What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 college football thread: its conference realignment season. (1 Viewer)

I don't know how UCLA can leave without Cal. Aren't they tied together? Or is that just another false memory I have?

I think this is generally fine for football and basketball. 

But the other sports? Holy moly. How is USC field hockey going to travel to Rutgers? That won't be fun.

Yeah I'm pretty concerned about the non-revenue generating sports.  I realize that most fans don't care, but the majority of collegiate athletes aren't playing football or men's hoops.  Would be a shame to see the support for those eroded even further and the opportunities for kids to have that actual student-athlete experience go away.  Seems it's time to separate college football into its own thing entirely, and keep the rest of college sports in what's left of the traditional leagues (although that ship has probably sailed).

I think this is generally fine for football and basketball. 

But the other sports? Holy moly. How is USC field hockey going to travel to Rutgers? That won't be fun.
The Arizona schools fly 1600 miles to play Washington schools. At that point, what’s another hour of air time?

ESPN is war-chesting $$...just for this. Either 2 or possibly 1 Super-Conference...10-12 game regular season...full multi-round 16 team playoffs.  Big rivalries kept in tact, but you'll make the playoffs at 8-4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought - somewhere out there, LHUCKS has to be having convulsions at that the thought of 2 of his beloved PAC 12 teams are going to join “The Big Slow” (or whatever he called the Big 10). 

If it is about expanding the B1G television footprint:  1.  Notre Dame,  2.  Florida school such as Miami or Florida State, 3. Texas school (Baylor, TCU).  I'm not sure adding Oregon or Stanford would be a money maker for the TV contracts.

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
The rumors I'm hearing are that, after this USC/UCLA deal goes through, the B1G goes after Oregon and Washington, and then two from the B12, likely Iowa State and Missouri.
I’d be all in on Mizzou, but I don’t see them going after Iowa St. 

Seeing more and more talk about B1G adding: ORE, UW, Stanford and Cal, which would put them at 18. 

Interestingly, I read that Nebraska lost their AAU accreditation, which could spell trouble for them staying in the conference.

This too:

Ross Dellenger

@RossDellenger

Not only have several programs contacted the Big Ten about joining the league, but media outlets are circling back with the conference amid media rights negotiations.

Quote Tweet

John Ourand

@Ourand_SBJ

· 2h

Apple told the Big Ten that it wants to reengage in media talks after it heard about USC and UCLA joining the conference. My story with @SmittySBJ. https://sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/SBJ-Unpacks/2022/06/30.aspx

They should just go full NWO and take as many teams as they want as fast as possible, change the conference name to “Big LIV,” and only play amongst themselves while making fun of their little sisters left in the NCAA.

Interestingly, I read that Nebraska lost their AAU accreditation, which could spell trouble for them staying in the conference.
11 Years ago on some technicalities when they joined the Big 10.  With the help of some Big 10 schools and B 12 schools voting against them.  :shrug:  

Just a thought - somewhere out there, LHUCKS has to be having convulsions at that the thought of 2 of his beloved PAC 12 teams are going to join “The Big Slow” (or whatever he called the Big 10). 

As a B1G fan an Illinois Alum the only 2 real questions I had were:

1) is LHUCKS joining the B1G as part of the deal?

And 

2) please God leave Bill Walton in the PAC less than 12!!!

-QG

June 30 was a deadline for PAC teams to leave w/o penalty and join for 2024 so there isn't really any specific reason for more shoes to drop right away.

Given the stealth move and now inevitable moves my other PAC teams to hit up the B1G about membership if anything the clock is pushed back a tiny bit as the B1G does due diligence on what the would be members do for the pie (and also if this moves ND at all)

Outside the ND football question the ACC gets to hang in a weird limbo given right now all the member schools have their GOR tied up until 2036.  Apparently it would take 9 votes to end that OR perhaps more intriguingly the GOR is gone if they vote to you expand.  So they are pretty much in a box - a harder target to poach but also unable to make a move.

Suddenly the Big XII might well be off life support as much by accident if anything else though perhaps in hindsight they would have been better off with a more modest expansion in this interim.  The dark horses for a B1G or SEC lifeline (particularly Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado and Utah) may be left with the Big XII as their only option.

Cal's only hope may be if ND steadfastly refuses to join even if Stanford gets an invite.  At least it fits the academic profile in spades.

As for Washington State and Oregon State? Rough seas ahead.

-QG 

Just have to say, somebody up thread (can’t remember who) mentioned how devastating it would be for Lhucks to know two of the major Pac schools left for the “Big Slow Conference” and man that is exceptionally funny to think about. Wonder what happened to that guy. 

Again, I sound like an old man, but what are some of these teams like Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA, South Carolina, Ole Miss etc playing for in these conferences? What is a good season?

Beat your rival? You may never play your main rival again. Many schools have lost that game. 

Win the conference? Literally impossible for probably half of the current SEC and even more of the Big.  

Win a big bowl game? The playoff has made these totally irrelevant. I guess you get a fun trip to sunny Tampa or Orlando to see your team play Auburn? Is this it? Just for the admin and coaching staff to pile up more money?

I understand why it is like this I just don’t understand why anybody thinks it is good. 

Again, I sound like an old man, but what are some of these teams like Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA, South Carolina, Ole Miss etc playing for in these conferences? What is a good season?

Beat your rival? You may never play your main rival again. Many schools have lost that game. 

Win the conference? Literally impossible for probably half of the current SEC and even more of the Big.  

Win a big bowl game? The playoff has made these totally irrelevant. I guess you get a fun trip to sunny Tampa or Orlando to see your team play Auburn? Is this it? Just for the admin and coaching staff to pile up more money?

I understand why it is like this I just don’t understand why anybody thinks it is good. 
The money from media deals? It's different for long-time fans, but these administrators are trying to reap what they can. Most major college football programs will be fine (even if they suck), but what's been happening the last few years is a wrecking ball to the other collegiate sports. 

The money from media deals? It's different for long-time fans, but these administrators are trying to reap what they can. Most major college football programs will be fine (even if they suck), but what's been happening the last few years is a wrecking ball to the other collegiate sports. 
So you’re rooting for your school to make money now?

Like I said I get why they did it ( :moneybag:  ) but what I don’t get is what most fans will be rooting for now. 

So you’re rooting for your school to make money now?

Like I said I get why they did it ( :moneybag:  ) but what I don’t get is what most fans will be rooting for now. 
 As I tried to say, leaving aside fans...... I understand why the schools are doing this. As a fan, it's been sucking for years. I hated it when the ACC brought in FSU 30 years ago, though I understood why they did it.

They should just go full NWO and take as many teams as they want as fast as possible, change the conference name to “Big LIV,” and only play amongst themselves while making fun of their little sisters left in the NCAA.
They will no longer sing the national anthem and play this instead. 

Just have to say, somebody up thread (can’t remember who) mentioned how devastating it would be for Lhucks to know two of the major Pac schools left for the “Big Slow Conference” and man that is exceptionally funny to think about. Wonder what happened to that guy. 
:bye:

I don't know.  New rivalries will be created, things will be different, and that sucks but we're still going to watch and bet on as many games as we can.

I never gave a rat's ### about Texas 8&4 before they joined the SEC.  Now I truly hate them, and their male cheerleaders about as much as anyone else that LSU plays.(looking at you @gump).  The SEC wanted that to be a rivalry and they made it happen.

I don't know.  New rivalries will be created, things will be different, and that sucks but we're still going to watch and bet on as many games as we can.

I never gave a rat's ### about Texas 8&4 before they joined the SEC.  Now I truly hate them, and their male cheerleaders about as much as anyone else that LSU plays.(looking at you @gump).  The SEC wanted that to be a rivalry and they made it happen.
The Big 10 wanted Penn State - Michigan State to be a thing since they're both land grant colleges.  They gave us a nasty looking trophy n'at.  MSU still doesn't mean anything to me, or most other Penn State fans.

The Big 10 wanted Penn State - Michigan State to be a thing since they're both land grant colleges.  They gave us a nasty looking trophy n'at.  MSU still doesn't mean anything to me, or most other Penn State fans.
Same

Penn State still doesn't mean anything to me, or most other Michigan State fans. And that trophy is an abomination

:hifive:

This video breaks down the economics of the USC/UCLA expansion.  What stood out to me is the number of college students California EXPORTS.  CA, NJ, and MD together export 20% of all college students.  The other is the number of B1G school alumni that live in SF/LA.  It is not an inconsequential number.  

IOW, this was not necessarily a total money grab.  Engaging your west coast alumni into donations by being able to see their team on TV all the time, plus all the research dollars that would flow in is massive.

IOW, this was not necessarily a total money grab.  Engaging your west coast alumni into donations by being able to see their team on TV all the time, plus all the research dollars that would flow in is massive.
Your two reasons to explain why this wasn’t a total money grab are both money. (I get what you’re saying, just thought it was funny.)

That said, of course it’s a total money grab.

Same

Penn State still doesn't mean anything to me, or most other Michigan State fans. And that trophy is an abomination

:hifive:
Yeah, but Texas A$M clearly has the most punchable face in all of college football.

This video breaks down the economics of the USC/UCLA expansion.  What stood out to me is the number of college students California EXPORTS.  CA, NJ, and MD together export 20% of all college students.  The other is the number of B1G school alumni that live in SF/LA.  It is not an inconsequential number.  

Sounds like a total money grab.

I already didn't give much of a flip about it, but if Vandy doesn't play UT every year I will most likely stop watching on TV. Only games I would care to watch would be those I attend, and the only games I would attend would be those that I had time to tailgate.

I'm truly curious how ND plays this. Swarbrick thinks he's smarter than he is, which is the concern of all ND fans. But, we know the writing is on the wall and the Big Ten is the best option for ND and that it'll eventually happen.

I'm of the opinion ND tries to negotiate now as the big wig free agent it is right at this moment. USC's movement to the Big Ten was massive with respect to ND because it stretched the conference from coast to coast ("We want to maintain a national presence") but also co-located a lot of ND's "traditional" rivalries. The only concern at all now is games against teams in the south, but again, writing is on the wall.

I wish these conferences would just end the farce and do what's inevitable - Northern Athletic Conference (former Big Ten) and Southern Athletic Conference (former SEC) and have the two champs duke it out for the title each year.

Oh and before anyone tries to jump the gun - ND makes less on its NBC deal than any of the Big Ten teams make in their TV deal right this moment (yes, even Rutgers). So this is not about TV revenue like some of the talking heads not doing their research for some reason continue to think. I think it's been more than ND plays a national schedule and prefers a vote of 1 vs. having to negotiate as a group.

It's coming though, so might as well jump in head first and try to annunciate any necessary terms to get us in (Must have games against USC/Michigan/Navy? We'll come but you have to bring Duke/Stanford too? The rest of the conference must acknowledge Michigan s&*^s?)

Oh and before anyone tries to jump the gun - ND makes less on its NBC deal than any of the Big Ten teams make in their TV deal right this moment (yes, even Rutgers). So this is not about TV revenue like some of the talking heads not doing their research for some reason continue to think. I think it's been more than ND plays a national schedule and prefers a vote of 1 vs. having to negotiate as a group.

It's coming though, so might as well jump in head first and try to annunciate any necessary terms to get us in (Must have games against USC/Michigan/Navy? We'll come but you have to bring Duke/Stanford too? The rest of the conference must acknowledge Michigan s&*^s?)
IMO, bringing in SC and to some extent UCLA,  was meant to lure them in.  If B1G has Stanford on line 2 ready to jump to them, then ND's going to have to get off the schneid and do something.  If they're not careful, they could a conference of 1 that no other conference has room for.

IMO, bringing in SC and to some extent UCLA,  was meant to lure them in.  If B1G has Stanford on line 2 ready to jump to them, then ND's going to have to get off the schneid and do something.  If they're not careful, they could a conference of 1 that no other conference has room for.
Nah there will always be room for ND. They could wait 20 years and say ok we are ready and the Big or SEC would let them in. 

Users who are viewing this thread