What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SUNDAY TICKET (1 Viewer)

Those set-up are pretty sweet. I may have to show one of those to the wife as "The Plan". :P

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys with more than one or two boxes change channels??Doesn't the remote try to control one or two boxes at once?I am sure that some of you have say one box that is "Deluxe" Tivo/DVR or HD but what about the other cheapo models aren't they all the same?
I know Raider sort of answered this already, but here's my thoughts.I too have a large set-up. 8 TV's for sure every week, and I can add the 9th depending on the HD schedule for a specific week.I have the problem of having generic RCA receivers that all respond to the same remote control. Obviously with the setup that Raider, Naked, and I have changing channels isn't really that important and I usually just walk up and change channels on the receiver itself when required.Back in the "bad ole days" when I only had (gasp) 3 or 4 TV's, there were a couple of tricks that came in handy. You can either buy some extra long lengths of coax/RG6, and station your receivers at various points in the room (so you can point the remote towards one wall) and only control one receiver at a time (or even stack them beside your chair and change them by hand). You could also place a piece of black electrical tape over the remote sensor on a box that you don't care about changing, leaving the remote for one to rotate channels on.I'm curious if anyone out there is familiar with any technology in remote controls that would allow you to punch a code in to the remote and dictate what receiver to control with changing everything. I'm looking ahead to the next house with a permanent setup - 9TV's, 9 receivers, etc. and wonder if there's a fix to this problem.

FYI - I JUST (as in two minutes ago) called DirecTV and you may get just the NFL package, for 65 or so per month, for four months (plus 4.99/ extra TV). They will charge you an up front 14.95 fee to get you the equipment and installation for free - up to three rooms - and you may drop to their lowest package after the season. In other words, no year-long committment.Unfortunately, their lowest package is 40 and up (they used to have a "basic" package, comparable ot basic cable, that was less than 20 a month, but that is now gone). And if you want a movie channel, it is somewhere around 55 a month.They also will not allow you to "reconnect" next year just for the NFL season if you decide to simply drop DirecTV after the football season is over (I assume b/c they don't want you taking advantage of their pre-NFL season offers each year).If you are on the fence and have the money, then go for it. It is not quite as restrictive as it used to be, but it is def. more expensive up front (65/month for four months, plus 15 up front = $275) than it used to be - when I joined up for the first time 3 or 4 years ago, I paid 165 up front and got the equipment, installation, plus the NFL package, plus their highest line of programming for four months for free (well, rolled into the 165 for the NFL) - I then had to keep premium service plus a movie channel (at the time it was 45/month) for a year.

I have a question for those of you with DirctTV,is it ABSOLUTLEY necessary to have every reciever hooked to a phone line? Can I just hook up my main HD reciever to a phone line?
The danger about not having that continuous phone line is if DirecTV checks your account and realizes an active receiver hasn't "dumped" lately, they can suspend that receiver (and perhaps your whole account). I had my main receiver unhooked from the phone line (by accident due to a bad phone cord) for about 9 months one time. Once I got it reconnected it dumped all the movies I had rented for that 9 month period and I got whacked with a pretty big bill. I'd say getting shutdown because of the lack of phone connection is not something you want to risk during football season. For my setup, I rotate what receivers are connected to a 3 way phone jack so every receiver is at least connected for a week or two each month. They definitely don't like it when you don't have it connected to the phone line, although I gather it's pretty unlikely they will catch you on it for a short period of time.

I've had DirectTV and the ticket for six years now and it ROCKS!! I haven't gone to the extremes of having 8-9 TV's set up for it so I bounce around a lot. Having 8-9 TV's is cool but how can you really watch much of any one of them.W/ the DirectTV or Dish, any satellite provider really, you need to be VERY careful about the installation. They may offer free "basic" installation but that may not be what you want. Many times that means running the coax the most direct path, which I've seen as being up the OUTSIDE of your house and through the external wall.I installed my equipment when I first got it when I lived in ATL and did all the work myself. It was kind of a pain but thankfully I had a nice space from the basement to the attic so I was able to get the coax run for the bedroom receiver w/o much effort, likewise for the family room TV. In my new house that I had built 3yrs I ago I specifically designed things for satellite TV because I live out in the sticks so no cable and no way I was gonna stop getting the ticket; multiple coax & phone drops in every room, fixed mounting points on the side of the house near the roof line, etc.The only "difficult" part of the installation is peaking the dish on the bird. So long as you have a clear view of the southwest sky you should be fine. I used a toy compass to get mine in the general direction, then the receiver generates a tone that you can turn up really loud and then zero it in for the most signal strength. If you're comfortable peaking the dish you should do the installation yourself. I was an Electronics Tech in the Navy for eight years working in satellite communications so I had a lot of wiring and SATCOM experience so it didn't phase me. At any rate, if I was you I'd be on DirectTV and the Sunday Ticket like a fat boy on a piece a cake!!!

:thumbup: If You enjoy football; it is a MUST. You might want to invest in a TIVO also. I have season tickets to the RAMS games and I set my tivo for the Rams game PLUS another on at the same time. After the sunday night game I can stay up all night and watch the games on my Tivo.Get the package and next year you can get it at a reduce priced. I pay $200.ENJOY :pics:

How do you guys with more than one or two boxes change channels??

Doesn't the remote try to control one or two boxes at once?

I am sure that some of you have say one box that is "Deluxe" Tivo/DVR or HD but what about the other cheapo models aren't they all the same?

RaiderNation it may be easier and cheaper than you think to get something made, I used to work for a place that sold Teak furniture imported from Indonesia. We could get just about any type of TV Amoire made in solid teak or mahogany if you gave 'em the dimenions you wanted and based it off some sort of pre-existing design

ChicTeak
Thanks for the heads up about Chic Teak.Regarding how I change my channels.... I don't. As I said earlier, there are exactly nine games on most Sundays at 1:00. The eight smaller TVs have Hughes receivers dedicated to them. A Sony HD receiver connects to the big screen. So the remote that I use for the Sony will not accidently change the stations on all of the smaller TVs. I know in advance what channel each game will be on, so right before game time I manually punch in the channel I need on each receiver and I'm set for the next 3 hours.

The volume always stays on whichever game is on the big screen. It would drive me crazy trying to listen to nine games at once. Juat watching them is good enough.
First of all, NICE SETUP!! I can't believe I get grief for my four 27" TV's when I'm still in the minor leagues compared to some of you guys. As far as changing channels, I found that limiting the output of the remote through a 'pinhole' taped on the end worked for me as far as controlling which receiver I was changing. However, I do have the receivers a fair distance apart from one another. I also have the audio outputs from the directv receivers going into my stereo receiver so I can switch the sound from one TV to another by simply switching the input source from my stereo remote.

OK FBG here is the deal - I took the plunge and the guy is heading out to my house on the 26th to set up the HD setup I purchased. I want to start off small and have two sets going at once. However, I don't want to have it so that once the season is over that I have to carry the 5$ a month or pay 150$ fee for the second reciver (analog). I was told that I have to now go out and buy my own analog reciver and card so that I can turn it on when the season starts and shut it off without recourse when the season is over. I went out on E-bay and there are hundreds of recvers and cards out there for short money. What do I need to make this work?HELP!!! :confused:

I'm curious if anyone out there is familiar with any technology in remote controls that would allow you to punch a code in to the remote and dictate what receiver to control with changing everything. I'm looking ahead to the next house with a permanent setup - 9TV's, 9 receivers, etc. and wonder if there's a fix to this problem.
This sort-of addresses your problem, but the Sony SAT-HD100 (their 1st generation HD DTV receiver) came with a RF capable remote and the ability to set one of several security codes, in effect "marrying" a specific remote to a specific receiver. You can check it out on page 36 of the HD100's User Manual found here.On-the-spot switching (what you desire) of the code to control another (HD100) receiver by navigating thru the various menus can be a little cumbersome, however. I keep several of the remotes velcroed to a tray, coded and labeled to their appropriate receiver. But then again, I only have 4 receivers/monitors in the room at once, so I'm hardly half-way to RAIDERNATION mecca.BTW, the HD100's also have a VGA output for hi-def video that works pretty well with cheap LCD monitors, themselves light-weight for mounting in groups.-Chris

I have a question for those of you with DirctTV,is it ABSOLUTLEY necessary to have every reciever hooked to a phone line? Can I just hook up my main HD reciever to a phone line?
yes. all you have to do is tell DTV what your phone line situation is, and it's all good. if that means that only 1 of the receivers is plugged in, so be it.i don't have any of my 4 receivers plugged into the phone line, and DTV knows it. i have had The Ticket since 1995. (no land line at my house)

I haven't gone to the extremes of having 8-9 TV's set up for it so I bounce around a lot. Having 8-9 TV's is cool but how can you really watch much of any one of them.
Oh, ye of little faith! ;) With the exception of a two-minute drill and a hurry-up offense, the ball is snapped approximately every 45 seconds (actual time... not game time) in a typical game.

Between penalties, commercial breaks and injuries, there are very few times when more than two games are snapping the ball at the exact same moment. So even though there are nine games on, it's not like all nine games are in sync. Besides, even when two or more games are snapping the ball simultaneously, every TV is directly in my line of sight without even having to move my head. You'd be surprised how much action you can watch at the same time. :thumbup:

To everyone who sent me e-mails or PMs for information on the setup, I'm getting to 'em now. I have a feeling that the divorce rate is about to go up significantly. :football:

i have a 3 tv setup. there's a hierarchy for what game goes where, based on what friend is over and, more accurately, what food and extras they brought me. but the main tv is throught the surround sound and doesn't change except for commercials and under my supervision, at least when the seahawks are on.the other tvs are on mute. they get changed quite a bit although one of the games is usually featured more tha any others. we also have the stattracker for our yahoo league going.i like to watch as much of other games as i can, but i want to see and hear the entire seahawk broadcast, so when it's on, it's on. otherwise we watcha friend's team, a good match up, or a game with FF implications.anything more than 3 tvs is a waste for me, i won't get enough out of it to justify the expense. but a reaaaalllly nice 3 tv set up would be sweet.

i want to get the ticket but i have a question for those that have it.i want to set up more thatn 1 tv in the lr. the other two tv's are upstairs. can i slip the install dude a fin to add two splitters at the lr outlet? i know i'd need to bring the boxes downstairs as well. what i want to avoid is running 120ft of cable from upstairs if i want to watch more than one game in the lr. also, i have bootleg cable set up right now. if i want to keep it, the direct tv doesn't mess with those lines at all does it?thanks all!

i want to set up more thatn 1 tv in the lr. the other two tv's are upstairs. can i slip the install dude a fin to add two splitters at the lr outlet?
You can't use splitters with satellite TV. All feeds must come from a multiswitch. And sat TV will not normally use any existing cable because it's not RG-6 satellite grade quality. But some crappy installers may try to anyway. Easiest thing to do is just install it yourself so it's exactly how you want it.

i want to set up more thatn 1 tv in the lr. the other two tv's are upstairs. can i slip the install dude a fin to add two splitters at the lr outlet?
You can't use splitters with satellite TV. All feeds must come from a multiswitch. And sat TV will not normally use any existing cable because it's not RG-6 satellite grade quality. But some crappy installers may try to anyway. Easiest thing to do is just install it yourself so it's exactly how you want it.
Right the guy that installed it at my house was here for 3 hours most of the time complaining. I have I think around 7 TV's or so throughout the house hooked up 3 in the football room during football season. I have 2 cable outlets in that room and run a cable from the other room in for the 3rd TV. Bit of a pain, but well worth it.I am curious how you guys handle the remote and 3 TV's I setup the 2 outside TV's to change on auxilary and the middle TV on DirecTV this cuts down on accidental channel changes, is there a better way out there?

OK FBG here is the deal - I took the plunge and the guy is heading out to my house on the 26th to set up the HD setup I purchased. I want to start off small and have two sets going at once. However, I don't want to have it so that once the season is over that I have to carry the 5$ a month or pay 150$ fee for the second reciver (analog). I was told that I have to now go out and buy my own analog reciver and card so that I can turn it on when the season starts and shut it off without recourse when the season is over. I went out on E-bay and there are hundreds of recvers and cards out there for short money. What do I need to make this work?HELP!!! :confused:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm unclear on what's confusing you. What you were told is correct. Just run down to Radio Shack or Best Buy and purchase a non-high definition (i.e., analog) receiver. Hook it up to the second TV, and you are all set. After the season, simply deactivate the receiver you are about to purchase. What am I missing? :mellow:

I'm unclear on what's confusing you. What you were told is correct. Just run down to Radio Shack or Best Buy and purchase a non-high definition (i.e., analog) receiver. Hook it up to the second TV, and you are all set. After the season, simply deactivate the receiver you are about to purchase. What am I missing? :mellow:
I also think the point is that you could get a "free" one if you commit to 1 year programming. Once your year is up, I think you can just have them activated/deactivated at will. (Hope that's the case, anyway).

OK FBG here is the deal - I took the plunge and the guy is heading out to my house on the 26th to set up the HD setup I purchased.  I want to start off small and have two sets going at once.  However, I don't want to have it so that once the season is over that I have to carry the 5$ a month or pay 150$ fee for the second reciver (analog).  I was told that I have to now go out and buy my own analog reciver and card so that I can turn it on when the season starts and shut it off without recourse when the season is over.  I went out on E-bay and there are hundreds of recvers and cards out there for short money.  What do I need to make this work?HELP!!!  :confused:
Sorry i guess I was not specific. In terms of the reciver, it sounds like any one will work and there is not one that is better then another. Is this true? Most seem to go on ebay for 10$Also - If I buy one used, what cards should i get with it? Or does direct tv send you a new card when you turn it on? I guess the card aspect has me a little confused.Also - just to clear things up, I only want to commit to one system for the whole year. I will pay the extra 5$ a month during the season but I don't want to have to continue to do so afterwards.

i know you can't use a splitter. i guess what i'm after is a break in the lines in the lr wall. where i can just unhook the upstairs tv's at that point & run the lines right into the lr.is this making sense & is it possible?and as far as installing it myself, do i do everything from putting the dish up to plugging it into my tv. or do they run the lines into the house & i take it from there?thanks again!

OK FBG here is the deal - I took the plunge and the guy is heading out to my house on the 26th to set up the HD setup I purchased.  I want to start off small and have two sets going at once.  However, I don't want to have it so that once the season is over that I have to carry the 5$ a month or pay 150$ fee for the second reciver (analog).  I was told that I have to now go out and buy my own analog reciver and card so that I can turn it on when the season starts and shut it off without recourse when the season is over.  I went out on E-bay and there are hundreds of recvers and cards out there for short money.  What do I need to make this work?HELP!!!  :confused:
Sorry i guess I was not specific. In terms of the reciver, it sounds like any one will work and there is not one that is better then another. Is this true? Most seem to go on ebay for 10$Also - If I buy one used, what cards should i get with it? Or does direct tv send you a new card when you turn it on? I guess the card aspect has me a little confused.Also - just to clear things up, I only want to commit to one system for the whole year. I will pay the extra 5$ a month during the season but I don't want to have to continue to do so afterwards.
if you buy a used receiver (with or without an access card card), directv will most likely require you to buy an access card from them for $20. it's possible that they'll activate a used "P4" card, so if you are getting a card with your purchase, make sure it's a P4. i believe that you'll have to buy one from DTV, though. they'll fedex the card to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. all you have to do is tell DTV what your phone line situation is, and it's all good. if that means that only 1 of the receivers is plugged in, so be it.i don't have any of my 4 receivers plugged into the phone line, and DTV knows it. i have had The Ticket since 1995. (no land line at my house)
Thanks for that info. I e-mailed Expert Satellite and asked them about the phone lines,they told me that it was not necessary for every reciever to be hooked to a phone line. In their words it would be "no problem". We'll find out on Friday.

The danger about not having that continuous phone line is if DirecTV checks your account and realizes an active receiver hasn't "dumped" lately, they can suspend that receiver (and perhaps your whole account). I had my main receiver unhooked from the phone line (by accident due to a bad phone cord) for about 9 months one time. Once I got it reconnected it dumped all the movies I had rented for that 9 month period and I got whacked with a pretty big bill. I'd say getting shutdown because of the lack of phone connection is not something you want to risk during football season. For my setup, I rotate what receivers are connected to a 3 way phone jack so every receiver is at least connected for a week or two each month. They definitely don't like it when you don't have it connected to the phone line, although I gather it's pretty unlikely they will catch you on it for a short period of time.
Sorry,I'm pretty illiterate on this stuff. What do you mean by "dumping"?

Sorry,I'm illiterate on this stuff,what do you mean by "dumping"?

Everytime you make a pay-per-view purchase (ordering something with your remote directly from the receiver) it records that data on the card inside your receiver. The phone line connection is so the receiver can dial up to DirecTV and will "dump" the data from your card so they can see what you have purchased. If you don't have a receiver connected to a phone line, there is no way for DirecTV to know if you have purchased anything with your remote. After a while, if they notice no "dump" from a card, they can (and will) stop the feed. If you don't have a land based phone line - you can't order anything from your remote, you have to call to order pay per view so they can charge your account.

Thanks for that info. I e-mailed Expert Satellite and asked them about the phone lines,they told me that it was not necessary for every reciever to be hooked to a phone line. In their words it would be "no problem". We'll find out on Friday.
This surprises me.

Everytime you make a pay-per-view purchase (ordering something with your remote directly from the receiver) it records that data on the card inside your receiver. The phone line connection is so the receiver can dial up to DirecTV and will "dump" the data from your card so they can see what you have purchased. If you don't have a receiver connected to a phone line, there is no way for DirecTV to know if you have purchased anything with your remote. After a while, if they notice no "dump" from a card, they can (and will) stop the feed. If you don't have a land based phone line - you can't order anything from your remote, you have to call to order pay per view so they can charge your account.
Correct me if I'm wrong then,if I am hooked up to a phone line but never order any PPV,there would be nothing to dump,your saying my service would be shut off? I've never ordered PPV with my current cable provider,chances are I wouldn't with a SAT either. I'm getting conflicting info,some on thid board and some friends and the installer are saying not being hooked to phone line is no problem,others are saying it could lead to "trouble". I'm getting more confused. :wall:

I was told that I have to now go out and buy my own analog reciver and card so that I can turn it on when the season starts and shut it off without recourse when the season is over.  I went out on E-bay and there are hundreds of recvers and cards out there for short money.  What do I need to make this work?Hook it up to the second TV, and you are all set. After the season, simply deactivate the receiver you are about to purchase. What am I missing? Also - If I buy one used, what cards should i get with it? Or does direct tv send you a new card when you turn it on? I guess the card aspect has me a little confused.if you buy a used receiver (with or without an access card card), directv will most likely require you to buy an access card from them for $20. it's possible that they'll activate a used "P4" card, so if you are getting a card with your purchase, make sure it's a P4. i believe that you'll have to buy one from DTV, though. they'll fedex the card to you.
All of the extra non HD receivers I've purchased have been from friends who have dropped DirecTV. DirecTV has required me to purchase new cards when transferring those receivers to my name, and I agree the price per card was around $20.I leave 2 of my 6 active all year, and only activate the extra 4 for football and during the NCAA tourney. I never have any trouble getting them activated or turned off. If you are going to activate extra receivers, I recommend you do that at least a week before in case they force you to purchase a new card (for a new receiver), or swap out an existing card. Two years ago I got new cards two days before the season started and I was anxious that I wouldn't get them in time.

I'm getting conflicting info,some on thid board and some friends and the installer are saying not being hooked to phone line is no problem,others are saying it could lead to "trouble". I'm getting more confused.
I've said all along, there is *possibility* they could shut you down, although the chances are probably slim. I just don't see the harm in occasionally hooking to a phone line so you don't find out the hard way one Sunday at 1:00.

I'm getting conflicting info,some on thid board and some friends and the installer are saying not being hooked to phone line is no problem,others are saying it could lead to "trouble". I'm getting more confused.
I've said all along, there is *possibility* they could shut you down, although the chances are probably slim. I just don't see the harm in occasionally hooking to a phone line so you don't find out the hard way one Sunday at 1:00.
O.K. I think I got you now.

Correct me if I'm wrong then,if I am hooked up to a phone line but never order any PPV,there would be nothing to dump,your saying my service would be shut off? I've never ordered PPV with my current cable provider,chances are I wouldn't with a SAT either. I'm getting conflicting info,some on thid board and some friends and the installer are saying not being hooked to phone line is no problem,others are saying it could lead to "trouble". I'm getting more confused. :wall:
even if you have nothing to dump, it can still verify that there's a connection and not terminate your service.that said, my receivers were not connected for over a year. now i have tivo which is, but my other 2 receivers haven't been hooked up to a phone line since 2 weeks after i got them. even after i moved, i never hooked them up. and i have never had any type of service interruption. it's hit and miss i guess.

even if you have nothing to dump, it can still verify that there's a connection and not terminate your service.that said, my receivers were not connected for over a year. now i have tivo which is, but my other 2 receivers haven't been hooked up to a phone line since 2 weeks after i got them. even after i moved, i never hooked them up. and i have never had any type of service interruption. it's hit and miss i guess.
So if only one reciever is connected,even if it's not the main HD one,say it's a reciever in one of the bedrooms,is that enough to verify service so there is no interuption?

So if only one reciever is connected,even if it's not the main HD one,say it's a reciever in one of the bedrooms,is that enough to verify service so there is no interuption?
i can't answer that for you. i can tell you that for a year i had 2 receivers and neither were connected. then i moved and had 2 receivers, un-connected. then i got tivo and still had the 2 regular boxes unconnected. now i have 1 receiver unconnected (the other i deactivated until football season starts) and the tivo which is. zero problems. and i know i have some stuff to dump one of those receivers, so the chances i ever connet that one is slim.

I have had D-TV for about two years now and have never had either of my two receivers hooked to a phone line. I am not a big PPV guy, but I did have Sunday Ticket last year and never had any issues regarding the phone line.

Just throwing this in here (don't know if I should start a new topic in the FFA fourm):

In Toronto (and I assume other areas Rogers serves in Canada) you can get Sunday Ticket for $169 for the season. However, you can save some bucks by getting the "Super Sports Pack" for $25 per month which has all baseball, football, and hockey games. The minimum committment is 4 months, which makes it $100 for the entire football season (Sept - Dec).

However - this automatically renews at the end of the 4 months, and for a second 4 month term, so if you don't want to stay hooked up for hockey only, you must cancell at the end of December.

$100 for NFL Sunday Ticket? Now that's cheap! Oh - and this is Canadian dollars, so that's only about $75 US.

Sometimes being in Canada IS good!
It may even wind up being cheaper, since Rogers may be forced to refund some of the money if there is no hockey season.But just so I'm clear, are you saying that if I sign up to the sports-pack in mid-August, I'll have to either cancell in mid-December or renew for another four months automatically?

My opinion of the Ticket has not changed since I posted in this thread earlier this week, but my opinion of DirecTV has definitely taken a downturn:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...showtopic=94346Just an FYI for anyone considering DirecTV.
I guess beauty,or in this case ugly,is in the eye of the beholder. I can give you a dozen reasons why I'm switching from cable to Directtv and most of it has to do with customer service. I think that's true in most businesses today,customer SERVICE is a joke,for whatever reasons(poor training,companies are so big they can't handle their business,whatever) I'm sure we've all had lousy service at one time or another,I can feel your pain my friend,only mine has been a pain in the cable. To each his own.

I'm a true believer in both the Ticket (5 yrs and counting) and Directv, however there is one football drawback that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread: Delay. There is a delay of several seconds between when a cable viewer and a satellite viewer sees a play (due, I assume, to signal traveling to and from the satellite?). Does this really matter? Most of the time, no. But when I'm bantering with a league rival on the phone, and he's got cable, there is a noticable time delay in the action on the field. Sort of irritating.My worst experience with delay: January 19, 2002, AFC Divisional Playoffs. As a lifelong Raider fan, I had a bet with my leagues' arch-nemesis, a Patriots fan. After the Raiders recovered Brady's fumble and clinched the win, I got a phone call to concede the game. Midway through his concession, however, he stopped: "Nevermind!" and hung up. I stared at the screen wondering what he'd seen to change his mind. After a few painful seconds... Walt Coleman explaining the tuck rule. :rant: But would I consider giving up the Ticket? Heck no! I've twice picked out apartments based on their clear view of the southern sky! :thumbup:

I'm a true believer in both the Ticket (5 yrs and counting) and Directv, however there is one football drawback that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread: Delay. There is a delay of several seconds between when a cable viewer and a satellite viewer sees a play (due, I assume, to signal traveling to and from the satellite?). Does this really matter? Most of the time, no. But when I'm bantering with a league rival on the phone, and he's got cable, there is a noticable time delay in the action on the field. Sort of irritating.My worst experience with delay: January 19, 2002, AFC Divisional Playoffs. As a lifelong Raider fan, I had a bet with my leagues' arch-nemesis, a Patriots fan. After the Raiders recovered Brady's fumble and clinched the win, I got a phone call to concede the game. Midway through his concession, however, he stopped: "Nevermind!" and hung up. I stared at the screen wondering what he'd seen to change his mind. After a few painful seconds... Walt Coleman explaining the tuck rule. :rant: But would I consider giving up the Ticket? Heck no! I've twice picked out apartments based on their clear view of the southern sky! :thumbup:
i went to a seahawks game a few years ago, and the people i hooked up with had THE best tailgate setup i ever saw. they had a couple of canopies and an SUV backed up to them. they had a directv dish and a generator, with the black box to get the ticket. i don't really want to get into the food and booze they had, but suffice it to say it was plentiful. the dish BTW worked perfectly in the pouring rain. anyways, everyone was trashed and some guys didn't want to go inside since there was no rain cover (when they played at U if W). so they sat under the canopies watching porn on the directv, and when the crowd cheered or groaned, with the delay, they had time to switch it to the game and see the play the crowd was reacting to. sort of using the delay to their advantage. just thought i'd share.

To drop some more experience in this thread.-The Directivo needs a phone line once on initial hookup and then you'll just get these annoying messages saying it needs to hook up to a phone line but it still functions fine. I have no land line in my apt so I took my directivo to my buddy's(who doesn't have satellite) hooked it up to his phone line, let it do it's thing and then it never touched a phone line again-You can activate receivers on directv's website. I activate a bunch every sunday morning and then call up and deactivate them all sunday night since I don't use them during the week, saves a bunch of money but it is a pain in the butt.-The ticket is worth every penny, I'm single and I play football sunday mornings with friends, get home around noon and don't get up till around midnight. Just Awesome.

Just had my DirecTV installed this afternoon. Installer knew nothing. He spent 4 hours trying to connect through my phone line. He ended up leaving saying he could not get it connected. I was at work, at the time, for some reason he unconnected my DSL filter and was trying to get through. When I got home I reconnected my DSL Filter and got right through. However, I have no idea if I have updated all my features. Right now I'm showing an NFL Package highlights on one page, If I have updated my NFL package correctly what would it show?Don't know if I made any sense there, but any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have know idea how the TIVO or NFL Package works.

Just had my DirecTV installed this afternoon. Installer knew nothing. He spent 4 hours trying to connect through my phone line. He ended up leaving saying he could not get it connected. I was at work, at the time, for some reason he unconnected my DSL filter and was trying to get through. When I got home I reconnected my DSL Filter and got right through. However, I have no idea if I have updated all my features. Right now I'm showing an NFL Package highlights on one page, If I have updated my NFL package correctly what would it show?Don't know if I made any sense there, but any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have know idea how the TIVO or NFL Package works.
Log into your account online and you'll see what packages you have including Sunday Ticket. If it's not right, call (or you can change it online if you wish) but if you are supposed to get a special deal and you aren't, then you'll need to call.On the Tivo side, so long as it's working you are just fine. It will update itself if needed when there are new software versions. There has been a recent update so it will download and install it on it's own within the next couple calls it makes. You don't need to do anything but enjoy your programs.

O.k. it's done. The installers just left,3 hours from start to finish but it was hot out and they kept coming in to take a water break. Signed up for the ticket. I can't believe I'm watching a replay of the Bills-Broncos. I'll give it a year and see what happens. The Hi-def reception is excellent,some of the normal stations seem a little off to me but I may need to adjust my TV,the local channels are fine. Thanks to all the football who responded. :popcorn:

Just had mine installed today as well, in large part thanks to the testimonials in this thread. I'm ready for a new year. Thanks for the info guys!

Just had mine installed today as well, in large part thanks to the testimonials in this thread. I'm ready for a new year. Thanks for the info guys!
What kind of deal did anyone who recently signed up get? I know about the NFL ticket package. I would like to get the free TIVO and the ticket deal together. Which satellite service has the best deals right now? Thanks.

Ok here is also something to think about. This will be the last year the you can just get the NFL Sunday Ticket by it self. Goiing forward you will be required to have a DirectTV regular TV package in order to get it. :angry:

Mik-Get it for the 4 months. You'll get every channel they have. Cancel the premier services and keep just the channels you want (everyone has done it and direct tv doesn't care). She'll get all those girly movies on Showtime and Starz. Oh, and you'll also get all the local fox sports shows for post game feedback.The only draw back, is you'll never watch an entire football game again! But the fellas will always be over, so the lady will usually split on sundays or make you the grub. Good times!

Users who are viewing this thread