What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

POTUS casts doubt on legitimacy of Mid-term elections. (1 Viewer)

Well, I was one of those people, and obviously I was wrong.  It's worth stopping to reflect on how my expectations got off track.

Biden has been a national political figure for literally my entire life.  He was running for president when I was in high school.  He is a known commodity, like soybeans or American cheese.  He's always been a centrist on domestic policy and firmly planted in the consensus school of foreign policy.  Do I agree with him on every issue?  No of course not.  But in policy terms is pretty much down the fairway.  If a person was looking for a return to normalcy, Biden seemed like he would be quite possibly the single most reliable choice imaginable.

Biden has also always been good on "norms."  This is hard to quantify because it's only become an issue fairly recently, but Biden seemed like a guy who wouldn't try to blow up the senate or supreme court if he didn't get his way on some policy or another.  In fact, the idea of Biden taking dynamite to any of these institutions seemed kind of unthinkable.

Where I should have seen warning signs was during the campaign, when Biden was totally MIA.  At the time, I thought this was a shrewd campaign strategy.  Keep Biden off the stage, eliminate the possibility of a stupid gaffe (the kind that Biden is famous for), and just make the election a referendum on Trump.  Makes sense, no problem.  Now it's obvious that the reason why Biden didn't campaign is because he couldn't.  Quite a few right-wingers were saying this during the campaign.  They were right and I was wrong.  

Also, I was assuming that Biden's cabinet would be made up of other centrist old-hands and that his style of government would follow accordingly.  Instead, it feels like his administration is being run by 20-somethings from Twitter and he's just along for the ride.  

Maybe I'm misreading all of this.  That would be great because it would mean there's a possibility for Biden to turn things around.  But I suspect he's not able to do so because he's just not up for the job anymore.  

This is how I see a lot of it as well. 

Especially the campaign stuff. I thought he was playing "rope a dope" and thought my conservative friends were being dumb in railing on him not getting out of the basement. I'm sure there was some of that "Let Trump make the unforced errors" / "don't risk throwing a pass when you have a big lead" element. But I missed on this. 

And FWIW, this will never ever get into a public confession of regret thing. That's ridiculous. That's just now how people operate. 

One, it's the internet and by and large, most people won't admit they're wrong even though they say the will. (IK above is a mensch and one of the exceptions)

Second, it's just sort of gross for the one side to demand the other submit to them this way. It's a weird pscyho boyfriend vibe that's just unattractive. And that goes for both sides. 

Where I should have seen warning signs was during the campaign, when Biden was totally MIA.  At the time, I thought this was a shrewd campaign strategy.  Keep Biden off the stage, eliminate the possibility of a stupid gaffe (the kind that Biden is famous for), and just make the election a referendum on Trump.  Makes sense, no problem.  Now it's obvious that the reason why Biden didn't campaign is because he couldn't.  Quite a few right-wingers were saying this during the campaign.  They were right and I was wrong.  
I don’t fault voters for thinking that way during the election. I blame  the media for aiding the campaign. They knew the deal , they knew what was going on.

Wait......didnt he say the 2020 election was the most secure ever?

This is all political theater. 

The reality is we are weak.  We are concerned the wrong ####. 

I don't disagree with any of this.   

But I still prefer Biden over Trump for reasons that I have listed before.  
Same here.  I SO want Biden to articulate that he is in control, has plans on multiple fronts to get this country back on track, but I'm losing faith in him and those around him to do the right thing, get out the right messages.  This is where Obama and really more Clinton were good.   Biden seems more like the angry old man in Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood) on the porch -lashing out--

That said,  he came into a really tough atmosphere; ~30% of the country not even thinking he's legit POTUS, a pandemic and its global affects etc.

Trump got what he wanted at least from my view. I too don't trust the legitimacy of the upcoming elections and that is all thanks to Trump and the Republicans gaslighting the American electorate and making sure we see the boogeyman at every turn of the election process. The bs that occurred and that continues to occur by Trump supporting officials, both elected and appointed, throughout local and state agencies makes me certain that cheating and fraud will happen as now we are at a "win at all costs" atmosphere. The commies that are tearing apart the fabric of our great nation must be Stopped!

This is how I see a lot of it as well. 

Especially the campaign stuff. I thought he was playing "rope a dope" and thought my conservative friends were being dumb in railing on him not getting out of the basement. I'm sure there was some of that "Let Trump make the unforced errors" / "don't risk throwing a pass when you have a big lead" element. But I missed on this. 
His decline in mental faculties and overall competency were obvious, and I think a lot of people were kidding themselves. 

Unfortunately, like 2016, we were left with a choice between two #### sandwiches. 

As much as I disagreed with Obama's policies, he was unquestionably the sharpest POTUS we've had since Clinton. Why is it so difficult for us to elect bright leaders? 

Well, I was one of those people, and obviously I was wrong.  It's worth stopping to reflect on how my expectations got off track.

Biden has been a national political figure for literally my entire life.  He was running for president when I was in high school.  He is a known commodity, like soybeans or American cheese.  He's always been a centrist on domestic policy and firmly planted in the consensus school of foreign policy.  Do I agree with him on every issue?  No of course not.  But in policy terms is pretty much down the fairway.  If a person was looking for a return to normalcy, Biden seemed like he would be quite possibly the single most reliable choice imaginable.

Biden has also always been good on "norms."  This is hard to quantify because it's only become an issue fairly recently, but Biden seemed like a guy who wouldn't try to blow up the senate or supreme court if he didn't get his way on some policy or another.  In fact, the idea of Biden taking dynamite to any of these institutions seemed kind of unthinkable.

Also, I was assuming that Biden's cabinet would be made up of other centrist old-hands and that his style of government would follow accordingly.  Instead, it feels like his administration is being run by 20-somethings from Twitter and he's just along for the ride.  

Maybe I'm misreading all of this.  That would be great because it would mean there's a possibility for Biden to turn things around.  But I suspect he's not able to do so because he's just not up for the job anymore.  
He seemed pretty out of it during the Dem primaries, so I was totally perplexed as to why so many people thought he was the best choice to beat Trump. I guess it worked, but we could have had a young centrist like Buttigieg who is capable of articulating his ideas.

I still think he’s better than Trump, but I’m sick of being embarrassed about our president. 

It reminds me of McConnell denying Merrick Garland, and then ramming ACB through at the 11th hour.  He did so with a straight face too.  Because he doesn’t care what he said previously, it was all bull#### then and is now. It’s the other side who is tasked with looking up what he said and pointing out all the many contradictions.  Mitch doesn’t deal from a  Place of morality, truth, or honor.  He deals from a place of dishonesty and apathy.  Much like Sartre talks about above.  

Many here revere Mitch and model their tactics after him. Which is to not debate at all.  It’s word salad and dishonest discourse from the get go.  They know it’s absurd.  They are simply amused that you care.  
I can certainly agree that the tactics used were two faced.  The other thing I've learned while seeing how Garland has performed in the cabinet is that the country is incredibly better off he didn't make SCOTUS.  He's been a horrible AG.

And plenty of "smart" and "rational" people somehow thought he'd be an obvious improvement over Trump. 
POTUS has three jobs - a statesman, a decision maker, and a policy setter.  Trump was 1/3.  Joe is 0/3.  

The only improvement has been in the Twitterverse.  Everything else has been a big step back.  Incredibly disappointing for a politician with 50 years experience.  

Wait......didnt he say the 2020 election was the most secure ever?

This is all political theater. 

The reality is we are weak.  We are concerned the wrong ####. 
I just read this thread hoping someone would explain this.  If we just had the fairest and most secure election in history, why are we attempting a massive overhaul and federal takeover of our elections?  

I think there is also a muted understanding of how "not normal" things are because the national press is much less aggressive with Biden.

Things were not normal with Trump, because he's not normal.  It was laid bare and magnified through his frequent press interactions where they were also extremely aggressive (that's not a judgement but an observation).

While Biden is certainly more normal than Trump, its impossible not to be, if he 1) Was more visible and 2) Was questioned as aggressively as Trump...things would feel much, much less normal than they do (and they're not good to begin with).

So I guess we all feel better because its just not in our face as much but I'm not sure that means anything more than we're being lulled into a false sense normalcy.  Many examples but very recent cases including the Ukraine strategy blunder and questioning election illegitimacy

He is.  Look at the stock market.  Way higher than Trump ever got.  
And don't forget GDP!!!!  Those were basically the only things ever trotted out as "proof" of how good Trump was.  We don't want to use that measure now?  Or we want to add a bunch of the things many of us pointed out under Trump that were factors that were rejected then?  File this last one in the "better late than never...if even temporary" folder....it's getting pretty full though :lmao:  

I think there is also a muted understanding of how "not normal" things are because the national press is much less aggressive with Biden.

Things were not normal with Trump, because he's not normal.  It was laid bare and magnified through his frequent press interactions where they were also extremely aggressive (that's not a judgement but an observation).

While Biden is certainly more normal than Trump, its impossible not to be, if he 1) Was more visible and 2) Was questioned as aggressively as Trump...things would feel much, much less normal than they do (and they're not good to begin with).

So I guess we all feel better because its just not in our face as much but I'm not sure that means anything more than we're being lulled into a false sense normalcy.  Many examples but very recent cases including the Ukraine strategy blunder and questioning election illegitimacy
This is ONLY true if one insists on looking at things through our news media.  There's plenty that is obviously screwed up with Biden.  There isn't much "normal" about this administration in my view.  Not different than the last other than categories of evidence honestly.  That's to say, this is going pretty bad for Biden as it was for Trump, but for really different reasons.

I don’t fault voters for thinking that way during the election. I blame  the media for aiding the campaign. They knew the deal , they knew what was going on.

Agreed...that is really the big issue in many ways...I fully get the anyone but Trump voting and I understand Biden got the nod because they had no one else to stop Bernie that could also beat Trump...fully understand and don't have any issues with that...what wasn't acceptable is much of the "mainstream media" picked a side, was hostile to Trump and did nothing to vet Biden and allowed him to basically not have to do anything in this campaign outside of not being Donald Trump...that is not their job and is one of the reasons they are held in such low esteem...and we now have a President that outside of not being Trump has no business being in the position he is in...if the media did their job no one would be surprised right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is ONLY true if one insists on looking at things through our news media.
Haha, I love your anti news media crusade...I agree and you are very consistent!

That said, we have to acknowledge the reality that this is where the very large majority of the "informed" members of our country gets their information.

Also, for better or worse we rely on the press to probe the President and the Press Secy during briefings.  You and I don't have those credentials and there are not a lot of other forums to get information and ask questions that is not some canned bull#### commercial.

I just read this thread hoping someone would explain this.  If we just had the fairest and most secure election in history, why are we attempting a massive overhaul and federal takeover of our elections?  
Because states responded to that secure election by trying to change things because they didn't like the results?

Haha, I love your anti news media crusade...I agree and you are very consistent!

That said, we have to acknowledge the reality that this is where the very large majority of the "informed" members of our country gets their information.

Also, for better or worse we rely on the press to probe the President and the Press Secy during briefings.  You and I don't have those credentials and there are not a lot of other forums to get information and ask questions that is not some canned bull#### commercial.
It's the number one problem we have in this country as far as I can see.  I will pound that drum until the day I die.

People are lazy and many (if not most) are simply looking for confirmation.  We know that all the media outlets are interested in is their time.  If spoon feeding them things to confirm a bias is how to keep their attention, they are more than happy to oblige.  

I can certainly agree that the tactics used were two faced.  The other thing I've learned while seeing how Garland has performed in the cabinet is that the country is incredibly better off he didn't make SCOTUS.  He's been a horrible AG.

POTUS has three jobs - a statesman, a decision maker, and a policy setter.  Trump was 1/3.  Joe is 0/3.  

The only improvement has been in the Twitterverse.  Everything else has been a big step back.  Incredibly disappointing for a politician with 50 years experience.  
That may be the case but this set an awful precedent.  It the objection wasn't to Garland, but to Obama.   I truly believe this was where American politics crossed the Rubicon.  

It's the same thing as the left trashing "operation warp speed".....anything on Trumps watch was not to be trusted......but Biden takes office and the whole thing shifts to look how great Biden is getting the vax out there......It's all theater.

The reality is, screwing with elections has been going on since elections existed.  The ante is now upped to just pre-emptive declaration of illegitimate election.  Trump knew there was good chance he'd lose and what was at stake.....Biden is feeling that now in the mid terms.  His approval is low.  The left plays on peoples emotions, and trashes Trump.......then reality sets in.  Biden is a lame duck prez who is showing weakness to the rest of the world.

As for these elections, I'm sure both sides have elaborate systems to mess with em, along with elaborate coverups so they can deny everything.

Has Biden tried to blow up the Senate or Supreme Court?  I understand that he's advocated for removing the filibuster or carving out an exception, but that basically seems like a norm to me at this point, given that both parties have spent the last decade plus carving out exceptions to the filibuster.  Best I can tell, his only action re: SCOTUS was to punt to a committee that he knew perfectly well would amount to nothing.

What specific items have felt like 20-somethings from Twitter?  I agree that there have been missteps.  The Afghanistan withdrawal clearly suffered from incorrect calculations/predictions regarding what would happen after our withdrawal.  The administration clearly blew it on COVID testing and PPE for the public.  However, those seem to have simply been mistakes, not driven by ideology in any way.  If anything, the COVID mistakes seem to have been driven at least in part by trying to appease big business, something that seems perfectly on brand for centrist old-hands.

That may be the case but this set an awful precedent.  It the objection wasn't to Garland, but to Obama.   I truly believe this was where American politics crossed the Rubicon.  
I'd personally put the ball rolling with Reid screwing with the judicial filibuster, but your assertion certainly has merit.

Dems set the precedent with Bork.
That crossed my mind, as well.  That was a cold blooded political assassination.  

I still think Reid started the ball rolling on the trajectory it's going now.  I'd have harsher things to say about him but the dude just died, so I'll leave it there.

Wow 8 drop box's in a county of over a million people. There are 5 in my town of 100,000. Does seem a little restrictive.
And they have 47 post offices.  And a bunch of post office carriers who will come to your house, take your completed ballot, and send it in to be voted.

Is it too much friction in the voting process to ask that folks walk to and from their mailboxes twice?

That crossed my mind, as well.  That was a cold blooded political assassination.  

I still think Reid started the ball rolling on the trajectory it's going now.  I'd have harsher things to say about him but the dude just died, so I'll leave it there.
He changed the rules because the Republicans did the same thing the Dems did to Bush 1 and 2 for Judicial nominees. Dems have tried to block SCJ nominees like 10 times.

Like Georgia?  Which part of the new laws there do you have a problem with?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56650565
Not specifically there no.  The part of Georgia's law that bothers me is described here...

The law also politicizes the state’s board of elections and grants the board new powers to remove professional election officials and seize control of election administration in specific jurisdictions, which could lead to partisan influence in the election certification process. Moreover, partisan actors sought to review the election results in Fulton County because of false allegations of fraud, despite the fact that state election officials conducted a statutory audit that led to a full hand count along with two machine counts.
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-december-2021

Yes...its a left/left-center biased source...though, one that properly sources their materials and gets the facts straight.  Quite a bit overall in that link...that Georgia part was in answer to what you are asking about Georgia's Laws.  Other articles like an ABC one talked about before in a more vague way indicate it was not just in Georgia that this is happening.

Here in TN we have some redistrictricting being done to break up Davidson County to try and eliminate any power from the left in Nashville.

It's the same thing as the left trashing "operation warp speed".....anything on Trumps watch was not to be trusted......but Biden takes office and the whole thing shifts to look how great Biden is getting the vax out there......It's all theater.

The reality is, screwing with elections has been going on since elections existed.  The ante is now upped to just pre-emptive declaration of illegitimate election.  Trump knew there was good chance he'd lose and what was at stake.....Biden is feeling that now in the mid terms.  His approval is low.  The left plays on peoples emotions, and trashes Trump.......then reality sets in.  Biden is a lame duck prez who is showing weakness to the rest of the world.

As for these elections, I'm sure both sides have elaborate systems to mess with em, along with elaborate coverups so they can deny everything.
Operation Warp Speed was not trashed.  We have gone over this with the actual quotes from Biden and Kamala...the full quotes.  They trashed Trump's boasting promises (and rightfully so)...but never the doctors and those working on the vaccine.  

Biden is seeing laws being written to try and give the GOP even more advantages...that is what they are reacting to.

Not specifically there no.  The part of Georgia's law that bothers me is described here...

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-december-2021

Yes...its a left/left-center biased source...though, one that properly sources their materials and gets the facts straight.  Quite a bit overall in that link...that Georgia part was in answer to what you are asking about Georgia's Laws.  Other articles like an ABC one talked about before in a more vague way indicate it was not just in Georgia that this is happening.

Here in TN we have some redistrictricting being done to break up Davidson County to try and eliminate any power from the left in Nashville.
That's not an unreasonable objection at all, but I don't think it justifies a federal takeover of the election process.  It certainly doesn't justify calling people who oppose the federal takeover racists. 

Wow 8 drop box's in a county of over a million people. There are 5 in my town of 100,000. Does seem a little restrictive.
  I had never heard of drop boxes before 2020.  Are they somehow crucial to election integrity?

That's not an unreasonable objection at all, but I don't think it justifies a federal takeover of the election process.  It certainly doesn't justify calling people who oppose the federal takeover racists. 

I had never heard of drop boxes before 2020.  Are they somehow crucial to election integrity?
2020 we had the most people vote in history, is that bad? We also had the most secure election. Why the need to change what worked?

2020 we had the most people vote in history, is that bad? We also had the most secure election. Why the need to change what worked?
I don't know.  I really wouldn't have a problem with them, but I'm glad that GA was able to decide for themselves about whether to have them and how many to have.  

"Late stage voters" are roughly about 1 out of every 10 total votes cast.

There's a reason why Hillary Clinton spent more campaign money in her last week and a half before election day that some general cycles spent in total altogether. And it's the reason why Trump actually went into debt to try to drive more ad coverage in the last month of his 2016 campaign. The 2020 cycle showed Trump ran out of money but his team strategically saved what they had left for the final month. This was a critical mistake and if Kellyanne Conway was still onboard I don't think that would have happened.

While the polling industry is totally cooked, it wasn't hard to see the practical battlegrounds in the 2020 general cycle. Biden disappearing risked all of them. There's a reason Barack Obama came out of nowhere at the end to start campaigning. Some people will call that unusual, I call it insulting to the American people. It's one thing to have an Obama  "Shadow Third Term" be the worst kept secret in professional politics. It's another to flaunt it in people's faces.

There is nothing "shrewd" about Biden's MIA. Disappearing runs counter to all practical modern American political strategy. There's also no media optics patchover for something like that.

The only reason that Biden's cognitive "threat point" was not more widely discussed was because the left has control over Big Social Media, Big Tech, Big Finance, Big Education, Hollywood and most of the activist complicit MSM.

A crossover example to the 2024 cycle is the Democratic Party stands to take staggering losses with working class minority voters. But again, the idea seems to be to just pretend it doesn't exist and that no one should talk about it.

The real "warning signs" on an election getting cooked is the behavior of repeat donors or legacy big name donors during the stretch run. "Insider trading" doesn't just happen in the stock market. In a situation like that, you have more red flags in front of you than at a CCP military parade.   When Trump couldn't get the same money from the same power players like he did near the end like 2016, it should have clued him in on what was going on.

The large issue is not if you were individually right or wrong, it's that an establishment cabal decided for you on what you should see or not see and hear or not hear. That's not freedom. That doesn't respect your right to self agency. It's an open declaration that you and your children are nothing more than cattle.

ding

ding

ding
Except...its not really true.  1.  Given what we saw Psaki say to make the point more clear.  2.  Liberals here are also not just OK with it.  3.  He is not out lying about the results of the election constantly to whip people into a frenzy but trying to gain support for legislation that will try to keep things more secure in the hands of the voters vs. partisan election boards.

Except...its not really true.  1.  Given what we saw Psaki say to make the point more clear.  2.  Liberals here are also not just OK with it.  3.  He is not out lying about the results of the election constantly to whip people into a frenzy but trying to gain support for legislation that will try to keep things more secure in the hands of the voters vs. partisan election boards.

Psaki's job is to smooth over everything Joe said to make it sound like something it isn't and wasn't ............. Biden is often very honest when answering questions which is why they don't like him too

The "lie" right now is election integrity laws and the Democrats fighting hard against stronger rules/reg's on voting ..... Democrats don't want that, and that should raise big red flags to everybody.

but lets be honest - as long as Democrats win, and force their agenda .... does it matter how they do it to you? Serious question .... to oust Trump, a little cheating would have been ok wouldn't it? 

that's where we are in politics ..... the divisions are so great now, the hate going so deep, that it doesn't matter as long as your side or my side wins :(  

Psaki's job is to smooth over everything Joe said to make it sound like something it isn't and wasn't ............. Biden is often very honest when answering questions which is why they don't like him too

The "lie" right now is election integrity laws and the Democrats fighting hard against stronger rules/reg's on voting ..... Democrats don't want that, and that should raise big red flags to everybody.

but lets be honest - as long as Democrats win, and force their agenda .... does it matter how they do it to you? Serious question .... to oust Trump, a little cheating would have been ok wouldn't it? 

that's where we are in politics ..... the divisions are so great now, the hate going so deep, that it doesn't matter as long as your side or my side wins :(  
They’re setting the narrative for post mid-terms talking points.  We lost not because of our agenda but clearly voter suppression.  

The red flag is the right wants fewer people to vote.  Trump specifically wanted vote counting to stop during the election...because he didn't want legal votes to even be counted.  These laws have been pushed to lower voter turnout...that is exactly what the GOP has been doing for quite some time.  Because more voters is typically bad for the GOP.  Elections and people's votes have been secure...securing the ability for all eligible to vote is an important issue.

They’re setting the narrative for post mid-terms talking points.  We lost not because of our agenda but clearly voter suppression.  
Well...these laws were in reaction to the GOP losing...see above.  More votes is bad for the GOP.  So how do they fix that?  Do everything they can to make sure fewer people vote.

sho nuff said:
The red flag is the right wants fewer people to vote.  Trump specifically wanted vote counting to stop during the election...because he didn't want legal votes to even be counted.  These laws have been pushed to lower voter turnout...that is exactly what the GOP has been doing for quite some time.  Because more voters is typically bad for the GOP.  Elections and people's votes have been secure...securing the ability for all eligible to vote is an important issue.

Well...these laws were in reaction to the GOP losing...see above.  More votes is bad for the GOP.  So how do they fix that?  Do everything they can to make sure fewer people vote.
Voting options changed dramatically based entirely on pandemic.   So states are passing new laws to regulate.   We won’t know if fewer people will vote until 2024.  

Voting options changed dramatically based entirely on pandemic.   So states are passing new laws to regulate.   We won’t know if fewer people will vote until 2024.  
Thats not all what was in these laws though.

We won't know if fewer people vote...sure.  But speaking generally and historically, GOP does better, when fewer people vote.  So their election laws are typically centered on ensuring fewer people vote.  Democrats...the other way around...they want more people to vote because historically high voter turnout is better for Democrats.

stlrams said:

The Left: "Isn't it awful that those guys over there are questioning the legitimacy of the election!?!? OMG!!  Round them up!"

Also The Left: "Hey, if we lose next time it's because the election wasn't legitimate"

sho nuff said:
Except...its not really true.  1.  Given what we saw Psaki say to make the point more clear
POTUS was fairly clear in his statements.  Psaki spin doesn't change that.  

Users who are viewing this thread