Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

How 'bout them Reds!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suck it, Cards!

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT! FIRST PLACE, BABY!

They wanted him out of the way and straight releasing him wouldn't have sat well with a big chunk of the fan base.  

35 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Incredible game by Bauer, but the offense TOOTBLAN'd themselves out of a couple runs in addition to being typically anemic.

Bauer was fantastic - both teams offenses have been #### and Atlanta wouldn't have expected that.  I mean, I expected it as a Braves fan, but I can't imagine they thought they would go scoreless for 4 innings AFTER Bauer went out. 

BTW - not sure what you Reds fans think but this ump has been kind of all over the place for both sides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Bauer was fantastic - both teams offenses have been #### and Atlanta wouldn't have expected that.  I mean, I expected it as a Braves fan, but I can't imagine they thought they would go scoreless for 4 innings AFTER Bauer went out. 

BTW - not sure what you Reds fans think but this ump has been kind of all over the place for both sides.

I can only half watch as I work. Right now on a conf call that I kinda need to pay attention to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

That was insanity pitching to Freddie.  No clue what you guy's manager was thinking.

I think he just wanted to take out Bradley who looked like a mess and it was easier to justify going L/L with Amir. I was thinking walk him, but I think Amir strikes him out a decent amount of the time too. Tough decision. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

That was insanity pitching to Freddie.  No clue what you guy's manager was thinking.

Garret gave up one hit to a lefty this year.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shuke said:

Garret gave up one hit to a lefty this year.

 

Sure - but after watching what Freddie has done this year and how bad Ozuna had been all day it just seemed crazy to me.  I don’t know the Reds squad well enough but to me the play should have been walk Freeman and load the bases.  Pitch to Ozuna and play the infield medium depth.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cheese said:

I think he just wanted to take out Bradley who looked like a mess and it was easier to justify going L/L with Amir. I was thinking walk him, but I think Amir strikes him out a decent amount of the time too. Tough decision. 

I definitely get why they wanted to take him out - I wasn’t sure what righty they may have had in the pen to replace him.  If the Reds extend the game their the Braves probably have to go to a starter soon and we have no starting depth.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitching was there, considering the whole bullpen was going on consecutive days more or less.

I don’t  know how a whole team hits like 50 points below their career averages for a whole season though. I get that batting coaches shouldn’t matter that much at the major league level, but it’s almost like they haven’t bothered scouting  opposing pitchers at all as an organization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, On The Rocks said:

Reds trade Raisel Iglesias for Noe Ramiriz.

I've been a Reds fan for 45 years. If they're getting ready to dump salary and scrap everything all over again, I'm thinking this might be it for me.

Somebody please talk me off the ledge.

 

If they take the $14 million or so they just dumped and get a shortstop I think it will work out. Expensive relievers are a luxury and if Antone and Sims are the real deal nobody will miss Iglesias, who reminded me too much recently of late career Cuban Danny Graves.

A shortstop (hoping for a unicorn who can lead off), could fix that whole lineup if they find the right outfield rotation even if you don’t get much from Votto and the catcher spot offensively. And who knows, maybe Votto can have a moderate bounceback (or even a dead-cat bounce, honestly. They can’t possibly hit worse as a whole.

Or, maybe that frees up enough to resign Bauer.

i don’t think its a fire sale yet.

 

 

 

 

 

Yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, On The Rocks said:

Reds trade Raisel Iglesias for Noe Ramiriz.

I've been a Reds fan for 45 years. If they're getting ready to dump salary and scrap everything all over again, I'm thinking this might be it for me.

Somebody please talk me off the ledge.

 

Definitely not a fire sale.  IMO, closers who can only close are no longer the model to go by.  Need someone who can hold a game for 1+ innings.  Iglesias seemed to only pitched well when he thought he should be used, ie in a save situation.  Reds record for losses by a reliver in 2019, and in the short 2020 season, he fared a bit better, but still gave up the lead a bit more than I would like to see.  

I believe it was a monetary move, but I don't think it makes them any weaker.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

So for the annual "we can't have nice things" review:

  • DIdn't sign a marquee shortsop
  • Joey has the COVID
  • Sonny Gray is hurt
  • Miley is hurt
  • Shogo is hurt
  • Garrett was hurt, still hasn't pitched in a game

Am I forgetting anybody?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read that Suarez has been working out at SS and will start there for today's game.  If he's passable defensibly, that's a great bat to have there, and un-jams a few other positions, with Moustakas and India both able to play 2B or 3B, along with Senzel when they have Shogo in CF.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, shuke said:

Dropped $800 on tickets today.  Going to feel good getting back to the ballpark.

Some of us have been here all along.  :)

But we'll be happy to have you back, GB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Caesar said:

Some of us have been here all along.  :)

But we'll be happy to have you back, GB.

You work there, right?  Mind sharing some insider info?

What capacity are they selling at? 30%?  What percentage of that is season ticket holders?

Assuming 30% capacity and promotional items being handed out over two games, are there more than enough so I don't have to worry about getting there super early?

New no backpack policy has exemption for Reds Heads backpacks.  Is that only the current club backpack or are older ones allowed?  Can an adult bring in a Reds Heads backpack, if we want to bring multiple in?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shuke said:

You work there, right?  Mind sharing some insider info?

What capacity are they selling at? 30%?  What percentage of that is season ticket holders?

Assuming 30% capacity and promotional items being handed out over two games, are there more than enough so I don't have to worry about getting there super early?

New no backpack policy has exemption for Reds Heads backpacks.  Is that only the current club backpack or are older ones allowed?  Can an adult bring in a Reds Heads backpack, if we want to bring multiple in?

 

Yes.  We are at 30%, so that is about 12000 seats being sold.  I don't have the numbers on season tickets, but I think its a fair percentage.  They usually give us that number based on the previous season, so this year was a bit skewed for obvious reasons.

I believe there are enough give aways to get through the full two games with max capacity of 12K.  They don't actually have that on our internal calendar, but its always as supplies last.  If you are at the first of the two games, it should be no problem.  If you are at the second, might still want to plan a little early if you want to be sure.  They need to go away fast so I can get my parking space back.  :)

Reds heads bags and I think diaper bags are ok.  They will challenge people and make them put stuff back in their car if they have more than reasonable.   The idea is to avoid the backpacks with 12 pockets in them.  It makes the search take forever and greatly slows down fan entry into the ballpark.  I do think it is going to continue to get more strict over the next few years as well.  

From the Reds website:

 

New in 2021, Guests that want to bring a bag into the ballpark should follow the below: Bags that can be brought into the ballpark – as long as the item does not exceed 16” x 16” x 8”
• Bags used specifically for medical purposes (excluding backpack type containers)
• Bags used specifically for infant care purposes (excluding backpack type of containers)
Reds Heads Bags that were provided beginning in 2020
• Purses
• Soft Sided Coolers that contain food and non-alcoholic drinks
• Food bags
• Unopened drinks that are non-alcoholic

Bags that are prohibited
• Backpacks as defined as a container made of flexible or rigid material used for carrying items with a variety of pockets that can be carried or positioned on a person’s back.

Guests bringing in permitted bags will be required to enter through a designated “bag line”, depending on the size of the entry, and all bags will be thoroughly inspected which could include the use of x-ray technology.

Hope that helps.  

Edited by Caesar
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Yes.  We are at 30%, so that is about 12000 seats being sold.  I don't have the numbers on season tickets, but I think its a fair percentage.  They usually give us that number based on the previous season, so this year was a bit skewed for obvious reasons.

I believe there are enough give aways to get through the full two games with max capacity of 12K.  They don't actually have that on our internal calendar, but its always as supplies last.  If you are at the first of the two games, it should be no problem.  If you are at the second, might still want to plan a little early if you want to be sure.  They need to go away fast so I can get my parking space back.  :)

Reds heads bags and I think diaper bags are ok.  They will challenge people and make them put stuff back in their car if they have more than reasonable.   The idea is to avoid the backpacks with 12 pockets in them.  It makes the search take forever and greatly slows down fan entry into the ballpark.  I do think it is going to continue to get more strict over the next few years as well.  

From the Reds website:

 

New in 2021, Guests that want to bring a bag into the ballpark should follow the below: Bags that can be brought into the ballpark – as long as the item does not exceed 16” x 16” x 8”
• Bags used specifically for medical purposes (excluding backpack type containers)
• Bags used specifically for infant care purposes (excluding backpack type of containers)
Reds Heads Bags that were provided beginning in 2020
• Purses
• Soft Sided Coolers that contain food and non-alcoholic drinks
• Food bags
• Unopened drinks that are non-alcoholic

Bags that are prohibited
• Backpacks as defined as a container made of flexible or rigid material used for carrying items with a variety of pockets that can be carried or positioned on a person’s back.

Guests bringing in permitted bags will be required to enter through a designated “bag line”, depending on the size of the entry, and all bags will be thoroughly inspected which could include the use of x-ray technology.

Hope that helps.  

 

Thanks man. Glad to see that the backpack restriction is only about search time, and that it's still ok to bring in our own food/water.

You at every game?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shuke said:

 

Thanks man. Glad to see that the backpack restriction is only about search time, and that it's still ok to bring in our own food/water.

You at every game?  

Most of them.  I will take off about 1 per homestand.  Boss let me take off the Easter game this week because of my 4 year old twins.  Thought that was pretty cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Random takeaways:

Umm, offense looked better.  Too bad pitching,fielding, and baserunning looked like crap.

India was our best infielder. Of course half the infield is at new positions, but still, looking for positives here. Thinking I’d rather see Jim Day at first though.

Senzel is approaching Tyler Eifert status, minus most of the production.

What a miserable day for a game. If the rest of the starting pitching starts this slow , we’ll be out of it before it starts, again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Castellanos has become an Cincinnati favorite  with that picture flexing over the Cardinals pitcher yesterday and today hits the two run homer. First place!

Edited by trogg78
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trogg78 said:

Castellanos has become an Cincinnati favorite  with that picture flexing over the Cardinals pitcher yesterday and today hits the two run homer. First place!

Didn’t see it yesterday, but loved it. And Molina should’ve been tossed too - coming through the ump and shoving - BS. Think the Cards plunked another guy after that  too (could be wrong about the timing). 
 

I could definitely get used to scoring 8 a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm inclined to write off Thursday as Castillo not liking to pitch in sub-40F temps.  I think he'll be fine in the long run, and Mahle & Hoffman both seemed to do well.

Nice to see some offense across all 3 games.

Of course, "see" is just an expression for me since I have Dish, and I'm not dropping another $50-60/month to add whoever has FSOH. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

I'm inclined to write off Thursday as Castillo not liking to pitch in sub-40F temps.  I think he'll be fine in the long run, and Mahle & Hoffman both seemed to do well.

Nice to see some offense across all 3 games.

Of course, "see" is just an expression for me since I have Dish, and I'm not dropping another $50-60/month to add whoever has FSOH. 

It’s now “Bally Sports Ohio”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

It’s now “Bally Sports Ohio”.

Oh, right. Still, I haven't been able to get it since ~August 2019 when Sinclair bought the stations and started extorting for higher $$

Link to post
Share on other sites

Castellanos suspends two games. That’s total BS, even through my homer vision.

Fastball in the ribs, double knees on the back on the slide at home, then shoved in the back, but he gets two games for “aggressive actions”.

Aside from a few fines handed out, it’s almost like baseball wants to stoke bad blood between teams with uneven or unneeded discipline.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rustoleum said:

Castellanos suspends two games. That’s total BS, even through my homer vision.

Fastball in the ribs, double knees on the back on the slide at home, then shoved in the back, but he gets two games for “aggressive actions”.

Aside from a few fines handed out, it’s almost like baseball wants to stoke bad blood between teams with uneven or unneeded discipline.

 

 

I guess MLB isn’t concerned with retaliation. You can push some guys around and just get fined. Seems like a real great policy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, On The Rocks said:

John Sadak is a 100,000,000,000,000% upgrade from stupid head.

I like him.

But, and I know this is blasphemous, I don't think Larkin is all that good as a color guy.  It's good when he gives a player's perspective on things, but most of the time he's not doing that.

It's the little things that bug me.  Like the other day they kept showing the Mr. Redlegs mascot out by centerfield seats, and he kept referring to him as "Mr. Red".  Come on, Barry.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, hopefully Larkinn is just getting his legs under him. A couple of times now I’ve felt he was rambling or struggling to get what he wanted to say out

Sometimes the color analyst just needs to learn when to shut up or to save the really long  bits for a better break in the game.

But, he can talk all he wants as long as we are scoring a dozen or so a game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's only 6 games but what is so promising is all the runs being generated not by home runs. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shuke said:

I know it's only 6 games but what is so promising is all the runs being generated not by home runs. 

And the middle of the order is the least productive segment of the lineup right now. If Suarez and Votto start clicking, look out. 
 

It’s early, and I suspect the Pirates may be stunningly bad this season, but not even Amir’s “Raisel in a non-save situation” impression today is going to dampen my optimism at this start.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shuke said:

Probably time to move Votto down the order.

Yeah. He”s hit some balls hard so far, which is an improvement, but the defensive positioning seems to be completely dialed in on him. If he’s got an adjustment left in him maybe he should figure it out from the 7 hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no. We suck again.

Maybe when Gray comes back they can squish a couple of these guys together and let them each pitch 4 innings. They have to work on pitch count efficiency. Bullpen for sure isn’t deep enough for this.

Next guy who walks in a run needs to donate his game check, too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that’s one way to break up a perfect game. Taking one for the team.

 

Also:

New TV guy: “Well hit!”

Reality: 50 feet short of the warning track.

New TV guy: “What are you going to do with that pitch?”

Me, after third time he said it: “ I dunno, maybe swing and  frigging hit it !?!”

Edited by Rustoleum
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 5:57 PM, Rustoleum said:

Well, that’s one way to break up a perfect game. Taking one for the team.

 

Also:

New TV guy: “Well hit!”

Reality: 50 feet short of the warning track.

New TV guy: “What are you going to do with that pitch?”

Me, after third time he said it: “ I dunno, maybe swing and  frigging hit it !?!”

I think announcers in general are not good.  In football, I just turn em off or watch Redzone, but I like to have them on with baseball as I am usually doing something else, and not solely dedicated to the game.  This brings me to my main point, which is, I don't like announcers who's voice raises 19 octaves on a lazy fly ball the center.  If its not something worth turning around and watching, I don't need all the excitement.  

Baseball is boring 90% of the time.  Don't try to make it what its not.  Just my :2cents:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Caesar said:

I think announcers in general are not good.  In football, I just turn em off or watch Redzone, but I like to have them on with baseball as I am usually doing something else, and not solely dedicated to the game.  This brings me to my main point, which is, I don't like announcers who's voice raises 19 octaves on a lazy fly ball the center.  If its not something worth turning around and watching, I don't need all the excitement.  

Baseball is boring 90% of the time.  Don't try to make it what its not.  Just my :2cents:

This new guys is almost as bad as Nuxhall in thinking every warning track hit is a homer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing road trip.  Before they left, I was hoping for at least 3-3.  Would have been happy with that on the west coast, but it wasn't to be.

I guess we will see how they rebound from it coming back home.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, shuke said:

This new guys is almost as bad as Nuxhall in thinking every warning track hit is a homer.

Except Nuxhall was on the radio and 12 year old me with a transistor radio didn’t know any better, so it was cool. Last two games the guy is preoccupied with foul balls coming anywhere near the booth.

Home stand has been fun so far though. Votto should’ve jogged across and tagged third to make that probably the only unassisted triple play by a first baseman.

Previous teams wouldn’t have managed to put a ball in play against that guy In the ninth, much less carve that tying run out of an error, especially after losing trying runs  at the plate and at third earlier.

Fun start to the season so far though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to get your #### together anytime now Amir.

 

And there’s being an aggressive third-base coach and just continually sending runners to their doom at home....

Edited by Rustoleum
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

 

And there’s being an aggressive third-base coach and just continually sending runners to their doom at home....

Missed the play tonight but was at Saturday's game.  Worst call sending someone to home I've ever seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...