What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (2 Viewers)

copied this from the Chark thread, posted by Faust.

Positives: has good size and has shown he can ball at this level. He would be cheap for someone with very good upside paird with Smith stretching the field. our WR room right now could use a possession guy like him, for his initial two seasons he was very consistent.

Negatives: i think he's dependent on his QB play rather than a player who can make his QB better. He also looked like he was giving up on plays where the throws were not on target before he got hurt. last season was same. this trait is not a good fit with Hurts.

I've mentioned getting a DJ CHark actually and maybe someone like Juju over one of the bigger names do to our cap situation. 

🤔 I read that they may elevate someone for that spot. I’m not sure what to make of Johnson

I'm not sure how much he did with the Eagles but he was pretty important at Florida. A lot of people gave Dan Mullen credit for the QB play but Brian Johnson was instrumental in making Felipe Franks serviceable and turning Kyle Trask into a solid draft pick. Emory Jones really struggled this year and Anthony Richardson had some struggles himself. A few people including media made mentions that the lost of Brian Johnson was more significant this past season then many led on at first. One of my good sources at UF mentioned Johnson was very hands on with the QBs at Florida but because of Mullen's history of QBs he's worked with Mullen was given a lot more credit then he should've had. 

But again I don't know how much of an impact with the Eagles he's had

Well this might suck but Brian Daboul the Buff OC is apparently being hired by NYG. I'm not sure what to make of this. I've heard conflicting things about BD especially when we were interested in him. From he was hard to work with to the complete opposite. 

Well this might suck but Brian Daboul the Buff OC is apparently being hired by NYG. I'm not sure what to make of this. I've heard conflicting things about BD especially when we were interested in him. From he was hard to work with to the complete opposite. 
Pretty sure he won't be any worse than their previous three HCs. They still desperately need to fix their OL and to figure out if Jones is their guy. How much progress they make on that in year 1 will go a long way toward determining if they will stop being a joke. 

Where does adding Watson put us in the playoff race though?  We are still many pieces away from being a contender.
With a chance to win in 2023 and beyond. 

The one consistent thing about winning playoff teams isn't running the ball. It's whether or not you can go down the field for a FG in a minute. If your offense doesn't have the ability to score quickly in a must-score situation, you aren't going far.

Maybe Hurts improves to the point he can do that? My gut though says Watson is the best available QB that can do it though.  Even if it means we dont have him next year and he's suspended.

This is an odd hire IMO. I understand it’s their dream to be a HC but after having Allen and that offense, moving to NY to work with Daniel Jones or a rookie is a massive challenge. I do think this locks them into a QB with one of their two picks too. 

This is an odd hire IMO. I understand it’s their dream to be a HC but after having Allen and that offense, moving to NY to work with Daniel Jones or a rookie is a massive challenge. I do think this locks them into a QB with one of their two picks too. 
I mean, its very rare to get to be a new HC at a *good* team. I have no idea what his family situation is, but staying in state might give some benefits there it that is a factor.

I mean, its very rare to get to be a new HC at a *good* team. I have no idea what his family situation is, but staying in state might give some benefits there it that is a factor.
True but some seem to have better pieces than others. I believe him staying local did have a lot to do with it though. 

The one consistent thing about winning playoff teams isn't running the ball. It's whether or not you can go down the field for a FG in a minute. If your offense doesn't have the ability to score quickly in a must-score situation, you aren't going far.

Maybe Hurts improves to the point he can do that? My gut though says Watson is the best available QB that can do it though.  Even if it means we dont have him next year and he's suspended.
I mean SF has somehow managed to do it with awful QB play.  But I get your point.  I just feel like 1 more Hurts year to see if he can get there would be okay, and 100% draft one in next year's draft if we don't get by round 1 next year.

I dont think it locks them into one.  If he's smart he won't marry himself to one of these mediocre qbs just because. 

That said I hope they do draft a qb. the longer they are dysfunctional the better 

I dont think it locks them into one.  If he's smart he won't marry himself to one of these mediocre qbs just because. 

That said I hope they do draft a qb. the longer they are dysfunctional the better 
I think they’ve had enough of Jones there and the regime that picked him is completely gone. I’m sure they’ll try to get any available QB through trade as well but if not I fully expect them to take one in round 1. I’d be shocked and happy if they didn’t. 

And….he’s gone. Assistant GM title. Gannon the next to go? 
Wow I didn’t expect teams to be coming after our staff. 

Looks like Brady hanging it up, what a career. I’d be lying though if I didn’t say I wonder if we’d have another ring if we didn’t play them in their cheating prime in 04’. 😂

I’d be lying though if I didn’t say I wonder if we’d have another ring if we didn’t play them in their cheating prime in 04’. 😂
I wish McNabb and Reid hadn't managed the end of that game so terribly. But yeah, we'll never know to what extent their spying affected the outcome of that game. 

I wish McNabb and Reid hadn't managed the end of that game so terribly. But yeah, we'll never know to what extent their spying affected the outcome of that game. 

It effected it a great deal I talked to a lower level staff member about it. The Eagles D and O playbooks were so extensive when Phi figured out what NE was doing they couldn't switch all the signals for the playbook and had to run certain plays. By the 2nd QTR the Patriots knew what was coming the whole game. 

The cheating was pretty bad and Roger destroyed the tapes for his buddy Kraft 

Josh McDaniels now might be the next Raiders coach. How is this guy a candidate for jobs. He flamed out in DEN where he disrespected vet players and bragged how NE doesn't go anywhere the year Brady was hurt without him, says yes then backs out of a deal with Indy and 2 other then Mike Vrabel NE Assistant coaches don't have success in the NFL as HC. That's 3 strikes for me right there. Raiders doing Raider things though

Josh McDaniels now might be the next Raiders coach. How is this guy a candidate for jobs. He flamed out in DEN where he disrespected vet players and bragged how NE doesn't go anywhere the year Brady was hurt without him, says yes then backs out of a deal with Indy and 2 other then Mike Vrabel NE Assistant coaches don't have success in the NFL as HC. That's 3 strikes for me right there. Raiders doing Raider things though
I was actually thinking it was the best hire so far 🤷‍♂️.  He got a NE GM, has his Welker/Edelman in Renfrow, solid TE’s and decent RB’s. I think he’ll do well there. 

Watson rumors flying again today too

After watching these games we definitely need a QB sooner rather than later and more weapons.  

Pretty wild that this scenario happened again multiple times this weekend.  And San Fran proved that once you get stuck running the ball, without that offense you sputter.  Obviously there's more factors - O line, DLine pressure, etc..  But at the end of day you need to be able to move down the field quickly. Run based offenses won't work consistently.  Which, interestingly enough - I think Siriani knows. He only did that when forces too - fan yelled at him for trying hard to get a pass offense going...but that IS how you win.

Watson rumors flying again today too

After watching these games we definitely need a QB sooner rather than later and more weapons.  
I'm not convinced we need many more weapons tbh. Smith, Watkins, Goedert, Sanders/Gainwell.... we need one more WR, but that's really it.  They are decent weapons.   We either need Hurts to make a leap and be able to actually use them, or to get a QB that has that potential.

babydemon90 said:
I'm not convinced we need many more weapons tbh. Smith, Watkins, Goedert, Sanders/Gainwell.... we need one more WR, but that's really it.  They are decent weapons.   We either need Hurts to make a leap and be able to actually use them, or to get a QB that has that potential.
Wonder what it would really take to get watson.

Side note, I heard some writer speculate that the reason Pederson was getting no interest is because he was being blackballed for tanking against the Giants last year (I think people forget how bad Hurts was in that first half).

Side note, I heard some writer speculate that the reason Pederson was getting no interest is because he was being blackballed for tanking against the Giants last year (I think people forget how bad Hurts was in that first half).
Not sure I buy that. Blackballed by who, team owners? GM's? He was doing exactly what was in the best interest of the owner and GM, even if he might have disagreed as a "football guy." If anything, being able to "follow orders" to help the franchise even if it makes you look bad would be a point in his favor to the guys doing the hiring. 

Not sure I buy that. Blackballed by who, team owners? GM's? He was doing exactly what was in the best interest of the owner and GM, even if he might have disagreed as a "football guy." If anything, being able to "follow orders" to help the franchise even if it makes you look bad would be a point in his favor to the guys doing the hiring. 
Yea seems sketchy.  More likely its because he doesnt seem able to get a staff together. If he can't get a HC job with all these openings though, hes prob gonna have to rehab his offensive prowess with an OC job somewhere

Yea seems sketchy.  More likely its because he doesnt seem able to get a staff together. If he can't get a HC job with all these openings though, hes prob gonna have to rehab his offensive prowess with an OC job somewhere
I think it’s getting more and more clear with Doug. 

I think it’s obvious he was a puppet and Howie, along with the more seasoned coaches, we’re the ones running the show. As we lost coaches all Doug could do was elevate the trash he had. He never seemed to have connections to land high level coaches from around the league. We were part of the ones that revolutionized the aggressive approach of going for it on 4th downs and going for 2.   Coaches like that, who are 3 years removed from a SB are highly sought after, he’s the opposite. To only have one interview after being fired for an OC job is eye-opening. 

When the supporting cast was almost completely gone you could see all his warts. His game planning and in game coaching looked awful. He couldn’t speak well either and probably is a horrible interview. 

Interestingly enough, this weekend when San Fran had 4th and 2 across midfield and punted - I immediately said that was going to cost them the game.

The entire Doug Pederson era has humbled me in so many ways too. How him and Wentz looked to start and how the finished is just a huge lesson in how little you really can predict the future in this sport or players. After the SB there was so many things I was sure of and nearly all of them held true lol

I think it’s getting more and more clear with Doug. 

I think it’s obvious he was a puppet and Howie, along with the more seasoned coaches, we’re the ones running the show. As we lost coaches all Doug could do was elevate the trash he had. He never seemed to have connections to land high level coaches from around the league. We were part of the ones that revolutionized the aggressive approach of going for it on 4th downs and going for 2.   Coaches like that, who are 3 years removed from a SB are highly sought after, he’s the opposite. To only have one interview after being fired for an OC job is eye-opening. 

When the supporting cast was almost completely gone you could see all his warts. His game planning and in game coaching looked awful. He couldn’t speak well either and probably is a horrible interview. 

Yep, Doug was just the front man, but all the work was done by our OC.  There's a reason no one wants him right now.

coming back to wilson for a minute. let's  say we get him at the price we like. where does that put us in the next two seasons? right now we have pretty good pieces and if we accept this year was a rebuild, then we did pretty good and we're very much well on our way. but we're nowhere in the neighborhood of the four teams yesterday, except maybe niners who blows, and replacing Hurts with Wilson I don't think gets us much closer. so giving up anything for him that include early draft picks, well i'm not sure there is any price i'd pay for him that include picks.

looking out two seasons because that's basically what we have with the young contracts including Smith. So, NFC East champs a good target in the next season or two? deeper into the playoffs? what does success look like short term?

I thought for sure when he pulled out on Indy that it would be the end of his hiring days until BB retires and then the Pats might turn it over to him for a while. 

I'm shocked that he is going to be a Head Coach next year. 

And I'm more shocked he would take a job in the AFC...is BB retiring the same time with Brady? The reason that seems wild to me are 4 Big Guns at QB right now...Allen-Burrow-Mahomes-Herbert and he doesn't have any of these guys and even worse he might see 2 of them 4x a year if not more should he be able to get the LVR into the Playoffs. 

I cringe thinking about this guy as a head coach again, it won't take long for the locker room to start leaking things. He cannot rule with an iron fist the way BB does in New England, they won't let him get away with it, no now. 

My initial reaction is similar to when they announced Meyer in Jax, many of you saw that thread and what I wrote splashed across the title. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm more shocked he would take a job in the AFC...is BB retiring the same time with Brady? The reason that seems wild to me are 4 Big Guns at QB right now...Allen-Burrow-Mahomes-Herbert and he doesn't have any of these guys and even worse he might see 2 of them 4x a year if not more should he be able to get the LVR into the Playoffs. 
And he might have to do it without Carr if some of the earlier reports are true that Carr may ask for a trade if he's not happy with the coach/direction of the team as they undergo this makeover. Maybe they got his blessing and that's why they moved so fast on McDaniels? 

Of course, Carr only has 1 year left so the decision might not even be his. Maybe the new GM doesn't think Carr is worth extending or franchising and they move him and go full on rebuild. That would buy McDaniels more time, I guess.  

But, totally agree, I don't see the appeal of him as a head coach hire, let alone how thirsty the Raiders made themselves look to get him.  :shrug:

Houston, Atlanta, Washington, and Minnesota all draft ahead of the Eagles. Would Corral make it to 15?
Who knows right now. He may smash his workouts and go higher than expected. I just thought it was a decent and detailed mock that had us landing players at a lot of key positions and needs. 

It’s a strange situation to be in. I get the appeal of trading back to next year but also really like these 4 players. If it’s possible to land them it’s hard to justify dealing back. 

I was actually thinking it was the best hire so far 🤷‍♂️.  He got a NE GM, has his Welker/Edelman in Renfrow, solid TE’s and decent RB’s. I think he’ll do well there. 

I think they'll be ok but McDaniel has no idea how to talk to players. NE is the last coaching tree I'd go for given the lack of success and arrogance that comes from many of the coaches who haven't done much outside of NE yet. It's pretty telling when those who didn't drink the kool aid come out and say stuff about it like Chris Long and Blount and NE sends their goons like Rodney Harrison and others out to to publicly defend "The Patriot Way" and act like those players were nothing special anyway. Chris Long talked about this on his podcast awhile back like even during the SB pregame and leading up to it guys who he considered friends wanted nothing to do with him. I mean I get some players taking things seriously all business like but come on. Based on some of the example Long was talking about it was over the top. 

I'll give NE and Bill Credit though. They've worked up a ton of a kool aid drinkers to the point they have their own little army that when someone talks poorly on them they send out them out to bully said person and do their PR for them. Just not the way I'd conduct business honestly. and I think one of the reasons a lot of people detest the organization. 

And I'll also never get that story about McDaniel having a meeting with Jay Cutler were Josh bragged about how the Patriots after Brady tore his ACL the first time and had Cassel at QB wouldn't have won all those games without Josh. He basically sat in that meeting with Cutler and his agent and all he did was brag about himself and how horrible he thought Cutler was. It was too the point Cutler and his agent walked out of the meeting and Jay told his agent get me the F out of here immediately that guys a psyco. 

My issue with the patriot way is you need enough players to buy into the BS and drink the kool aid. NE had enough success where they kind of have that foundation now. Even now not being as successful it's ingrained there because of the past success. These NE assistants and other personal going else were are trying to build from the ground up and most see right through the BS. Chip Kelly tried to do it here as well 

Pretty sure he won't be any worse than their previous three HCs. They still desperately need to fix their OL and to figure out if Jones is their guy. How much progress they make on that in year 1 will go a long way toward determining if they will stop being a joke. 

Yeah I wanted Daboll here before we hired Nick but then I started to hear some stuff about the guy I wasn't a fan of. The reports I got were conflicting though. so who knows. What would concern me is outside of Allen Buff has zero run game 

Users who are viewing this thread