What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

šŸŽ *OFFICIAL 2022 Horse Racing Extravaganza Traveling Road Show Thread - Life Gettin' Better At Big Sandy* šŸŽ (1 Viewer)

I agree with with you on Charge Itā€™s talent. I just donā€™t know many who havenā€™t figured it out by their final trip to put it together on the 1st Saturday in May. I donā€™t expect a horse to do anything new in the Derby. If they havenā€™t relaxed or rated yet they wonā€™t find it May 7th. If they are green in their prep than a 20 horse stampede wonā€™t help them. So for me he is a bigger threat in the fall or his 4 year old campaign. Now if the FL Derby was more highly regarded I might reconsider. But is wasnā€™t. Many are throwing out all horses from that raceĀ 

I agree with with you on Charge Itā€™s talent. I just donā€™t know many who havenā€™t figured it out by their final trip to put it together on the 1st Saturday in May. I donā€™t expect a horse to do anything new in the Derby. If they havenā€™t relaxed or rated yet they wonā€™t find it May 7th. If they are green in their prep than a 20 horse stampede wonā€™t help them. So for me he is a bigger threat in the fall or his 4 year old campaign. Now if the FL Derby was more highly regarded I might reconsider. But is wasnā€™t. Many are throwing out all horses from that raceĀ 

a cat like Charge It is a keeper for me on the verticals ... i believe he is a WIN underlay at anything under 25-1, but i don't drop win bets on the Derby - that said, i will not toss his raw ability to clunk up past some gassed tomato cans underneath.Ā 

the Arky was worse than Florida, from a moving forward perspective - i'll take Charge and Simplification over White Abarrio, and would've taken over the only other Arky survivor in Un Ojo, but he's gone.Ā 

anyway, enjoy your trip out there - have a great time!

Iā€™m throwing out Epicenter drawing the 3. With summer is tomorrow and messier right out side and Lanerie known to race to the rail with the 5 he has to break perfectly not to get pinballed and shuffled back. And even then he may not be able to race the race he wants being inside. Hand is forced. He may win but is at a disadvantage and will be an underlay.Ā 

Messier should break on top. Zozos loses a few lengths from the 19 but could shuffle over and be sitting 2nd. By the way Cox sounded way more interested in Zozos than Cyberknife. Taiba in the first flight. Epicenter pushing hard from the inside. Messier, Zozos and Taiba should be prominent for a long time and need to be covered in the exotics Ā 

Zandon has the perfect post and gives Prat a ton of options Ā I like him with the first flight above. Ā Heā€™s my key. Ā Iā€™ll only put a few more in along with the first flight above. Crown is intriguing to me Ā Japan coming on strong in huge races and Welsch lives how he looks Ā I like Mo Donegal underneath in all slots and will throw Barber Road and maybe Happy Jack underneath in the 3rd and more likely 4th spot.

Iā€™m throwing out Epicenter drawing the 3. With summer is tomorrow and messier right out side and Lanerie known to race to the rail with the 5 he has to break perfectly not to get pinballed and shuffled back. And even then he may not be able to race the race he wants being inside. Hand is forced. He may win but is at a disadvantage and will be an underlay.Ā 

Messier should break on top. Zozos loses a few lengths from the 19 but could shuffle over and be sitting 2nd. By the way Cox sounded way more interested in Zozos than Cyberknife. Taiba in the first flight. Epicenter pushing hard from the inside. Messier, Zozos and Taiba should be prominent for a long time and need to be covered in the exotics Ā 

Zandon has the perfect post and gives Prat a ton of options Ā I like him with the first flight above. Ā Heā€™s my key. Ā Iā€™ll only put a few more in along with the first flight above. Crown is intriguing to me Ā Japan coming on strong in huge races and Welsch lives how he looks Ā I like Mo Donegal underneath in all slots and will throw Barber Road and maybe Happy Jack underneath in the 3rd and more likely 4th spot.

Zo is gonna have to cross over quick with CC - this move, from the 17/19 respectively, is what i think dooms Whitey and Cyber - Cox has to send from there, and CC has no other choice.Ā 

Mess and SiT should control the pace, perfect slots for both ... Charge It in the 8 hole becomes even more interesting for me - perfect spot for him.Ā 

Tab can absolutely run any race they choose out that 12 hole - he should never lose contact with the front pack - i expect him to sit slightly off.Ā 

Zandy has no excuses from the catbird seat - Prat's positioning is all up to him, the way he chooses to handle the opening 1/4 is most likely gonna dictate the entire race.Ā 

but i could not be happier with what Mess has been handed - Medina Spirit did it out the 7 last year ... the similarities, all down the line, are remarkable.Ā 

he's my boy.Ā 

just caught Asmussen in a couple minute quickie about the draw, etc ..

said he understands Zandy being favorite because of the respective draws - said there's "plenty more options" from the middle of the track.Ā 

asked if he thought the 3 hole hurts Epi, he said "i've learned to wait on complaining about post positions until after the race"Ā 

thinly veiled disappointment, imo - he kept the stiff upper lip throughout, and was cordial as possible, but he knows he's gonna have to send harder and earlier than they perhaps wanted ... he has won on the engine, but he is gonna have an awful lot of damn good company this time around.Ā 

btw, since the points system, the 1-4 holes are just as bad as 17-20 ... just saying.Ā 

To be fair, at least that ridiculous squeeze isnā€™t an issue with the new starting gate. Itā€™s a straight line even from the 1 hole. Bigger issue is even if Epicenter breaks great heā€™ll be inside with pressure the whole way.l and getting some kickback. If he can get out of there in front of the cavalcade and sit on the inside no worse than 4th/5th then heā€™s got a shot. Just donā€™t like him on the win end at all now.Ā 

Listened to a number of analysis shows today and they do have mad respect for Messier. One said that his hind quarters looked off coming down the lane in the SA derby. Trainers/therapists can fix that and if they do they think heā€™s a threat to win it all on the front end. The biggest wildcard in their minds is Mike Smith on Taiba. Heā€™s been known to gun with ridiculously fast fractions in big races before. Does he do it again? Canā€™t see the Bafferts knocking each other out.Ā 

Last edited by a moderator:
here is each career race of every horse in the field - except Ethereal Road, which is cool, because there ain't much to see or consider from that 20 hole - you'll catch him in the Blue Grass and the Lexington .... you'll see plenty of other cross pollination amongst this lot - have at it šŸŽ

1.Ā Mo Donegal

2.Ā Happy Jack

3.Ā Epicenter

4.Ā Summer is Tomorrow

5.Ā Smile Happy

6.Ā Messier

7.Ā Crown Pride

8.Ā Charge It

9.Ā Tiz the Bomb

10.Ā Zandon

11.Ā Pioneer of Medina

12.Ā Taiba

13.Ā Simplification

14.Ā Barber Road

15.Ā White Abarrio

16.Ā Cyberknife

17.Ā Classic Causeway

18.Ā Tawny Port

19.Ā Zozos

20. Ethereal RoadĀ 

- and here isĀ every Derby Prep run for this crop.Ā 

PS - give the YouTubez chap who curated all this a thumbs up for each, or maybe even a ::subscribe::Ā 

this is fantastic work he did šŸ‘Ā 

here is each career race of every horse in the field - except Ethereal Road, which is cool, because there ain't much to see or consider from that 20 hole - you'll catch him in the Blue Grass and the Lexington .... you'll see plenty of other cross pollination among this lot - have at it šŸŽ

1.Ā Mo Donegal

2.Ā Happy Jack

3.Ā Epicenter

4.Ā Summer is Tomorrow

5.Ā Smile Happy

6.Ā Messier

7.Ā Crown Pride

8.Ā Charge It

9.Ā Tiz the Bomb

10.Ā Zandon

11.Ā Pioneer of Medina

12.Ā Taiba

13.Ā Simplification

14.Ā Barber Road

15.Ā White Abarrio

16.Ā Cyberknife

17.Ā Classic Causeway

18.Ā Tawny Port

19.Ā Zozos

20. Ethereal RoadĀ 

- and here isĀ every Derby Prep run for this crop.Ā 

PS - give the chap a thumbs up for each, or maybe even a ::subscribe::Ā 

this is fantastic work he did šŸ‘Ā 
šŸ˜³

thanks gb!

Why did they do the post draw early this year? Ā BTW--no surprise, but my buddy is happy with 6.

Why did they do the post draw early this year?

dunno the official reason, but it's a genius move all around - generate buzz for the whole week now, rather than 2 or so days.Ā 

also a big advantage for us bettors - a few more days to prepare, with the official post positions, is a damn good leg up.Ā 

it's a WIN all across the board.Ā 

:deadhorse:

Just downloaded Forms for both days and reading on my flight to Louisville. Ā Zandon remains my key for the race but my betting focus has fully shifted to the Bafferts. No way does Taiba and Messier deserve to be anywhere near double digits. Ā They drew perfectly. They have the style and speed figs required to win this. They have a trainer who knows how to get the foundation in place for high cruising speed. They are not over the top and should improve. Both could hit the tri. They are naturally faster than the other speed types. There is speed and then there is California speed. Neither should get kickback or have traffic trouble. Just need to break and they usually do.Ā 

i donā€™t see how Zandon doesnā€™t fire. Worked the best of anyone at CD. Leaning towards big exacta boxes with both Bafferts with smaller box of both Bafferts (still controlled by Bobā€™s barn). Smaller saver with both Bafferts and Epicenter just in case something weird happens to Zandon. Ā The way Epicenter drew off geared down in the last 2 makes me have him in there at least as a saver. More to come

Donā€™t really like any other horse outside those top 4 to hit the exacta. Ā Will look for the Mo Donegals, Tiz the Bomb, Smile Happy types to round out triā€™s and supers. Finding 10 or so who are complete throw outs. Some have zero chance of closing that last 8th and the lesser pressers have no shot vs the quality speed. The wildcard is the Japanese horse. Most handicappers are still completely tossing UAE invaders. Probably wise based on history.Ā 

This looks really hittable

Throw outsĀ 

Happy Jack

Summer is TomorrowĀ 

Charge It (not as good as CA speed)

Pioneer of Medina

Simplification

Barber Road (closer but slow and will be wide)

Classic Causeway

Tawny Port

Ethereal Road

So those are 9 Iā€™m removing from any slot. Taiba, Messier, Zandon and Epicenter are the top 4. That leaves 7 to consider underneath

Mo Donegal - have to respect closing

Smile Happy - good 2nds to Zandon and Epicenter. Lanerie knows CD

Crown Pride - complete wildcard. May run last but Iā€™ll have him small in all slots including boxes to my top 4

Tiz the Bomb - may be a turfer but can close

White Abarrio - donā€™t like but canā€™t knock form or style

Cyberknife - such a weak Arkansas Derby. Donā€™t love but Cox, Gun Runner and improvingĀ 

Zozos - will have to run the race of his life to hit the board from the 19 hole

Wake & Bake?

name this kook, and i promise i'll put him in my spread.

:lol:

more on the possible off track - gotta love the front end speed, as if i needed another reason to be on Mess & Tab, right?Ā 

still loving Charge It, but now a bit shaky on Zo, due to post.Ā 

more later, including a stab at post time odds.Ā 

His mudder was a mudder ?!?!

his mudder was a ...

(well, don't wanna get sat down).Ā 

:shrug:

Odds at Post Time Prediction

... Battaglia set one of the most bizarre ml's in recent memory - i get how there are questions swirling around Tab, but no way should he be 4x the mark of Zandy -Ā 

- no 50/1 shots listed, but the public is gonna float a few of this lot into the stratosphere - again, for strictly WIN odds, these are some head scratching lines.Ā Ā 

first number is the Battaglia line, second is my ballpark guess for post time.Ā 

>>>>>DISCLAIMER: THERE IS. NOTHING SCIENTIFIC GOING ON HERE, JUST FLINGING MY GUT FEELING AT THE WALL<<<<<

1. Mo D 10/1, 13/1Ā 

realistic odds of winning this thing, as per recent vintage & the 1 hole, are more like 75-1, let's be honest here.Ā  but if one loves this cat, and foresees a pace meltdown, there's a ton of value.Ā 

2. Happy Jack 30/1, 99/1

you feeling lucky?Ā 

3. Epi 7/2, 3/1Ā 

depends who Matress drops his big money on - but i could see Epi drift down a click.Ā  don't love the post.Ā 

4. Summer is Tmrw 30/1, 75/1

early speed from a great starting post - not a total toss for me ... yet.Ā 

5. Smile Happy 20/1, 17/1

jock is the new Calvin Bo-rail. Trakus shows he ran an overall better race in the Blue Grass than Zandy - would not expect Corey to put him anywhere but tucked right in for the most economical trip this time out.Ā 

6. Mess 8/1, 5/1

value all over the place - Jihnny V got this, my pick to take it down.Ā 

7. Crown Pride 20/1, 12/1Ā 

gonna take coin, as he's been here longer than most foreign shippers, and has dazzled on the surface.Ā 

8. Charge It 20/1, 15/1

i like him best of the Florida lot, danger of being the dreaded "wiseguy" horse, if he's not already.

9. Tiz the Bomb 30/1, 20/1

another contender for "wiseguy" horse, he's gonna take money.Ā 

10. Zandy 3/1, 5/2Ā 

lukewarm favorite.Ā 

11. Pioneer of Medina 30/1, 45/1

one of the bigger knock arounds of the prep season.Ā 

12. Taiba 12-1, 5-1Ā 

biggest ml overlay i can recall.Ā  'nufced.Ā 

13. Simplification 20/1, 25/1Ā 

he's loved in certain qtrs. if they send, he's toast.Ā 

14. Barber Road 30/1, 48/1

will take action underneath.Ā 

15. White Abby 10/1, 10/1

absolutely MEH on this cat, hope he takes a ton more money than i expect. might hit single digits.Ā 

16. Cyber 20/1, 17/1

fair price for the Cox cabal, but this is tough.Ā 

17. Classic Causeway 30/1, 65/1Ā 

should be 4/5 to be leading at the qtr.Ā Ā 

18. Tawny Port 30/1, 45/1Ā 

another who will take underneath money.Ā 

19. Zozos 20/1, 33/1Ā 

love the horse, hate the post.Ā  off track may tick his ofds down.Ā 

20. Ethereal Road 30/1, 85/1

only thing keeping him from 99/1 is the money Lukas lovers may toss.Ā 

will go through again tomorrow for my tosses ... but as of now i am keying Mess - this can be a very economical ticket up top, but i will build one suitcase wager in hopes this thing blows the #### up.Ā 

it's worth the shot.Ā 

In Versailles and Lexington today. Unreal. Just saw Uncle Mo and Into Mischief babies that are 5 days old. At Mill Ridge just past Godolphin and Coolmore. Ā Bred Street Sense (had $250 WP on him at the Derby), Barbaro, Havre De Grace etc. So beautifulĀ 

Wow Crown Pride is working a hole in the wind. Hard to ignore. Ā Have to include him based on works aloneĀ 
CROWN PRIDEĀ was out on the track while the harrows were still doing their thing during the first renovation break, warming up behind the auxiliary gate in the one-mile chute well before the start of the special Derby/Oaks training session. Although he left the barn with his regular exercise rider in the saddle, it was jockey Christophe Lemaire who hopped aboard Crown Pride for the work, which was officially listed as a half-mile but actually began at the five-eighths pole with an easy opening furlong in 13.99 seconds.

The UAE Derby winner picked up the pace steadily and effortlessly thereafter, completing four furlongs in 46.67, with a final quarter-mile split in an eye-catching 22.29 without any encouragement whatsoever from Lemaire, before easing up purposefully and while kept off the rail into the turn. Although the watch told a lot of the tale, the most noteworthy aspect of the breeze was how relaxed Crown Pride appeared from start to finish after being such a bundle of energy and virtual run-off down the stretch during a couple of his training sessions here last weekend.

McBokonon said:
Iā€™m curious if @FishĀ has changed his mind about Mess.

Ā Great thread, all. Really appreciate it.

After the post position draw it's getting harder to leave him out.Ā  I still have significant doubts, though, and if I play him it's only to hit the board.Ā  Ā I don't think he's in the top 2.Ā  Ā My top 3 are still Taiba, Epi and Zandon (how exciting), although I don't like the 3 hole for Epi.Ā  Ā 

I'm also warming on Crown Pride, who ran a 46.60 4f today and looked good doing it.Ā  Last split was 22.29 with no encouragement.Ā  Ā I'm including him in some tickets, for sure.Ā  Mo Donegal and Charge It are in the mix.Ā Ā 

Tossing Zozo.Ā  Ā 

Waiting on weather to see what my final bets will look like.Ā  Ā If it gets really wet, I may add Smile Happy and Barber Road to the mix and I'd drop Crown Pride.Ā Ā 

speaking of possible off track, and Crown Pride ... he does have one such race under his belt, and it happens to be the worst (4th place) finish of his career.Ā 

so, on the one hand, he's familar ... on the other hand, he is 3 for 3 outside of that race ... obviously the cream of their crop, so a 4th is disappointing, in a sense.Ā Ā 

btw, he arrived at Churchill on 3/31 - like i said earlier, this is much, much earlier than the usual foreign shippers. new strategy, let him get comfy -

there's a definite glow and buzz about this one, and he drew beautifully.Ā 

otb_lifer said:
Wake & Bake?

name this kook, and i promise i'll put him in my spread.

:lol:

oh, and the above nutbar is the one and only Classic Causeway -Ā 

somebody wake him the #### up and let him know he's gotta cross over Cyber/Abby/Tab/Charge It/Mess to get that damn early lead.Ā Ā 

to his credit, he does look like zero effs are being given.Ā 

šŸŽ

speaking of possible off track, and Crown Pride ... he does have one such race under his belt, and it happens to be the worst (4th place) finish of his career.Ā 

so, on the one hand, he's familar ... on the other hand, he is 3 for 3 outside of that race ... obviously the cream of their crop, so a 4th is disappointing, in a sense.Ā Ā 

btw, he arrived at Churchill on 3/31 - like i said earlier, this is much, much earlier than the usual foreign shippers. new strategy, let him get comfy -

somebody wake him the #### up and let him know he's gotta cross over Cyber/Abby/Tab/Charge It/Mess to get that damn early lead.Ā Ā 

šŸŽ
Explains the Florida Derby

Explains the Florida Derby

no matter how many times i rewatch that race it still makes about as much sense to me as a sock full of crawfish heads.Ā 

such a tough one to pin down, because i don't believe in White Abby, and Simp was softened by CC's first 1/2.Ā Ā 

... and, yeah, Charge It is green - but i think Saez gave him a #### ride - horse wanted to (and should've) dive in between the two, and Saez bounced him out to lug lane.Ā 

no matter how many times i rewatch that race it still makes about as much sense to me as a sock full of crawfish heads.Ā 

such a tough one to pin down, because i don't believe in White Abby, and Simp was softened by CC's first 1/2.Ā Ā 

... and, yeah, Charge It is green - but i think Saez gave him a #### ride - horse wanted to (and should've) dive in between the two, and Saez bounced him out to lug lane.Ā 
Saez made him run an extra 1/8 mile, and the horse was still game.Ā  Ā  It's just a matter of whether he learned anything and gets a decent path.Ā  Ā The talent is there.Ā  Ā 

Some horses just quit when they're beaten.Ā  Ā CC may be one of those types that fires off a couple nice races then runs last in the next.

Saez made him run an extra 1/8 mile, and the horse was still game.Ā  Ā  It's just a matter of whether he learned anything and gets a decent path.Ā  Ā The talent is there.Ā  Ā 

Some horses just quit when they're beaten.Ā  Ā CC may be one of those types that fires off a couple nice races then runs last in the next.

Ā i wasn't talking about only CC specifically - i was talking about the race as a whole, citing all the horses - it still gives me agita - bizarre prep to corral objectively, imo ... like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall.Ā 

Ā i wasn't talking about only CC specifically - i was talking about the race as a whole, citing all the horses - it still gives me agita - bizarre prep to corral objectively, imo ... like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall.Ā 
I agree.Ā  That's why White Abarrio isn't going to be on any of my tickets.Ā  Ā Other than how Charge It almost overcame a terrible ride and that CC quit, I don't get a lot out of that race.

šŸŽ
Just watched local weather. Looks like 2 waves of rain on Oaks Day. Ā 10am and then again later afternoon between 3-6. Oaks should be muddy. For Derby, some possibility of lingering showers in the am but should be dried out after 10am. Cloudy, not much sun, but good chance track will be OK.Ā 

Just watched local weather. Looks like 2 waves of rain on Oaks Day. Ā 10am and then again later afternoon between 3-6. Oaks should be muddy. For Derby, some possibility of lingering showers in the am but should be dried out after 10am. Cloudy, not much sun, but good chance track will be OK.Ā 

gotta get that #8, Venti Valentine (20/1), on my Oaks/Derby double for slop coverage - she has a win in the muck, and i expect her to not be hustled so urgently from jump, as she was in her disappointing Gazelle loss last out.Ā 

Timeform USA Pace Form

gonna list the top ten on each - these are the best early/late speed numbers -Ā 

Early Pace:

1. SiTĀ  126

2. CCĀ  121

3. Epi/Mess/CP 116

6. Charge ItĀ  114

7. Zo 113

8. Tab 111

9. CyberĀ  105

10. PoM 102Ā 

(Simp just misses the cut at 101, last of the triple digit numbers).

no real surprises here - we kinda know who that lead pack is gonna be, numbers back that up - only question is who sets the pace - my money is on CC jettin' out like a quarterhorse, and laying down a :23/:46 & change.Ā 

Late Pace:

1. Zandy 109

2. Tab 107 šŸ‘

3. Mo D/Barber Rd. 105

5. Ethereal Rd. 101 šŸ¤”

6. Tawny Port 100

7. TizĀ  99

8. Smile Happy 97

9. Happy Jack 91 šŸ¤”

10. Simp 89

(Mess misses the cut at 86).

Happy and Ethereal are the big surprises, though HJ did worm his way in here by picking up the scraps out in Cali ... still ran decent late, as per these parameters - Ethereal closed well in the Lexington, thought he would've taken that down had Lukas not run him in the BG the week prior.Ā  cat was exhausted, but rallied respectably enough for those TWO measly points - which wound up being the difference of him sneaking into this field.Ā 

but, outside of those two, pretty much what we would expect ... oh, and, yes - TAIBA prominently on both lists ... Smiff sets the trip behind the early pack comfortably, rating and waiting - he has the chops to attend with ease, then to finish this thing off with authority.Ā 

Current top ten in the offshore betting:

Betting Odds To Win The Kentucky Derby

Horse Odds

Epicenter+300

Zandon+450

Taiba+750

Messier+800

Mo Donegal+1000

White Abarrio+1200

Charge It+1200

Smile Happy+1600

Cyberknife+1800

Simplicification+2000

Current top ten in the offshore betting:

Betting Odds To Win The Kentucky Derby

Horse Odds

Epicenter+300

Zandon+450

Taiba+750

Messier+800

Mo Donegal+1000

White Abarrio+1200

Charge It+1200

Smile Happy+1600

Cyberknife+1800

Simplicification+2000

No love for Crown Pride, interesting

oh, it's coming ... i expect him & Tab to make the biggest leaps by post time - i believe one of 'em will be an underlay for the win.

guess which one šŸ˜Ž

btw, 3 of the top 10 all from that fakakate Fl. Derby - i have no love for White Abby ...Ā  but i do love Charge It ...Ā 

Simplification?

shows up middle pack in all pace scenarios i've run and digested and spit out and regurgitated and redigested ... watch his career races - signs of pure brilliance, then signs of some serious W.T.F.????!? in terms of race strategy.Ā 

i don't think Sano needs to send out the 13 hole - he has a great post there, and can tuck in sweetly with Tab, as they both watch CC (possibly White Abby) cross 'em - big IF, tho.Ā 

CC cooked (the favored) Simp in that Fl. Derby - Sano would be wise to instruct them to sniff some other horse's #### this go 'round.Ā 

jeeezzzusss, is that prep growing on me?Ā 

dafuq?

Users who are viewing this thread