What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jalen Tolbert, DAL (1 Viewer)

South Alabama senior WR Jalen Tolbert declared for the NFL draft on Tuesday.

It should be no surprise that Tolbert (6'3/195) declared his intentions to go pro. He has been a dynamite receiver for the Jaguars in his career, especially this season. Tolbert set career highs in receptions (82), yards (1,474), and touchdowns (8). He has the size and skill set to thrive at the next level, possessing high-end speed and great ball skills to beat defensive backs while he grows in the NFL. He will be one to watch in regards to testing, as it could skyrocket his draft stock.

SOURCE: Jalen Tolbert

Nov 30, 2021, 9:30 PM ET

Cowboys selected South Alabama WR Jalen Tolbert with the No. 88 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Tolbert (6'1/194) graduated from South Alabama as a fifth-year senior. He emerged as a redshirt sophomore in 2019 with a 27% yardage share and a 43% TD share. He then produced two seasons of over 1,000 receiving yards and eight TDs with 40% and 48% yardage shares, respectively. He was named first-team All-Sun Belt in 2020 and 2021 and won the 2021 Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year. Tolbert's 36% career yardage share is excellent, even for a five-year player, and puts names like Tyler Lockett in his comp group. However, his late-career dominance is a red flag given that he turned 23 in February. Tolbert had a career average depth of target of 17.9, operating as a pure deep threat. With 4.49 speed and without plus size, he could struggle to reprise that role in the NFL and may ultimately need to develop a more all-around game in the mold of Michael Gallup. It is Gallup, of course, whom Tolbert will now share a receiver corps with. Tolbert's addition could also allow CeeDee Lamb to maintain plenty of snaps in the slot.

Apr 29, 2022, 10:42 PM ET

The Athletic's Jon Machota reports that WR Jalen Tolbert "has a chance to make the biggest immediate impact of all the Cowboys rookies."

The Cowboys selected OL Tyler Smith in the first round and EDGE Sam Williams in the second, but Machota believes that Tolbert, the Cowboys' pick at No. 88 could provide the quickest return. Tolbert was primarily an outside deep threat at South Alabama, but Mike McCarthy recently talked up his ability to move around the formation, "I think it illustrates what we are looking for when you have that type of skill set where you can come in here and have the ability to play inside and outside. I think it’s a real value." If Michael Gallup is not ready to begin the season, Tolbert is very likely to play in 3WR sets, even if he isn't directly filling in for Gallup's "X" receiver role. Tolbert's 2022 fantasy season will likely come down to how well he plays in the early weeks of the year. He'll need to displace James Washington in 3WR sets once Gallup returns.

SOURCE: The Athletic

May 16, 2022, 1:18 PM ET

The Athletic's Jon Machota reports that Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert heads into training camp as a presumed Week 1 starter.

Tolbert's opportunity is partially injury-related; Michael Gallup (knee) is unlikely to be ready for Week 1. However, Tolbert appears to be quickly earning the trust of his teammates and coaches, which is critical for any third-round pick looking to see the field right away. Machota notes that Tolbert "looked pretty good working with the first team at the end of minicamp" and looks likely to form a 3WR set with CeeDee Lamb and James Washington to start the season. Once Gallup returns, Tolbert will need to outplay Washington to remain in the starting rotation, but that shouldn't be ruled out. Washington has not participated in OTAs or minicamp due to a left foot injury, while Tolbert has been working out with Dak Prescott and Lamb in pre-training camp voluntary work. Tolbert has seen work on the outside and in the slot, as well as on the punt return team. A significant Week 1 role looks to be his to lose in training camp.

RELATED: 

CeeDee Lamb

, Michael Gallup

, James Washington

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 13, 2022, 9:48 AM ET

any other news on this guy? I feel like he has a lot of potential given the circumstances. No way Gallup is that effective for the first 4-6 weeks at which point Tolbert could have cemented his role in the offense.

105.3 The Fan's Bryan Broaddus "wouldn't be surprised" if WR Jalen Tolbert is a healthy scratch for Week 1.​

Tolbert "hasn't progressed as well as the Cowboys hoped he would," according to Broaddus, catching just 6-of-16 targets this preseason. With James Washington on IR and Michael Gallup out for Week 1, it's hard to see Tolbert not being active, but this suggests the rookie may not be higher than the No. 4 receiver.
SOURCE: 105.3 The Fan
Sep 9, 2022, 8:52 PM ET

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said rookie WR Jalen Tolbert is "a step behind the other guys (on special teams)."​

That's part of the explanation for why he was inactive last week, along with noting that a hamstring injury that Tolbert endured earlier in the offseason played a factor in it. If you were counting on Tolbert to be a short-term redraft factor in Michael Gallup's absence, you can probably give up the ghost at this point. Tolbert's a dynasty hold, but between Cooper Rush and these comments, it's hard to see fantasy value in Week 2.
SOURCE: Dallas Cowboys
Sep 15, 2022, 1:28 PM ET

Good to see he's playing. He should have been all along, even if he's just running clearing routes for other guys.

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Jalen Tolbert is an "excellent example" of a player making a second-year jump.

He also singled out EDGE Sam Williams. Tolbert was a healthy scratch often last season, and enters 2023 in a reserve role behind CeeDee Lamb, Brandin Cooks, and Michael Gallup. He'll need an injury to be fantasy-relevant, but at least this faint bit of praise should keep him on the deep dynasty radar.
SOURCE: MIchael Gehlken on Twitter
Jun 1, 2023, 1:17 PM ET

Patrik [No C] Walker @VoiceoftheStar
Jalen Tolbert is so refreshingly self-aware, accountable and willing to improve that it’s impossible to not root for him to win. His candor was again evident in our Q&A yesterday as #Cowboys OTAs concluded.

Brandin Cooks, btw, is already having a massive impact on Tolbert in Y2:

Shortly after the trade to acquire Brandin Cooks, I got on record in an ep of @TalkinCowboys and said:

"Tolbert needs to take advantage of Cooks being in the building. Attach yourself to his hip and absorb everything he has to teach you and Year 2 will be better."

Boom. 🔬

Dallas radio treats him like a summer star and not "for real."
Kevontae seems to be more of the sub they have expectations for

Any Dallas fans want to chime in on this guys development? I was curious about him last year and he never saw the field. It seems like he has a growing role but with Lamb/Cooks/Gallup ahead of him it would take an injury to make him relevant. I am more curious in dynasty and wonder if he has the talent to eventually become the number two?

Any Dallas fans want to chime in on this guys development? I was curious about him last year and he never saw the field. It seems like he has a growing role but with Lamb/Cooks/Gallup ahead of him it would take an injury to make him relevant. I am more curious in dynasty and wonder if he has the talent to eventually become the number two?
2nd that request for Dallas followers... What do you see for Jalen Tolbert?
3rd Round pick from South Alabama ... good size, decent athletic numbers, but stuck in the quagmire of Dallas WR room

My take... He is worth monitoring / deep bench pick up
* Cooks is 30 yo and on short contract in Dallas (2 year $40M) I forget what they traded to acquire him (cheap?)
* Gallup signed a 5 yr $58M in 2022 so he will be around a few more years (2025 at least to spread out signing bonus/guaranteed $27M)
* Lamb still on Rookie contract thru 2025 but they will need to resign him, $$$

MY Expectations ... Let Cook & Gallup go to make Cap room for Lamb while Tolbert on his rookie deal. They have other needs and Pollard is Tagged so RB will need attention too.

With Gallup almost gone and Cooks about "cooked"........Is Tolbert possibly Dallas's #2 wide receiver? Worth a Dynasty stash?

With Gallup almost gone and Cooks about "cooked"........Is Tolbert possibly Dallas's #2 wide receiver? Worth a Dynasty stash?
I say nah
Entering year three he's only got around 25 receptions and there's nothing showing he's Cook's replacement.
Speedy lil bugger would take states away from anyone so I can understand that a bit but he doesn't get much work.
Some Boys fans by me think it'll be Brooks not Tolbert if something opens up but after arguing they usually concede the replacement probably isn't on the roster

Users who are viewing this thread