What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flashback 10 years. 2014 draft - who would you have rather your team drafted? (Pick 3) (1 Viewer)

Who would you have preferred your team to have taken?

• Derek Carr

• Aaron Donald

• Zack Martin

• Khalil Mack

• Jadeveon Clowney

• Devonte Adams

• Mike Evans

• Odell Beckham Jr

• CJ Mosley

• Joel Bitonio

Results are only viewable after voting.

-OZ-

Footballguy
Looking back at the 2014 draft. What players make your top 3, from what you would have liked your favorite NFL team to have drafted? (Number one seems like a landslide but then it gets interesting).

Please explain your choice, and who else warranted consideration?

Any thoughts on the class as a whole?

In hindsight the class was a fairly solid one, but not the best we’ve seen. A few HoF types, some very good players too.

feel free to take into account your team’s situation at the time.

Last edited:
I remember that draft well. I really really wanted Evans but after that 40 time, I realized he wasn't making it to Detroit. So I think trading up for him would have been a smart move after we see how the careers played out. I also really liked the idea of pairing Aaron Donald with Suh and giving us a plan for when Suh left. It's especially tough because the Lions had a really good 2014 season (narrowly lost to Dallas in the playoffs). It's not too hard to see how the presence of Evans or Donald leads to a real run in those playoffs. I would have been happy with Zach Martin too.

I looked at this draft thinking Odunze / Nabers reminds me of Evans / OBJ, although Adams (and Watkins) clearly wasn’t Harrison level.

But it also serves as a reminder that even if a player is clearly ahead through 3 years, like OBJ was, that doesn’t mean he’ll stay there.

Donald and Mack are the clear #1 and #2. Donald might be the best defensive player in NFL history. 10 seasons and he's never been anything other than elite. Mack's probably been elite for 60% of his career, and never worse than good.

I voted Davante Adams for my 3rd spot, but that was just because he was the next best guy listed, I'd actually make an argument for the perpetually underrated DeMarcus Lawrence as my 3rd guy.

All in all, I'd call it a decent class, with a few likely future HOFers, but Carr being really the only QB keeps it from being a great class. I mean, the 2nd best QB was probably Garoppolo. Who was the best DB? Kyle Fuller? Jason Verrett if he'd stayed healthy? Great DL, OL, and WR draft, pretty lacking otherwise.

Packers took Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at #21 and instead of that... hmm, hard to say. The other DBs drafted around there didn't have much better careers.

I'd rather have DeMarcus Lawrence at #21 except that never would have happened because GB had just drafted Datone Jones to start at DE the previous year. The good players in that stretch of the draft weren't at positions they needed.

O-lineman are probably the unsung heroes of the NFL as they don't generally tocuh the ball or produce any type of well-known statistics, but still I find it funny that 5 of 30 people have selected Zack Martin and I had no idea who he was. (Funny in that I didn't know of someone who is clearly so impactful. Not saying that it was a comical decision to vote for him him.)

O-lineman are probably the unsung heroes of the NFL as they don't generally tocuh the ball or produce any type of well-known statistics, but still I find it funny that 5 of 30 people have selected Zack Martin and I had no idea who he was. (Funny in that I didn't know of someone who is clearly so impactful. Not saying that it was a comical decision to vote for him him.)
Martin probably would have been my 4th or 5th choice on this list, but I'm a little surprised you (or anyone who plays fantasy) wouldn't know who he is, as he and Tyron Smith had a lot more to do with the success of the Dallas running game than Ezekiel Elliott ever did.

I think that OL recognition thing goes both ways. Guys are somewhat unheard of, but then once they are, they coast on reputation more than play for years. Martin was a 1st team all-pro this season, despite playing the worst he's ever played, and probably not even being the best Guard on the Cowboys. Same thing often happens with highly drafted OL. If they are on successful offenses, they get credit because people remember who they are. I look at a guy like Austin Jackson who was a gigantic liability in Miami for years and only this year wasn't (where he still only made the leap to average) but because the offense was so good, he's viewed as good because he was a 1st round pick. Or like how Pouncey kept getting pro bowls and all-pro nods on the Steelers, despite the fact that he was a pretty mediocre player for much of his career, but he started pretty strong, and was a 1st rounder, so he just kept getting credit.

My question is who is voting for Clowney?

I remember that draft well. I really really wanted Evans but after that 40 time, I realized he wasn't making it to Detroit. So I think trading up for him would have been a smart move after we see how the careers played out. I also really liked the idea of pairing Aaron Donald with Suh and giving us a plan for when Suh left. It's especially tough because the Lions had a really good 2014 season (narrowly lost to Dallas in the playoffs). It's not too hard to see how the presence of Evans or Donald leads to a real run in those playoffs. I would have been happy with Zach Martin too.
I remember that draft well too. I thought the Raiders were finally going to build a team with Mack and Carr. And then Gruden happened.

Martin probably would have been my 4th or 5th choice on this list, but I'm a little surprised you (or anyone who plays fantasy) wouldn't know who he is, as he and Tyron Smith had a lot more to do with the success of the Dallas running game than Ezekiel Elliott ever did.

I think that OL recognition thing goes both ways. Guys are somewhat unheard of, but then once they are, they coast on reputation more than play for years. Martin was a 1st team all-pro this season, despite playing the worst he's ever played, and probably not even being the best Guard on the Cowboys. Same thing often happens with highly drafted OL. If they are on successful offenses, they get credit because people remember who they are. I look at a guy like Austin Jackson who was a gigantic liability in Miami for years and only this year wasn't (where he still only made the leap to average) but because the offense was so good, he's viewed as good because he was a 1st round pick. Or like how Pouncey kept getting pro bowls and all-pro nods on the Steelers, despite the fact that he was a pretty mediocre player for much of his career, but he started pretty strong, and was a 1st rounder, so he just kept getting credit.

My question is who is voting for Clowney?
I'm a Bengals fan, we don't remember what o-linemen are for, let alone their names.

Donald has been the best defensive player this decade, so he was a lock.

Martin I guess I voted for on reputation alone according to travdogg.

Evans I voted for because I think he's actually been the best out of that bunch of receivers. Adams is a really close second, and OBJ in his first few years was better than both but got derailed by attitude, trade, and injury.

I remember Donald getting hyped that certain people I trusted thought he should go really high like 2 after Clowney

Demarcus Lawrence not a consideration?

For me it would be:

Donald
Mack
Adams
Martin
Lawrence
Bitonio
Evans
Beckham

Lol at Derek Carr on the list.

Aaron Donald. My team thought Eric Ebron was a wiser choice.

Martin Mayhew submitted the pick 30 seconds after they went on the clock.

The next 7 players drafted after Ebron:
  • LT Taylor Lewan
  • WR OBJ
  • DT AD
  • CB Kyle Fuller
  • LB Ryan Shazier
  • G Zack Martin
  • LB C.J. Mosley.
Every one of them went to multiple Pro Bowls. 34 Pro Bowls and 16 All Pro Seasons in total. #85 went to one Pro Bowl, his 13 TD year in Indianapolis after Detroit declined his 5th year option.

Aaron Donald. My team thought Eric Ebron was a wiser choice.

Martin Mayhew submitted the pick 30 seconds after they went on the clock.

The next 7 players drafted after Ebron:
  • LT Taylor Lewan
  • WR OBJ
  • DT AD
  • CB Kyle Fuller
  • LB Ryan Shazier
  • G Zack Martin
  • LB C.J. Mosley.
Every one of them went to multiple Pro Bowls. 34 Pro Bowls and 16 All Pro Seasons in total. #85 went to one Pro Bowl, his 13 TD year in Indianapolis after Detroit declined his 5th year option.
The lack of success among TEs drafted top ten is astounding. Hockensen is probably the best in recent drafts. VD had a solid career but never lived up to the hype.
It’s almost enough to give second thoughts about Bowers.

Dolphins took Juwan James at tackle and Bullygate kind of ruined him. Still, not a lot of tackles in that draft so I am not sure Miami would have done better in terms of need (he did start for 2 seasons). They did take landry in the second so they hit ok there. I guess, with hindsight, a LB or Edge rusher would have been a better pick (miami drafted those in later rounds). We had just drafted Tannyhill so a QB was not in the cards.

I voted Donald, Mack and Zach Martin. Game is won in the trenches.

Same here. As a Texans fan, while Clowney played at a decently high level, pairing Donald or Mack with JJ Watt would have been something to see. And outside of them, a top offensive lineman would have been good, especially as they let Brandon Brooks go just in time to miss out on his 3 Pro Bowl seasons.

The 2014 draft class had so many good WR who performed well in their rookie seasons that I think it changed our expectations a bit on rookie WR.

That said I don't have a WR in my top 3 from this class. I think the 3 pass rushers were the best players here.

I voted Donald, Mack and Zach Martin. Game is won in the trenches.

Same here. As a Texans fan, while Clowney played at a decently high level, pairing Donald or Mack with JJ Watt would have been something to see. And outside of them, a top offensive lineman would have been good, especially as they let Brandon Brooks go just in time to miss out on his 3 Pro Bowl seasons.

Brooks was good. That was some OL that Philly put together.

Users who are viewing this thread