What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ogun for Booker + 3rd (1 Viewer)

Interesting to see that the Deal hinges on Chicago getting Ogunleye signed to a Contract by 7:00 PM EST tonight. That's within the next 3 hours. This could easily fall apart, and be nothing.
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. That seems odd.
Maybe Miami has a back-up deal waiting in the wings?

Man... all those rumors involving Ogun, and THIS is what Miami settles for? Booker is serviceable and helps plug the hole left by Boston some, and I understand that Ogun was ready to sit out the season which means he had little value left for the Dolphins. But still.... guess none of those rumors that were flying around for weeks were even close to being true. Cause I liked some of the trade rumors more than this trade. I think da Bears are getting a great deal if they can come to terms with Ogun.

A couple of points.1) One reason it hurts Booker's value is that WRs can't go from one team to another three weeks into August and just pick up where they left off, not with a new QB, system, terminology, etc.2) Don't be surprised if Miami turns that 3rd round pick into another trade for a RB. With CBuck going down in Philly, Miami may feel compelled to accelerate a deal for someone who is on their radar before they end up in competition with the Eagles.
Couch Potato,I would like to personally thank you for dropping Terrell in Misfits III dynasty league allowing me to snatch him up for nothing.Yours truly,CHEESEHEAD
And I'd like to personally "thank" that shmuck Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune who said the Bears were on the verge of releasing him on June 1. Back when I cut Terrell in late May, he looked like a waste of roster space."The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports the Chicago Bears have dropped David Terrell down to at least third on the depth chart. Terrell has done little to improve his chances of being a starter during recent minicamps, and might be released altogether after June 1. Second-year wide receiver Justin Gage appears to be the favorite to start alongside Marty Booker, and could become a good sleeper candidate in head coach Lovie Smith's offense."CBS Sportsline

A couple of points.1) One reason it hurts Booker's value is that WRs can't go from one team to another three weeks into August and just pick up where they left off, not with a new QB, system, terminology, etc.2) Don't be surprised if Miami turns that 3rd round pick into another trade for a  RB.  With CBuck going down in Philly, Miami may feel compelled to accelerate a deal for someone who is on their radar before they end up in competition with the Eagles.
Couch Potato,I would like to personally thank you for dropping Terrell in Misfits III dynasty league allowing me to snatch him up for nothing.Yours truly,CHEESEHEAD
And I'd like to personally "thank" that shmuck Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune who said the Bears were on the verge of releasing him on June 1.
Jeff Duncan = Great guy in my book :thumbup: Terrell could easily end up sucking, but he's a nice low risk/high reward type to have at the end of a dynasty bench.

(Sorry if this has already been posted)

Not likely to happen

Despite a conditional trade agreement that would send Dolphins holdout defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to Chicago, and land Bears standout wide receiver Marty Booker in Miami, it appeared late Saturday afternoon that both high-profile players will stay put.

The deal, aimed at filling huge holes for both teams, is conditional upon the Bears being able to reach a contract accord with Ogunleye, the leading sacker in the AFC in 2003, by 7 p.m. ET on Saturday. And the agent for Ogunleye told ESPN.com that he is "very pessimistic" about being able to strike a deal so quickly.

"The money [being offered by the Bears]," agent Drew Rosenhaus said, "just isn't there. I can't, in good conscience, do this deal. I'm still convinced that there are better deals out there for 'Wale.' And as he indicated earlier this week, he is willing to sit, and he is very serious about that, until he gets the [contract] he wants."

It is believed the Bears offered only about $4 million in bonuses, and Ogunleye has been seeking a deal that would roughly triple that in upfront money. Having negotiated the eight-year, $66 million that unrestricted free agent Jevon Kearse signed with Philadelphia this spring, which included a $16 million signing bonus, Rosenhaus has a demonstrated knowledge of the market at the position.

Assuming the conditional swap with the Bears falls through, the mere fact that Miami had opted to trade Ogunleye is a huge plus for the three-year veteran end, who posted 15 sacks in 2003. It sends a signal to the rest of the NFL, and certainly to potential suitors, that the Dolphins would swap one of their top defenders in order to fill offensive needs created by the retirement of Ricky Williams and the season-ending knee injury suffered by wide receiver David Boston two weeks ago.

It also indicates that the Bears, who casually pursued Ogunleye during the restricted free agent signing period earlier this spring, are concerned about their lack of a pass rush.

In addition to Booker, the Bears "lead" receiver, Chicago would have sent the Dolphins a third-round pick in the 2005 draft as part of the trade package. Booker, 28, is a five-year veteran who has 249 receptions, 2,975 yards and 18 touchdowns in the last three seasons.

He had a combined 197 catches in 2001-2002, and went over the 1,000-yard mark each of those seasons. His receptions fell to 52 in 2003, when he was limited by injuries to 13 appearances, but the former Northeast Louisiana star is still regarded leaguewide as a quality playmaker.

Booker doesn't provide the speed dimension that Boston would have for Miami, but he certainly would have been an excellent replacement.

The Dolphins made Ogunleye the high-level qualifying offer for a restricted free agent in the offseason. When he declined to sign that, the team, as was its preogative, reduced that one-year offer to $455,000 in mid-April. Ogunleye had a base salary of $375,000 in '03.

Ogunleye, 26, became a starter in 2002 and has 24½ sacks the last two seasons.

You can bump this back in January...Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, BUTBiggest value change of this trade? Desmond Clark.He shoots through the roof, probably into my top 5 (ahead of Crumpler).

Booker is a better WR than David Boston so he would at least be where Boston was ranked (not sure where that was). He has already been beaten down in the rankings and is still a good 25-30 WR because is a very good route runner with good hands.

Biggest value change of this trade? Desmond Clark.He shoots through the roof, probably into my top 5 (ahead of Crumpler).
Good call, Chase. Thought I read he had some injury issues recently. Can anyone confirm/deny?

The Bears:No QB, WR (without booker) are bums (Terell is a clown), their defense will be on the field the entire first half, so watch for the 2nd half blow outs again this year.Could they be the worse team in football? Arizona and Chargers are pretty bad, but why would you trade away Booker!?! The only offensive player worth a damn on that team :cry:

The Bears:No QB, WR (without booker) are bums (Terell is a clown), their defense will be on the field the entire first half, so watch for the 2nd half blow outs again this year.Could they be the worse team in football? Arizona and Chargers are pretty bad, but why would you trade away Booker!?! The only offensive player worth a damn on that team :cry:
Actually, I would think the addition of Ogun would have seriously upgraded their defense. If they continued to work on it, they could followed the Ravens' model - top defense/little-to-no offense. Hey, it won them a championship. Da Bears have a history of having tough defenses. Why not? ;)

You can bump this back in January...Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, BUTBiggest value change of this trade? Desmond Clark.He shoots through the roof, probably into my top 5 (ahead of Crumpler).
Agree. Gage and Terrell both have great physical skills but are unproven. Clark is the guy you can trust to make the tough 3rd down catches. I think he catches at least 60 passes if this goes through.

It is believed the Bears offered only about $4 million in bonuses, and Ogunleye has been seeking a deal that would roughly triple that in upfront money.
Why would the Bears make this contingent trade, knowing his demands, and then completelylowball him with a $4M bonus. Just to get Booker P.O.'d?? Makes no sense at all.

Just let that ink dry before 7 baby! Wow, this is something. Terrell has been looking good (Crossing fingers) enough to knock Gage down a notch. Just wish the departing party WAS Terrell.As far as becoming the #2 in Miami, don't discount Bookers prowess, as Chambers isn't exactly a top 10 WR himself.Chicago's D will definately step up quite a bit. Remember (Not to long ago) how they finished off last year. Yeah, yeah, yeah new system for sure, but talent is important and Chicago will have it now.As for Grossman, I don't drop him any. For me, I upgrade him, as now he will be playing with guys that he practiced with AND developed chemistry with last year.Gage and Terrell????? This will be interesting.

The time limit has been changed to 8:30 ET. Link

The deal, however, is dependent upon the Bears reaching a contract agreement with Ogunleye by 8:30 p.m. ET Saturday. If no deal is reached by then, the trade would not be complete.

Let's keep in mind that this isn't a done deal yet - according to reports here in Chicago, the Bears have until 12:00 PM to strike a deal.The Bears have a lot of pressure to get something done now. If they don't get a deal done, they have a black eye for not working out the money side before Drew Rosenhaus leaked it. Plus, you could have a sore ego in Marty Booker.Justin Gage is the one WR who could have star potential based on all the things I read (Tribune, SunTimes, DailyHerald), talk radio, and seeing a day of camp myself. Bobby Wade also has a bright future, but Terrell and Gage would be the top WR's, with Wade playing a lot in 3 WR's sets. A lot of potential, but not a lot of production to this point. Wade and Gage both showed quite a bit late last season when they got the playing time.

I now have no reason whatsoever to look at the Bears on draft day.~Bang
That's sad, but mostly true.Thomas Jones is the one player who should get some consistent production, but even that isn't guaranteed with Anthony Thomas stealing some carries.I'm sure one of those WR's would emerge, but currently it's probably just a guess as to which one.

I think a tip off will be if/how much Booker plays tonite. I don't think CHI will risk a injury to Booker if the deal is still alive. If he gets benched early, I mean REAL early, in favor of Terrell and Gage the deal is still in the works. IMHOAs a Booker owner in a couple of leagues,,,,,,,,,,I'm in no big hurry to see it happen.

The only way you will see a decent bear team is to do the Wayne's World dodal dodala dodala flash back thing to 1985.

I think a tip off will be if/how much Booker plays tonite. I don't think CHI will risk a injury to Booker if the deal is still alive. If he gets benched early, I mean REAL early, in favor of Terrell and Gage the deal is still in the works. IMHOAs a Booker owner in a couple of leagues,,,,,,,,,,I'm in no big hurry to see it happen.
Why on Earth would the Bears play Booker? If he got hurt, it would have been epically foolish on the Bears part.

Looks like they have extended the the time limit again. Fox Sports

The deal was dependent upon the Bears reaching a contract agreement with Ogunleye by 8:30 p.m. ET Saturday, but that deadline has been extended and negotiations continue.

Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman confirmed to FOXSports.com that a deal is pending but was not sure if a contract agreement would be reached in time.

They just reported on the Bears Pre-Season Game, it's a straight up deal (maybe they neglected to report the 3rd rounder part):Marty Booker for O-GunGood deal for both teams if you ask me.The Dolphins get a solid locker room guy and a guy that has made the pro-bowl and is capable of making more.The Bears get a guy who wants to make WAY too much money for padding his sack numbers playing opposite Jason Taylor.The Bears need to put more pressure on the QB with the front four and Booker wasn't a good fit for Terry Shea's offense, so I'm OK with the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Grid, use your connections and get us an update on how the negotiations are going. :D

Dolphins, Bears complete trade for Ogunleye, BookerBy Alex Marvez Sun-Sentinel Posted August 21 2004, 10:08 PM EDT MIAMI -- The Dolphins and Bears have completed a trade that would send defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to the Chicago Bears for wide receiver Marty Booker and a 2005 third-round draft choice.The deal is contingent upon Ogunleye passing a Bears physical, which isn't expected to be a problem. An NFL source said Ogunleye is slated to sign a six-year, $33 million contract that will pay him $20 million in the first three seasons. Ogunleye led the AFC in sacks last season with 15, but the Dolphins were unable to make progress in signing him to a contract extension during the offseason. Ogunleye was engaged in a lengthy contract holdout, prompting the Dolphins earlier this week to seek a trade.Booker was one of the NFL's most productive receivers in 2001 and 2002, catching a combined total of 197 passes for 2,260 yards and 10 touchdowns. Booker had 52 catches for 715 yards last season and missed three games because of injuries.The Dolphins were interested in acquiring Booker in light of the season-ending injuries suffered by David Boston (knee) and Kendall Newson (Achilles' tendon).

Just reports on ABC that its done. 6 year/36 million with a 15 million signing bonus.

Bump David Terrell WAY up on your cheat sheets folks........and Bobby Wade will be a pretty sweet LATE sleeper.
So whats the depth chart look like now Grid? Whose their #1? Terrell?Do you think this hurts TJ's value at all? Booker was an 80+ catch guy that could keep the chains moving...

Gotta like this for Bernard Berrian's prospects in the next few years for dynasty leagues. With Booker out of Chi-town, they're relying on a rather unproven group of WRs in Terrell/Gage/Wade. Gage should be the immediate benefactor of Booker's departure, as he might have been out of a starting job with Terrell's emergence as a viable target and Booker entrenched as the #1.

Ill always sacrifice offense for defense, so Im ok with this deal.Just hard to see one of my favorites go in Booker. Shame, just because he didnt fit in with the new regime. New regime.....pffff

$15 million dollar signing bonus(I know 5 is a roster). 6 years $36 million dollars. Wow. He had better be the real deal. I personally didn't want him for Minnesota but admire Chicago's management for trying to win.Marty Booker is a class act. If there is a 3rd involved it may go to Cleveland for James Jackson.

How many sacks is Ogunleye capable of in Chicago?
Gridiron Assassin, you know the Bears' defensive scheme, so what do you think of the above question?
Its supposed to maximize the outside rushers, speed rushers, so it should lead to lots of sacks. But, Id be surprised if Haynes and Brown didnt rotate with Ogunleye.

But, Id be surprised if Haynes and Brown didnt rotate with Ogunleye.
Ogunleye is a 3-down DE. I just can't see Lovie Smith not getting every cent's worth out of Ogunleye. I think it's more likely Ogunleye solidifies the RDE spot and Haynes/Brown rotate at LDE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, somebody that's living in LAST YEAR.Rex Grossman has looked VERY good this preseason.David Terrell has turned his act around and been the consumate professional this offseason.Their O-Line is much better than last year with the addition of John Tait and Ruben Brown....and Thomas Jones not only has hands made out of velcro, he can take the ball to the endzone on any given play.Marty Booker was a bad fit for Terry Shea's offensive system, and Rex Grossman NEVER had any chemistry built with the guy.A good trade for both teams.

Users who are viewing this thread