite" is a better love song. The Spoon version's saving grace, the guitar about two minutes in, isn't enough to save it from losing to DMB. 

This album has the cardinal sin of being background music. It's easy listening for rockists. What a bummer. Sad. 
that bolded feels pretty accurate.. and I like what I've heard, just not banging it out though.

on the bright side, there's this new band you should hear- fontaines dc- their new tunes have been good.

I doubt anyone has been paying attention to Taylor Swift's continued appearances on my release radar, but it's a thing... anyway I recently found the "stop showing this artist on my RR" button and smashed it quick like.

So what do I get this week?

A ska band I have never heard of covering a Tay-tay song. 

ETA: I now present to you You Need to Calm Down

I doubt anyone has been paying attention to Taylor Swift's continued appearances on my release radar, but it's a thing... anyway I recently found the "stop showing this artist on my RR" button and smashed it quick like.

So what do I get this week?

A ska band I have never heard of covering a Tay-tay song. 

ETA: I now present to you You Need to Calm Down
My recent algorithms are more like algoraintms.

El Floppo said:
you can block individual songs... and I see if you click on the artist, you can hit the dots and select "Don't play this" for the artist.
Thanks, this came in handy today.  RR keeps shoving the soundtrack to Encanto down my gullet because I've listened to Hamilton so many times (at least I think that's the reason)

Thanks, this came in handy today.  RR keeps shoving the soundtrack to Encanto down my gullet because I've listened to Hamilton so many times (at least I think that's the reason)
Spotify keeps putting Pixies and Dead Can Dance live albums on my RR. I like both bands, but these albums have been going on my RR for months. And still with this crappy Turkish edm bs. And lots of hip hop that isn't in my hip hop wheelhouse. Algorithm is fubar

I am still way out of sync with new music, it’s like I flipped a switch when I got this job or something, but I am excited for the new Riverby

I was going to "@" you or something or some other. How's the new Spoon holding up in your world? 
It made me want to listen to a whole lot of old Spoon  :lmao:

I’m glad they take different directions on different albums but I need to take another listen or two as well here

It made me want to listen to a whole lot of old Spoon  :lmao:

I’m glad they take different directions on different albums but I need to take another listen or two as well here
That guy at the concert yelling "NO NEW STUFF"? That's me right now on this one. It's not bad, I just see them as so much more inventive than where this one takes us. 

I was going to "@" you or something or some other. How's the new Spoon holding up in your world? 
I really like the new Spoon. I think it's more straightforward rock than their past couple but it really works for me. And opposite to you, "Satellite" is one of my favourites on it along with "On the Radio" and "Wild". 

In general I think this year is off to a great start. Spoon, Yard Act, Mitski, Big Thief, Pinegrove, Gang of Youths, Beach House, The Wombats and a couple others I'm forgetting and it's only February

I really like the new Spoon. I think it's more straightforward rock than their past couple but it really works for me. And opposite to you, "Satellite" is one of my favourites on it along with "On the Radio" and "Wild". 

In general I think this year is off to a great start. Spoon, Yard Act, Mitski, Big Thief, Pinegrove, Gang of Youths, Beach House, The Wombats and a couple others I'm forgetting and it's only February
you are also forgetting to put up the 2021 album poll results...

I cannot remember what year it was in mid 90's, but I was listening to a ton of female rockers that were just great. Liz Phair, Elastica, Breeders, there was a run of bands that put out great albums. 

Wet Leg reminds me of them. Looking forward to the album. 

Took a break from the forum for awhile, jumping back into this new music thread...

Enjoying the new Elvis Costello & The Imposters The Boy Named If, nice attempt by EC to get back to a rock n roll record, although I really liked Look Now, that was more of the Burt Bacharach vibe he was trying to perfect...

This is probably my favorite rock n roll record of his since Spike...

Also enjoying the new Spoon, haven't splurged on the vinyl yet, but likely will

Looking forward to the new Head & The Heart coming out in April and digging the new single by Florence + The Machine...

And missed the boat on Inhaler from last year, right up my alley... 

I cannot remember what year it was in mid 90's, but I was listening to a ton of female rockers that were just great. Liz Phair, Elastica, Breeders, there was a run of bands that put out great albums. 

Wet Leg reminds me of them. Looking forward to the album. 
It is already the leader in the clubhouse for my personal AoTY... and it will not even be released until April. 

Users who are viewing this thread