What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Police State / Drug War thread (1 Viewer)

Really frightening. Carry cash = criminal. Reminds me of all the new state unclaimed property laws.(state takes unclaimed property after as little as 6 months) NJ wants unused gift card balances too.

Really frightening. Carry cash = criminal. Reminds me of all the new state unclaimed property laws.(state takes unclaimed property after as little as 6 months) NJ wants unused gift card balances too.
That's an amazing precedent that cop set as reasoning for taking Reby's money. In response to the admission that he couldn't prove Reby was going to use it for drugs, he said "he couldn't prove it was legitimate."

Post obscene abuses of power by police, military and associated authority figures in this thread right here.

Here's one: Man Loses $22,000 in New 'Policing For Profit' Case
Unbelievable. had that been me, I probably would have been arrested because I would have gone ape#### at such an obvious shakedown by the cop. And with no evidence other than "well, normal people don't carry 22K in cash".

Last edited by a moderator:
Post obscene abuses of power by police, military and associated authority figures in this thread right here.

This has been going on for a long time. Sheriff Bob Vogel was doing this on I-95 outside Daytona 20 years ago.
A Monterey police officer wanted to know if he was carrying any large amounts of cash.

"I said, 'Around $20,000,'" he recalled. "Then, at the point, he said, 'Do you mind if I search your vehicle?' I said, 'No, I don't mind.' I certainly didn't feel I was doing anything wrong. It was my money."

That's when Officer Larry Bates confiscated the cash based on his suspicion that it was drug money.
Never volunteer anything to the police.Do you have a large amount of cash? The answer is no.

Can I search your car? The answer is no.

That's good advice Christo, but in reality police have a way of 'finding' just cause to search when you tell them 'no'.

Vogel's department took cash from people returning to South Florida immediately after Andrew when they needed cash to buy building supplies down there.

I used to box with the ma state police boxing team and i can say that they are for the most part all good dudes...just dont get on there bad side ;)

I used to box with the ma state police boxing team and i can say that they are for the most part all good dudes...just dont get on there bad side ;)
Definitely true. One time I was wrapping up the install of a security system for a former police officer. He asked me if I smoked marijuana and I told him that I like to smoke here and there. Then he told me how he could have me arrested for making that admission (jokingly of course). I laughed with him and it wasn't a big deal. He even mentioned that his son living with him smoked himself. But the authoritarian streak I've noticed in most cops is ridiculous. They put on that little black uniform and it's like they run the world.

That's good advice Christo, but in reality police have a way of 'finding' just cause to search when you tell them 'no'.
Not unless they're really willing to hang something on you. Most are just looking for low hanging fruit. It falls in the "it never hurts to ask" column.

Not unless they're really willing to hang something on you. Most are just looking for low hanging fruit. It falls in the "it never hurts to ask" column.
He allowed the officer to search. Why should he expect that having a large amount of cash is enough reason in itself to have it confiscated? I can't find the article now, but around two years ago, the Detroit Free Press had an article that Michigan's police are confiscating money and possessions are a record level. Many of the people having their possessions taken are not being charged or convicted of any crimes and many are finding it difficult to get their possessions back.

He allowed the officer to search. Why should he expect that having a large amount of cash is enough reason in itself to have it confiscated? I can't find the article now, but around two years ago, the Detroit Free Press had an article that Michigan's police are confiscating money and possessions are a record level. Many of the people having their possessions taken are not being charged or convicted of any crimes and many are finding it difficult to get their possessions back.
I guess he didn't read the same article you did.

I was just curious if you have a good answer or is it just status quo that carrying a large amount of cash is suspicion enough to have it taken?I couldn't find the article, but I found this interesting article about the Michigan State Police confiscating cell phone data.

Since at least 2008, State Police in Michigan have been operating under a policy that lets them extract and search all the data on your cell phone without a warrant, without your consent and without any reason to believe you might have done anything wrong.

They extract the data using one of five mobile computer-forensic devices the agency bought from CelleBrite that can bypass your own security and snag all your pictures, text messages, email and documents and even GPS data.

I was just curious if you have a good answer or is it just status quo that carrying a large amount of cash is suspicion enough to have it taken?
Why else would a cop ask out of the blue if you have a large amount of cash?

This has been going on for a long time. Sheriff Bob Vogel was doing this on I-95 outside Daytona 20 years ago.
A Monterey police officer wanted to know if he was carrying any large amounts of cash.

"I said, 'Around $20,000,'" he recalled. "Then, at the point, he said, 'Do you mind if I search your vehicle?' I said, 'No, I don't mind.' I certainly didn't feel I was doing anything wrong. It was my money."

That's when Officer Larry Bates confiscated the cash based on his suspicion that it was drug money.
Never volunteer anything to the police.Do you have a large amount of cash? The answer is no.

Can I search your car? The answer is no.
Agreed, but more to the point of this thread, it shouldn't have to be that way in the "Land of the Free".

Not a fan of the title but if you don't think we have ceded way to much authority to law enforcement you haven't been paying attention.

Chicago cops' new weapon

The tech behind population control has come a long way.
It sure has. Alot better than beating someone with a stick. :thumbup: to the Chicago PD for looking out for the safety of these idiot protesters.
Those idiots are citizens and are exercising a right plenty of people have died to secure.
And the police aren't beating them. What's the issue here?
Permanent hearing loss?

Chicago cops' new weapon

It sure has. Alot better than beating someone with a stick. :thumbup: to the Chicago PD for looking out for the safety of these idiot protesters.
Those idiots are citizens and are exercising a right plenty of people have died to secure.
Permanent hearing loss?
What?

Generally, the person usually has a due process right to a hearing for forfeitures like this, but I've litigated a few and it's an uphill battle for sure. Hate seeing this stuff.

Chicago cops' new weapon

Be easy on Chad here. It's a good thing to have unquestioning love for your rulers, because everyone knows this country was founded on bootlicking.

Never volunteer anything to the police.Do you have a large amount of cash? The answer is no.Can I search your car? The answer is no.
I'm not sure I understand this. It doesn't seem like he volunteered the part about the cash, at least the way I read the article. It seems like he was asked directly by the cop.Are you legally allowed to lie to a cop when he asks a question like that? I get that the cop would have had no way of knowing that he was lying. But I've always been taught that the best way to handle a traffic stop is to answer all questions honestly but to never consent to a search, even if you are doing nothing wrong.For instance, in this situation, let's say the guy says "no" when asked if he has a large amount of cash, but then the cop decides that he smells weed in the car and searches it based on what he will say is probably cause. Then he finds the money. Now, the guy has lied about that part...how does that impact him going forward?

Krauthammer On Drones Flying In US: "Stop It Here, Stop It Now"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/05/14/krauthammer_on_drones_flying_in_us_stop_it_here_stop_it_now.html#.T7JuWmoBnn5.facebook

"I'm going to go hard left on you here, I'm going ACLU," syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer said in opposition to the use of drones on the U.S. homeland. "I don't want regulations, I don't want restrictions, I want a ban on this. Drones are instruments of war. The Founders had a great aversion to any instruments of war, the use of the military inside even the United States. It didn't like standing armies, it has all kinds of statutes of using the army in the country."

"A drone is a high-tech version of an old army and a musket. It ought to be used in Somalia to hunt bad guys but not in America. I don't want to see it hovering over anybody's home. Yes, you can say we have satellites, we've got Google Street View and London has a camera on every street corner but that's not an excuse to cave in on everything else and accept a society where you're always under -- being watched by the government. This is not what we want," Krauthammer said on the panel portion of FOX News' "Special Report."

"I would say that you ban it under all circumstances and I would predict, I'm not encouraging, but I an predicting that the first guy who uses a Second Amendment weapon to bring a drone down that's been hovering over his house is going to be a folk hero in this country," Krauthammer said tonight.

"I would say the price of liberty. You can hear a helicopter, you can't hear a drone. You know, if you hear a helicopter you hide under a bush. Well, you can't with this which is why it's effective in Pakistan and elsewhere. It's deft and it's silent. I don't think we want a society where if there are the objects, hovering over streaming, real-time information about you, your family, your car, your location," Krauthammer said later in the segment.

"It's not worth it," he said.

"The Founders we're deeply opposed to the militarization of civil society. There is all kinds of aversions to it and this is importing it because, as you say, it's cheap, it's easy, it's silent. It's something that you can easily deploy. It's going to be, I think the bane of our existence. Stop it here, stop it now," Krauthammer said at the end of the panel segment. "Strong letter to follow."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/05/14/krauthammer_on_drones_flying_in_us_stop_it_here_stop_it_now.html#.T7JuWmoBnn5.facebook

"I'm going to go hard left on you here, I'm going ACLU," syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer said in opposition to the use of drones on the U.S. homeland. "I don't want regulations, I don't want restrictions, I want a ban on this. Drones are instruments of war. The Founders had a great aversion to any instruments of war, the use of the military inside even the United States. It didn't like standing armies, it has all kinds of statutes of using the army in the country."

"A drone is a high-tech version of an old army and a musket. It ought to be used in Somalia to hunt bad guys but not in America. I don't want to see it hovering over anybody's home. Yes, you can say we have satellites, we've got Google Street View and London has a camera on every street corner but that's not an excuse to cave in on everything else and accept a society where you're always under -- being watched by the government. This is not what we want," Krauthammer said on the panel portion of FOX News' "Special Report."

"I would say that you ban it under all circumstances and I would predict, I'm not encouraging, but I an predicting that the first guy who uses a Second Amendment weapon to bring a drone down that's been hovering over his house is going to be a folk hero in this country," Krauthammer said tonight.

"I would say the price of liberty. You can hear a helicopter, you can't hear a drone. You know, if you hear a helicopter you hide under a bush. Well, you can't with this which is why it's effective in Pakistan and elsewhere. It's deft and it's silent. I don't think we want a society where if there are the objects, hovering over streaming, real-time information about you, your family, your car, your location," Krauthammer said later in the segment.

"The Founders we're deeply opposed to the militarization of civil society. There is all kinds of aversions to it and this is importing it because, as you say, it's cheap, it's easy, it's silent. It's something that you can easily deploy. It's going to be, I think the bane of our existence. Stop it here, stop it now," Krauthammer said at the end of the panel segment. "Strong letter to follow."
Can't remember ever saying this before. I agree completely with Charles on this.

Chicago cops' new weapon

Though I am sick of the whining from some of these groups every night that I turn on the local news because they are not being allowed to do everything they want to do, exactly where they want to do it, and how they want to do it- the idiot protesters that I am talking about are the ones causing problems and thus in confrontation with Chicago PD. If you come to my city with the purpose of vandalizing or worse- you are an idiot. I still think the Chicago PD is doing a great job in looking out for these idiots even while they keep law and order in the streets.

Chicago cops' new weapon

Permanent hearing loss?
I have seen these types of units displayed on tv shows like Futureweapons. The host and manufacturers had it used on them. It is just a way to cry another boy who sees a wolf behind every corner and cries 'police state'.

Chicago cops' new weapon

Permanent hearing loss?
I have seen these types of units displayed on tv shows like Futureweapons. The host and manufacturers had it used on them. It is just a way to cry another boy who sees a wolf behind every corner and cries 'police state'.
Honest question: so this device can't cause permanent hearing loss?

So if I shoot one down, do I get to keep it like Iran? Kind of like an NFL ball going into the stands? :shrug:

I am not an expert, but from what I remember- they do not have any long term issues like hearing loss if used properly i.e. the right distance, short bursts and/or level. Above the 140 decibel level you are at risk of hearing damage even in short bursts. The really powerful one shown on Futureweapons tops out at 150. (you can see the green, yellow, red on the volume level). Which is about what a rock concert is.
So, the answer is yes you can get perm hearing loss- if it is on too high or you stay in it's sound waves or if you are too close. But as you can see with Mack, at the green level (I am going to guess that is somewhere in the 100-125 range it is similar to being around power tools without ear protection) it is enough to make you uncomfortable and think about what you are doing.

So if I shoot one down, do I get to keep it like Iran? Kind of like an NFL ball going into the stands? :shrug:
You can get Obama to sign it then put it on Ebay.

I am not an expert, but from what I remember- they do not have any long term issues like hearing loss if used properly i.e. the right distance, short bursts and/or level. Above the 140 decibel level you are at risk of hearing damage even in short bursts. The really powerful one shown on Futureweapons tops out at 150. (you can see the green, yellow, red on the volume level). Which is about what a rock concert is.
Yeah because the people running into pepper spray to get away from it were just uncomfortable. And of course we all know no police officer will ever use an allegedly non-lethal weapon in a way it becomes harmful and even lethal. Never any news of that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread