What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(Baby Formula Shortage): Biden ADMITS He Knew Of Crisis In Early April (4/27/22 23:53 PST) (2 Viewers)

Why wouldn't Abbott do everything in their power to get back to manufacturing?  That's their business.  It's clear as day where the hold up is.
Abbott certainly would do everything in their power to get back to manufacturing... including doing nothing. Lawyers for Abbott claim that there is no link between their product and the infant illnesses (despite knowing about the presence of the pathogenic cronobacteria).

This also includes Abbott not wanting to spend large sums of money on new equipment, repairs, and/or other costly maintenance/quality control measures. Perhaps this is why the FDA is involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
"According to the FDA"

Why did it take so long to get back up and running?  Without being an employee of Abbott's Sturgis facility, I have no idea.
I know why.

And doing everything in their power to not get shut down is in line with doing everything in their power to getting back to manufacturing.  Manufacturing is money.

Ignoring that by saying you aren't an employee is LAZY.

I know why.

And doing everything in their power to not get shut down is in line with doing everything in their power to getting back to manufacturing.  Manufacturing is money.

Ignoring that by saying you aren't an employee is LAZY.
Why do you think it took so long?

Abbott certainly would do everything in their power to get back to manufacturing... including doing nothing. Lawyers for Abbott claim that there is no link between their product and the infant illnesses (despite knowing about the presence of the pathogenic cronobacteria).

This also includes Abbott not wanting to spend large sums of money on new equipment, repairs, and/or other costly maintenance/quality control measures. Perhaps this is why the FDA is involved.
New equipment and repairs?  Now we're just making things up.  New equipment, repairs and maintenance is an investment.  Companies do that all the time, especially a business that is a corner of a market that is never going away.  I'm certain they have the best most well kept equipment in the industry.  

Skimping on quality control maybe, if we were talking 30-40 years ago.  Companies realize QC contributes to the bottom line too in the modern era of manufacturing.

THE ONLY reason for Abbott not cooperating is to deny blame and that wouldn't be at the expense of manufacturing.  Because manufacturing is money.  Blame is a separate issue than fixing the problem.

Why wouldn't Abbott do everything in their power to get back to manufacturing?  That's their business.  It's clear as day where the hold up is.
Answers to the bold are endless when you're talking about a company that created a supply chain with a single point of failure that apparently requires government intervention to help fix when things break at that point :shrug:  

New equipment and repairs?  Now we're just making things up.  New equipment, repairs and maintenance is an investment.  Companies do that all the time, especially a business that is a corner of a market that is never going away.  I'm certain they have the best most well kept equipment in the industry.  

Skimping on quality control maybe, if we were talking 30-40 years ago.  Companies realize QC contributes to the bottom line too in the modern era of manufacturing.

THE ONLY reason for Abbott not cooperating is to deny blame and that wouldn't be at the expense of manufacturing.  Because manufacturing is money.  Blame is a separate issue than fixing the problem.
Read the whistleblower report I linked earlier.

From NYT:

The F.D.A. said it expected Abbott to restart production in about two weeks, and was poised to review progress at the plant in Sturgis, Mich. It has been shut down since February after several babies who had consumed formula that had been produced there fell ill and two died.

The agreement stems from a U.S. Department of Justice complaint and consent decree with the company and three of its executives. Those court records say the F.D.A. found a deadly bacteria, called cronobacter, in the plant in February and the company found more tranches of the bacteria later that month.

According to the complaint, the same Sturgis factory had also produced two batches of formula in the summer of 2019 and 2020 on different production equipment that tested positive for the bacteria.

Abbott staff “have been unwilling or unable to implement sustainable corrective actions to ensure the safety and quality of food manufactured for infants,” leading to the need for legal action, the documents state.

In a release, Abbott said “there is no conclusive evidence to link Abbott’s formulas to these infant illnesses.”

Answers to the bold are endless when you're talking about a company that created a supply chain with a single point of failure that apparently requires government intervention to help fix when things break at that point :shrug:  
I'd like just one that made any sense - why a company who's business is manufacturing wouldn't want to manufacture.

From NYT:
I don't see anything that contradicts what I said.

the bolded doesn't really track.  If you have a monopoly and the market cornered, what is your motivation to invest on new equipment, etc?  Are you going to sell X more units if you buy a new equipment or processes?  Probably not, you have already maxed out your market share of a relatively fixed market.  Repairs and maintenance?  well, just do the minimum to keep the machines running.  Anything more than that hurts the bottom line. 

There is incentive to reduce costs in order to maximize margins.  That gets you into "do more with less" territory.  You start cutting corners, skipping maintenance down time here and there, let things slip.  You do the bare minimum to keep those pesky inspectors at bay.  

As to the part in blue - according to the whistleblower complaint, the Sturgis plant has resisted electronic records.  They still rely on paper records.  This is not modern manufacturing.

the bolded doesn't really track.  If you have a monopoly and the market cornered, what is your motivation to invest on new equipment, etc?  Are you going to sell X more units if you buy a new equipment or processes?  Probably not, you have already maxed out your market share of a relatively fixed market.  Repairs and maintenance?  well, just do the minimum to keep the machines running.  Anything more than that hurts the bottom line. 

There is incentive to reduce costs in order to maximize margins.  That gets you into "do more with less" territory.  You start cutting corners, skipping maintenance down time here and there, let things slip.  You do the bare minimum to keep those pesky inspectors at bay.  

As to the part in blue - according to the whistleblower complaint, the Sturgis plant has resisted electronic records.  They still rely on paper records.  This is not modern manufacturing.
Good grief.  Yes you are able to be more efficient (sell more) with bigger and better equipment.  Maintaining it keeps it from breaking down and loosing production.  This is manufacturing 101 stuff.  I'm in a slightly different market but believe it or not we make money by putting newer and better equipment to work.  It's a driving indicator.

In your real life you wouldn't like a better car and to save money you don't bother changing the oil?

It takes weeks for a clean down, inspection and testing.  Not months.  Inventory shouldn't have run out.
If there are leaks in processing equipment, no amount of cleaning/sterilization will prevent recontamination.

The federal whistleblower complaint alleged some of the Sturgis plant’s equipment that caused the bacteria to get in the product “was failing and in need of repair”, and company management was aware of the issue for up to seven years ahead of the outbreak.

“A number of product flow pipes were pitting and leaving pinholes. This allowed bacteria to enter the system and, at times, led to bacteria not being adequately cleaned out in clean-in-place washes,” the report reads. “This, in turn, caused product flowing through the pipes to pick up the bacteria that was trapped in the defective areas of the pipe.”

The problems are not limited to ageing equipment, according to the whistleblower. Management at the plant also falsified records, improperly trained employees, and successfully hid health and safety risks from the Food and Drug Administration auditors in 2019.

Companies like Abbott are “using every product as a personal ATM” by cutting corners to maximize profits, said Moe Tkacik, a senior fellow at the American Economic Liberties Project.

Good grief.  Yes you are able to be more efficient (sell more) with bigger and better equipment.  Maintaining it keeps it from breaking down and loosing production.  This is manufacturing 101 stuff.  I'm in a slightly different market but believe it or not we make money by putting newer and better equipment to work.  It's a driving indicator.

In your real life you wouldn't like a better car and to save money you don't bother changing the oil?
do you recognize that there are operations managers out there who don't see things that way?  

I know it may be hard to believe but there are facilities who are not running state-of-the-art operations.  I've been in plenty myself.  This may be the 21st century but there are a lot of factories out there who are functionally in the 80's or 90's.

do you recognize that there are operations managers out there who don't see things that way?  

I know it may be hard to believe but there are facilities who are not running state-of-the-art operations.  I've been in plenty myself.  This may be the 21st century but there are a lot of factories out there who are functionally in the 80's or 90's.
Occam's Razor.  You are just deflecting because of sidez!   It's plan as day for those of us on planet earth.

This is a pretty definitive response.  How long have you been an expert in the field of infant formula production?
Proof - as soon as it became headline news the FDA commissioner said the plant would be open in 1 to 2 weeks.  Now I'm just repeating myself.  

still waiting on this response.  you said you know why...let's hear it.  
At some point I'm just going to stop repeating myself.  It's pretty clear there is no getting through to you.  That's ok.

Big fine by the FDA, quick inspections and testing so the plant gets back to manufacturing in weeks instead of months. 

How many brain cells does it take to realize this isn't just shutting down a facility who's volume would be filled by their competitors?  It should have been all hands on deck.  I mean they let them keep producing product and babies drinking that product for 4 months before even taking action - the FDA commissioner should be fired for that alone.

Want proof it can be done?  As soon as this becomes the #1 headline the FDA commissioner says the plant will be back open in 1-2 weeks.

Occam's Razor.  You are just deflecting because of sidez!   It's plan as day for those of us on planet earth.

Proof - as soon as it became headline news the FDA commissioner said the plant would be open in 1 to 2 weeks.  Now I'm just repeating myself.  
I generally fall on the sides of regulators.  I believe Americans deserve safe products, and manufacturers should be held to a high standard.  I have been consistent about that for a really, really long time.  If that reads as "boff sidez!", so be it.  

your second statement isn't proof, by the way.  That's an inference influenced by your own perceptions and opinions, and is quite LAZY.

I'd like just one that made any sense - why a company who's business is manufacturing wouldn't want to manufacture.
Well, this is a different question than the one I bolded before.  I'm not sure the issue is with "desire" to manufacture.  From the clips here, it seems like more of a question of why they would have a problem following the rules to manufacture.  That's a question for them, not any of us on a message board.  

ETA:  If I had to guess, that desire would be tied closely to also thinking it acceptable to have a supply chain designed with a single point of failure....(I.E.  they likely aren't very bright or their leadership is a mess)

some of you guys have never dealt with manufacture of a regulated product or non-ISO9001 suppliers and it shows. 

I generally fall on the sides of regulators.  I believe Americans deserve safe products, and manufacturers should be held to a high standard.  I have been consistent about that for a really, really long time.  If that makes reads as "boff sidez!", so be it.  

That's not proof, by the way.  That's an inference influenced by your own perceptions an opinions, and is quite LAZY.
If I can't get through to you maybe Lester Holt and crew can.  From NBC Nightly New last night.  It's the lead story.

Bipartisan congressional panel pressed the head of the FDA.  The doctor faced bipartisan grilling.

There was bipartisan outrage on capitol hill today directed a the Biden Administration. 

Why did the FDA not spring into action.  It was an emergency for way too long.

The Biden administration faced fierce criticism for what many are calling a crisis that' been brewing for months.
After your whistle blower back in October. OCTOBER!

It's hard to see any evidence that the FDA made this a priority to get this plant cleaned, cleared, back online.
Link

It appears MSM and bipartisan congressmen agree with me.  Checkmate.  

If I can't get through to you maybe Lester Holt and crew can.  From NBC Nightly New last night.  It's the lead story.

After your whistle blower back in October. OCTOBER!

Link

It appears MSM and bipartisan congressmen agree with me.  Checkmate.  
again - feel free to lay as much blame as you want on the FDA and Biden.  Go nuts.   I know that blaming the president for anything and everything has a long tradition so please, feel free to continue.

But I hope you save some of your vitrol for Abbott - you know, the company who shipped bacterial laden formula and has demonstrated a history of refusing to clean up their act.

Clearly Biden and his band of misfits are in no way capable of leading or running this Country.

again - feel free to lay as much blame as you want on the FDA and Biden.  Go nuts.   I know that blaming the president for anything and everything has a long tradition so please, feel free to continue.

But I hope you save some of your vitrol for Abbott - you know, the company who shipped bacterial laden formula and has demonstrated a history of refusing to clean up their act.
Two different things.

Abbott get's the blame for giving babies salmonella to babies, I'm sure that will be handled in court.

Biden and the FDA get the blame for turning the plant shut down into a crisis.  Sounds like Republican and Democrat congresspeople and the MSM are figuring that out.  Just another absolute blunder of this administration, they are really starting to stack up.

Maybe that's been the confusion, you were conflating the two?

Clearly Biden and his band of misfits are in no way capable of leading or running this Country.
:goodposting:

Two different things.

Abbott get's the blame for giving babies salmonella to babies, I'm sure that will be handled in court.

Biden and the FDA get the blame for turning the plant shut down into a crisis.  Sounds like Republican and Democrat congresspeople and the MSM are figuring that out.  Just another absolute blunder of this administration, they are really starting to stack up.

Maybe that's been the confusion, you were conflating the two?

Isnt it a strange coincidence that all these crazy things are happening on Bidens Watch? 

Two different things.

yeah, once again, you guys seem to want to blame the federal government for a private companies failure to deliver product.  That's the part I don't understand.  How is it the FDA's responsibility to ensure supplies are met? 

I struggle to understand how this could be accomplished without adding more regulation and oversight, and we all know how conservatives feel about regulations and oversight.   I mean, it's not the FDA's responsibility to direct Abbott how to fix their problems, just to verify the problems are fixed.  If Abbott was incapable (or unwilling) to do so (as the FDA claimed), should the FDA have socialized the Sturgis facility?  Installed their own guys to oversee the means of production?  

Biden administration clearly was slow to identify this as a problem and when they responded, the solutions were not effective.  I will grant you that all day.  But I don't want the FDA approving anything that's not safe, and it's up to Abbott to prove their formula is safe.

yeah, once again, you guys seem to want to blame the federal government for a private companies failure to deliver product.  That's the part I don't understand.  How is it the FDA's responsibility to ensure supplies are met? 

I struggle to understand how this could be accomplished without adding more regulation and oversight, and we all know how conservatives feel about regulations and oversight.   I mean, it's not the FDA's responsibility to direct Abbott how to fix their problems, just to verify the problems are fixed.  If Abbott was incapable (or unwilling) to do so (as the FDA claimed), should the FDA have socialized the Sturgis facility?  Installed their own guys to oversee the means of production?  

Biden administration clearly was slow to identify this as a problem and when they responded, the solutions were not effective.  I will grant you that all day.  But I don't want the FDA approving anything that's not safe, and it's up to Abbott to prove their formula is safe.
Let's just change it from "me" to "bipartisan congressional panel" made up of Democrats and Republicans as reported by NBC and other news affiliates.  And a whole lot of mothers without formula.

Carries more weight that way.   :thumbup:

Let's just change it from "me" to "bipartisan congressional panel" made up of Democrats and Republicans as reported by NBC and other news affiliates.  And a whole lot of mothers without formula.

Carries more weight that way.   :thumbup:
what other industries are you in favor of the government socializing?  This is quite an interesting take.

Why do you think it took so long?

Direct Headline: The Baby Formula Shortage Was Made in Washington

The politicians tacitly admit that their policies are responsible.

By The Editorial Board May 19, 2022 6:32 pm ET

https://www.wsj.com/articles/governments-baby-formula-shortage-abbott-mead-johnson-tariffs-wic-fda-perrigo-democrats-11652996346

Direct Headline: Baby formula crisis punctuates steep decline in support for Biden, Dems, with suburban moms

“Democrats have seen a double-digit decline among their strongest groups, especially women who are already struggling to stretch a dollar....But now they’re trying to find food for their children.....”

...Women were a pivotal voting bloc for Mr. Biden and other Democrats in 2020. Exit polls showed they backed Mr. Biden over President Trump by 57% to 42%....Although the president won’t be on November ballots, congressional Democrats have been sinking along with him in the eyes of female voters dealing with skyrocketing inflation, gas prices and now a formula shortage....

“That hits home....You can’t get any closer to a suburban woman than making her run all over the place to find baby food. There is nothing that hits that demographic more directly than not having what your infant needs every day.....”

A Marist poll conducted in late April showed suburban women favored Republicans over Democrats on handling two top voter concerns: the economy and inflation. Among parents with children younger than 18, registered voters said they would pick a Republican over a Democrat in November’s congressional elections by a nearly 30-point margin, 60% to 32%......

.....The Biden administration is also facing criticism after the revelation that it is using taxpayer funding to provide crack pipes to addicts as part of a drug safety program.

Republicans say the Democratic Party’s priorities are misaligned. ....“Parents can’t buy baby formula, but taxpayer-funded crack pipes are in the mail.......”

By Susan Ferrechio and Mica Soellner  May 14, 2022

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/may/14/baby-formula-crisis-punctuates-steep-decline-suppo/

If you want "free" crack pipes paid for with tax payer dollars or if you want as much fentanyl as you desire, Biden's policies will make that happen for you fast. No delays at all.

But if you need to feed your infant as an American citizen, parent and taxpayer?

That's going to take a long long long time.

Nothing amuses me more than watching radical leftists try to shed any kind of accountability whatsoever off the back of Joe Biden and his administration.

It's not hard - Deliver wins for the every day working class American citizen and keep doing it consistently and they will WANT to come out and vote for you on their own.

The current election strategy seems to be blame absolutely everyone else , ignore that brutal nearly 30 point drop with suburban women voters, and hope Trump returns so then all blame can be foisted onto The Big Cheeto to justify Biden not doing anything at all for the American people.

Direct Headline: The Baby Formula Shortage Was Made in Washington

The politicians tacitly admit that their policies are responsible.

By The Editorial Board May 19, 2022 6:32 pm ET

https://www.wsj.com/articles/governments-baby-formula-shortage-abbott-mead-johnson-tariffs-wic-fda-perrigo-democrats-11652996346

Direct Headline: Baby formula crisis punctuates steep decline in support for Biden, Dems, with suburban moms

“Democrats have seen a double-digit decline among their strongest groups, especially women who are already struggling to stretch a dollar....But now they’re trying to find food for their children.....”

...Women were a pivotal voting bloc for Mr. Biden and other Democrats in 2020. Exit polls showed they backed Mr. Biden over President Trump by 57% to 42%....Although the president won’t be on November ballots, congressional Democrats have been sinking along with him in the eyes of female voters dealing with skyrocketing inflation, gas prices and now a formula shortage....

“That hits home....You can’t get any closer to a suburban woman than making her run all over the place to find baby food. There is nothing that hits that demographic more directly than not having what your infant needs every day.....”

A Marist poll conducted in late April showed suburban women favored Republicans over Democrats on handling two top voter concerns: the economy and inflation. Among parents with children younger than 18, registered voters said they would pick a Republican over a Democrat in November’s congressional elections by a nearly 30-point margin, 60% to 32%......

.....The Biden administration is also facing criticism after the revelation that it is using taxpayer funding to provide crack pipes to addicts as part of a drug safety program.

Republicans say the Democratic Party’s priorities are misaligned. ....“Parents can’t buy baby formula, but taxpayer-funded crack pipes are in the mail.......”

By Susan Ferrechio and Mica Soellner  May 14, 2022

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/may/14/baby-formula-crisis-punctuates-steep-decline-suppo/

If you want "free" crack pipes paid for with tax payer dollars or if you want as much fentanyl as you desire, Biden's policies will make that happen for you fast. No delays at all.

But if you need to feed your infant as an American citizen, parent and taxpayer?

That's going to take a long long long time.

Nothing amuses me more than watching radical leftists try to shed any kind of accountability whatsoever off the back of Joe Biden and his administration.

It's not hard - Deliver wins for the every day working class American citizen and keep doing it consistently and they will WANT to come out and vote for you on their own.

The current election strategy seems to be blame absolutely everyone else , ignore that brutal nearly 30 point drop with suburban women voters, and hope Trump returns so then all blame can be foisted onto The Big Cheeto to justify Biden not doing anything at all for the American people.
holy non-sequitur, batman.  A simple question about why it took so long for Abbott to get their factory back on-line, and you respond with rants about electoral politics and crack pipes?

(WSJ article is behind a paywall.  if there is a relevant answer in there, kindly post snippets)

Thanks for the link Molecule.  I do know where that factory is, hard to believe it is still closed being in a smaller town like Sturgis.  Here is the rub I have.  Abbott was wrong, and should have been shut down, we agree on that.  Techinally, they don't have to do anything.  What is the role of the FDA when it comes to supplying WIC since they are buying for the Border infants also?  They needed a plan.  

Lets say Abbott Labs do a thorough deep clean, like restaurants did during COVID.  It's frustrating to get a state/fed inspector to come out, its done on their schedule.  They are a big plant and should get priority as they are basically a government contractor.   It's a bad situation all around, but it's the government who looks bad in the end.  

what other industries are you in favor of the government socializing?  This is quite an interesting take.
I don't think this

Why did the FDA not spring into action.  It was an emergency for way too long.  The Biden administration faced fierce criticism for what many are calling a crisis that's been brewing for months.  It's hard to see any evidence that the FDA made this a priority to get this plant cleaned, cleared, back online.
means that.  But you can ask your congressman or any of these mothers demanding answers what they think.

Thanks for the link Molecule.  I do know where that factory is, hard to believe it is still closed being in a smaller town like Sturgis.  Here is the rub I have.  Abbott was wrong, and should have been shut down, we agree on that.  Techinally, they don't have to do anything.  What is the role of the FDA when it comes to supplying WIC since they are buying for the Border infants also?  They needed a plan.  

Lets say Abbott Labs do a thorough deep clean, like restaurants did during COVID.  It's frustrating to get a state/fed inspector to come out, its done on their schedule.  They are a big plant and should get priority as they are basically a government contractor.   It's a bad situation all around, but it's the government who looks bad in the end.  
From the snippet from @Tom Skerritt above, it needed more than a deep cleaning.  There were damaged pipes which prevented a complete sanitation.  Those all need to be replaced.  It's possible this whole mess is because Abbott couldn't get replacement parts quickly...  Just a guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/19/republicans-baby-formula/ 

Nearly 200 Republicans vote against bill to ease baby formula shortage.

Starving babies to own the libs. 👍

Your party is gross. And by and large, evil. 

The Hyperbole King is back!!!!!   Although, you could've just saved yourself some time and posted:

"My Team GOOD!  Your team BAD!!"

That's basically the summary of ALL of your posts up to this point and most likely going forward.  A one trick-pony.

Work smarter, not harder.  :thumbup:

Are there that many mothers that can't produce milk?  What kind of a sick God creates all these miracles in vessels that can't support these miracles?  

Satire fail?  Was just trying to stay in the norm of this forum like in real politics.  Only the most absurd and extreme positions get the attention and everyone lumps the majority into that 5-10% on both sides. 

The Hyperbole King is back!!!!!   Although, you could've just saved yourself some time and posted:

"My Team GOOD!  Your team BAD!!"

That's basically the summary of ALL of your posts up to this point and most likely going forward.  A one trick-pony.

Work smarter, not harder.  :thumbup:
@FBG Moderator 

It would be great if every response to my posts was not a personal attack.

No idea why trolling like this is acceptable. 

Be sure to ask him about your post that I responded to as well.  :thumbup:
I said a bad thing about the GOP. Pretty sure that's ok.

Following another poster around, trying to get a rise out of them for months, is, frankly, creepy. 

I don't think it should be considered acceptable 

The FDA was appropriated $6.3 billion for 2022 and is requesting that figure be upped to $8.4 billion in 2023. But we better get them $28 million stat or else babies will die.

I said a bad thing about the GOP. Pretty sure that's ok.

Following another poster around, trying to get a rise out of them for months, is, frankly, creepy. 

I don't think it should be considered acceptable 

When you say this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/19/republicans-baby-formula/ 

Nearly 200 Republicans vote against bill to ease baby formula shortage.

Starving babies to own the libs. 👍

Your party is gross. And by and large, evil. 

What do you think people who are members of that party think when you constantly post tripe like this 24/7?  That it's NOT personal?

I would have voted against this bill too.  Increasing the FDA's budget without firing the people involved in this is just bad policy-making.  

Not sure what's evil about that, but whatever.
Has any article named names of who was involved?  

The FDA was appropriated $6.3 billion for 2022 and is requesting that figure be upped to $8.4 billion in 2023. But we better get them $28 million stat or else babies will die.
$28 mil sounds like a steal.  

The Scandinavian countries have solved the baby formula issue. By cultural and political means. In the USA, black mothers have the lowest rates of breast feeding, partly attributed to the need to work outside the home after just 2 weeks.

I feel lucky. My first born was breast-fed at 14 months at Notre Dame during a childrens choir recital and other places in Europe. Her mom didn't work outside the home for 3 years. Come on conservatives, help our children breastfeed.

>>In Norway, where there are 36 weeks of paid maternity leave, 99% of mothers ever breastfeed and 80% breastfeed in some way at 6 months. (Pew Research Center).<<

77 Surprising Breastfeeding Facts for Moms

Users who are viewing this thread