What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4th of July parade shooting in Chicago suburb (1 Viewer)

I don’t think there is much you can do here, which is why we should have even slightly tougher gun laws, but this country is insane about their guns and would rather have these shootings than any rudimentary laws so here we are. Sucks. 
All we can control is the access to guns. I’m very interested to see how this kid got his access. 

Any idea what type of rifle and ammo used?
AR15 with 25 or 30 round magazines with green tip (M855) ammo. Put that in for my guess in the pool. I didn’t count the number of shots in FB Live video going around but that will give you an idea of the size of magazine used, there is a clear break where I assume he is reloading and then starts firing again. Green tip because why not? As readily available as ball ammo and gives you the added benefit of going through steel.

Unfortunately probably the as the last few- legally.  
Which goes back to the question of why do people think its a good idea to use them in a a public setting.   Unfortunately legal gun owners may pay the price for the unhinged who cannot control their actions.

Which goes back to the question of why do people think its a good idea to use them in a a public setting.   Unfortunately legal gun owners may pay the price for the unhinged who cannot control their actions.
I guess I look at all the resistance to any sort of change and have unfortunately just come to the conclusion this is cost of living in the US now.    I don't see gun restrictions getting much tighter in my lifetime.  I hope I am wrong on that front, but I am not holding my breath.  

I was wondering how does someone get standing to dispute the second amendment?  When it went to the Supreme Court, wouldn't they have to state what the 2nd amendement really is?  And then turn gun control upside down?

The teen mind is prone to extreme thoughts to begin with. The troubled teen mind can be particularly volatile, even over things that may not make any sense to adults. 
It’s almost like any sane, rational person could easily come to the conclusion that allowing teenagers and young adults whose brains aren’t fully developed yet shouldn’t be allowed legal access to high powered firearms designed exclusively to kill as many humans as effectively and quickly as possible. 

But who am I kidding. ‘Murica!

It’s almost like any sane, rational person could easily come to the conclusion that allowing teenagers and young adults whose brains aren’t fully developed yet shouldn’t be allowed legal access to high powered firearms designed exclusively to kill as many humans as effectively and quickly as possible. 

But who am I kidding. ‘Murica!

While giving them mind conditioning practice in the form of video games that simulate the killing of fellow humans 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering how does someone get standing to dispute the second amendment?  When it went to the Supreme Court, wouldn't they have to state what the 2nd amendement really is?  And then turn gun control upside down?
"Once you've been shot to death, then you have standing."

~Justice Thomas, probably.

While giving them mind conditioning practice in the form of video games that simulate the killing of fellow humans 
There was little correlation with video games and the mass shooters.  I think it was around 7-8% of them they studied played those sorts of games with any frequency.  

Not much to say at this point. If any little twerp with a face tattoo and a disturbing tik tok account can legally obtain a weapon like this (obviously waiting on the details here, but I'm guessing that's probably what happened) and just light up a crowd (with nobody stepping in to say "hmm....I wonder why he needs/wants this gun") there's just nothing we can do.

Just hoping/praying that nobody I care about gets caught in one of these someday.

The only real way to handle all of these shootings is to severely tighten gun control to the level that will not be acceptable to much of the country. 

Unless we do that then we need to just accept the fact that killings like this are going to continue and probably get worse.   

It is part of being an American now, just hope that you or someone you love is never involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real way to handle all of these shootings is to severely tighten gun control to the level that will not be acceptable to much of the country. 

Unless we do that then we need to just accept the fact that killings like this are going to continue and probably get worse.   

It is part of being an American now, just hope that the you or someone you love is never involved.
We are headed that way.  I would like to hear some NRA statements today.  

Best route would be a state creating a restrictive law. 

AR15 with 25 or 30 round magazines with green tip (M855) ammo. Put that in for my guess in the pool
So you're guessing, right?

Since we've segued into the inevitable gun talk, ill add my repeated 2c...

Since we can't convince gun owners that they can only own revolution era/style muskets (to be faithful the second amendment) let's please limit magazines to 3 bullets. 

It is part of being an American now, just hope that you or someone you love is never involved.

Basically.  And the problem is that ANYTHING that we try will just be seen as "the first step down a slippery slope".

Obviously there's an underlying issue of mental health that is a MAJOR problem. And yeah....if we made guns MUCH harder to get, many of these people would just resort to other forms of violence (homemade explosives, driving a car into a crowd, etc.)

So you're guessing, right?

Since we've segued into the inevitable gun talk, ill add my repeated 2c...

Since we can't convince gun owners that they can only own revolution era/style muskets (to be faithful the second amendment) let's please limit magazines to 3 bullets. 
100% guess but it will be pretty close.

Not a fan of 3 bullet magazines but don't think we need 30 rounders either. I own a #### ton of them but there really isn't a good reason for them. 10 is probably the right number but that's Cali law and I hate agreeing with anything that comes from that state.

Trying not to judge, but there are some fat people in Philly!
It's not just Philly. The adult obesity rate in the USA is 33% and increasing. It's projected to be 35% by 2027. It's as big of a public health problem as gun violence, and the solutions are non-partisan.

Other estimates are higher, especially for Blacks and Hispanics:

>>Non-Hispanic Black adults (49.9%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanic adults (45.6%), non-Hispanic White adults (41.4%) and non-Hispanic Asian adults (16.1%).

The obesity prevalence was 39.8% among adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.3% among adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 41.5% among adults aged 60 and older.<<

Yep, don't disagree but I said they were right in this case. I'm open to a conversation, I may not like the policies but I'll discuss them in a rational manner so keep your judgement.
Fwiw, why is 3 bad and 10 ok?

As a non gun guy who would prefer you had a single load musket, but understand that's a goof...3 shots seems like enough to riddle a deer or whatever full of holes, but also gives fellow humans time to react after the last shot.

As a non gun guy who would prefer you had a single load musket, but understand that's a goof...3 shots seems like enough to riddle a deer or whatever full of holes, but also gives fellow humans time to react after the last shot.
Pick a number I guess. Not everyone is a crack shot (myself included), the more you have available, the more time you can shoot rather than spending all your time on the range reloading. 10 gives you enough rounds to make adjustments and dial in your weapon without having to reset everything after three shots.

Yep, don't disagree but I said they were right in this case. I'm open to a conversation, I may not like the policies but I'll discuss them in a rational manner so keep your judgement.
Glad you’re open to it. Not really judging you, you are the one who said it, and that kind of process is a major problem that’s all. 

That is a little surprising.  What was the biggest correlation?
@FairWarning - do you not read my posts in the PSF??!!   :pokey:

HERE is a link to a good summary article about what the book.  I know - it's Vice and people might not love the source, but I've read the book twice and it's a good article about what is in the book.  So the 4 main things:

A new Department of Justice-funded study of all mass shootings — killings of four or more people in a public place — since 1966 found that the shooters typically have an experience with childhood trauma, a personal crisis or specific grievance, and a “script” or examples that validate their feelings or provide a roadmap. And then there’s the fourth thing: access to a firearm.

The other main thing was suicidal thoughts, but the article summarizes their thoughts in the book as to why there isn't the high correlation with mental illness that people claim.  

Also, the book is very specific in their definition of mass shooting, and they purposely left out gang/inner city mass shootings because they had vastly different profiles and reasons.  

Pick a number I guess. Not everyone is a crack shot (myself included), the more you have available, the more time you can shoot rather than spending all your time on the range reloading. 10 gives you enough rounds to make adjustments and dial in your weapon without having to reset everything after three shots.
As a gun owner, I'd support 3.  That's all that's legally allowed for most hunting situations, and I see the minor reloading inconvenience a more than fair compromise.

I only have 10-round magazines and rarely put all 10 in while at the range.  It gets too expensive to just keep plinking away that quickly.

@FairWarning - do you not read my posts in the PSF??!!   :pokey:

HERE is a link to a good summary article about what the book.  I know - it's Vice and people might not love the source, but I've read the book twice and it's a good article about what is in the book.  So the 4 main things:

A new Department of Justice-funded study of all mass shootings — killings of four or more people in a public place — since 1966 found that the shooters typically have an experience with childhood trauma, a personal crisis or specific grievance, and a “script” or examples that validate their feelings or provide a roadmap. And then there’s the fourth thing: access to a firearm.

The other main thing was suicidal thoughts, but the article summarizes their thoughts in the book as to why there isn't the high correlation with mental illness that people claim.  
Thanks for reposting the link.  I knew they would leave out mass shootings from the cities. 

Cheesesteaks are delicious. 
When Ed Rendell was mayor of Philly, I attended several conferences for which he gave an opening speech. He had one line he said every time: “My first piece of advice to you is to have a Philly cheesesteak. My second piece of advice to you is to have only one Philly cheesesteak.”

It's not just Philly. The adult obesity rate in the USA is 33% and increasing. It's projected to be 35% by 2027. It's as big of a public health problem as gun violence, and the solutions are non-partisan.

Other estimates are higher, especially for Blacks and Hispanics:

>>Non-Hispanic Black adults (49.9%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanic adults (45.6%), non-Hispanic White adults (41.4%) and non-Hispanic Asian adults (16.1%).

The obesity prevalence was 39.8% among adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.3% among adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 41.5% among adults aged 60 and older.<<
If you raise the standard required to be obese, obesity rates will go down. Make it like 75 bmi to be obese. 🤔🤔

Thanks for reposting the link.  I knew they would leave out mass shootings from the cities. 
They explained why for their studies, and a school shooter is completely different than an gang/inner city type shooter, so it makes sense.   A lot of good info in there about the typical shooter like Uvalde and yesterday. 

Good friend and neighbor works in Highland Park govt and I knew she'd be at the parade.  It was a very nerve wracking day watching that on the news not knowing if she was OK.   Thankfully she and her son were fine but were within 100 ft of the shooter.   In addition to the grief and suffering of those directly affected, there are also countless people who will be wondering for the rest of their life if they could have done something that day to stop or prevent this. 

#### man.  How many incidents like this do we need for people before we decide this is unacceptable and we should change as a country?  

Yeah - I've never seriously considered moving to another country and still not really considering it but the gun issue is probably the only thing that would maybe convince me to move. 

Good friend and neighbor works in Highland Park govt and I knew she'd be at the parade.  It was a very nerve wracking day watching that on the news not knowing if she was OK.   Thankfully she and her son were fine but were within 100 ft of the shooter.   In addition to the grief and suffering of those directly affected, there are also countless people who will be wondering for the rest of their life if they could have done something that day to stop or prevent this. 

#### man.  How many incidents like this do we need for people before we decide this is unacceptable and we should change as a country?  
Glad your friend is OK.

If Newtown and Uvalde couldn't move the needle, nothing will. Ever. Or at least until money is taken out of politics. So never.

Users who are viewing this thread