What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers/Eagles TONIGHT (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin72

Footballguy
Does anyone know what the plan is for tonight as far as how much time players are going to get? I know Cowher has said that Staley will start the game, but I am wondering how much he'll play, how much of Maddox/Roethlisberger we'll see, etc... Will the starters play most of the first half like last week, or will they be sitting? I think typically the third preseason game is the one the first-teamers usually see the most time in, no?

I think it depends on how they're looking. So far, the offense has looked very, very good. The plan last week was for the 1st team to be playing into the middle of the 2nd quarter, but two straight good looking TD drives brought Roethlisberger into the game earlier than expected, and the defense wasn't really being tested much by the Texans' offense. I think they might try and give Dante Brown and/or Verron Haynes some looks with the first team to see how they do, also. Some backups will be sprinkled in to give them playing time against/with starters.

From what I have heard, they plan on keeping the starters in for the hole 1st half. Maybe sprinkle in a few players they want to get some looks at here and there as well though. It seems every time I turn on the news or radio I hear the words: "Steelers face biggest test" in there somewhere. I'm sorry but the Steelers biggest test will come Sept 12th vs. Oak.

Ive got Pittsburgh +3 tonight, i hope they play their starters into the 3rd quarter.
Betting on preseason is the gambling equivalent of drinking 5 martinis at lunch. And i love the Steelers at +3.

From what I have heard, they plan on keeping the starters in for the hole 1st half. Maybe sprinkle in a few players they want to get some looks at here and there as well though. It seems every time I turn on the news or radio I hear the words: "Steelers face biggest test" in there somewhere. I'm sorry but the Steelers biggest test will come Sept 12th vs. Oak.
HAHAHAHA. Face their biggest test yet? It's friggin' pre-season. I guess they're simply implying the obvious - that Philly is much better than Detroit or Houston, but come on. Too funny.....

Cowher said he wants the starters to play maybe the first half. This will probably be their "big" game as far as playing time goes, then back off next week. From the other day's Post Gazette:

The starters will play no more than two quarters Thursday in Philadelphia, and some might not even play that long."We'll count the snaps and give them a half, if need be," Cowher said. "We pretty much cut it short the other night because of circumstance, but we're looking at a half."Among the circumstances were the inordinate number of plays in the first half as the Steelers scored 24 points, and the way his first units played. There was a time Cowher's first team would play into the third quarter in the third exhibition game."I feel like a full half at this point is important," Cowher said. "I want them to get [used] to playing. At the same time, I'm not so much worried about injuries, but we need to evaluate some of the other guys."
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowher said he wants the starters to play the first half. This will probably be their "big" game as far as playing time goes, then back off next week.
Thats the way I understand it as well.

Pat Summerall- "Last year the Steelers didn't win back to back games since 1969. Of course, Cowher wasn't the coach of the Steelers back then."

Thank you Pat!

Last edited:
Duce is tearing apart the Philly Defence
A guy in my league has Duce on the trading block. Can someone talk me out of offering KJones. I know it's preseason, and Philly is banged up at LB, but the Pittsburgh offense is clicking.

Pat Summerall- "Last year the Steelers didn't win back to back games since 1969. Of course, Cowher wasn't the coach of the Steelers back then."

Thank you Pat!
Pat was calling those games back in '69, wasn't he?

Thank you Pat!
Pat was calling those games back in '69, wasn't he?
Yeah, he was just starting to get senile then.

Guys that I have no clue how to rank:Barber, Westbrook, Staley, Brown, K Jones, T JonesAny of them could blow up. I am pretty sure I'll be able to get one of them as my #3 RB. I just need to figure out which one.

It's not fair to have Chad Scott covering Terrell Owens.I'm LOVING the way the offensive line is looking for the Steelers. Well, at least the left side of it. Duce is 10X as good as Bettis is at this point, and he'll be featured in this offense.Eventually people will start catching onto the fact that if the OL gives Maddox time, Burress will be the same guy he was in 2002. He's had a tremendous camp and preseason.

Guys that I have no clue how to rank:Barber, Westbrook, Staley, Brown, K Jones, T JonesAny of them could blow up. I am pretty sure I'll be able to get one of them as my #3 RB. I just need to figure out which one.
If we're playing "which one of these RBs doesn't belong?" then I gotta point out Barber.

If we're playing "which one of these RBs doesn't belong?" then I gotta point out Barber.
Yeah, I'd agree. I threw in Barber because I'm in a keeper league and I'm not sure if I'd rather go with Barber or a guy like Brown as my keeper. I've got to think a few years ahead here.

CBrown first ....Staley or KJones or TJones Next ... Westbrook .... Tiki.IMO

Somebody needs to call the Pitt sideline and tell them to watch out for #81 in the white uni! It just MIGHT be a good idea to put somebody (or bodies) on him. Just a thought...

Eventually people will start catching onto the fact that if the OL gives Maddox time, Burress will be the same guy he was in 2002. He's had a tremendous camp and preseason.
Good to know.I must have missed this, where's Westbrook tonight?

Eventually people will start catching onto the fact that if the OL gives Maddox time, Burress will be the same guy he was in 2002. He's had a tremendous camp and preseason.
Think I read they're going to rest westbrook and sort out who'll be buckys replacement.

TO didn't even get a look that driveWTF
NFL.com said "1-10-PIT 41 (5:52) D.McNabb pass to T.Owens for 41 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on PHI-T.Thomas, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 41 - No Play."

Eventually people will start catching onto the fact that if the OL gives Maddox time, Burress will be the same guy he was in 2002.  He's had a  tremendous camp and preseason.
Think I read they're going to rest westbrook and sort out who'll be buckys replacement.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread