What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Entrepreneur Guys 2.0: The Side Gig (1 Viewer)

Gotta be honest, I didn't think much of a lemonade stand/cart really but I volunteered at a street festival yesterday (playing the role of your friendly neighborhood garbageman) and it looked like the lemonade stand was always busy.

Breaking this up

The lady next to me decided not to do lemonade given there was already 2 of us, and that was our main product. She already had a food truck with funnel cakes and such, so they just stuck to that which was very nice of them.

Being I was late to begin with, then all this debating and walking down to ask to move, I was really behind setting up. Also I was alone b/c my buddy wasn't dropping his daughter (My helper for the day) off until right as the festival was opening.

I was still in set up mode when customers started visiting. I sure was not turning them away b/c of the competition, so it took me a while to really get set up. Plus being it was my first real event, I really hadn't battle tested the whole set up yet, things were def a bit disorgnazied for the first hour of so. We found our groove and had a good opening amount of customers, esp being we were at the far end of the festival.

As the day went on we had a very steady flow of customers, and I kept peeking over at the other tent and he maybe had 1 to my 5-6 customers. IDK what it was but people would walk up and gravitate toward my tent. Now the other guy did more then lemonade—shaved ice, iced coffee, and and served his in a fresh pineapple which im sure was a huge up charge, but looked very cool walking around with. But I also think his booth was a little intimidating looking with all that product. IDK? But we were def beating him in customer count...and it wasn't even close. Also, I didnt have my menu board out so no one knew my prices until they came to the tent.

He was a nice guy but you could tell he was getting very frustrated and the volume I was getting as the day went on. He had a partner in the tent so I would watch him make some drinks and start walking up and down the street with them, doing some walk-around marketing. Then by the end of the day he was offering free refills.

We kept a clicker to keep a drink tally and while we were not exact, we sold about 150 cups for a 6 hour festival day. People were raving about them and how good they tasted. So day 1 was def a success.

The best was that 2 ladies from a nearby medial office ordered 7 lemonades from me. They went to the other guy first but he didn't accept credit cards, so they brought the business to me. :P

That said, I have 2 (of 3) other nights with this organization, but we will see if they keep both of us, and/or move us to different locations. Unfortunately, the 1st night we have to miss b/c its my daughters graduation.

Last edited:
Breaking this up

The lady next to me decided not to do lemonade given there was already 2 of us, and that was our main product. She already had a food truck with funnel cakes and such, so they just stuck to that which was very nice of them.

Being I was late to begin with, then all this debating and walking down to ask to move, I was really behind setting up. Also I was alone b/c my buddy wasn't dropping his daughter (My helper for the day) off until right as the festival was opening.

I was still in set up mode when customers started visiting. I sure was not turning them away b/c of the competition, so it took me a while to really get set up. Plus being it was my first real event, I really hadn't battle tested the whole set up and organization of things yet. We found our groove and had a good opening amount of customers, esp being we were at the far end of the festival.

As the day went on we had a very steady flow of customers, and I kept peeking over at the other tent and he maybe had 1 to my 5-6 customers. IDK what it was but people would walk up and gravitate toward my tent. Now the other guy did more then lemonade—shaved ice, iced coffee, and and served his in a fresh pineapple which im sure was a huge up charge, but looked very cool walking around with. But I also think his booth was a little intimidating looking with all that product. IDK? But we were def beating him in customer count...and it wasn't even close. Also, I didnt have my menu board out so no one knew my prices until they came to the tent.

He was a nice guy but you could tell he was getting very frustrated and the volume I was getting as the day went on. He had a partner in the tend so I would watch him make some drinks and start walking up and down the street with them, doing some walk-around marketing. Then by the end of the day he was offering free refills.

We kept a clicker to keep a drink tally and while we were not exact, we sold about 150 cups for a 6 hour festival day. People were raving about them and how good they tasted. So day 1 was def a success.

That said, I have 2 (of 3) other nights with this organization, but we will see if they keep both of us, and/or move us to different locations. Unfortunately, the 1st night we have to miss b/c its my daughters graduation.
I think you found the reason for your outselling him. When I look at a booth with a lot of options it is overwhelming. If I see a booth selling the one thing I want at a reasonable price I will always go there.

Day 2: Another street fair, but this one was in the town next to me, so very close.

Being I'm on the board of neighboring Chamber of Commerce, I know a lot of the organizers, so not sure if that helped me, but I got a cherry of a spot. Pretty much dead center of the 1/3 mile festival. Not a food or drink vendor in my sightline. I saw one other lemonade guy toward the end of the festival as I was driving in to set up, but even though there was no direct competition near me, I left the menu at home and stayed with the same prices as the day before.

Plus I was next to a local politician's tent who I am very good friends with and his staff. We made a mistake in one drink and the politician (Nick) took it from us vs us tossing it. He was raving about how delicious it was to everyone on line, and I was backing him up with "Remember folks, he's an elected official, he's not allowed to lie!" lol

This was a longer festival, started at 10 and went to 5, however it rained off and on until about 12:30 and was very overcast—Not good lemonade weather. However once the clouds broke, it got hot...fast!!

My daughter was there for 1/2 the day b/c needing to go to work. Her friend had planned on relieving her. b/c of the weather, I debated calling her and telling her to forget it and wow what a mistake that would have been. We got crazy busy with times where the line was 3-5 deep. We had such a constant flow that I could barely find time to refresh the ice and water. I brought 3 6L tubs of sugar (a 1/4 cup goes in each drink, and each tub contained about 8 lbs of sugar), and I totally ran out of it by the end of the day.

My favorite flavor (a $9 cup) is Blue Raspberry which makes the drink a very cool, gatorade blue color, and its really delicious. We had so many people coming up asking "Is this where you get the blue lemonade???"

We lost count bc we were so busy and my daughters friend was not as diligent as my helper from the day before, but we estimate we did about 190 or more cups yesterday....and thats during a rain-shortened day.

Last edited:
Some photos:

This is our tent

This was the guy across from us, and the truck next to us.

Our 1st Instagram customer tag!!

and for any tinkerer guys, for BOH approval, we had to create a fully working, hot water running 3 compartment sink. So after some research my father and I built this monster off of a rolling cart, some steam pan trays, a cordless water pump, and an RV water heating unit. WE add the 4th Hand washing sink b/c I needed that too, even though that could have be separate.

The sink
the heater
the guts (not hooked up)

I def need to find a way of bing more portable and organized with things for the next show. Tools and suck in 1 bin, supplies in another, etc. But I'll get there,

I was really sweating the Board of Health inspection. I've never interacted with them except on the permits and such and they seemed very 'by the book' in the office and have the power to shut you down if they don't like what they see.. However the guy who came to my tent Saturday could not have been nicer. He congratulated me on my 1st event, and found a few minor things I needed to fix but was very nice about all of it.

all it really was were, boxes of product on the ground, I need to have a milk crate of something to get them up off the ground. And second I had a bottle of Windex sitting on a box of lemons and we need to keep chemicals away from product. It was more b/c of my rushed opening, I just missed it and he was totally chill about all of it.

Def a relief with the whole interaction and review.

Glad you started this. Its 108 degrees today and only getting hotter in AZ. im so glad I didnt go for entrepreneur guys 1.0 landscaping

Users who are viewing this thread