What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roe v. Wade Overturned (2 Viewers)

Great...you can contribute as much money as you want to any charity in the world...but that literally has zero to do with my question.
I don’t think it’s illegal for my state to help out people in other states. It’s probably unusual. I strongly support the specific proposal. What more is there to be said? 

I went to my granddaughters confirmation last week.  The minister spent 5 minutes talking about the importance of pro life values and the time is now to save the unborn.  It was an uncomfortable moment in an otherwise great moment in my life.

I went to my granddaughters confirmation last week.  The minister spent 5 minutes talking about the importance of pro life values and the time is now to save the unborn.  It was an uncomfortable moment in an otherwise great moment in my life.
I recently had one of these uncomfortable moments in an otherwise great moment too.  

I was asking for an example where one state is paying for another state's residents...seems like a pretty reasonable question
Generally speaking these are called blue states.   The states that pay far more into the federal coffers than gets returned.  Which is in contrast to those red states where the residents are always complaining about how much they are robbed to pay for others where all that blue state money ends up.

Generally speaking!

its uncomfortable every time people talk about killing unborn babies for me

its one of those subjects someone is always going to be uncomfortable with i think

Yes, as a runner and coach, barefoot striders on the grass are good for leg speed AND foot strength 🏃‍♂️

I went to barefoot shoes a few years ago ... I get made fun of playing racquetball in my Xero's but they work well. At my age, as many miles as my legs/feet/body has, I'll admit more cushion is better for running for me (Altra's) 

But yeah, after learning about feet ?   its shocking to me how damaging shoes are, especially for women 

Gopher State said:
Someone's opinion that doesn't align with yours makes you uncomfortable?  Why?

Boston said:
Why is this not a question...regardless of the topic (i.e. this is not an abortion question) I was asking for an example where one state is paying for another state's residents...seems like a pretty reasonable question...if I was a resident of one state and I saw money going directly to another state I would be curious to know if this was legal (and it may be which is why I am asking) and if things were so good in my state that this money could not be better spent on our own residents.
Ignoring everything else about this, I can't fathom any reason why this would be illegal.  Is there some particular reason you were considering?

We're starting to tangent a bit now, but I agree on Kelly.  I'm fascinated by Herschel Walker and the Georgia race.  I mean, he's quite clearly one of the stupidest people ever to run for office.  And I mean that literally, not in the "Ted Cruz says a lot of colossally stupid things, but they just might be calculated to appeal to stupid people" way.  He's also a local legend/hero.  It really is going to be interesting to watch it play out.

The latest from Mr. Walker:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/herschel-walker-says-he-wants-total-ban-on-abortion-theres-no-exception-in-my-mind/ar-AAXyQnD?ocid=chromentp

Herschel Walker says he wants total ban on abortion: ‘There's no exception in my mind'

Georgia Senate candidate and former football star Herschel Walker said Wednesday he supports abortion bans without any exceptions for rape, incest or the health of the mother. 

"There's no exception in my mind," Walker told reporters after a campaign speech. "Like I say, I believe in life. I believe in life."

I read that and took it to mean that politics was too prevalent at a confirmation ceremony last week.  Why was there talk about about anything with abortions or pro-life during a confirmation?

Is Gopher State even pro-choice? Do you know that? 

I'd find it uncomfortable if the priest of our confirmation class took time out to give a pro-life lecture to the laity. That's a day for family and a serious yet happy entrance into Catholic adulthood. Not time for contention. 

(Though our confirmation class did watch pro-life films on our way to confirmation. Just par for the course, I guess.) 

I read that and took it to mean that politics was too prevalent at a confirmation ceremony last week.  Why was there talk about about anything with abortions or pro-life during a confirmation?
Part of the run-up to confirmation are those films I just mentioned. To more dogmatic priests, I suppose they're in play. 

Part of the run-up to confirmation are those films I just mentioned. To more dogmatic priests, I suppose they're in play. 
I get that it might be part of the process, but thought that being a part of the ceremony seemed a bit much.  What do I know, though - besides weddings the last time I stepped in church purposely was for my version of confirmation classes, but didn't go through with the actual confirmation.  

I get that it might be part of the process, but thought that being a part of the ceremony seemed a bit much.  What do I know, though - besides weddings the last time I stepped in church purposely was for my version of confirmation classes, but didn't go through with the actual confirmation.  
It would seem a bit much to have it part of the ceremony. I forgot how our ceremony went or what the sermon was about. It was not a memorable day for me as I was convinced in ninth grade that there was no God. 

I am not so convinced now. What I lacked in knowledge back then I sure made up for in certitude. I find a lot of people in positions of power these days are like that. But that's just an aside. 

Is Gopher State even pro-choice? Do you know that? 

I'd find it uncomfortable if the priest of our confirmation class took time out to give a pro-life lecture to the laity. That's a day for family and a serious yet happy entrance into Catholic adulthood. Not time for contention. 

(Though our confirmation class did watch pro-life films on our way to confirmation. Just par for the course, I guess.) 
Again.  Why uncomfortable?  Still struggling with this.  So what?

Again.  Why uncomfortable?  Still struggling with this.  So what?
It's inappropriate to bring up such a divisive and personal issue at a celebration of life that is all about communion with the Church? 

eta* Communion in the true sense, not in the Body of Christ sense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's inappropriate to bring up such a divisive and personal issue at a celebration of life that is all about communion with the Church? 

eta* Communion in the true sense, not in the Body of Christ sense. 
I've been subjected to plenty of sermons i didn't agree with. And simply I just didn't agree.  Don't get why people are uncomfortable.  Outside of they are not comfortable with a differing opinion.   And if thats why then so be it

I've been subjected to plenty of sermons i didn't agree with. And simply I just didn't agree.  Don't get why people are uncomfortable.  Outside of they are not comfortable with a differing opinion.   And if thats why then so be it
 Reason 1 why going to church is a waste of time.  Maybe some want to be lectured to about whatever the priest feels like talking about that day, but I know I sure don't. I think it is more than reasonable to be a believer and not want to be subjected to the nonsense many churches throw at you. 

to be fair, I get pissed off anytime a preacher talks about the dead person being in Heaven and being with Grandpa and playing ball with their fav dead dog etc etc and then trying to save everyone at the funeral with the "now is the time to take Jesus in your heart" ..... I really never liked that. Ever

so I get why a talking about something other than the person dead would piss off - I get it 

Interesting, and not the time to discuss this now as it would side track the thread, but I’d love to here why.  I’ve gone the opposite direction.  

hmmm   start a thread, I too wasn't much of a believer when a young man, definitely am now that I'm older. Might be a good thread

hmmm   start a thread, I too wasn't much of a believer when a young man, definitely am now that I'm older. Might be a good thread
Probably a good topic but not one I’m gonna touch honestly.  Gotta be the right group of people to have that type of discussion imo.  

The latest from Mr. Walker:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/herschel-walker-says-he-wants-total-ban-on-abortion-theres-no-exception-in-my-mind/ar-AAXyQnD?ocid=chromentp

Herschel Walker says he wants total ban on abortion: ‘There's no exception in my mind'

Georgia Senate candidate and former football star Herschel Walker said Wednesday he supports abortion bans without any exceptions for rape, incest or the health of the mother. 

"There's no exception in my mind," Walker told reporters after a campaign speech. "Like I say, I believe in life. I believe in life."
This reminds me of the time during the 2016 primaries when Trump told Chris Matthews that women who get abortions should be prosecuted. In both cases, the speaker didn't have a well-thought-out opinion on the matter -- Trump because he was obviously pro-choice, Walker because, well, he's a few PSI short of a fully inflated football. So instead, they parroted the script they thought they were supposed to recite. 

This issue has momentarily taken a backseat to gun control. But it will explode again when the announcement is made formally  that Roe is overturned.

IF the above is followed by several states immediately and automatically outlawing abortion, and 

IF, as expected, Republicans in Congress reject all Democratic proposals on gun control, and 

IF, as most experts believe, the supply chain issue, including baby formula, will be alleviated by the fall, and

IF, as some economists believe, the inflation issue will be somewhat alleviated by the fall, and

IF Republicans continue to nominate in their primaries “MAGA” types like Herschel Walker who are simply embarrassments, and 

IF the 1/6 public hearings are watched or paid attention to by millions, 

then November might not be so bad for Democrats after all. Lots of ifs though. We will see. 

You’re FBGs, the rest of the country is working poor..
Exactly why I vote for politicians that support additional low income and child tax credits, universal health care or an increase/expansion of medicare, free community college or additional education grants, equal work and pay rights, child daycare assistance, etc, etc, etc...  All things that can help these folks get ahead.  But it still requires some hard work and dedication on their end to use these sort of programs to make their financial lives better. 

When overturning Roe, there isn't anything Alito could draft that would make the pro-choice crowd go, "You know, he's right."

I'm part of the pro-choice crowd. There are plenty of things that can be written (and have been written) in favor of overturning Roe that I believe are correct.

This issue has momentarily taken a backseat to gun control. But it will explode again when the announcement is made formally  that Roe is overturned.

IF the above is followed by several states immediately and automatically outlawing abortion, and 

IF, as expected, Republicans in Congress reject all Democratic proposals on gun control, and 

IF, as most experts believe, the supply chain issue, including baby formula, will be alleviated by the fall, and

IF, as some economists believe, the inflation issue will be somewhat alleviated by the fall, and

IF Republicans continue to nominate in their primaries “MAGA” types like Herschel

Walker

who are simply embarrassments, and 

IF the 1/6 public hearings are watched or paid attention to by millions, 

then November might not be so bad for Democrats after all. Lots of ifs though. We will see. 

I think you're dreaming, TBH.

Most people care about the economy and what affects them personally.  Abortion and Gun control are two issues that are not high on most people's list.  If the economy and inflation keep tanking, THAT will be decider, not virtue topics like Abortion and Gun Control.

Not all people do.  It's rarely a factor for me.  :shrug:
Same, but it's kind of undeniable that economic factors drive election results.  It's generally not rational, but it's why GHWB didn't get a second term and Clinton did, for instance.

Ideological and politically-aware voters like you and me probably don't vote on economics, but the median voter is somebody who thinks that the president somehow controls gas prices and the stock market.

Most people care about the economy and what affects them personally.  Abortion and Gun control are two issues that are not high on most people's list.  If the economy and inflation keep tanking, THAT will be decider, not virtue topics like Abortion and Gun Control.
Sadly, I agree with you on the liberal side.  On the conservative side, there have always been a significant contingent of single-issue voters on abortion and guns.

You aren't a layperson.  Lawyers are trained to think differently.
To the extent that law school isn't completely useless, I agree that lawyers may have been rewired to think a bit differently in some respects.

But I also think that, among the professions, the law is about the most accessible to lay people. Legal opinions tend to be written in something close to plain English, with their reasoning intended to be comprehensible to all readers. (Unlike, say, architectural drawings or accounting arcana.)

I think there are plenty of non-lawyers capable of understanding that "policy positions I like" and "rights actually protected by the Constitution" don't perfectly overlap, and that the right to abortion may be left out of the intersection. Certainly they can understand why overturning old precedent (i.e., settled law) is sometimes appropriate. Alito's draft explains all of those things, but maybe not always in the most constructive way.

(I don't think the Alito draft is egregiously terrible. I just think it could use some editing and a change in tone. More humility, less condescension, would be my recommendation, which I think the Politico alternative captured well.)

My fellow prochoice people- the next time you are thinking that the other side is being hypocritical please first remind yourself that the other side views it as murdering a baby. I am not saying you have to agree with that position. Just acknowledge that it is the position. This way you wont say something like "omg how can you support smaller government but be in favor of a law that stops people from [murdering babies]"

Abortion prohibitionists- please remind yourself that the other side does not view it as murder. This way you can understand why people would think it is absurd to be able to sue or prosecute somebody that gets a [standard birthing person medical procedure].

Thanks. 

parasaurolophus said:
My fellow prochoice people- the next time you are thinking that the other side is being hypocritical please first remind yourself that the other side views it as murdering a baby. I am not saying you have to agree with that position. Just acknowledge that it is the position. This way you wont say something like "omg how can you support smaller government but be in favor of a law that stops people from [murdering babies]"

Abortion prohibitionists- please remind yourself that the other side does not view it as murder. This way you can understand why people would think it is absurd to be able to sue or prosecute somebody that gets a [standard birthing person medical procedure].

Thanks. 

I mean I could kind of agree with you, except there are currently, 38 states that have fetal homicide laws: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.  

So shouldn't an affirmative defense to fetal homicide laws be, that you are pro-choice and don't view terminating a fetus as murder.

Generally speaking these are called blue states.   The states that pay far more into the federal coffers than gets returned.  Which is in contrast to those red states where the residents are always complaining about how much they are robbed to pay for others where all that blue state money ends up.

Generally speaking!
So as long as I say "generally speaking" I can say anything I want, right?

Users who are viewing this thread