What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Book Bannings (1 Viewer)

Those books shouldn't have been removed from the curriculum. That is dumb. However, those books were not banned. They were available in the school library, they just weren't included in the required reading lists.

I hope we can agree that sending some goons into a high school library and boxing up books is ridiculous

Those books shouldn't have been removed from the curriculum. That is dumb. However, those books were not banned. They were available in the school library, they just weren't included in the required reading lists.

I hope we can agree that sending some goons into a high school library and boxing up books is ridiculous
I guess I need to read closer.   I took it as they aren't available at some school libraries now.  Or maybe I crossed up other examples.  

Texas recently went on a huge book banning brigade too. No idea why that one didn't get more publicity. 

Those ones were actually banned from schools. Not just reading lists. 

I remember it clearly because they started rounding them up on the same day Jon mx started a thread about some 3rd rate nobody Democrat citizen (not anyone in the gov, just a regular person) posting something fascist on Twitter. On the same day an actual gop Texas legislator was starting to actually round up and ban books from schools. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas recently went on a huge book banning brigade too. No idea why that one didn't get more publicity. 

Those ones were actually banned from schools. Not just reading lists. 

I remember it clearly because they started rounding them up on the same day Jon mx started a thread about some 3rd rate nobody Democrat citizen (not anyone in the gov, just a regular person) posting something fascist on Twitter. On the same day an actual gop Texas legislator was starting to actually round up and ban books from schools. 
Yea, @urbanhack posted that on the previous page

https://twitter.com/cjtackett/status/1486788612511383553

Matt Krause wants to ban 850 books. https://twitter.com/cjtackett/status/1486788612511383553

More than half are ones that deal woth LGBTQ issues. The others deal with sex eduaction and racism, while others just seem to be random

And here is just a link of his punchable face https://www.txdirectory.com/online/person/?id=44689&office=16750

I mean, can anyone make the case that banning books is remotely heading in the right direction?

Pretty sure we had this issue settled by the time Footloose came out.

what the heckarooney is wrong with these people?
Are you the type of person who reads a book that you disagree with, watches a YT video you didn't like, or listens to podcast that rubbed you the wrong way and thinks to himself "Gee, I really disagree with that guy -- I wonder what other folks who encountered this POV thought about it?"  If so, you might want to reflect on the fact that you're the weird outlier.

The people who are in decision-making roles in all major institutions -- government, the media, academia, the entertainment industry -- all think more along the lines of "Gee, I really disagree with that guy -- he should be deplatformed."  The world belongs to those folks.

Do people even go to libraries anymore?  Forgive me if I am more concerned with censorship and political bias at Big Tech.  You know, the people who have a stranglehold on the flow of information today.

Do people even go to libraries anymore?  Forgive me if I am more concerned with censorship and political bias at Big Tech.  You know, the people who have a stranglehold on the flow of information today.
People definitely go to libraries.  Our town library, right here in CT, is frequently packed.  Kids, teens, high-schoolers, and adults.

ekbeats said:
you should be concerned about both, particularly the one that is a state actor.

1. An acclaimed MLK-themed novel, Dear Martin by @getnicced, was removed from a 10th-grade English class in North Carolina

The decision was made in a matter of hours after one parent complaint

Things get more disturbing from there

https://t.co/LtE0hJXl7U

Interesting to see people taking one position in this thread and a very different position in the various Joe Rogan threads.

Interesting to see people taking one position in this thread and a very different position in the various Joe Rogan threads.
Have people?

The voting in that thread seems that he should not be removed from spotify...correct?  How many are arguing that he should be, yet books should not be banned?  (or vice versa if you are claiming that).

"6/23 Book banning often happens in waves. For example, when Ronald Reagan became President in 1980, the early years of his administration were marked by a surge in the number of challenges brought to books."

"8/23 There was a similar surge at the start of the Trump presidency. More recently, because GOP politicians have been inflaming panic over “critical race theory,” we’re experiencing another wave of book challenges."

"6/23 Book banning often happens in waves. For example, when Ronald Reagan became President in 1980, the early years of his administration were marked by a surge in the number of challenges brought to books."

"8/23 There was a similar surge at the start of the Trump presidency. More recently, because GOP politicians have been inflaming panic over “critical race theory,” we’re experiencing another wave of book challenges."

Now do To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn!

https://ncac.org/youth-censorship-database

Map with various book banning attempts.

Disclaimer: Please note that this data is not comprehensive. The data is drawn from reports to NCAC and its partner organizations, as well as from media coverage. Many, if not most, incidents of censorship go unreported. Our tracking has grown more robust over time, but records from earlier years are less complete. The American Library Association has averaged reports of 395 cases per year since 2001 and suggests that over 80% of cases cannot be tracked.

I don't THINK I am one of those people, but I could see having a slightly different take if something was presented as news/fact and if it's a novel about a topic.  

not one of them, yet surprisingly some can even see the differences between the two.

CRT books should be challenged.  Hate-mongering books which misinform kids about history to create racial tensions have no place in schools.  CRTers are as bad a KKKers and I don't even mean that as a hyperbole. 

CRT books should be challenged.  Hate-mongering books which misinform kids about history to create racial tensions have no place in schools.  CRTers are as bad a KKKers and I don't even mean that as a hyperbole. 
Which CRT books are hate-mongering for kids? 

I'm sure you believe this.

Which CRT books are hate-mongering for kids? 

I'm sure you believe this.

You can start with a highly proclaimed book pushed by CRTere called, "Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness".  It has a contract in it which encourage white kids to sign so they can abandon their whiteness.  It teaches how ycur skin color affects the most ordinary daily activities, .how racism is only a white person‘s problem, and how whiteness is a bad deal, it always was.  This book tells about how a cop is a killer of black men, which for young kids may be one their earliest exposure to what a cop is.  It is a great book if you want to stereotype white people as evil and turn kids against their parents because they are white and therefore racist.  

And I am sure you believe it is a great book.  

You can start with a highly proclaimed book pushed by CRTere called, "Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness".  It has a contract in it which encourage white kids to sign so they can abandon their whiteness.  It teaches how ycur skin color affects the most ordinary daily activities, .how racism is only a white person‘s problem, and how whiteness is a bad deal, it always was.  This book tells about how a cop is a killer of black men, which for young kids may be one their earliest exposure to what a cop is.  It is a great book if you want to stereotype white people as evil and turn kids against their parents because they are white and therefore racist.  

And I am sure you believe it is a great book.  
That link is worth it just to read the reviews.  :lol:

It has a contract in it which encourage white kids to sign so they can abandon their whiteness. 
In the video, this is at the 11:20 mark. The author certainly isn’t encouraging kids to sign the contract. The opposite, actually.

Yes, let's read the actual words, which are actually worse than what the reviews claim.  From the book:

"Whiteness is a bad deal, always was!"

Binding Whiteness Deal Contract, which is being held by the devil:

"You get stolen land, stolen riches, special favors.  Whiteness gets you to mess endlessly with the lives of your friends, neighbors, loved ones and all fellow humans of color for the purpose of profit!"

"The only price is your soul, sign below"

What the hell kind of message is that?  White people wealth is all stolen, they endlessly screw people of color, and they are soulless beings who made a deal with the devil.  I am glad CRT is enriching our young children with the true history and not trying to fill their heads with hate-filled propaganda.  

Great book.  

Yes, let's read the actual words, which are actually worse than what the reviews claim.  From the book:

"Whiteness is a bad deal, always was!"

Binding Whiteness Deal Contract, which is being held by the devil:

"You get stolen land, stolen riches, special favors.  Whiteness gets you to mess endlessly with the lives of your friends, neighbors, loved ones and all fellow humans of color for the purpose of profit!"

"The only price is your soul, sign below"

What the hell kind of message is that?  White people wealth is all stolen, they endlessly screw people of color, and they are soulless beings who made a deal with the devil.  I am glad CRT is enriching our young children with the true history and not trying to fill their heads with hate-filled propaganda.  

Great book.  

The message is that racism is bad and the book ends with hope for a better America.

The message is that racism is bad and the book ends with hope for a better America.

No, the message is whiteness is pure evil.  The book is constantly interchanging the words whiteness and white supremacy.  The contract was not about white supremacy it was just whiteness.   You are intentionally white washing the message of the book.  It contains outrageous stereotypes of white people in general, and that message is geared towards the youngest of children. It encourages children to distrust their parents motives and police.  What heartwarming messages for 6 year olds.

No, the message is whiteness is pure evil.  The book is constantly interchanging the words whiteness and white supremacy.  The contract was not about white supremacy it was just whiteness.   You are intentionally white washing the message of the book.  It contains outrageous stereotypes of white people in general.  
We’d have to discuss this page by page sometime. I can’t today.  

Damn you guys, now I have to go back and rewatch that weirdo reading the book.   

Jon, did you actually watch/read the whole book too? 

We’d have to discuss this page by page sometime. I can’t today.  

That is fine.  The underlying messages on many pages are somewhat disturbing in the stereotypes they are advancing,  but the whiteness contract completely stunk of racism and is indefensible.   That was over the top and I would not want that anywhere near children. 

Just read the whiteness contract starting around 11 minute mark.  That is the worst example equating whiteness with the devil.  

Yes.  The anti-police, anti-gun, anti-parent propaganda was noteworthy.  There are some messages in the book whicht could be thought-provoking in a proper context, but the book message is clearly painting things with a broad brush and confusing to young children. If I was a kid, I would think the things that went on pre-1965 were still happening today and that none of those practices were rectified.  

So where is your strong opinions of the book coming from if you didn't watch/read it? 

What gives you the idea I did not watch it?  I did, the whole idiotic thing.  I just told you the part to watch which was the worst part of the book so that could be discussed.

What gives you the idea I did not watch it?  I did, the whole idiotic thing.  I just told you the part to watch which was the worst part of the book so that could be discussed.
I'm sorry.  Long night with a sick kiddo - brain isn't working.   I took your above post to mean you just read the contract, as in only that, not that you were pointing out that was the worst part.   My bad.   

Users who are viewing this thread