What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2007 Draft Class Roll Call (1 Viewer)

Without looking...

A : Cornerbacks. No fewer then half a dozen guys that may develop in to every down starters. Lots of size and speed in this group.

A- : Defensive Ends and DTackles. Two or three very good prospects at bith spots, plenty of depth.

A- : Safety. Landry, Nelson, Merriweather, and Griffin should be gone in the first 40 picks and should start for a long time.

B+ : Receiver. Lots of good prospects here but only one who looks like a future WR1. Reminds me of the 2001 class.

B: None

B - : O-line. Good depth at guard and tackle, but only 2 OTs that look like they're locks for the top 20.

B - : RB. Peterson and Lynch, gap to Leonard, big gap to a handful of upside guys with plenty yet tot prove on the field.

B - : QB. Considering last years class and next years class, this is not a great QB draft.

B - : LB. Willis is stong, and then about 4 or 5 more that should develop in to starters. However, the superstars look thin.

I don't agree with the grades very much, so here is my take:

QB: C+, I don't see either of the top 2 prospects as franchise caliber players at QB, but I have begun to fall in love with the 2nd tier of the class. It looks like a deep and talented tier 2 with guys like Stanton, Beck, Kolb and Edwards. Even the 3rd tier has proven leaders and playmakers in Smith and Leak.

RB: C, Peterson is a great prospect and Lynch is only a step behind, but after that the class is rather mediocre. Many have spent lots of time discussing this, so I wont. Moving on...

WR: A, One of the best WR classes in recent memory IMO. Johnson is the best WR prospect in years and in any other draft the next 5-6 guys could all challenge for the top WR spot. I think there are several players with a great chance to become impact NFL players in the class. Johnson tops that list (duh) but all of: Ginn, Meachem, Bowe, Rice and Jarrett have tremendous playmaking ability. The 2nd tier is just as deap as the 1st and I'd also say this 2nd tier is about where last years 1st WRs (Holmes and Jackson) would fall. Davis, Smith, Gonzalez, Hill, Higgins and Allison are all fantastic prospects in their own right. I've said for about 3 years now that this 2007 draft would be the class of WRs and I still see nothing to back down from that.

TE: C, Olsen looks to me like a great playmaker at the NFL level but he leaves something to be desired on the physical side of his game. Unlike the past several years, there really isn't an elite TE in this class. Olsen tops the group and maybe close. Others that are only a step behind Olsen are Miller and Patrick. Then you get the extended Tackle, Chandler who IMO is unique vs the other prospects. The 3rd tier may offer some surprises, but I'm not seeing anything to get excited about.

Oline: B+, This is a very solid draft class for the Oline and teams looking to build from the ground up have to be excited. There is one sure fire franchise Tackle prospect as well as a stud G and C (Thomas, Grubbs and Kalil). Both Brown and Blalock are only a hair behind the elite guys at their position and then you have Sears, Ugoh and Staley who are also only a hair bellow them. I'd say there are probably 6 Olinemen with 1st round talent (or close to it) in this draft even though a few of those guys have and will slip.

Dline: B-, Now this is a tough one for me personally. I really love the DTs in this draft, but don't share the excitement of many other for the DEs. Several Dlinemen are grading out as blue chip guys: Okoye, Branch, Adams, Carriker and Anderson. Of this group, I like the 2 DTs and Carriker the most. I'm not as found of Adams as most as I see him as too one dimensional and Anderson should probably be in the next tier IMO. That 2nd tier is better than average and deep however. Johnson, Spencer, Moss, Woodley, Harrell and Tyler make up a sound 2nd tier and one that is better than most classes.

LB: C, Not a very good LB class IMO. I think Willis is a stud and stand out above this class in the same way that Calvin and Adrian do in the WR/RB classes. After that, I see a bunch of players that really need to be drafted into the right situation and an overall average 2nd tier. Timmons, Beason, Shaw, Bradley and Harris are the guys I like most after Willis.

CB: C, I have not been impressed with this CB class at all which makes me kind of sad. I think some nice 40 times have really raised the draft stock of athletes who's abilities have not shown to transfer as well onto the football field as their numbers would indicate. I wouldn't feel comfortable placing any of these prospects in consistent man to man though several could make strong impacts in a cover 2. None of the CBs in this years draft possess the kind of ball skills to be elite players IMO. I don't see any clear #1 player in this group and that is concerning. I suppose Hall and Revis grade out the best but I happen to like Houston and McCauley the most. I feel they have the best chance to transfer their skills into not only a cover 2 CB, but an aggressive man cover guy as well. Ross and Wade both enter the mix as well.

S: A-, I really love this Safety class as it seems full of playmakers with great ball skills. Landry is the obvious elite prospect here and reminds many of S. Taylor. He has the complete package of size, speed, range, ball skills, aggression and hitting/tackling. The only thing he may lack is some discipline in coverage. After Landry, the 2nd tier is outstanding as well. Nelson, Griffin and Mariweather are all flat football players who cover the field well and can probably even counter as CBs in man coverage a lot of times. Rouse and Weddle need not be overlooked as they would likely be 2nd tier in any other year. After these 6, there is a strong drop-off. I would say there are not many S classes with 6 football players this good however. So it is a top heavy class, but still a good one.

Overall class gets a C+ from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering a C grade = Average

I like this QB class. I think it has more future long term starters than most realize.

Baca QBs = C

jurb QBs = C+

Chaos C QBs = B+

I do not like these RBs but I do find them very interesting in variety

Baca RBs = C

jurb RBs = C

Chaos C RBs = D+

I love me some WRs (next year too)

Baca WRs = B+

jurb WRs = A

Chaos C WRs = A+

Bad TE class, imo. One guy whose claim to fame is being a WR in a TE body who cannot produce and a bunch a junk.

Baca TEs = C

jurb TEs = C

Chaos C TEs = F

I don't care for this OL crop at all either. Next year rocks though. Long and Baker will fall when the beasts are scouted.

Baca OLs = B

jurb OLs = B+

Chaos C OLs = D

The DLs have some potential, but in comparisom this isn't a great crop. I give them a little bump above average for depth at tackle, but the DEs are way overrated as a group.

Baca DLs = A

jurb DLs = B-

Chaos C DLs = C+

I hate to be so picky, but these LBs do not get me excited after a very short group of prospects. jurb agrees this isn't a good class, maybe a C is a worse than average grade in his thinking?

Baca LBs = C

jurb LBs = C

Chaos C LBs = D-

I like several of these DBs but then I always do. Overall this group is average not above.

Baca DBs = B+

jurb DBs = C for corners and A- for safeties

Chaos C DBs = C

Considering a C grade = Average I like this QB class. I think it has more future long term starters than most realize.Baca QBs = Cjurb QBs = C+Chaos C QBs = B+I do not like these RBs but I do find them very interesting in varietyBaca RBs = Cjurb RBs = CChaos C RBs = D+I love me some WRs (next year too)Baca WRs = B+jurb WRs = AChaos C WRs = A+Bad TE class, imo. One guy whose claim to fame is being a WR in a TE body who cannot produce and a bunch a junk. Baca TEs = Cjurb TEs = CChaos C TEs = FI don't care for this OL crop at all either. Next year rocks though. Long and Baker will fall when the beasts are scouted. Baca OLs = Bjurb OLs = B+Chaos C OLs = DThe DLs have some potential, but in comparisom this isn't a great crop. I give them a little bump above average for depth at tackle, but the DEs are way overrated as a group. Baca DLs = Ajurb DLs = B-Chaos C DLs = C+I hate to be so picky, but these LBs do not get me excited after a very short group of prospects. jurb agrees this isn't a good class, maybe a C is a worse than average grade in his thinking?Baca LBs = Cjurb LBs = CChaos C LBs = D-I like several of these DBs but then I always do. Overall this group is average not above.Baca DBs = B+jurb DBs = C for corners and A- for safetiesChaos C DBs = C
Wow I'd hate to be in your class and weigh more than 240lbs. :lmao: I am really excited as well to see this years class of WR's flourish over the next few years and see who seperates themselves from the pack.

Wow I'd hate to be in your class and weigh more than 240lbs. :X I am really excited as well to see this years class of WR's flourish over the next few years and see who seperates themselves from the pack.
Not last year! I loved the big fatsos.04 and 06 were exceptionally good classes. 05 was below average. I think this class is closer to 05 than 04 or 06. Very little of my opinion forms after the bowl games. I remember very clearly watching football every saturday in 05, and every game seemed to reveal a very good prospect who seemed underrated or relatively unknown. Last year, watching games every saturday, a wr would make everyone else look bad, and all the top prospects they wanted to hype would struggle. I can give too many examples of top prospects like Brown and Hall, and the whole Texas secondary (three will be drafted, two quite early), many of the Florida prospects. Gaines Adams had a 4th round eval last year, and he's still the same cat, just a year older and smarter, but no first rounder last year. Okoye was dominated several times last year. He was pulled for fatigue and in short yardage late in games. That's all on film. I'll stop, but... this is a below average draft. There are some VERY nice talents, and I'm sure some surprises will emerge in camp as always, but on the surface... I'd trade my picks this year for a jackpot of them next year.

Wow I'd hate to be in your class and weigh more than 240lbs. :mellow: I am really excited as well to see this years class of WR's flourish over the next few years and see who seperates themselves from the pack.
Not last year! I loved the big fatsos.04 and 06 were exceptionally good classes. 05 was below average. I think this class is closer to 05 than 04 or 06. Very little of my opinion forms after the bowl games. I remember very clearly watching football every saturday in 05, and every game seemed to reveal a very good prospect who seemed underrated or relatively unknown. Last year, watching games every saturday, a wr would make everyone else look bad, and all the top prospects they wanted to hype would struggle. I can give too many examples of top prospects like Brown and Hall, and the whole Texas secondary (three will be drafted, two quite early), many of the Florida prospects. Gaines Adams had a 4th round eval last year, and he's still the same cat, just a year older and smarter, but no first rounder last year. Okoye was dominated several times last year. He was pulled for fatigue and in short yardage late in games. That's all on film. I'll stop, but... this is a below average draft. There are some VERY nice talents, and I'm sure some surprises will emerge in camp as always, but on the surface... I'd trade my picks this year for a jackpot of them next year.
I agree that the class as a whole is not very good but I still believe that the D-line is very good this year. A year older and smarter can go a very long way, especially at a position where reaction is key to success. I agree with the comment about the receivers as well but the college game is gearing itself more toward a pro style attack with the number of pro assistants and coaches now in the college ranks. Not to take away from the skills of the receivers because losing a corner today takes the same moves it took twenty years ago and this class is deep with guys that can lose corners with ease.This is also great for receivers who before had a huge learning curve and that curve will be drastically reduced very soon as these guys enter the NFL with a wealth of knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I'd hate to be in your class and weigh more than 240lbs. :goodposting:

I am really excited as well to see this years class of WR's flourish over the next few years and see who seperates themselves from the pack.
Not last year! I loved the big fatsos.04 and 06 were exceptionally good classes. 05 was below average. I think this class is closer to 05 than 04 or 06. Very little of my opinion forms after the bowl games. I remember very clearly watching football every saturday in 05, and every game seemed to reveal a very good prospect who seemed underrated or relatively unknown. Last year, watching games every saturday, a wr would make everyone else look bad, and all the top prospects they wanted to hype would struggle.

I can give too many examples of top prospects like Brown and Hall, and the whole Texas secondary (three will be drafted, two quite early), many of the Florida prospects. Gaines Adams had a 4th round eval last year, and he's still the same cat, just a year older and smarter, but no first rounder last year. Okoye was dominated several times last year. He was pulled for fatigue and in short yardage late in games. That's all on film. I'll stop, but... this is a below average draft. There are some VERY nice talents, and I'm sure some surprises will emerge in camp as always, but on the surface... I'd trade my picks this year for a jackpot of them next year.
I agree that the class as a whole is not very good but I still believe that the D-line is very good this year. A year older and smarter can go a very long way, especially at a position where reaction is key to success. I agree with the comment about the receivers as well but the college game is gearing itself more toward a pro style attack with the number of pro assistants and coaches now in the college ranks. Not to take away from the skills of the receivers because losing a corner today takes the same moves it took twenty years ago and this class is deep with guys that can lose corners with ease.This is also great for receivers who before had a huge learning curve and that curve will be drastically reduced very soon as these guys enter the NFL with a wealth of knowledge
You're touching on something I have wanted to write about in the run up to this draft. A crazy work schedule and a big project have made writing about the draft impossible this year. And now I have burns on the fingertips of both hands so this is a slow painful process today... BUT...
... the college game is gearing itself more toward a pro style attack with the number of pro assistants and coaches now in the college ranks.
I think this may prove huge over the next decade. Rookies, in general, are going to be better in comparison to NFL vets than they have in the past. For decades the college game was geared primarily to the run and rookie RBs often produced huge seasons. I always saw that as the value of young legs powering fresh bodies with low miles at a mostly instinctive position. Wide receiver was much more complicated and takes a few years and many bust. That I believe may be changing. With the passing game being emphasized by NFL quality coaches, I think that bust factor is going to decrease and we are going to see WRs fresh out of college ready to start and sometimes star. On the other hand the quality of RBs may suffer. And on the other hand yet, QBs and OLs will be improved.

Was just looking through this thread and got to thinking that Chris Houston, Atl is really looking like a strong young CB. Should be receiving greater responsibility this year now that Hall is gone. :X

Users who are viewing this thread